• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fightless Friday, How 'bout some good recipes??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

uuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now you went and made me hungry :roll:

MoGal said:
BARBECUE SAUCE

1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup whiskey (or rum)
1 tblsp minced green pepper
1 Tblsp minced celery
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
2 cups catsup
1/4 c. tomato paste
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice

Optional: May use 1/3 tsp hot pepper, 2 tsp mustard, 2 Tblsp liquid smoke

In large saucepan, combine all ingredients, let simmer for 30 minutes.
I made this last sunday and its the best sauce I've ever had.
I usually barbecue the pork steaks until 2/3 way done, then throw them in the crock pot on low for an hour or so.

MoGal,I do believe you ta be a good cook,gonna try this one pretty quick,thank you & good luck

ty for the complement. I do like to cook, but one can always learn and sometimes the dogs are well fed when it don't work out .... lol.

I used Captain Morgan spiced rum as I didn't have whiskey on hand. But everbody really liked the sauce. It thickens as it simmers and I'll definitely make it again.

Ranchers.net has a new cookbook:
http://www.ranchers.net/recipes/

Why not add some of these delicious sounding recipes there, also? :D

Be sure and include your Member Name or your real name so we will know who they came from.

M Gravlee said:
Ranchers.net has a new cookbook:
http://www.ranchers.net/recipes/

Why not add some of these delicious sounding recipes there, also? :D

Be sure and include your Member Name or your real name so we will know who they came from.

You're a JEWEL Macon!!!! I guess I need to get to work, cutting and pasting works really well along with the "back" button...

:D
Well gang this recipie is out of one of my favorite books. Douglas Lake Ladie's Club Cookbook its a great selection of recipie that have been used at the ranch sone since 1948.

Ritas baking powder biscuts Melanie Watt (Salmon Lake)

2 cups white flour 4 tbsp butter
3 tsp baking powder 1 egg
1/4 cup white sugar 7/8 cup water
1/2 tsp salt Grated cheese, optional

sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut butter into dry ingredients.
Beat egg and combine with water. Pour wet ingredients into a well in dry
ingredients. Gently blend and knead lightly. Roll out 1/2" thick. Cut out biscuits with a floured glass tumbler. Place biscuits on an ungreased pan.
Dot each biscuit with butter . Bake at 400 for 20 min.

Well hope you enjoy these my kids love them

from theHiredMansWife

15oz can tomato sauce
6oz can tomato paste (ideally both of these should be no sugar added)
1oz Jack Daniels (or whiskey/bourbon of choice)
2TB vinegar
2TB liquid smoke
1TB worcestershire sauce
1/2TB Tobasco
1 tsp onion pwdr
3/4c Splenda
1/4c. brn sugar (opt)
2TB red onion, diced
1/4tsp garlic pwdr
1TB salt
1tsp pepper

from R2

I do a similar BBQ sauce but with catsup (so it has some sugar):

1 cup catsup
1 - 2 T soy sauce
1 T honey
juice of 1/2 - 1 lime
1/8 - 1/2 t powdered red pepper
1 - 2 t oregano
salt
freshly ground pepper

My kids are mad for this. A bit spicy, a bit sour, a bit sweet and with a taste of "Eyetalian".

I wonder if I can try it with Jack Daniels and no lime juice?

from TWOROPES

Take a skillet full of cubed beef or deer meat and brown it real good on high heat. then add two cans of Rotel tomatoes and chilis, and one can of water. simmer covered on low heat for 45 minutes, take lid off and sprinkle in a little flour to thicken serve on hot flour tortillias with cold beer. This is a great camp recipe too as it is good for dinner or breakfast. Oh yeah salt to taste yummmm!!

I added FH's recipe here..

Our neighbor gave me a really easy recipe that I made today and it
is really yummy. So I'll pass it along:

1 8 oz. carton Strawberry Cool Whip
1 small package Cheesecake Instant Pudding, or Vanilla
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
2 c. minature marshmallows
2 c. halved or quartered strawberries

Make the instant pudding according to the package directions.
Let it set up a bit, then add the Cool Whip.
Fold the mandarin oranges into the Cool Whip mixture, along with
the strawberries and marshmallows. Let set up a bit. Enjoy!

Really good!!!

I just seen this fightless friday post,brings back old memories when we usta tease fasterhorses on fridays,with stuff like ........hell Im tired of tradin cookie recipes ,or "lets get ready ta rumble" aaahhhh the good ole days :wink: .............good luck

Yea, I miss 'em too. I was time out from all the bickering that goes on.

Here is another recipe that I tasted at a graduation party.
Easy, and you can't believe how good it is.

Fry some sauasge, preferably Italian
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 can Rotella tomatoes with chilies
Melt together over low heat.
Add sausage.
MMMMMMMMMM
Get the little taco or scooper chips to dip.

This is rather soupy, so you do need some kind of chips
that will hold it.

We do the same thang with

1 lb of HOT breakfast sausage fried and jibbled like you would hamburger meat.
1 package of velveeta cheese
1 can of Rotell HOT Tomatos...

Put all that in a small crock pot and melt, and it keeps it hot durin a party.

Yeap good stuff!!!!

Since it's rhubarb season, I thought I'd post a few of our favorites...They're easy and pretty tasty too...

Strawberry-Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake

1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
1 package white or yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark or non-stick pans.) Melt butter in 13x9x2 inch pan, in the oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange strawberries evenly on brown sugar; sprinkle evenly with rhubarb. Press strawberries and rhubarb gently into brown sugar.

2. Beat cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in large bowl with electic mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over strawberries and rhubarb.

3. Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen cake, and turn pan upside down onto heatproof serving plate; leave pan over cake 1 minute so brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warn or cool.

High altitude: Heat over to 375 degrees. Stir 1 tablespoon flour into dry cake mix. Use 2 tablespoons oil.

We think this is great with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!

Rhubarb Pie

1 recipe Pastry for Single Crust Pie (I'm sure you have your favorite!)
1 recipe Crumb Topping
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, sliced, unsweetened

1. Prepare and roll out pastry for crust. Line 9 inch pie plate with the pastry. Prepare Crumb Topping (recipe follows,) set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (thanks HY!!!)

2. In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add rhubarb. Gently toss until coated. (If using frozen fruit, let mixture stand for 45 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy.)

3. Transfer rhubarb mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle Crumb Topping over filling.

4. Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is golden and filling in center is bubbly. Cool on wire rack.

Crumb Topping: Cream together 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in 1/2 cup flour, until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.

Variation:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Substitute 3 cups rhubarb with 3 cups strawberries.

This is awesome warm with Vanilla Ice Cream...

I hope you enjoy these as much as Mr. TTB...

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Orange-Glazed Flank Steaks

Marinade:

2/3 C dry red wine
1/2 C fresh orange juice (we use frozen)
1/3 C fresh lime juice (we use bottled)
1/2 C honey
1/4 C cider vinegar
1/4 C soy sauce
2 T mild olive oil
1 1/2 t minced garlic
1 t finely grated orange zest
1 t Tabasco sauce
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t dried thyme, crumbled
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper

2 beef fland steaks (2 lbs each), marinated in marinade overnight

To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a shallow 14-inch glass baking dish and stir until the honey is dissolved. Add the flank steaks and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover and refridgerate overnight.

Bring the steaks to room temperature. Prepare coals for grilling or preheat the broiler. Drain the steaks, reserving the marinade. Place the marinade in a large skillet and bring to boil over high heat. Continue boiling until the liquid is syrupy and mahogany-colored, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. (There should be 1 C of glaze)

Brush the glaze on both sides of the steaks. Grill or broil the steaks 4 inches from the heat until nicely glazed, about 5 min. Turn and grill or broil 5 minutes longer for medium-rare steaks. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before carving.

Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. If you broiled the steaks, reserve any pan drippings. Holding a sharp knife at a 45 degree angle, cut the steaks across the grain into thin slices. Transfer the meat to a warmed platter, top with the pan drippings, and serve immediately.

You can use round steak, too - those of you who buy your meat it's alot cheaper :D

sw's marinade

Mix together:

1 ruby red grapefruit, juice squeezed out, pulp scraped out and added
2 T worcestershire sauce
1/3 C Balsamic vinegar
1/3 C extra virgin Olive oil

Take a beef roast, approx 4 lbs, sprinkle and pat any type of steak rub on all sides.

Mix ingred together for marinade, place roast in shallow pan (I have a tupperware marinader that I just flip over), pour marinade over roast, flip roast to cover both sides, cover and marinade in fridge all night. Turn the roast over periodically to keep both sides in marinade. Barbeque over coals, and continue to baste the roast with the marinade until roast is done to your preference.

ladyj...the recipes may be in this thread,if not theres lots of other reciepts,or go to front of ranchers,theres recipes section there :)

Watermelon Salsa

1/4 C fresh lime juice
2 T (packed) golden brown sugar
3 C chopped seeded watermelon
1 C chopped seeded honeydew melon or cantaloupe
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/2 C chopped red onion
1/4 C chopped fresh mint
2 T finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 T minced seeded jalapeno chilies

Whisk lime juice and sugar in large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add watermelon and all remaining ingredients; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill). Makes about 4 C.

IMHO. I would get the ingredients exactly as they are called for. We used dried mint, we could have done without that.

South of the Border Watermelon-Walla Walla Sweet Onion Salsa

2 C chopped watermelon (seeds removed)
3/4 C chopped Walla Walla Sweet Onion
3/4 C canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 C chopped seeded jalapeno chilies
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 large clove arlic, finely chopped
1 T brown sugar1/2 t salt

Stir together all ingredients in bowl. Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour to blend the flavors. Stir again before serving.

This is a really yummy recipe, love it with the black beans in it :D

Latest posts