• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dropped a wad at the local supply store

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I think it is a bit hasty to say that you don't keep track of your stock just because you happen to calve earlier. There are good/bad operators that calve early or late, or inside sheds or outside.

I also think that each rancher given some time finds a program that is comfortable to him/her, and that may be what's best for that ranch. It would also be just as foolhardy to think that there are no other options.

In Soapweeds area, they have a situation where there is abundant hay to put up in the meadows most years, and his grass doesn't come on real early, so maybe he is doing the best thing for his operation. He has to feed some in the winter anyhow as those warm season grasses that are dormant, do not have much food value. On the other hand, cows that calve in May or June don't need near the nutrition as an early calving cow.

Personally, I would never calve our whole herd in Feb on, but Soapweeds temps are more moderate usually than ours that time of year. To each his own, and unless we are going to put up numbers here on profit for cow, it is useless to say someone is right or wrong. :???:

Soapweed, understand I was not trying to speak for you here, just my opinions.

I do not care when soapweed turns out his bulls, when he calves, I make no comment on his fences. I have never seen a fence that a bull couldn't get through, if it had a bulling cow on the other side. Soapweed says that he kicks back during breeding season. If he turns out earlier than mine, I will start calving the same time soapweed does.

Yes Silver, I have had many bad times, that cost me thousand of dollars, cause my neighbors wanted to kick back during breeding time.

Soapweed if you can tell me that you camp out with those cows, to keep your bulls in. Then I will appologize, for what I said. I realize that you don't have to, cause all your neighbors turn out at the same time. But if some of them did not turn out at the same time, what would you do then?

I believe in your freedonm to calve anyway you want. But when your bull crosses the fence what happens to my freedom. Sure they are animals, but it is about responsibility, for your bulls.

smalltime said:
I do not care when soapweed turns out his bulls, when he calves, I make no comment on his fences. I have never seen a fence that a bull couldn't get through, if it had a bulling cow on the other side. Soapweed says that he kicks back during breeding season. If he turns out earlier than mine, I will start calving the same time soapweed does.

Yes Silver, I have had many bad times, that cost me thousand of dollars, cause my neighbors wanted to kick back during breeding time.

Soapweed if you can tell me that you camp out with those cows, to keep your bulls in. Then I will appologize, for what I said. I realize that you don't have to, cause all your neighbors turn out at the same time. But if some of them did not turn out at the same time, what would you do then?

I believe in your freedonm to calve anyway you want. But when your bull crosses the fence what happens to my freedom. Sure they are animals, but it is about responsibility, for your bulls.
This can work both ways Smalltime. I like to pull my bulls at a certain time. If I my neighbors still have bulls out I get late crappy calves from their scrub bulls. I have taken to leaving my bulls out longer cuz if I gotta get a late calf I would at least like it to be out of a decent bull.

Sorry to attack you personaly Soapweed, but in my experience it has been a real problem for many years. It is a serious hotbutton for me.

Jingle Bob, during breeding I check my cows twice a day to try to keep bulls out. I have spent thousands of dollars in fence and re-arranged my whole operation in order to isolate my cows, so it won't happen. I've asked my neighbors to at least tell me when they were going to turn out, and I can't even get that consideration.

Silver it sounds like to me where you ranch, you are turning out into huge pastures. Possibly government range? Where we live and most likely in the Sandhills too, we are close to our neigbors. Five operators border my summer range. They turn out June first I turn out July first. I used to ride twice a day, for a month just to keep the bulls out. It didn't work so now I buy my hay, graze the hay ground, my most isolated spot, until turnout time for me.

smalltime said:
Jingle Bob, during breeding I check my cows twice a day to try to keep bulls out. I have spent thousands of dollars in fence and re-arranged my whole operation in order to isolate my cows, so it won't happen. I've asked my neighbors to at least tell me when they were going to turn out, and I can't even get that consideration.

Yup, I got some neighbors who won't tell me when they are turning in next to me also. They are the same ones who call if one of my critters is in their pasture and want me to get it out, but when I call them to come get theirs out of my pasture, they are just too busy, so it is up to me to get theirs out!

Oh well, life is too short to let pain in the butts get a feller down! :lol:

On the ranch where we lived the first seven years of our married life, we lived a mile west of a highway and our neighbor lived a mile east. Most of his ranch was on that side of the highway, but he had a 200 acre pasture on our side of the road. It was a mile and a fourth long and a quarter mile wide. Guess what? That was his bull pasture, and it joined four of my pastures. I guarantee he had bulls in it all year long. Was it a pain? Yes.

But it was his land, and I respected his personal property rights to have bulls in there all year long if he wanted. We were friends. We did work together to put posts close together, with four wires on one side of the posts and three wires on the other side. It was not an ideal situation, but short of buying his pasture (which was not for sale), there was not a whole lot I could do about it. We stayed friends, and once in a while I'd sure have to put some of his bulls back in his pasture. I never considered taking a knife to any of his bulls because they got out.

Soapweed said:
On the ranch where we lived the first seven years of our married life, we lived a mile west of a highway and our neighbor lived a mile east. Most of his ranch was on that side of the highway, but he had a 200 acre pasture on our side of the road. It was a mile and a fourth long and a quarter mile wide. Guess what? That was his bull pasture, and it joined four of my pastures. I guarantee he had bulls in it all year long. Was it a pain? Yes.

But it was his land, and I respected his personal property rights to have bulls in there all year long if he wanted. We were friends. We did work together to put posts close together, with four wires on one side of the posts and three wires on the other side. It was not an ideal situation, but short of buying his pasture (which was not for sale), there was not a whole lot I could do about it. We stayed friends, and once in a while I'd sure have to put some of his bulls back in his pasture. I never considered taking a knife to any of his bulls because they got out.
Soapweed......I must say your a beter man than I "Gunga Din".
I have the same problem as Smalltime and have paid the price for over 50 years.We have to check our cows twice daily to keep bulls out but still have frozen calves :mad: Win some lose some!One thing that gets to me is nobody ever comes and gets their bulls unless we pen them and call them to come get them.Haveing bulls getting mixed, when you have the same turnout date,is normal and we have no problem with that but when someone turns in bulls next to your open cows year after year ,to me that is harassment. :evil:
Now about the late calves,I don't see a problem with that.If you want to keep the cow, at least a poorer calf will pay the bill!

Latest posts