• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

house fire

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Last nite around mid nite we lost our house and all of our possessions we had inside. Luckily the fire dept saved the cattle sheds and corrals. We were not home at the time and luckily our new puppy was safe with us in the truck. looking through the rubble this morning brings back a few memories as we find a few burned photos of past birthdays and things that have happened here on the farm. Really hard to start rebuilding because there are alot of things money can;t begin to buy that have sentimental (sp?) values. Its been tough dealing with BSE but dealing with this is a lot tougher. Word of thought for anyone using a space saver ceramic heater " Fire Marshall said this is what caused the fire. They are to be used once in a while not for hours as they heat up severly and go on fire. he said the best place for them is to throw them into the bush and forget about them. Luckily nobody got hurt! I thank the lord for that :wink:

I'm very sorry to hear the news. I can't even imagine what you must be going through. Good luck with the rebuilding process.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Last nite around mid nite we lost our house and all of our possessions we had inside. Luckily the fire dept saved the cattle sheds and corrals. We were not home at the time and luckily our new puppy was safe with us in the truck. looking through the rubble this morning brings back a few memories as we find a few burned photos of past birthdays and things that have happened here on the farm. Really hard to start rebuilding because there are alot of things money can;t begin to buy that have sentimental (sp?) values. Its been tough dealing with BSE but dealing with this is a lot tougher. Word of thought for anyone using a space saver ceramic heater " Fire Marshall said this is what caused the fire. They are to be used once in a while not for hours as they heat up severly and go on fire. he said the best place for them is to throw them into the bush and forget about them. Luckily nobody got hurt! I thank the lord for that :wink:

I don't suppose you bought that heater at Wal-Mart? My brother had one tip over last week and catch fire to the carpet. He and his wife were dozing in the livingroom and suddenly they could hear their three year old yelling 'Fire'. I thought those things were supposed to turn off when they fell over. Apparently this one didn't. Fortunately no one was hurt.

M-R, so sorry to hear that, can't imagine the loss as that has always been a fear with the number of fires we have out here. As Monique asked, do you need anything that we could help you with?

Sorry to hear the bad news about your house fire, Manitoba_Rancher. Like you say, there are just so many sentimental items that are lost that can never be replaced. Glad no one got hurt.

My dad's parents had a house burn down when my dad was about five years old. He had nightmares dealing with house fires for years after that.

Feel bad about your loss M-R. My wife lost her trailer house to a fire just before we were married. Lost everything. It's real hard to start over but praise the Lord you are all al-right. Let us know what we can do.

Manitoba Rancher-- All I can tell you is I really feel for you- many times the "memories" you lose is much worse than any monetarial value.....

Thank you everyone for your kindness you all seem like family to us and I really cherish that. Its a real mess around here , I was digging through the ashes today trying to find any photos that hadnt burned. I couldnt find anything that wasnt charred. Its real hard to see everything we ve worked for go up in smoke in just a few minutes. About the only thing we have right now is the clothes on our backs. Were lucky to have special grandparents as they have let us move into their house til we get a place to live in. Its been a hard day on us all. We ve got alot of cleaning up to do. If anyone would like to see pictures of where our house used to stand I can email them as we have quite a few on the camera.

Kind of seems like some space heater manufacturers ought to to be liable for the safety of their product. Might look into it. Good luck rebuilding, and hope you shared lots of pictures with friends and relatives that can be copied.

MR, so sorry to hear about the fire. There are so many things in a home that are irreplaceable, but if there's anything you need, don't be afraid to ask. Give a hug to every member of your family for me. Thank God you're all safe.

We've been gone all day getting our yearling bulls from the folks we buy them from, so I just got on the computer. Yours was the first thing I read. Would you mind posting your address so we can send you something, or guess we could do a private e-mail to you to find it out.

So sorry about the loss of your home. So many items that are not replaceable. We are thankful no one was hurt.

Some friends of ours bought a ranch east of Billings in 1993. They were moving in when that house caught on fire and burned down. The cause of it was dog food stored in a metal garbage can with the lid on. Caused it to heat up. Just posting this as a word of caution against storing dog food in a metal container.

Manitoba hope you get through this all ok-on the good side at least were goin' into summer not winter-keep us posted how things are going.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your home. We had a close enough call witha portable heater to. Dog snuck in when we were gone a few days and were using portable electric heaters to keep the house going with the wood stove out. heater without a tip over switch was sitting on washing machine and the dog knocked stuff off the drwyer trying to get out side. We put in a ground sourced heat pump this winter so we don't need to use the heaters anymore. so much cheaper that we don't even run the wood stove unless it is real cold.

Back to your problem.:
how about clothes. If you would list sizes, possibly someone has some usable closes that have srunk a bit much for them to wear that may be just what you need. If someone happened to be going that way and if they would fit, I have some that don't fit me that I would send if I could find a ride for them. I am sure there are other people of different sizes that have the same problem.

M_R,

Everyone on R.N. has expressed my sentiments exactly. I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you have good insurance, if there is anything, anything we can do to help, just let us know. I thank God no one was hurt, but the pictures, what an awful loss. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Hanta Yo

M_R, sent my sentiments in an email, and hope you got it ok. Thinking about photo's, here may be a tip for others, and one which I haven't used to the degree I planned on.....when my brother lost his house, they had some negatives in one of those small home safes. Mostly to keep them safe from the mice they were plagued with. Most of them were good, though some things in the safe obviously got pretty hot, as it was in the ashes all one day and overnight before it was cool enough, if I recall correctly.

Please give yourselves plenty of time to make decisions on rebuilding since you have a place to camp awhile. Seems like all too often, things done, and decisions made, under lots of pressure are more difficult than they should be.

I hope you can sort of lean back and let your family and friends surround you with caring and love while helping you whenever and however you need. Blessings come to both the giver and the receiver in situations such as yours, and sometimes it is a little hard for those needing the help to just relax and allow those who are giving it to do their thing to receive their blessings, too!

MRJ

Latest posts