• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I killed Bambi today!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sitting in the tractor this morning, dodging four different bucks while I was cutting, I got to thinking. If there's 400,000 deer in this province, and say half are does, each doe having one or two fawns this spring puts us with another 200,000 to 300,000 deer we have to deal with. If the powers that be would lower the fees for hunting licenses and maybe give out some free tags, maybe part of the problem would be solved. When somebody phones to ask permission to hunt on our land, I never say no. As a matter of fact, I tell them to take as many deer as they like!

Do they give landowners any free tags? In Illinois you get a free tag for every... I can't remember how many acres but I do know that I could get a shotgun, a muzzle and an archery for free and I think the farm as a whole qualifies for 40 of them or something like that.. (An individual can only get three freebies but a family can use more).

In Illinois as a resident you can harvest as many does as you want with an archery tag. I know folks who took 10 or 11 and started donating the meat to hunters for the hungry. In some places it is down right silly how many deer there are.

We put in for a draw,if then we don't get the draw then landowners kicks in,thats in Alta.and our area,not sure about Sask. or other Alta. areas.Oh and the tags are not free!

I think our herd is estimatd at 300k or something like that... I want to say 100k deer were taken by hunters legally last year. That doesn't count those not recovered, not reported or taken out of season which, I am sure is more than I would care to think about.

We have a nomral draw for everyone else for shotgun and smokepole but Archery is over the counter for residents... Unfortunately hunting leases is a huge business in Illinois... Well, unfortunetely for those who want to take their kids hunting or something like that.. Not a huge fan.. The leases are destrpying the heritage.

IL Rancher said:
I think our herd is estimatd at 300k or something like that... I want to say 100k deer were taken by hunters legally last year.
That's the problem around here,nobody hunts anymore.Around our area it is all acreages,after my farm.So everything is pretty well posted no hunting.Tags are expensive and by the time you get a pound of deer back from the butcher,and the cost of the hunt.That meat is pretty expensive.You have to really enjoy the hunt.Plus our good liberal goverment :mad: ,brought in the gun registry and a lot of people just quit hunting,to avoid the hassle of unregistered guns.Thats when i hung up my gun's.

One hard winter will put the deer herd in check.That's what happened here in 95 was pretty poor hunting for a few years after that.

I was thinking about this post this morning while swathing- ran out about 20 does and half a dozen bambis (that I saw) in a 40 acre piece- didn't hit any tho :) ...

The negative thing I noticed was very few birds this year...No grouse and few pheasants- no hatches and I didn't see any nests...Maybe the early rains we had played havoc with their nesting...

Oldtimer said:
The negative thing I noticed was very few birds this year...No grouse and few pheasants- no hatches and I didn't see any nests...Maybe the early rains we had played havoc with their nesting...
I haven't seen any praire chicken nests either.The Mrs said something to me early in june,with all the water we have in the potholes how come there are no baby ducks,where are the baby ducks?

We've been seeing ducks in the hayfields, no water around. Could they just be nesting now? Seems awful late. Mind you, I haven't seen any nests, whether it's ducks or chickens. I found one duck nest in April when I was dragging hay fields (which I swung around and missed), but other than that, none. Odd. :???:

I don't mean to open a whole other can of worms but...why can't we as landowners be the ones to decide on who gets tags for our land. Yes I can deny someone from hunting on my land but why is it what I can't decide who can have a tag for our area. We do not have such a deer problem as a antalope problem. I sware I cry just as much as when I hit one with the mowers as I do when they eat my prized lilic bush. I think the real problem here is controling the population better. Who came up with the right number of animals that can roam...someone who lives on the 110th floor and doesn't see real grass unless he goes to a park and has never seen a deer or antalope but in a zoo.

littlehouseontheprairie said:
I don't mean to open a whole other can of worms but...why can't we as landowners be the ones to decide on who gets tags for our land. Yes I can deny someone from hunting on my land but why is it what I can't decide who can have a tag for our area. We do not have such a deer problem as a antalope problem. I sware I cry just as much as when I hit one with the mowers as I do when they eat my prized lilic bush. I think the real problem here is controling the population better. Who came up with the right number of animals that can roam...someone who lives on the 110th floor and doesn't see real grass unless he goes to a park and has never seen a deer or antalope but in a zoo.

Here's the way I control tags/hunting on my places........a hunter shows up with no tellin how many tags on his license,that the good ole TX parks & wild life sold him,big revenue generator.........put more tags on license,go up on license fee,poor guy he just bought wasted paper,because no one kills deer on my place without permission,I believe I am the best judge of how many deer are on my ranch............good luck

Latest posts