• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How does one keep the neighbors bull out of ones pasture?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score

The closest pasture to a pasture of registered Angus is about a ¼ mile through the woods. This is the fourth time this Limousine bull has made the trip in a year or so. When he was caught this time he tore up the catch pin gate. The neighbor does not seem to offer any solution to keeping his bull in. What can be done to keep this bull out without paying a fine of going to jail?

You didn't hear this from me, but if someone was to rope him and stretch him out and put a band on his testicles, he wouldn't be much of a problem for long! :wink:

Or call the neighbor and tell th4em that any bulls of that type that have been in that pasture before always seem to die from lead posoning, for some odd reason. A 22 bullet is real hard to find as is the hole where it entered, after they swell up! :wink: :lol:

Seriously, there must be some tresspass laws or something there. Call the sheriff or an attorney, but only as a last resort.

Maybe take one of your bulls and deliver him and tell the person that you are finally gettin him his bull, since he must think that you are obviously trading bulls with him! Maybe a scrubby looking one, of a breed he doesn't like. :shock: :lol:

Unfortunately, once a bull takes to wandering, it usually becomes a habit with them and you can expect to see him back at your place again and again. If it were me, I might consider throwing him on the truck and sending him to auction and then just holding the check for the guy. My alternative would be to dig a big hole and next time he shows up, shoot him and bury him. When the guy comes looking, play dumb. Good Luck.

Alabama said:

The closest pasture to a pasture of registered Angus is about a ¼ mile through the woods. This is the fourth time this Limousine bull has made the trip in a year or so. When he was caught this time he tore up the catch pin gate. The neighbor does not seem to offer any solution to keeping his bull in. What can be done to keep this bull out without paying a fine of going to jail?

About 5 years ago a registered angus breeder up the road from me had a neighbors beefmaster bull in her pasture several times during breeding season. The angus breeder made several "reasonable" attempts to keep the bull out of her pasture because fences are to keep animals out as well as in.
She penned the bull and delivered it to the stockyard along with an amount of damages including hiring a vet to lutalyse the heifers that could have been bred. The stockyard held the bull until a settlement could be worked out.
It took 2 years for the case to make it through court and the infringing bulls' owner had to pay for all damages plus 2 years of board for the bull.

This case set a precedence in State law and is on the books as "Hall vs. Parrish".

I had a neighbors bull in my pasture one morning last year and put him in the barn then called the State Livestock and Brands to report it. They told me that I could sell the bull if no one could "positively" identify the bull.
A "visual" identification would not be good enough. I called the neighbor and asked him if he could positively identify the bull, telling him that the visual would not suffice. He called the sherriff on me and attempted to have me arrested and could not.

To make a long story short, you can cause the owner enough grief that he will keep the bull in his pasture but it will cause hard feelings between neighbors. Just depends on whether you want to piss him off or not.

Just may have to pi$$ the neighbor off. He should sell the bull or find a way to keep him up. If he forces action he needs to be pi$$ed off. One can only be nice so long. Thanks. I will pass it alon to my friend having this trouble.
I did find some laws on it and they read like you stated Mike.

a few years ago, the neighbors bull got into my dad in laws pasture and killed his bull.
Insurance company would not pay...said the heifers "enticed" the rogue bull over the fence and it was not thier problem.....they went to court, and the in laws got thier money.
Moral to the story : Flint Hills Judge don't give a crap about New York City insurance company!

this might sound mean but, shoot the bull with a .22 in the front hoof the bull wont be able to breed or jump a fence

i found this method works good after a longhorn got in with some of my ohlde cows

conan~I like it, I like it. We might have to try it~

We have a good early pasture we can't use because the neighbors put their cattle right across the fence. They breed earlier than we do, so that causes a problem. Their bulls ALWAYS get in with our cattle, and our bulls don't go anywhere. We put up an electric fence and darned if one of their bulls didn't go into another neighbors pasture and come down to jump the fence to get in with our cows. He is an onery sucker and they can't get him out~this was last year, not this year. They use four-wheelers and this bull has no respect; and none for a horse either. So, while I don't like hurting a dumb animal, this bull deserves what he gets.

By the way, these same people bought another place and their bulls get out in that neighborhood as well. One person who experienced the same thing we have, had a little talk with these people. The man who owns these travellin' bulls had the nerve to tell the protesting person, "why don't you put up an electric fence? At our other place the neighbor put up an electric fence to keep our bulls out." The reply to that was, "Well, I'm not as nice as he is, so you'd better keep track of your bulls or you won't have any to get out."

What I would really like to know, is why do our bulls stay home? They never leave. It's the same fence~

A bullet seems to be the answer. I have a neighbour that used to like running his cattle in our paddocks. They were poor quality Herefords,I loaded them up in our truck and put them off in his own paddock a distance away from his cows. It was obvious by his absence from his own herd it wasn't going to matter if he missed out on a few calves. We probably did him a favour. We have been waiting for his new Wagyu bull to get in,our Brahman must have him scared.
I'd put your meanest bull in the paddock that the bull gets into.
Colin

:D sounds good to me, I've had the other experience. Also keep my own best bull, in corral, as he's a travler. Just might work. :D

Alabama said:

Alabama ,all the posts here are good advice,but I believe I would pen the bull ,call the sheriff and let them handle it. In TX its called the estray law,after a couple times of the sheriff coming out I believe they will take appropiate action................good luck

Now you didn't hear this from me but.......Conan has the right idea. Except you should do a back hoof. I've seen many bulls jump and breed with a sore front foot. It's the back feet that have to carry the load for breeding. :wink: :wink:

Why is it........neighbors cattle or bulls break in we have to put them back and fix fence.....mine get out I have to get them and fix fence! We have some "neighbors" that have started renting small patches of grass next to us and are seriously overstocking....making for broken fence and lots of fencecrawlers. Electric fence definately helps but is a poor substitute for management. We do have a couple of PB breeding fields that have bull pressure on 2 sides.... electricity keeps them out as long as it is working.....that's the downside of electric fencing-too much maintenance! :roll: :?

Australian Cattleman

I ran into this problem about 6 years ago and did something similar. Neighbour would not keep his animal home and would not fix fence and so on. Cost me a good dollar in repairs and calving problems.

Owner was never around when things went wrong. And he was sure enough not interested when he was.

Penned the bull. Loaded him. Trucked him about 60 miles to a spot that shall remain nameless.

Let him out and went home. No other cows for miles around.

Neighour comes looking about TWO WEEKS LATER!

Sorry, haven't seen him.

They got him back by accident about 4 months later - owner shipped him. I suppose it was not really a good thing to do, but I was out of ideas and out of patience.

Broke Cowboy

were sucking another neighbors wet heifers, he loaded them and took them about ten miles, and dumped them in with other yrls. Owner got them back come shipping time. 8)

Broke Cowboy said:
Australian Cattleman

I ran into this problem about 6 years ago and did something similar. Neighbour would not keep his animal home and would not fix fence and so on. Cost me a good dollar in repairs and calving problems.

Owner was never around when things went wrong. And he was sure enough not interested when he was.

Penned the bull. Loaded him. Trucked him about 60 miles to a spot that shall remain nameless.

Let him out and went home. No other cows for miles around.

Neighour comes looking about TWO WEEKS LATER!

Sorry, haven't seen him.

They got him back by accident about 4 months later - owner shipped him. I suppose it was not really a good thing to do, but I was out of ideas and out of patience.

Broke Cowboy

I got a chuckle out of that.Dad had the same recurring problem.

My dad used to catch and pen our neighbors bulls, then ship them in the neighbors name.Eventualy that neighbor smartened up.

There is another side to a story of a bull getting out into the neighbors cows. Our neighbors turn their cattle out next to our winter and spring bull pasture. Isn't that enticement? Pretty hard to expect bulls to stay in with cows in heat across the fence.

In Oregon, the law comes down to whether you are on open range or not. If you are, you have to fence unwanted stock out,

That being said, we try to keep out of these situations. I knew a guy that actually bought a bull from a lady neighbor with ten cows as her short legged bull kept getting in with his. Part of the agreement was that he let her use one of his bulls every year. he said the improvement in his calves and the neighbors newfound interest in keepin an eye on his place was more than worth it, lol,

PPRM

Latest posts