• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How do you packer blamers explain this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

~SH~ said:
Let me say this so you can understand it clearly Randy.

Randy Kaiser, you don't know sh*t about packing plants or their profitability, period.

It's that simple.

~SH~

Diversion.

RobertMac said:
~SH~ said:
None of you packer blamers can explain why Tyson is closing plants when they are "SUPPOSEDLY" making so much money? Why is that? Why is the obvious too obvious for you packer blamers? Profitable plants don't close, THEY EXPAND!

Why can't you explain why a company that is making so much money would be closing plants? LOL!

They dance around it like circus chickens. At least you "packer blamers" know who you are as your responses indicate.

Poor, poor little packer blamers.

~SH~

Why is the national daily kill trending down?

Why is Tyson offering a no antibiotic, no added hormone beef line?

Robert Mac,

Why did Tyson close these plants?

"I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

~SH~

RobertMac said:
RobertMac said:
~SH~ said:
None of you packer blamers can explain why Tyson is closing plants when they are "SUPPOSEDLY" making so much money? Why is that? Why is the obvious too obvious for you packer blamers? Profitable plants don't close, THEY EXPAND!

Why can't you explain why a company that is making so much money would be closing plants? LOL!

They dance around it like circus chickens. At least you "packer blamers" know who you are as your responses indicate.

Poor, poor little packer blamers.

~SH~

SH this question is for you but I will help you answer it. Tyson wants to take away a profitable market niche that someone else has made up so they can control every profitable aspect of the beef business. No matter that those niches develop because of their failures in the market.

I just read an article saying "Lack of Export" markets was a big factor in consolidating the two plants into one.

Maybe they should rethink their "Testing" stance. :???: :???:

~SH~ wrote:
Let me say this so you can understand it clearly Randy.

Randy Kaiser, you don't know sh*t about packing plants or their profitability, period.

It's that simple.

~SH~

Okay Scott, I'll go and start selling shoes in the mall. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike thats the first semblance of facts brought in response to SH this thread.

However if testing was adopted do you think the border would be open in light of spinal material being sent to Japan? Articles posted clearly show Japan is happy with SRM removal but not happy that the mistake took place.

Tyson has to keep upgrading efficiency in plants to stay competitave. This is part of the $650 million that they were spending to reinvest in infrastructure.

I bet the old plant would be for sale, but I doubt buying an outdated plant would be profitable. Tyson will not give it away, that would be stupid business.

Maybe someone could buy the plant and process circus chickens. SH seems to think there is value in that.

~SH~ said:
Tyson Foods Inc. is consolidating beef operations in northeast Nebraska. Effective this week, Tyson will permanently close its beef-processing plant in Norfolk and its beef-slaughter plant in West Point. Production will be shifted primarily to the company's beef complex in Dakota City, Neb., which is completing a new beef-processing addition. To read more, go to drovers.com.

~SH~ said:
If Tyson is making so much money on slaughtering fat cattle off the backs of the poor little packer victims, why would they be closing plants instead of expanding them?

Ummm, the Dakota City, Nebraska plant IS expanding. Its right in your first post SH.

Its as the story says. They are consolidating the plants, likely to try and increase profitability through economies of scale. I don't see any mention of reduction of capacity (which they'd do if they were in trouble). Just because a company is already profitable doesn't mean they won't look to increase profits even more.

Or perhaps they already had excess capacity in the area?

Either explanation is MUCH more plausible than your "they must be in trouble and are closing down plants"

And to throw another twist into it. I don't know anything about the area in question, but I do find it interesting that Tyson is comfortable enough to shut down plants, likely increasing the distance that feeders have to truck animals. Perhaps they know there isn't any real competition in the area?

Rod

SH,

Robert Mac

Jason, you're just as oblivious.

Ok, SH,there has been many comments on here after you posed your question. I'm interested in you explanation why you think they are closing the plants. Thanks

feeder said:
Ok, SH,there has been many comments on here after you posed your question. I'm interested in you explanation why you think they are closing the plants. Thanks

Feeder, that's simple...it's R-CALF's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobertMac said:
feeder said:

Feeder, that's simple...it's R-CALF's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm telling you guys, its to make way for the circus chickens. :lol:

RobertMac said:
SH,

Robert Mac

Jason, you're just as oblivious.

Care to point out why I am oblivious Robert?

Many factors would influence the daily kill numbers.

Carcass weight, numbers of cattle ready, demand for beef etc etc.

Some of those factors can influence other factors, if fewer cattle are ready and the price is high enough carcass weight could come down, however if prices are falling, as they are now, cattle are held longer to make up some money on gain, and carcass weights go higher. If demand is softening, as it is now higher carcass weights will hurt prices.

I am not arrogant enough to think I know Tyson's business better than they do.

I bet the old plant would be for sale, but I doubt buying an outdated plant would be profitable. Tyson will not give it away, that would be stupid business.

My goodness, it must be cold in Southern Alberta and South Dakota today. Jason and Scott's brains are not even up to there usualy lower than average synapse levels.

Scott says Tyosn is still suffering form Rcalfs closed border and Jason tells us the plant was cratering. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tyson Foods Inc. said Wednesday that it will close two Nebraska beef plants this week and estimated fiscal 2006 earnings will fall even lower than predicted.

Springdale-based Tyson, the world's largest meat company, will consolidate the beef processing and slaughter operations in Norfolk, Neb., and West Point, Neb., into its beef complex in Dakota City, Neb.

Tyson employs 1, 300 workers at its Norfolk plant and 365 people in West Point.

Tyson said the consolidated beef operations and reduced costs should provide an annual savings of $ 40 million. The Dakota City plant is building an 84, 500-squarefoot addition that will start production in March.

The closings are expected to cause a charge to Tyson's secondquarter earnings of about $ 46 million, or 8 cents a share, the company said.

Tyson said it now expects fiscal 2006 earnings of 42 cents to 72 cents a share, below the 50 cents to 80 cents the company estimated last month it would earn.

Christine McCracken, an analyst with FTN Midwest Research, said weak export markets and tight cattle supplies in the United States "probably accelerated the decision" to close the plants.

About 92, 000 head of cattle were slaughtered Wednesday, down from 118, 000 head slaughtered on the same day last year, the U. S. Department of Agriculture reported.

Beef export markets remain slow to recover after more than 60 countries banned U. S. beef when a Washington state cow tested positive for mad-cow disease in 2003. Mexico and Taiwan have since reopened but are limiting imports by age and cut.

Mad cow, clinically known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is a fatal brain-wasting illness derived from the consumption of infected livestock.

Japan had begun to accept American beef in December but closed the market again last month after a veal company included banned parts in a shipment.

Tyson holds a 26 percent share of the U. S. beef market.

"They've got to continue the process of getting more efficient so they can stay competitive with other countries and other processors," McCracken said. "In a better market environment, it will help them recover faster, but it's not going to change things overnight."

Tyson said Jan. 30 that firstquarter earnings fell 19 percent to $ 39 million, or 11 cents a share, and the beef unit reported a $ 64 million loss in profits. "Our beef business has undoubtedly been facing difficult market conditions," Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson said. "The decision [to close the plants ] makes sense now because of the market conditions, but we also believe it will benefit us down the road, as well, when conditions improve." The company does not have any plans to consolidate additional plants, he said. The West Point, Neb., plant closed Wednesday and the Norfolk, Neb., plant will close Friday, Tyson Foods said.

"We've worked hard over the past year to try to keep these plants open and I appreciate everyone's efforts. However, we've concluded we can operate more efficiently by permanently consolidating operations," John Tyson, chairman and chief executive of Tyson Foods, said in a statement.

Tyson Foods said employees at both plants will continue to be paid and receive benefits for 60 days. The company will meet with workers to discuss jobs at other Tyson locations.

IBP Inc., acquired by Tyson in 2001, purchased the West Point, Neb., plant from Armour & Co. in 1967. IBP bought the Norfolk plant in 1998.

Tyson shares fell 3 cents to close Wednesday at $ 14. 71 in trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

To contact this reporter : ccody@arkansasonline. com

rkaiser said:
That's right SH, I explain nothing to YOU that you have the ability to understand.

I guess that your post indicates the plant closures that Tyson has had to deal with is due to the closed border. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how forward thinking companies think that economy of scale actually work. Consolidation of plants accompanied by expansion sounds like a progressive move rather than the "Woe is Tyson" story you are trying to portray.

Like I have said many a time, it's the folks who believe the fox news stories about Tyson that make me sick, the company itself---- I actually respect for their think tank and strategic maneuvers.

rkaiser, For a moment, set aside your extreme hatred of Tyson. Pretend someone else closed this plant. This plant is located in West Point, NE, in the northeast corner of the state. The other named plant is in Norfolk (yes, Johnny Carson's home town) which used to the be old Beef America plant. West Point is in Cuming county, one of the top counties in the state for fed cattle. The Norfolk plant was acquired approx 8 years ago.

Mike posted the article stating the company had lost $64M for the first qtr. At the same time, Jason posted Canfax numbers suggesting Canadian kill was flat to last year, and 23% over 2003. I don't know your full story rkaiser, but aren't you involved in producer processing? Is your endevor up and running? Did you get part of that 23% increase? Maybe, just maybe, supply and demand plays a part here. A tight supply of cattle and negative earnings would force anyone to reassess. Again, seeing past your Tyson hatred, maybe times are a little tough on the prairie out there. Your involvement with processing should confirm that.

Latest posts