• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High Fat tubs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
I was at the Washington Cattlemans Convention. I found a source for some 15% Fat tubs. I tried to find a high energy tub last year, every feed sales guy is Protien Brainwashed. My fall Pastures sub and it is very expensive. Besides, if Protien is limited, I think you will tend to find energy even ore limited.

The guy I talked to was from Goldendale. He said it is the best thing he ever used. He's seen cows lose condition on stubble and Protien, but do well with this. They bring it from the Midwest as I understood. Anyone have any experience with it???

PPRM

I just go back to my college nutrition class, Balance the ratrion for energy and protien will be there in abundance. Add a little energy to the rumen to help those forages get broken down. I have done it successfully feeding grass straw and supplementing with corn and good mineral. But a limiting tub on Late fall/winter grass might be the ticket. Grass is still green, sub irrigated/swampy area,

PPRM

Tubs are made by West-way. Northwest producers have gotten together to bring them in. They are actually 15% protien and 12 % fat.....They are ok mto use in a Natural Beef Program. I bought two tubs wieghing 200 lbs for $65 each. I think it may be another deal that feels better to me more than does the cows good. However, some guys swear by it. It works out to $12.00/hd per month.

The cows have kinda worried it a bit, but didn't go hard like I expected. Usually high fat=high flavor......

PPRM

PPRM, are those tubs golden in color?

Vigortone had some tubs called Goldenlyx. They were high energy tubs that sounded really good. I forgot who made them, but corn distillers were the main ingredient. Like I said, everything sounded super with them. There was just one little problem The cows wouldn't eat 'em. It was disappointing as all get out. They looked like a big cornbread and I don't think the cows could get them going with their tongue. It was like they couldn't dissolve them to eat them. We dumped them out of the plastic tubs and that helped some; but it was just too much hassle and we gave up on 'em. The company worked with us too, tried softening them up, flavoring them, but nothing worked.

Too bad, because they sure contained more nutrition than molasses tubs do.

BTW, what is the source of the fat in those tubs?

Tubs are blue, but the stuff did look puffed like a loaf of bread. Funny thing is, both tubs were knocked over, so maybe it was a lot of work to get what they have. I will have to look again for the ingredients. I will say, I put them on the opposite end of the pasture as to where the cows have been and noticed them there a lot this week. Tonight they were back on the normal side,

PPRM

Oops, I should have worded that question a bit differently.

Is the stuff inside the tubs, that the cows are supposed to eat, Golden in color?

The tubs I mentioned are blue too. But the product is golden. :nod:

And yes, they rolled these tubs around ALOT, trying to get something out of them. Didn't have much luck tho.

And thanks for checking what is in them. Will be interesting.

Northern Rancher said:
I thought this post was about some football teams offensive line lol.

Well at least we both knew it wasn't about us .... cause we're "low" :wink:

As for the rest of it, I'll not comment, Miranda Rights (or wrong) says we can't get in trouble that way :lol:

And those empty tubs that a person always forgets to take back to town - ya they make great holders for odds and ends but the metal ones fit nicely over auger motors. They won't blow away or rip apart in the wind. And then they're handy for the grain you accidently "spill".

here is some cornhusker high energy.......

SaturdaynightinLincoln.jpg
[/img]

38 - 9 that felt soooooo good.
go State !

I was useing alflafa as a protien supplement on corn stalks but have since changed to a ration of about 8lbs of Alfalfa and 12lb of wet distillers grain. Feed every other day. The cows look very good and i think it is a combination of the higher energy and higher fat.

PPRM,

You must be using the tubs as a convenience feed, as 650/ton is pretty a pretty steep price. We think cow cake is kinda high with the processing involved, but we could feed around 4 lbs. of 30% protein cake for one pound of the tubs. We just can't make them pencil. To tell the truth, if your cows would eat a pound a day, you could feed half their ration purchasing hay at 50 bucks a ton.

I just can't keep my mind from going over these cow costs you see. :wink:

Makes sense to me, jake.

Amazing how cattle people will spend all that money on supplement purchased from a feed story, yet holler to high heaven about $80/ton alfalfa hay.

In PPRM's case, I think the cattle are where it would be hard to get to them with hay. Not sure, just think so.

Be hard to justify up here this year-- People giving away old hay, just so they won't have to burn the stacks to make room for next years hay...One fellow is advertising your choice of his first, second, or third cutting alfalfa for $40 T....Fuel cost really cut into some of the Missouri River hay producers sales this year I think....

I just bought 500 tons for about 25 U.S. delivered-kind of nice to have a feast of hay up here after ten years of famine-I got a little bunch of cows trapped across a muskkeg that are just fat as ticks pawing out-can't get more cattle there or them out till we get some snow-even the deer travel patterns are changed because of the ice everywhere.

Jake,

The cows are in a place where I can't feed them. It is subirrigated and still green, the cows are on the heavy side, so Ireally don't think they neeeded anything. Just the time of year where a guy feels like he should do something. I am in the same camp as you on the Alfalfa, just can't help myself at times.

There are some forager products that work well at helping cows utilize dry grass. they are also a lot per ton, but they only eat a couple of pounds per day. I have friends that have done well with them,

If it doesn't dump snow on me, I will be able to graze this until the first of the year or so,

PPRM

The hi fat tubs sound interesting but I also try to justify the cost and feel I could buy a lot of good hay ( I bought first cutting mixed grass and alfalfa net rapped about 1500#) for $15.00 per bale - - - As long as I can buy hay around this price I don't put up hay myself - - stock pile the excess and get a few more cows.

I also feed corn screenings to the brood cows ( about three pounds per head per day) The local elevator gives them to me if I provide them a wagon to set under thier chute coming off the cleaner.

These test out at about 12% protien and with the hay and minerals my biggest problem seems to be keeping their weight down.

These tubs have two problems, Cost and ingredients. They were referred to me by a guy that grazes stubble in the fall. I am not against trying new things. The cows are in real good shape, so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.....When buying them, the cost caught e aback, but Idecided to try them just to see. I was still going by what another rancher was saying......Well, after getting them out, I checked the tub. The guys had said these could be used in a natural Beef Program. I took thier word for it. OK, Ammonium Sulfate and Hydrolized Chicken Feathers. I think I could do better than Ammonium Sulfate for a Protien Source and I am not into feeding Poultry Parts to my cattle.....

I posted here for feedback and I appreciate that which was given.

PPRM

Latest posts