• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

fence stretcher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
while patchin fence, I got to wonderin, does anyone else still use a fence stretcher like this'n?
2005-09-29-fence-stretcher.jpg

I buy a new set every spring. By the next spring the dang things are satring to get worn and the wire wants to slip. Easier to buy a new set than to cuss and fight with the old set. :lol:

Hmmmm strange, this old set does a good job for us, when we put cows on the place (belonged to hubby's grandad and great grandad, and so on) we went down to grandpa's old barn and was lookin around at what was there, we picked these up and have used em ever since. I dont know how old they are, but he started ranchin the place in the 40s. I doubt they are that old, but they look ancient to me lol

We use those "goldenrod" stretchers all the time. One little secret, when using a short splice like that in the picture, put one side of the stretcher on the short splice. That way there is only one set of splice loops to worry about. It is much easier to get a tight fence with only one set of loops, than trying to keep two sets of loops tight.

That is probably about as clear as murky water, but hope you all can understand the point.

Yup!! That's what I use. Except I don't buy a new set every year, like Jinglebob... I just smack the tabs harder with a hammer to make 'em bite on the wire!!! :lol:

About those goldenrod stretchers.... If you watch and wait you can buy them on sale (brand new) for as little as about $28.00.
I have seen them(old wore out ones) go for over $50 at a farm auction!!!

More free entertainment!!! :lol: :wink:

Has anyone used those crimpers to splice rather than wrapping the wire together in a splice? I have had good luck with the crimpers and it is lots easier and faster than actually wrapping the wire into a splice. A box of small metal tubes to place the two ends of the wire in is about 20 bucks and the crimper tool is another 20 bucks. Just stretch the wire up with the goldenrod stretcher and place the wire in the small tube and crimp it several times with the tool.

red barn.. I have been usin em for a few years now and i really like em. Havent found one yet that was failed.

I use a Hayes chain tightener from NZ. I really like it better grips then the Golden rods which we have used 3 or 4 . I have 2 hayes which when building new fence I put a light chain around the corner post then take up the slack with the first one the use the other pull the wire tighter. If needed I just take the first one and reset it to finish tightening. The hold high tensile smooth wire really good.

TimH said:
About those goldenrod stretchers.... If you watch and wait you can buy them on sale (brand new) for as little as about $28.00.
I have seen them(old wore out ones) go for over $50 at a farm auction!!!

More free entertainment!!! :lol: :wink:

Tim We jsut got a new one the other day from the Co-op $24.99 :wink:

we always use the goldenrod for repairs and always have one with when running around. But we started using the pickup along with the block and tackle to stretch new fence. If you pull it til it breaks you've supposedly pulled all the stretch out of the wire so you'll never have to stretch it again. Proved true so far, and on my great, great uncle's it's lasted for 10-15 years and never had to be stretched when they did it with a come along.

Lilly,you oughta put that old golden rod up,probably the first one made from the looks of it,they are'nt made that heavy any more and on the splices ,I use them and after Im done crimping em,I always bend the tag ends back over the splice,if not you can sure pull em loose down the line when you restretch for another repair.................good luck

Darn good piece of equipment. Problem is losing 'em. A guy gets in a hurry and starts thinking about other things and walks away from the finished splice with the dang thing still hanging on the fence.

Usually end up finding it the following spring when checking the fence before turning cattle into the pasture. Of course still, hanging on the fence.

I've done away with fence stretchers and splices...I use one real good fencing plier/hammer and one claw hammer (mainly for leverage)...then I run a piece of #9 wire between the broken barbed wire pieces...loop the left side with the #9 wire (looped on that end also)...then on the right side of the #9 wire, loop the barbed wire and run the #9 thru it (UP through it, not facing down).... (it's important to work left to right).

then you feed the #9 wire through the fencing plier and get a grip on it, then put your hammer thru the handles of the pliers (like a T), then roll the #9 wire to the RIGHT until you get it as tight as you want it (I know, it sounds backward to roll right, but it's not, trust me)....then you loop the #9 wire as usual to the barbed wire and your fence will not give when it's released.

It's much easier to demonstrate in person, but it is a great way to fix fence and a heck of a lot easier to carry the supplies on horse back versus stretchers.....just precut your #9 wire to the length you want and off you go.

A guy that all he did was fix fence on a huge ranch in New Mexico taught this way of fixing and he's right on in how to do it...once you catch on to it, it saves lots and lots of time in doing it from the standard method!! #9 wire is awful strong too, I haven't had a fix like that break yet.

hope i've made it clear on how to do this method...it really is a time saver 8)

I have a set that looks identical. Works for me though I have to bang the grips a little. I tie one splice then use crimp splices on the last one. I as well stretch off the splice wire so it is tight.

We have the same one as you and almost everybody else, by the sounds of it. The one we have is the same one that was here when I moved here, and that was 23 years ago.

Latest posts