• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How's Haying?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
How's haying going for everyone? We have 300 acres baled and another 100 cut sitting in the rain :roll: When we were cutting the first field we got a call about some stuff we usually do but they got someone else to do it. The guys they hired were screwin around and not showing up so guess who they called to come finish baling :lol: After that little bit we had 180 acres of first growth alfalfa for an organic farmer. Biggest and nicest field I have ever ran machinery in, only problem was I've never cut anything that lodged either! But he must be happy because he's never seen clover cut that low and he's never gotten so many bales off one field! We've had three or four rainy days a week, tough trying to get out there. Some not too happy (and vocal) customers are getting antsy, but what can you do. Glad we got a day of rain today. Got asked to do some contract work for a custom sprayer with our unit. Spraying for midge currently and getting ready to start burnoff. Three weeks to harvest and then winter, so I can get some sleep!

Hope all is good for everyone!

Take Care and God Bless.

I'll bet you can hire some haying help on shares, just as soon as they get done with the firetrucks....

We got 300 wrapped up no rain, waited for 12 days, and decided there is way too much to cut for us to wait any longer, so we are knocking down again. Hay crop looks good, but I am feeling sheepish based on what I am hearing down south and to the east

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
We got about a fifth of last year maybe less. Some of the ground was to poor to cut. It is dry and we had the weevils. :?

Are you done now? 8)

Pretty much, Got a patch of native grass to cut and bunch rake and a slough up on Lane's place to cut. Busy getting some fence fixed to move some cows that are running out of water.

Got roughly 500 acres cut now,400 more to cut and roughly 800 bales so far.Leaving the best fields for last,because it still likes to rain.

my dry land was 50%, got some new grass alfalfa planted with some barley this last rain brought the barley out of the boot but it was just planted as a cover and and it only 8 inmches tall.
my meadows go from nothing to very good so probally less the half a crop there, going to start wacking them down today.

Still waiting for it to reach the cutter bar. :lol:

After 3 weeks of hot weather we are now waiting for the current low to pass by. Machinery will be ready to go today.

gcreekrch said:
Still waiting for it to reach the cutter bar. :lol:

After 3 weeks of hot weather we are now waiting for the current low to pass by. Machinery will be ready to go today.

I hear you, some guys around here are done with no rain, some have nice black hay, and some haven't got going. I am hoping to knock most of it down before weekend is done, that is if we get a couple nice days. Not sure how long it takes to dry in 100% humidity, not usually our problem here, but I will take it.

roughly 2460 acres this year so far. we finished cutting the last 340 acres to bale yesterday. giving the boys the day off today (more for me i think). 100 acres left to swath for a neighbor, 80 acres of peas at home to dry for harvest, 160 acres wheat to swath in exchange to harvest peas, then 1100 acres spring wheat lined up to lay down for another neighbor. new messages every night. a friend from bear paws phoned the other night wanted us to cut 100 acres about 90 miles from here - hard to let him down but just don't have time for that little acres that far away.

anybody ever layed down peas and then picked up with combine. has a couple streaks of weeds and greener spots - just trying to make it easier to combine - also avoid desescate expense. any experience there?

I've seen pea swaths laying and drying waiting for the combine,get hit by a wind storm,there was no longer swaths just big piles,blown in the neighbours field,blown in the ditch everywhere except where they were suppose to be.

We always swath our peas. Use a swath roller. make sure to watch for shelling and don't push it if it's tough, you wreck stuff when you do that. They will need to dry out for a few days if there's lots of weeds but our 9070 ate them up last year with green thistles in the swath yet.

I don't know if you wanna come up this far for round bales of grass but we're going to be selling a bunch

Latest posts