• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Event Notice: Leo McDonnell to Testify for R-CALF USA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Bill, "Do you have a plan on irradicating the disease for Y'ALL?"

USDA clearly doesn't. One thing that I do know is that you can't eradicate it if you allow more in.

Yes, entire countries. Do some research.

Do some research? :roll: :lol: :lol:

I have done better than that Sadhusker, I have been to some of those countries and visited with producers and heard their experiences first hand. None have had their industries entirely wiped out by BSE.

You can take that R-Klan fearmongering and use it on someone else.

Kato said:
I have a question.

Do American packing plants remove SRM's from over 30 month cattle?

If they do, then according to everything I've read, that's the way you end the spread of BSE. Even if a positive animal made it to a plant, if the SRM's are removed and not recycled into feed, then that's the end of it. Time takes care of the rest as the older cattle disappear.

That's not the end of it down here. Our FDA won't close the loopholes. The scientists tell us the prions don't just die off. Our SRMs are fed to non ruminants such as chickens and hogs. This puts the prions into those chickens or hogs that eat that afeed. Chicken and hog remains are then ground into cattle feed, along with the prions, and then fed to cattle. The prions are back into cattle feed after taking the scenic route - just as well not even have a feed ban.

The FDA won't close that loophole because it might cost somebody some money - the same reason the USDA had to change their rules with Canada. Profits are more important than safety down here.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

USDA clearly doesn't. One thing that I do know is that you can't eradicate it if you allow more in.

I have done better than that Sadhusker, I have been to some of those countries and visited with producers and heard their experiences first hand. None have had their industries entirely wiped out by BSE.

Been to England? You telling me they weren't wiped out?

Sandhusker said:
Kato, at last a civil and well written post worthy of a response!

I have never said that Canadian producers caused the problem and I never will as I don't believe that to be the case. I'll also never deny that Canada has been more upfront, direct and honest about their situation than the USDA has been. I'm ashamed of how the USDA has handled this and is handling this, I truly am. Disgusted is another fitting adjective.

I've never seen anything to suggest that your cases have came from only one source. If that is so, then good for both of us, as that should make it easier to eradicate the disease for you and would also dilute the "if we have it, then you do too" arguement.

Until I hear of the USDA or CFIA pushing for a live test, I won't believe either one is doing all they can to root out BSE.

R-CALF didn't come up with their figures out of thin air. They're doing what any organization that looks out for the welfare of producers would do, they're sounding the alarm on a disease that has already wiped out the industry of entire countries. The fact of the matter is that, if we open up further to Canadian cattle, we WILL import carriers of BSE. Your post ban cases suggest that we already are importing beef from BSE carrying animals. We have everything to lose and not a damn thing to gain! Who wouldn't fight a deal like that?

I get so disgusted with the R-CALF victims up there who get puffed up because "R-CALF is saying bad things about our beef". The deal is that there's not a country that doesn't know what BSE is and that doesn't know that Canada has it. When you discovered your first case everybody closed their borders immediately. They did that because they already know about BSE tainted beef and they don't want it. The victims say "R-CALF says our beef is tainted, we hate them, waaaa, waaa". Well, so did those countries when they closed their borders.

Has Canada ever found a BSE animal under the age of 30 months Sandhusker? The answer is NO so explain how our post ban cases suggest that you already are importing beef from BSE carrying animals?

If they know all about BSE tainted beef then why are countries now importing beef from Countries affected by BSE including the US?

The reason most if not all of us Canadians hate R-CALF is due to the fact that after we had our first case of BSE in May 2003 R-CALF, after years of failed attempts at stopping trade with us, took the news as a way of killing US consumer confidence in our beef. They spared no expense or credibility telling everyone that would listen that beef coming from Canada was tainted and unfit to be consumed by humans.

BUT when the table turned and BSE was found in the US herd, which the whole world figure it was only a matter of time , what did R-CALF do? Gee let's see

"we know if we are going to keep consumer confidence we are going to maintain some of the highest standards in the world to make sure that BSE is not introduced into this country. And we are going to make sure we have the best meat and bone meal ban in this country in place. So if for some reason we did find a case we can stand and look our consumers right in the eye and say, don't worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue. If we look them right in the eye and say that I will guarantee they will keep eating beef".
What happen to the tainted and not fit to be consumed by humans here Sandhusker?

How does this " the US raises the Safest Beef in the World raised to the Highest Standards in the World" translate into in to US beef is tainted and unfit for human consumption like our was in R-CALF's many many press releases and court briefings. It is the two faces out and out lieing that R-CALF has done to destroy consumer confidence in Canadian beef that has turned so many against your organization, and you are just to stupid to see that.

I doubt there are many Canadians that dislike US producers in general as they are much like we are just trying to make a living doing something we love. But R-CALF's years of trying to stop beef trade with Canada has left a DEEP wound and it is going to take YEARS TO HEAL. It will leave a very large SCAR on the US/ Canada working relations. How many bulls do you think will be exported to Canada again by some of these pure bred breeders that had their names tag to the bottoms of R-CALF fund raising press releases. I'd Bet a very small fraction to that, that was export prior to all the back stabbing R-CALF has done in the last few years. One thing about Ranchers they have very long memories and this is not going to go away over night.

Kato said:
I have a question.

If they do, then according to everything I've read, that's the way you end the spread of BSE. Even if a positive animal made it to a plant, if the SRM's are removed and not recycled into feed, then that's the end of it. Time takes care of the rest as the older cattle disappear.

Have you read the list of Infractions on SRM Removal that was posted by Flounder? It's a long list. A long, long list. And those were just the ones who got caught............................................................

Sandhusker said:
Kato said:
I have a question.

That's not the end of it down here. Our FDA won't close the loopholes. The scientists tell us the prions don't just die off. Our SRMs are fed to non ruminants such as chickens and hogs. This puts the prions into those chickens or hogs that eat that afeed. Chicken and hog remains are then ground into cattle feed, along with the prions, and then fed to cattle. The prions are back into cattle feed after taking the scenic route - just as well not even have a feed ban.

The FDA won't close that loophole because it might cost somebody some money - the same reason the USDA had to change their rules with Canada. Profits are more important than safety down here.

don't worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue
no mention of loopholes in the firewall you have had for so many years Sandhusker. :?

and R-CALF 's comment to the USDA was
Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States.
Sandhusker does Canada have these loopholes you speak of.

We raise the Safest Beef in the World raised to the Highest Standards in the World
no mention of LOOPHOLES here. :?

See why most hate R-CALF.

It is widely accepted that BSE is contracted at a very early age, even before weaning. If that last post ban case was slaughtered anytime after weaning and sent here, you are sending us BSE carrying beef. The odds are that wasn't the only animal of that age group infected.

You express your doubts about the USDA testing properly and even accuse them of hiding cases, but you accept their judgement when they say your beef is safe. Hmmmm, how do you decide when to believe them and when not to? Let me guess.....

In the late 90's, the USDA said we would not import beef or cattle from any country that was BSE positive as it was a risk to do so. They called it the first line of defense. They change their story just for Canada and the producers who were told that policy was to protect them point out the initial reasons and you're mad at us. R-CALF isn't saying a dang thing about Canadian beef that wasn't told to us by the USDA BEFORE Canada's case. But R-CALF is the one out of line....

You're trying to make a living? Hey, we've got something in common. What turned some people off on trade with Canada is the fact that fat prices set the pace for all cattle, and every load of Canadian fats that got sent down here lowered the price of fats and took money out of our pockets. There's a few wounds down here, too.

The difference between you and R-CALF is that R-CALF recognizes that the cause for both of our problems is the big packers and we're trying to speak up for the producer and balance the power. You haven't figured that out yet and would rather play the victim and blame R-CALF. You're crying about your scars and what the boogey-man in Billings said, we're taking the bastards to court, we're getting heard in Washington.

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

Been to England? You telling me they weren't wiped out?

Sure have! A couple of times and I have the passport to prove it. It was devastating but they weren't wiped out.

Here is another huge factor that makes your arguement moot and even more ridiculous......now get this Sadhusker......are you ready? THEY HAVE HAD OVER 183,000 POSITIVE CASES. Did you get that Sadhusker? Over 183,000 cases with a fraction of the size of cowherd that North America has.

If that happened over here there would be R-Klanners jumping off bridges all over the country!!!!! I am not making light of the struggles faced over there and give them a huge amount of credit as they have survived to now face what may well be greater challenges to their livliehood than BSE.

You seem to be such an expert on other countries (especially Canada) Sadhusker, do you even own a passport or have you been to Canada in the last decade let alone since May 2003?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Mrs.Greg said:
. . . Lousiana catfish farmer . . .
Actually, the guy was from Macon, Mississippi. Answers to Marwin Peaster. Had a business of digging catfish ponds and ran some ponds too, if I have my info correct.
Your prob right about where he was from...not Canada is for sure....that would be a Canuck Rick Mercier moment :oops:

HAY MAKER said:
cowsense said:
OK Haymaker..........Pony up and put some facts to your claims and we'll see which side has the credible voice!

OK,fact............Mexico said one more case of BSE,and all trade stops,wonder why they said that ?
fact ...............you have several pre and post feed ban cases of BSE
fact..............You refuse to accept that you are a High risk country.
fact.......... you have numerous times violated the feed bans you now have in place.
fact ............you readily admit to supporting and protecting packers and captive supplies
fact.................you have no packer laws,and have no intention of aquiring any.....................good luck

PS As you can see cowsense, you have been a poor neighbor/trading partner and a burden to the American cattleman.

[/b]Well haymaker I've got my days's work done and am back in. Oh BTW my good looking friend Miss Tam is much too young to be my mother! Besides she's kinda busy these day's just trying to babysit the r-calfers on here!

Point by Point:
Mexico has supported Canada very well throughout the entire BSE experience. They were our first major market to reopen to Canadian beef and this statement is probably a knee jerk reaction. I'm sure that they will be making an investigative trip north and once they ascertain the Canadian precautions we will be back on the road to full normal trade.

Yes we've had cases of BSE both pre and post ban. It is and was expected. It proves that our surveillance system is working extremely well. Our trading partners are very comfortable with our prevention protocols and slowly but surely we are returning to normalized world trade.

Haymaker; You know full well that Canada is in the same risk category as the US. Both are currently classified as minimal risk countries (soon to be moved to the new controlled risk category). The only reason we have reported more cases is that we are actively checking and testing the high risk part of our natianal herd.

Yes we've had feed ban violations but they have been for the most part quite minor and the resulting investigations have proven them to be of no real risk. We are moving towards an enhanced feed ban that will be even more stringent and go far beyond American protocols. Perhaps I could have your fellow Texan Flounder post a couple pages or so of American feed ban violations to prove that this isn't just happening up here.

As for the packing industry, the big ones are American companies with quite a few smaller Canadian companies operating. They seem to be able to protect themselves quite well and as for supportting them I guess my slaughter cattle end up at the plant that pays the most on sale day. Most Canadian cattle are sold on the cash market so that kind of rules out the huge captive supply theory you like to promote.

As for being a poor neighbour and trading partner Canada has a huge net deficit in Ag products with the US. Everything from beef to produce to subsidized feed grain flows north on a daily basis. Quality Canadian beef helped build the North American market and our beef exports to your country have traditionaly had minimal market place distortion on your industry. I would further point out that the actions of R-calf in contrast are some of the the most harmful and beligerant actions any one could take against a traditional ally and trading partner!
~~

cowsense said:
Perhaps I could have your fellow Texan Flounder post a couple pages or so of American feed ban violations to prove that this isn't just happening up here.
He was just joking, Terry. That won't be necessary. :lol:

Cowsense, "You know full well that Canada is in the same risk category as the US."

Yeah, it's the new risk category that the US invented after Canada became BSE positive. Big surprise there. Tell a statistician or oddsmaker that we're the same risk.

Sandhusker said:
Cowsense, "You know full well that Canada is in the same risk category as the US."

Yeah, it's the new risk category that the US invented after Canada became BSE positive. Big surprise there. Tell a statistician or oddsmaker that we're the same risk.

Sandhusker; You seem pretty bitter ever since the Billings fiasco!
The BSE risk categories and protocols are defined by the OIE and are expected to be followed by the member countries. The US is just one of a large number of the world's trading nations that accepted and signed these protocols that specify BSE controls and trade.

cowsense said:
Sandhusker said:

The BSE risk categories and protocols are defined by the OIE and are expected to be followed by the member countries. The US is just one of a large number of the world's trading nations that accepted and signed these protocols that specify BSE controls and trade.
The USDA created a "Minimal Risk Region" not recognized by OIE. Canada is the only country the USDA has in that category. And now Canada no longer qualifies even as a Minimal Risk Region and the USDA has done nothing about it.

ocm said:
cowsense said:
Sandhusker said:

The USDA created a "Minimal Risk Region" not recognized by OIE. Canada is the only country the USDA has in that category. And now Canada no longer qualifies even as a Minimal Risk Region and the USDA has done nothing about it.

OCM.........................BULLSH#T

cowsense said:
ocm said:
cowsense said:

cowsense-- Show me a current OIE "Minimal Risk rule"......

cowsense said:
ocm said:
cowsense said:

Below is the announcement about the rule that made Canada a "Minimal Risk Region". Note that within the announcement it is the USDA that determine what countries are "Minimal Risk" not the OIE. This according to the USDA. That means they did not follow the OIE's risk categories. You will also note that they say their approach is "consistent with guidelines" of OIE. That's what they use as an out, when in fact they are not using the risk categories OIE has established. Animals with BSE discovered since the USDA rule was written make Canada unqualified per the original USDA rule.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=2004/12/0525.xml

You are here: Home / Newsroom / Latest Releases / Release No. 0525.04
Newsroom

News Release
Release No. 0525.04
Jim Rogers (202) 690-4755
Jerry Redding (202) 720-6959

Printable version
Email this page Email this page
USDA RELEASES RULE TO ESTABLISH MINIMAL-RISK REGIONS FOR BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY
Recognizes Canada as Minimal-Risk Region, Making it Eligible to Export to the United States

WASHINGTON, Dec. 29, 2004 --The U.S. Department of Agriculture today announced that after conducting an extensive risk review it is establishing conditions under which it will allow imports of live cattle under 30 months of age and certain other commodities from regions with effective bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) prevention and detection measures.

This final rule ensures the continued protection of public and animal health from BSE, while removing prohibitions on the importation of certain animals and commodities from minimal-risk regions. Prior to being able to import to the United States, each country must undergo a thorough risk assessment.

"We are committed to ensuring that our regulatory approach keeps pace with the body of scientific knowledge about BSE," said Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman. "After conducting an extensive review, we are confident that imports of certain commodities from regions of minimal risk can occur with virtually no risk to human or animal health. Our approach is consistent with guidelines established by the World Organization for Animal Health, or OIE, and relies on appropriate, science- based risk mitigation measures."

OIE recommendations, which are based on the latest science, provide guidelines for trade in cattle of any age, as well as beef and many other cattle products, even from countries that are considered to be at high risk for BSE as long as appropriate mitigation measures are applied to protect both human and animal health.

Canada will be the first country recognized as a minimal-risk region and, as such, will be eligible to export to the United States live cattle under the age of 30 months, as well as certain other animals and products. Live cattle imported from Canada under this rule, which is over 500 pages, will be subject to restrictions designed to ensure that they are slaughtered by the time they reach 30 months of age. These include permanent marking of the animals as to their origin, requiring them to move in sealed containers to a feedlot or to slaughter, and not allowing them to move to more than one feedlot while in the United States.

USDA is confident that the animal and public health measures that Canada has in place to prevent BSE, combined with existing U.S. domestic safeguards and additional safeguards provided in the final rule provide the utmost protections to U.S. consumers and livestock. When Canadian ruminants and ruminant products are presented for importation into the United States, they become subject to domestic safeguards as well. Beef imports that have already undergone Canadian inspection are also subject to re- inspection at ports of entry by the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) to ensure only eligible products are imported.

USDA conducted a thorough risk analysis for certain types of Canadian ruminants and ruminant products introducing BSE into the United States. This risk analysis included careful consideration of the risk mitigation measures Canada has in place to detect and prevent BSE in Canadian cattle and also the risk mitigation measures imposed in this final rule.

USDA has concluded that Canada meets the requirements for a minimal-risk region. The minimal-risk standards that Canada has met include among others:

* Prohibition of specified risk materials in human food.
* Import restrictions sufficient to minimize exposure to BSE: Since 1990, Canada has maintained stringent import restrictions, preventing the entry of live ruminants and ruminant products, including rendered protein products, from countries that have found BSE in native cattle or that are considered to be at significant risk for BSE.
* Surveillance for BSE at levels that meet or exceed international guidelines: Canada has conducted active surveillance for BSE since 1992 and exceeded the level recommended in international guidelines for at least the past seven years.
* Ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban in place and effectively enforced: Canada has had a ban on the feeding of ruminant proteins to ruminants since August 1997, with compliance monitored through routine inspections.
* Appropriate epidemiological investigations, risk assessment, and risk mitigation measures imposed as necessary: Canada has conducted extensive investigations in response to any BSE finding and has taken additional risk mitigation measures in response.

The rule also outlines conditions under which sheep, goats, cervids and camelids can be imported, as well as meat and certain other products and byproducts from these animals.

USDA first proposed changes to its regulations regarding establishing minimal-risk regions and conditions for safely importing live ruminants and ruminant products from such regions on Nov. 4, 2003, and the comment period was still under way when the United States announced its first case of BSE on December 23, 2003, in a cow imported from Canada. To allow additional time for commenters to evaluate the proposal in the context of the first U.S. finding of the disease, USDA reopened the comment period and accepted comments until April 7, 2004. The final rule will be published in the Jan. 4, 2005 Federal Register and will be effective March 7, 2005.

Other countries or regions that meet the minimal-risk conditions will be considered in the future. The designation of any future countries as minimal-risk regions will be accomplished through rulemaking procedures following completion of an appropriate risk assessment.

Note to Reporters: A Factsheet and Question and Answer document on this issue can be found on the APHIS home page at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ and click on the "News" button.

Sandhusker said:
Keep this handy, ocm. I'll guarantee you'll need it again.

If I read the tea leaves correctly, I won't be the only one pointing out this problem. At some point down the road we may even see it make front page.

OCM - Try again...........the risk categories ARE established by the OIE and the USDA's investigation was to ascertain that Canada was following the OIE guidelines. Obviously the Canadian industry was compliant and the USDA was able to proceed with Rule 1 based on sound science. Your claim that Canada is no longer eligible for minimal status is absolutely wrong as well.......the reliance for minimal status is not based on actual new cases but the preventive measures that are in place. This is reinforced quite strongly in the new OIE classifications!
Something to think about as the new OIE categories are announced is that Canada is far ahead of the US in surveillance efforts, has a more effective feed ban which will be enhanced to the highest level by this summer and has a mandatory ID system which is invaluable for health traceback.
I'll take our responsible Canadian approach towards disease every time over the simple fearmongering, sensationalism and attitude that the disease doesn't exist in the US that R-calf professes as it's agenda :!:[/b]

Latest posts