• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

First Ride Smiles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
IMG_2214.jpg

Emily took Aidan and Emma our neighbors grandkids for their first horse ride-I think they liked it.

Northern Rancher said:
Little Buttercup has lots of fans already-we haven't had a horse for awhile you can rope a bull off or throw the kids on.

The reason I don't raise colts. I'd rather my kids learn on a experienced horse like the one your daughter aquired.

I like raising horses what can I say-Ty and Megan got on alot f young hrses growing up and are no worse for it. Emily started a bit lder so we got a more user friendly pony for her. Nothing like a traditional A'I project to get a young hrse going-lots of wet blankets and new situations.

Northern Rancher said:
I like raising horses what can I say-Ty and Megan got on alot f young hrses growing up and are no worse for it. Emily started a bit lder so we got a more user friendly pony for her. Nothing like a traditional A'I project to get a young hrse going-lots of wet blankets and new situations.

I agree with you, we sure enjoy raising them. :D Plus, we've found that -- at least for us in our part of the world -- it is easier (and, therefore, less costly...) to raise or purchase prospects (rather than find and purchase "made", experienced horses) with the type of temperament and attitude that will allow for the opportunity for the youngsters to ride and play with younger horses in (relative) safety.

My daughter (who is now seven) has been fiddling -- in some way or another -- with her mare since before either my daughter or the mare were big enough to ride. They get along pretty well now; I watched that mare protect my little girl (when my daughter was two and the mare was a four year old) when her human needed babying, and have also watched the mare increase her performance for my daughter as my daughter's abilities and confidence have grown.

Two-year-old little girl on a four-year-old little mare:
Princess_Vero_Bandido.jpg

Two years later:
POTROS_2007_118.jpg

POTROS_2007_141.jpg

This past weekend (three years after the second set of pictures):
046.JPG

056.JPG

0212.JPG

And it's really rewarding to watch the kids participate in helping the young horses develop into sane, honest workers. My daughter has been helping us work with the young (baby) colts for three years; the baby horses really respond well to her. And the colts will usually either let my daughter walk right up to them (or walk up to her...) and let her touch them, even when they're still little enough to be awfully shy around full-sized humans. Puts a big smile on my face.

We sold this colt as a stallion prospect, and he's being used for the first time on mares this year; he's a three year old stud now.
POTROS_2007_123.jpg

These two pictures are of a colt that is now a yearling stud prospect (we'll deliver him to his new owners this fall, after the really hot weather passes); he'll walk halfway across a pasture to say hello and get his forehead rubs, especially if my daughter is providing the rubbing:
BrujoColts.JPG

0351.JPG

We took this picture yesterday:
137.JPG

nortern rancher is there anymore were that buckskin came from? my daughter is 10 and has been looking for a well used ranch horse all summer they seem to be few and far between. her old horse is played out if you know of any i would aprecate the conection . or anybody else in western canada thanks.

peacecountry said:
nortern rancher is there anymore were that buckskin came from? my daughter is 10 and has been looking for a well used ranch horse all summer they seem to be few and far between. her old horse is played out if you know of any i would aprecate the conection . or anybody else in western canada thanks.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open peace.

I'll quiz the boys when we brand-some guys use horses like cars up here still so they are some pretty bullet proof horses around-I'm assuming your wanting a full size horse. I'm not much for kids and ponies myself-I had some I loved but alot more I hated lol.

Latest posts