• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cowboy Hat Or Baseball Cap?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Think 'H is ignoring me, BMR? 😁
A guy has two goats a decade ago and I can't ever live it down 😂
Those two little old goats made the kids grin but they were a handful to keep penned up. Thankfully we've been goat free for a long long time. There are several kids in our valley who raise and show goats. They sure enjoy it. But that goat smell will curdle your milk.

A guy has two goats a decade ago and I can't ever live it down 😂
Those two little old goats made the kids grin but they were a handful to keep penned up. Thankfully we've been goat free for a long long time. There are several kids in our valley who raise and show goats. They sure enjoy it. But that goat smell will curdle your milk.
Dying laughing!!! 🤣😂🤣 Wait til I wipe my eyes. Glad you didn't disappoint me, 'H.

So with this past forum knowledge, I will keep mum about my years with dairy goats and also Texas Angoras on my great uncle's cattle ranch. He claimed the goats were my great aunties and he hated them. I never bought that but auntie did enjoy her goats and sported Angora skin (with hair) chaps.

The bucks are the ones that stink due to unprintable behavior, but the does smell fine. Not a milk fan either goat or cow, but great for raising orphan calves and making butter and cheese. So now my reputation is tarnished, but let it be known I never raised pigs, Shetland ponies, turkeys, rabbits, peacocks, or chinchillas.

I too wear a Stormy Kromer in the winter. I have the rancher model. It is a real warm hat. We had a pretty mild winter this year I think I only wore it two times this year.

I have raised pigs for the freezer a number of times. The kids had a couple goats for goat tying practice. Rabbits to eat. Chickens for both the eggs and meat. But I never once owned a sheep. A man can only stoop just so low.

If you nuke snakes I am in deep trouble. There are a few snakes here. The most rattlers I have killed in a single day is 6. The guy I bought this place from only killed them if they were in the yard. I kill everyone I see.

I could not figure out what a Stormy Kormer hat was, so I looked it up.
We call them Scotch Caps and we wear them when it's cold too. "Normal changes every 50 miles." 😊

Had a friend visit from Texas, originally from Montana, a few years ago. He went to the store in town and bought himself and several friends these hats. This year in Texas, they were glad to have them!!

Last edited:
Faster
I could not figure out what a Stormy Kormer hat was, so I looked it up.
We call them Scotch Caps and we wear them when it's cold too. "Normal changes every 50 miles." 😊

Had a friend visit from Texas, originally from Montana, a few years ago. He went to the store in town and bought himself and several friends these hats. This year in Texas, they were glad to have them!!
Faster horses the Scotch Cap is a taller round cap the stormy Kromer is more of a Railroader cap with the laces in the front. I had a Stormy Kromer type cap that the ear flaps were long enough to cover the ears. I got a new one and it only covered about half my ears.
I bought 3 or 4 caps from a western store close out. Kind of a oil skin but the flap are good and long and have a lace with a slide that can cinch them down tight in the cold and wind.

@webfoot Yes, where you live is prime rattlesnake country. I once worked with a guy that made money milking the rattlesnakes that live in the rocks along the Powder River in those rocky turns before Richland. I had a rattlesnake hatband with an elkhorn tip clip for my homemade leather hat back in the 1980s. It came from a snake I killed when I was working up the Snake River from Farewell Bend. One of the hands had his wife skin and cook it. It wasn't my favorite meat and no it didn't taste like chicken. Better than Muskrat, but that isn't saying much. Thought I would add that since this thread is about hats hahaha! I hate snakes!!!

@webfoot Yes, where you live is prime rattlesnake country. I once worked with a guy that made money milking the rattlesnakes that live in the rocks along the Powder River in those rocky turns before Richland. I had a rattlesnake hatband with an elkhorn tip clip for my homemade leather hat back in the 1980s. It came from a snake I killed when I was working up the Snake River from Farewell Bend. One of the hands had his wife skin and cook it. It wasn't my favorite meat and no it didn't taste like chicken. Better than Muskrat, but that isn't saying much. Thought I would add that since this thread is about hats hahaha! I hate snakes!!!
Hot days in late May or June in the evening I drive up the Burnt River canyon and kill rattle snakes on the road. Deer and elk I hike all over the hills hunting them. When it comes to rattle snakes I am strictly a road hunter.

I live in prime rattlesnake country as well. To say I'm not a fan is the understatement of the century. I'll relate a story my wife thinks is highly hilarious, although just me typing it makes me have flashbacks and break out in a cold sweat.:oops:
I'd spent the day a horseback gathering cattle on fine day in fall a few year ago. It was an Indian Summer and perfect weather. When i got back to the cow camp, supper wasn't going to be ready for an hour so i jumped on my 4 wheeler to make a quick scout up the canyon above camp to see if i might see any of the few cows we were still looking for. I always carry my .22 for shooting snakes or other varmints when i ride, but i left it at camp. I ran on up Joe's canyon with just my binos. I got to the granite ledges and stopped to glass some deer. Oak brush makes almost a tunnel in spots up that canyon and there are a few great spots where you can really see lots of draws and ridges. My 4 wheeler was running as i attempted to turn up cattle or a good buck. The vibration made it tough to glass so i switched it off. The second it stopped i could easily hear a rattler going nuts right by the wheeler. He was a huge old ugly yellow colored rattle snake. Thankfully i'd swung both legs to the right side of the wheeler to glass and the snake was on the left side. He was less than a foot from where my left foot would of been. I grabbed for my pistol like a gunfighter but came up empty since it was at cow camp. The snake decided to head up into the oaks and i searched for a boulder or limb to detach his head from the rest of him. It always pays to be careful in the fall as snakes seem to run in pairs. As i studied finding a perspective weapon and came up empty, i was sick letting the big old snake get away. So i'm standing there on point and all spun up watching this big yellow rattle snake with black diamonds slither off into the oaks, when a beautiful yellow and black butterfly gently landed on my left shirt pocket!!! Normally that would not be much of a problem.:) But when you aren't very bright on a good day, and your mind disconnects from your body when snakes get involved. I saw the butterfly and knew it was a butterfly and that should of been that, right? But my brain saw black and yellow and lost it's mind. I literally knocked the hell out of myself trying to kill that evil yellow and black snake that has flown up and landed on my pocket. I may also of screamed high and loud enough that folks at the cow camp heard me and thought an opera had begun somewhere nearby.

The snake got away, i bruised up my left collar bone and chest and one poor little old butterfly was pulverized like a squirrel through a woodchipper. Two weeks later i am confident i evened the score slightly when i came down the same canyon with a pair and a heifer. About 200 yards above where i and the butterfly had our strange dance, i saw a big old yellow and black rattler coiled under a sage brush shaking his tail. I got off my horse and put three .22 rounds through the top of his head. My cousin was with me and he counted 14 rattles and a button on the deceased snake. I never can get myself close enough to count. The moral of this story is- Snakes suck and Butterflies oughta know better.

When I was in high school, and living on a small hog farm in northeastern Indiana, we had two goats. A Nanny and a Billy. Both were in a fenced in area by a pond by our driveway. Same area our hogs were in. There were also two geese in the same area. Both the geese and the goats would go after the hogs. Geese, necks stretched out and honking like made and goats with their heads down charging the hogs. Sometimes the geese would charge after the goats and the goats would rear-up and charge back. Nothing got hurt, but it was hilarious to watch.

Rattlesnakes. We grew up around them in WY. When they put the interstate in, it disturbed the rattlesnakes and we found way more of them when riding horseback checking cattle. Our neighbor would get off his horse and take the back cinch and kill the snakes. Really, I'm not making this up. You would have to see it to believe it. Truth is stranger than fiction.

When we moved to SW MT, there were no snakes. When we moved to SE MT, there were snakes. The first one we encountered to remind us, was a big one, coiled up at at gate post we wanted to go through. He didn't like us disturbing him and we didn't have a gun (or a back cinch 😃) to kill him so he got away. That sure reminded us to watch for snakes. In all the years there, we never had a snake in the yard. We saw bull snakes and rattle snakes on the scoria road, but never in the yard. Now me, I don't like snakes, but I HATE MICE!! 😁

Years ago, at a rodeo in So California, wife and I were headed back to our vehicle (had already stopped roping), walking thru some grass and I notice something slithering thru the grass in front of us. It was a snake going forward, not towards us. I quickly grabbed my wife's hand, turned to the side and walked away. Had no idea what kind it was and wasn't going to follow it to see.

We hear about rattlesnake encounters quite often by the area that surrounds Denver's Red Rocks Amphitheater, during summer months.

Latest posts