• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gov. Still Slamming USDA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

An excerpt out of a Jan 25, 2006 Missoulian article:

On another issue affecting Montana, Schweitzer lashed out again at the U.S. Department of Agriculture over the most recent mad cow disease case in Canada. In the past the governor has referred to the department as "a bunch of stooges working for the multinational meat companies," and he said this week the USDA still does not represent the interests of Montana consumers and producers.

"I'm very proud of our legislature for proactively passing the country-of-origin labeling," Schweitzer said. "Congress has passed it for the last five, six years, then they refuse to enforce it."

Schweitzer said if the federal government isn't enforcing national country-of-origin labeling by the end of 2006, "we will in Montana," something he says will give the state a competitive advantage.

"We have safe beef in Montana, vegetarian beef," Schweitzer pointed out. "We're not feeding bone meal, we are very low risk of having BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) in our herds in Montana, so when people are looking at a safe, wholesome beef product the ability of putting 'Made in Montana,' 'Made in the USA' on our beef products will give us a leg up in the market."

Schweitzer said the USDA never got to the bottom of the problem with Canadian beef when it suspended imports from that country in May 2003.

Saying the feeding of bone meal to cattle is one root of the BSE problem, Schweitzer said Canada has suspended the use of those kinds of feeds for seven years.

"This cow was 6 years old, so it is clear they are not enforcing their own rules," Schweitzer added. "They still have operators that are cutting corners in the feed business and using cheap protein and calcium sources.

"So I think we need to put the hammer down," Schweitzer said, "and say, 'Look, if you're not enforcing your rule - and you clearly aren't' - then we need to step in and stop this importation of these cattle because we have a wholesome product, we have a quality product, and we're losing our market share all over the world because of some bad actors in Canada."

In the wake of the latest buffalo hunt near Yellowstone National Park, Schweitzer also this week called for a review of the controversial interagency bison management plan and the ensuing memorandum of understanding among the park, the USDA and the state of Montana created before he took office. He said negotiations did not take things like Montana's bison hunt into consideration.

Noting that his Republican predecessors - Marc Racicot and Judy Martz - did not allow bison hunts for 12 years, Schweitzer said, "We bit the bullet, and we stood up and said, 'We're going to get this right,' and we created more hunting range for the buffalo to move over.

"We've created what I think is a successful buffalo hunt and it'll be more successful in the future," he said.

The second thing Schweitzer said wasn't considered when issuing the memorandum of understanding is that the USDA has pulled brucellosis-free status from the neighboring states of Wyoming and Idaho.

"I don't want us to be the third state," Schweitzer said, "so I'm asking USDA - APHIS, their Animal Plant Health Inspection Service - to take up more slack in managing this bison herd with the national park.

"These are park bison. This is a federal problem, and they keep calling on our Department of Livestock to bail them out," Schweitzer complained. "I'm saying, 'You start doing your job and we will do ours.' "

"I'm very proud of our legislature for proactively passing the country-of-origin labeling," Schweitzer said. "Congress has passed it for the last five, six years, then they refuse to enforce it."

I was there to give testimony to this bill last Feb., however, Montana does NOT have large kill plants, nor feed lots, much of MT cattle go OUT OF STATE for feeding, also processing, if they come back in the state they will be addressed as "Country of Origin - UNKNOWN (need to read the wording on THAT bill!) Is that supposed to help us?? Besides, Schweitzer commissioned the author of the bill to write it, and it was, by God, to pass EXACTLY is it was written!!! :evil:

Hanta Yo said:

I was there to give testimony to this bill last Feb., however, Montana does NOT have large kill plants, nor feed lots, much of MT cattle go OUT OF STATE for feeding, also processing, if they come back in the state they will be addressed as "Country of Origin - UNKNOWN (need to read the wording on THAT bill!) Is that supposed to help us?? Besides, Schweitzer commissioned the author of the bill to write it, and it was, by God, to pass EXACTLY is it was written!!! :evil:

Hanta Yo- I think someone has been feeding false info to you again ( maybe the packer backers at NCBA)...

The Montana M-COOL law does not require beef to be of Montana Origin- Section 3 (1) "allows" a way for beef and other products to be labeled as to "Product of Montana" BUT section 3 (2) requires placard labeling of beef to "country" of origin if the the product is already labeled or if origin can be determined...If no origin determination can be affirmed- Or in the case of mixed country origin it will be placarded Origin unknown...

In other words the retailer can not take beef out of a package marked "Product of Canada" and not mark it such--Since he knows origin it must be so marked...Beef from cattle that come from Nebraska, SD, or Texas can still be placarded "product of US" if the retailer has documentation of origin...

The main thing with this law is that Canadian beef, Mexican beef, wherever from can no longer be removed from a labeled box or have labels cut from the carcass and be relabeled as a Product of the US....It ends that FRAUD.....

The last time I was in Helena I had a chance to sit and have a couple toddies with Mike McGrath who I've known and worked with for some time...I brought up the question because I feared Fed intervention-- He said he saw no problem in implementing and/or enforcing the law- that it actually closed a loophole in the misbranding/altering of brands and labels law (which you should be familiar with if you are a brand inspector) and that it left him as Attorney General and the Department of Labor and Industry the needed leeway for interpretation and implementation....I can't remember for sure- but I think Mike was Lewis and Clark County Attorney back when, as I mentioned the other day on here, that at the bequest of some NCBA members ( that totally supported M-COOL back then) several of the county attornies had ruled that the removal of country ID and relabeling with the USDA stamp/and passing it off as a US product was a violation of that Misbranding law...But could not be enforced because of the federal backing....

He also felt that it would hold up now to USDA or federal court review because of the precedence set in other states (I think he mentioned Florida as a primary example) and the fact that it gave retailers an alternative to mark it " origin unknown"...

And Hanta Yo- You have to remember that one one of the co-sponsors of this bill is probably going to be the next Montana US Senator ( unless Conrad steps aside soon)........

It is also my understanding that retailers are already looking at "sourcing" beef to meet the laws implementation.....

Too bad NCBA and some of their naysayers have to fight something that gives consumers more info about their products and could eventually lead to new outlets for locally raised product...One of the things the last legislature did in response to some of this was ease restrictions on "on ranch premise" slaughters....I think the next one could work even harder to develop slaughter plants with the recent revival of several large instate feedlots..They should be working toward this rather than doing the Tyson/Cargil dance........

OT- Why are you soo darn concerned about this? It doesnt apply too horses does it? Think youve had one too many toddies in your day :roll:

Oldtimer maybe you should clue your governor in on the fact that TEXAS has BSE too and your being shut out of Japan now has nothing to do with Canada. Then maybe you can clue him into the fact that not all Montana cattle eat Montana feed. There are trucks going from Canada to the US border states everyday with livestock feed. :wink:

Tam said:
Oldtimer maybe you should clue your governor in on the fact that TEXAS has BSE too and your being shut out of Japan now has nothing to do with Canada. Then maybe you can clue him into the fact that not all Montana cattle eat Montana feed. There are trucks going from Canada to the US border states everyday with livestock feed. :wink:

Under the new Homeland Security Law if you give us adulterated feed that could be considered a terrorist act - We might have to invade the Big Beaver.... Tammy do you know something I should be clueing the Federal boys into :???:

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Under the new Homeland Security Law if you give us adulterated feed that could be considered a terrorist act - We might have to invade the Big Beaver.... Tammy do you know something I should be clueing the Federal boys into :???:

The Montana Gov. is the one saying we aren't following the rules and that he should put his foot down and not import our cattle as they are messing with your market share. So I just have to wonder if he knows just how many Montana cattle eat the same feed our cattle eat. And about the adulterated feed Oldtimer did you forget that some of those feed samples that R-CALF said the CFIA found undeclared animal protiens in were IMPORTED FROM THE US. So how does this guy know that some of your non compliant feed mills aren't sell feed in MONTANA. I think he should take a look at the GAO report on the compliance of the US feed bans before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot again.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT- Why are you soo darn concerned about this? It doesnt apply too horses does it? Think youve had one too many toddies in your day :roll:

MR- Almost missed your post- and yes I did have a couple toddies tonight- I had to meet an old friend and partner from Billings that was in town and catch up on the negative workings of the NCBA and their corporate world- forgot to ask Tams questions- darn :( :lol: But I did get all the skinny on his new Skipper W-Doc Bar bred dun stud... We co-owned a stud together for 30 years that is related now to probably half the horses on the Crow Reservation- old fellow died 2 years ago at the age of 31- but what a hell of a life he had :wink: .....Smoothest horse I ever roped off of...

You know MR- down here in the States we've evolved to the point where we can know good cows and good horses both- I'm sure it will happen up north there sometime too :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

MR- Almost missed your post- and yes I did have a couple toddies tonight- I had to meet an old friend and partner from Billings that was in town and catch up on the negative workings of the NCBA and their corporate world- forgot to ask Tams questions- darn :( :lol: But I did get all the skinny on his new Skipper W-Doc Bar bred dun stud... We co-owned a stud together for 30 years that is related now to probably half the horses on the Crow Reservation- old fellow died 2 years ago at the age of 31- but what a hell of a life he had :wink: .....Smoothest horse I ever roped off of...

You know MR- down here in the States we've evolved to the point where we can know good cows and good horses both- I'm sure it will happen up north there sometime too :wink:
Yes Oldtimer you do know good cows that is why there are so many cries coming from the south wanting the border open to breeding stock as they want good Canadian genetics in the US herd too.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

The Montana Gov. is the one saying we aren't following the rules and that he should put his foot down and not import our cattle as they are messing with your market share. So I just have to wonder if he knows just how many Montana cattle eat the same feed our cattle eat. And about the adulterated feed Oldtimer did you forget that some of those feed samples that R-CALF said the CFIA found undeclared animal protiens in were IMPORTED FROM THE US. So how does this guy know that some of your non compliant feed mills aren't sell feed in MONTANA. I think he should take a look at the GAO report on the compliance of the US feed bans before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot again.

Tam- Should we just close the whole border- to everything :???: The FRAUD occurs when Canada sends down beef halves with CFIA inspection stamps on the carcasses and/or now boxed beef labeled "Product of Canada" and the packers/retailers remove that stamp and/or labels and relabel it with the USDA inspected stamp and pass it off to US consumers as a US produced product and US beef in order to sell it ...BUT come October in Montana that FRAUD will end :D

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Oldtimer clueing someone in? :lol: :lol: Self help is all I can suggest.

Good post Hanta Yo. I had a chat with a couple of Montana ranchers who knew Schweitzer and his family most of his life and they didn't have much good to say about him. I had to agree. It was good to see that the typical R-Calf BS is not shared by all who live just south of the 49th.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

Yes Oldtimer you do know good cows that is why there are so many cries coming from the south wanting the border open to breeding stock as they want good Canadian genetics in the US herd too.

Good post Tam!!

There were some American buyers up here in Canada trying to buy up about 2000 hiefers to breed and make into Mother cows. They Canada has darn good breeding stock and wish they could get them across the border.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

Good post Tam!!

There were some American buyers up here in Canada trying to buy up about 2000 hiefers to breed and make into Mother cows. They Canada has darn good breeding stock and wish they could get them across the border.

I just looked up the US 2005 imports FROM Canada to the US in Bull Semen and looks like if the US guys can't take the bull they sure are taking the important part as in 11 months Jan -Nov they imported $22,691,000 worth of it. In that same time frame they only exported $3,442,000 TO Canada. That was a 57% increase in imports over the same time frame in 2004. So I guess Oldtimer is right this time, Some US producers do know good cattle. :wink:

For those of you who are not familiar with Montanas COOL law- here is a copy from the M.C.A.

30-12-701. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Short title. This part may be cited as the "Country of Origin Placarding Act". (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 279, L. 2005.

30-12-702. (Effective October 1, 2006) Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Department" means the department of labor and industry provided for in Title 2, chapter 15, part 17.
(2) "Label" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(3) "Labeling" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(4) "Package" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103.
(5) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation, company, society, or association.
(6) "Placard" has the meaning provided in 50-31-103. (Subsections (1), (3), (5), and (6) void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-703. Labeling permitted. All producers, growers, and shippers of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb in this state are permitted to label each individual portion, piece, or package of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb in a conspicuous place as legibly, indelibly, and permanently as the nature of the commodity will permit, in a manner that indicates to an ultimate purchaser that the product was produced in Montana.

30-12-704. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) When placarding required -- removal of label prohibited -- exception. (1) Muscle cuts and ground beef, pork, poultry, or lamb, including any package that contains any blending of foreign and domestic product, that is produced in any country other than the United States and offered for retail sale in Montana must be labeled with a placard in a manner that indicates to an ultimate purchaser the country of origin.
(2) If one of the products enumerated in subsection (1) is unlabeled and the retail vendor is unable to determine its country of origin, the product must be labeled with a placard as "country of origin unknown".
(3) All retail vendors engaged in the business of selling products that are labeled or identified as to country of origin are prohibited from willfully or knowingly removing the labels or identifying marks.
(4) A placard is not required for prepared foods for immediate sale or ready to eat. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-705. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Penalties. (1) A person engaged in the business of retail vending of muscle cuts and ground beef, pork, poultry, or lamb who knowingly or purposely offers those products for sale without ensuring that the products are clearly labeled as to the country of origin, as provided in 30-12-704, is subject to the following penalties:
(a) for a first offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $100;
(b) for a second offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $250; and
(c) for a third or subsequent offense, a vendor shall be fined an amount not to exceed $500.
(2) A person engaged in the business of retail vending of beef, pork, poultry, or lamb who knowingly removes any labels or identifying marks from beef, pork, poultry, or lamb that is labeled as to the country of origin is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined an amount not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(3) As used in this section, "knowingly" and "purposely" have the meanings provided in 45-2-101. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

30-12-706. (Temporary--effective October 1, 2006) Department authorized to adopt rules. (1) The department may develop, adopt, and administer rules for the efficient enforcement of this part. The rules adopted by the department may include but are not limited to:
(a) statements that delineate the difference between imported and unimported raw agricultural commodities for the purpose of this part;
(b) the preferred labeling or placarding method for each commodity type identified in this part; and
(c) other rules that the department considers necessary to enforce this part.
(2) The rules adopted to implement this part may not unduly restrict a person from conducting business. (Void on occurrence of contingency--sec. 8, Ch. 279, L. 2005--see part compiler's comment.)

OT- No where on there does it mention horses. From the looks of your website that is about all you raise at your place. So why are you getting so upset? Youve likely ate lots of Canadian beef in your day and enjoyed it. Has it killed you? Youve got a better chance of getting in a car accident then do getting VCJD from Canadian beef. THe only damn reason your so concerned about MCOOL is due to the fact R-calf wants it and any thing your lil cult wants you stand strong on it. Are they going to label Texas beef as product of Texas? If you dont forget they did have BSE in a cow there. Are you afraid to eat beef products from Texas?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT- No where on there does it mention horses. From the looks of your website that is about all you raise at your place. So why are you getting so upset? Youve likely ate lots of Canadian beef in your day and enjoyed it. Has it killed you? Youve got a better chance of getting in a car accident then do getting VCJD from Canadian beef. THe only damn reason your so concerned about MCOOL is due to the fact R-calf wants it and any thing your lil cult wants you stand strong on it. Are they going to label Texas beef as product of Texas? If you dont forget they did have BSE in a cow there. Are you afraid to eat beef products from Texas?

Wrong MR- I supported M-COOL long before BSE was found anywhere in North America...And the reason I do is because the current practice is a FRAUD- it would be a crime if done with any other product...

Purposely and knowingly removing labeling from imported meat, restamping with a USDA stamp, and passing it off to consumers as a US product is FRAUD....

Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

Wrong MR- I supported M-COOL long before BSE was found anywhere in North America...And the reason I do is because the current practice is a FRAUD- it would be a crime if done with any other product...

Purposely and knowingly removing labeling from imported meat, restamping with a USDA stamp, and passing it off to consumers as a US product is FRAUD....
Oldtimer if you label the 5% that may make it to the meat counter but you also take the label off the imported meat being sold in the Food service industry without labeling it is that not also a FRAUD? If the US consumer sees most all meat in the meat counter is US beef won't they ASSUME that the beef they eat through food service is also US isn't that FRAUD? I have to wonder why that you keep saying it is a USDA label when what it really is is a USDA INSPECTED LABEL. USDA Inspected label doesn't mean US beef any more than the BSE tested label means BSE free. but it seems some of you don't seem to mind that little FRAUD being prepetrated on the consumers of US Beef.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

Oldtimer if you label the 5% that may make it to the meat counter but you also take the label off the imported meat being sold in the Food service industry without labeling it is that not also a FRAUD? If the US consumer sees most all meat in the meat counter is US beef won't they ASSUME that the beef they eat through food service is also US isn't that FRAUD? I have to wonder why that you keep saying it is a USDA label when what it really is is a USDA INSPECTED LABEL. USDA Inspected label doesn't mean US beef any more than the BSE tested label means BSE free. but it seems some of you don't seem to mind that little FRAUD being prepetrated on the consumers of US Beef.

The food service industry loopholes are ones that will need to be filled in the future--one step at a time- can't run until you learn to walk :wink: ...I personally believe that as people become aware of imported beef and the fraud that has been involved with it, it will move more to requesting US beef- which will lead more in the restaurant and food service to go that direction voluntarily- anyway in our area and especially if it can be sourced and labeled with "Product of Montana"...

Latest posts