• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dropped a wad at the local supply store

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It sure is nice not to have sick calves. Soapweed, I hear you on not wanting to take a chance and quit giving the scour shot.

We had so much trouble with sickness in calves, that we were like you, and were afraid to quit the scour shots. In the spring of 1997 we had a huge spring snowstorm. Lots of snow and big drifts so we couldn't get the cows to the corrals to give them their shot. We were plenty worried, but needlessly. The cows sailed through calving with no problems. God kinda took it out of our hands I guess, because we never would have had the guts to quit giving shots on our own. We still do give the first calf heifers Scourguard 3KC, but that is the only cattle that get a scours shot.

I would not recommend anyone quit what they are doing when it is working. This is merely what happened to us and the consequences of it. That spring it was muddy and sloppy everywhere, and there is no mud like the gumbo mud we have. We were pleasantly suprised we didn't run into any problems, and that's the best kind of :wink: suprise!

Well, I for one won't quit. After 1994 or 5, when we had a disaster on our hands, I'll spend the money on the vaccines. And some vaccines don't cover for every strain of scours, so that's why the cows get a shot before calving, and the calves get an oral one when born. I know that sounds like alot, but I'm keeping my bases covered! As for the mineral, I find it tends to bring the scours on in the calves, but usually not bad enough where they can't get over it on their own. I feed the calves that diatomaceous earth also when they get old enough, it seems to discourage them from eating dirt. And I also believe weather IS a major factor in the cause of scours. When it's cold with lots of snow cover, we don't have much of a problem. As soon as the weather warms up and we get wet snow, then we see a few cases. But all in all, we manage pretty well. Nothing like that "94 or "95 season!

I have read many posts on here concerning "Scours" in calves, mostly many miles north of me.

I have never vaccinated a calf for scours. I just don't have that problem down here. Am I doing something right or just lucky?

Don't have any navel problems either. What's the deal?

Not here...after I quite the scour vac program. Hope I don't have it again, but I rather suspect the vaccine for my cows having the scours in their calves. Guess this is all a learning process, but I do keep 32 S + or something along those lines out for the cows, and it helps.

Northern Rancher said:
You either have to calve in the snow or on the grass-going halfway to hit the frozen mud is no picnic.

We have lots of mud down here. Still no scours.

Doesn't look like there is any quick fix to prevent a scours outbreak . Guess I'll keep giving the cows a shot pre calfing and hope for the best :? Getting tired of the -25 calfing in Feb and the mud and wet snow in Apr. ,was hoping May grass was the answer, but maybe not :???:

Don't knock it till you try it cowzilla-one thing is our cows calve pretty spread out really never are on the same pasture very long at all.

We have a golden calving ease rule. She has it or dies. We don't baby our cows, check them once a day when they get hay and DDGs. Come back the next day and do it again. We've lost 1 calf to calving problems in 4 years and that was a malpresentation. We've only had to pull two calves from heifers and that's when the neighbors big damn simmie bull came for a visit :mad:

Northern Rancher said:
Don't think Montgomery,Alabama gets much frozen mud lol.

If there is too much rain and gumbo down in that country, you could call your fair city Mudgumry, Alabama. Wink Sorry Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Will have frozen mud on Friday, weatherman predicts low 20's. It will be real nice because it is to rain all day Thurs and Thurs night.

:roll:

Mudgumry, Since we are in the "Blackbelt" (no, not because of the peoples color........but because of the Black Prairie Soil -Gumbo) that is a pretty darn good description.

The mud will pull your boots off if you ain't careful! Been there, done that!

Soapweed,
It's a good thing that you are not my neighbor. I have fought people who turn out their bulls and go on vacation for years. I do not believe in early calving. I've had the neighbor's bulls in with my cows, cause they kick back and take it easy during breeding season. Bulls will do their natural thing, the first time I will put your bull back, the second time down comes the rope and out comes the knife. Think about it, it's all about responsibility. Because of people like you, I don't get to kick back during breeding season, cause I have to watch your bulls.

smalltime said:
Soapweed,
It's a good thing that you are not my neighbor. I have fought people who turn out their bulls and go on vacation for years. I do not believe in early calving. I've had the neighbor's bulls in with my cows, cause they kick back and take it easy during breeding season. Bulls will do their natural thing, the first time I will put your bull back, the second time down comes the rope and out comes the knife. Think about it, it's all about responsibility. Because of people like you, I don't get to kick back during breeding season, cause I have to watch your bulls.

Sounds like you've had a bad experience or to Smalltime, but I think you're goin' off half cocked on Mr Soapweed. I don't imagine he got to where he is by sluffing on things.
I don't see our bulls or cows for weeks at a time during breeding season, it's just the way it works in my particular area. My cows are in a big wilderness area they have to themselves, they will bring themselves in in the fall. I'll go put out salt regularily, but with no guarantees that I'll see any livestock.
Anyway, looks like Soap has things figured out, so best not ride him.

I don't think you know me very well, smalltime. We have very good neighbors in these parts. They respect me, and I respect them. They turn their bulls out at the same time I do, and people keep their fences fixed pretty well in this country.

You missed my whole point. Northern Rancher was being facetious about how "just in the last fifty years" cows have started calving earlier because Man has meddled with Nature. He was poking fun at those of us who fight the cold to calve. My point was that it has just been in those same last fifty years that Man has meddled with Mother Nature to do AIing and ETing. I was poking fun at him for going to a lot of work to get cows bred when it is so easy to just turn the bulls out.

I don't just "turn out the bulls and go on vacation". We take care of our cattle. I hope you do the same.

Smalltime, I'll vouch for Soapweeds fences and management skills. I don't think any of his neighbors have any problems with his cattle, bulls or cows. I been to Soaps place and it is a well run oufit, not like your neighbors and by the way, I know who you are talking about! :wink:

A good hot wire fence between neighbors can sure help the relationship! :wink:

I wasn't being facetious I was pretty much stating a fact-you can use bulls and calve later and really make life easier. Alot of people complain about why kids maybe don't want to go ranching-when we had to calve those 190 heifers in March of 2004 I got that message from my two oldest loud and clear. I'll take riding A'I in August over unthawing calves any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It's easy to turn bulls out but you have to put up with them rugaboo's the rest of the year too lol.

Latest posts