• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I WONDER IF I SHOULD BELIEVE THIS?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Let's Review…

In response to the recent article in the Wyoming Roundup concerning the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA) and their alliance with consumer groups and the accusations from Wyoming Stockgrower Vice President Jim Magagna, Rob Hendry and Jim Graves.

Let's review the cold hard documented facts concerning the abrupt trading halt with the Pacific Rim countries. The United States had enjoyed and benefited from a healthy relationship with these trading partners up until a Canadian born cow in Washington state tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). Trade with those countries came to an abrupt halt AFTER the Canadian imported cow tested positive. That is, later, following the fact, subsequent to the positive finding.

Japan trusted U.S. beef and purchased millions of dollars worth each year BEFORE one single documented case of non-native BSE was found in the U.S.

How in the world can we open the Canadian border thinking that will do the trick to open trade exports to the Pacific Rim? What part of this media reported, hard fact, documented scenario isn't getting through? We have never opened our borders to any country that has BSE. Why would we lower the bar now and why Canada in particular? We can sum that up in two words, "packer power".

R-CALF USA President Leo McDonnell put it best in the Wyoming Roundup, "But the U.S. has been importing boxed beef from Canada for two years now, and it hasn't spurred the rest of the world to halt their import bans on U.S. beef".

Mr. Graves states, "The U.S. can't expect to regain exports to the Pacific Rim if it isn't willing to accept imports from Canada". Which part about why the border closed in the first place does Mr. Graves not understand? He also goes on to say, "Canadian cattle are no different, in terms of BSE risk, than those found right here in the U.S.".

If Mr. Graves knows more about U.S. BSE than the rest of us, you have to question where he got his information and is it based on science? That is an accusation that should not be thrown around lightly. Mr. Graves, if this is a scare tactic targeted toward R-CALF and their members, it isn't working. The only thing you are accomplishing is degrading consumer confidence, the very thing you profess to be protecting. Mr. Graves do you really think it is in the best interest of the cattle industry and consumers to spout that kind of reckless, undocumented or at least unpublished, information?

Another fact that seems to go beyond the scope of these men's thinking, R-CALF USA is fighting FOR the U.S. cattlemen and the future of our entire industry. In fact, so far into the future that not only can these three gentlemen not see it or fathom it but neither can the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. Mr. Hendry and Mr. Graves, did you not enjoy the history making market of the past two years? Yes, the opening of the Canadian border will result in a down market. Yes, U.S. consumers will react violently to the possibility of tainted beef in their local stores and who could blame them?

Mr. Magagna is quoted in the Wyoming Roundup as stating, "We are concerned about making consumer confidence an issue in discussions over the Canadian border". In all due respect, that is the issue, the only issue. Plain and simple.

Those of us in the cattle industry should be even more concerned than our consumers are. They can choose to eat beef or not, but their paychecks will continue coming while they eat chicken, pork or tofu. Our paycheck will decline or worse yet, stop. Their choice will affect our life and the lives of our future cattle generations. Our consumers wield the ultimate purchasing power.

In their zeal to try and prove R-CALF USA wrong, Mr. Magagna, Mr. Hendry and Mr. Graves have apparently forgotten who eats our beef. With the inevitable opening of the Canadian border, consumer confidence will drop, along with their beef spending dollars. Without MCOOL, they cannot discern north of the border from south of the border. So having said this, why would we not align ourselves with our most important asset…our beef consumer?

We respect cattlemen's choice of either R-CALF USA or NCBA. Mr. Hendry has crossed the line and insulted the integrity of all these cattlemen, regardless of their affliation choice. According to scores of cattle producers across the country, R-CALF is on the right path as reported recently in the Wyoming Roundup. R-CALF USA has had a record year of financial support, not from federally mandated assessments as the NCBA, but from funds raised by voluntary donations.

After R-CALF led the charge in a Montana court, our own Wyoming Senators have led the charge in Washington D.C. to keep the border closed. And thank the Lord, many more across the nation agreed, as recorded recently in the Senate Joint Resolution 4 vote of 52-46 to keep the border closed. We all owe a debt of gratitude to Senators Thomas and Enzi. We have confidence that Representative Cubin will also step up to the plate when this issue is brought to a vote in the house. Ms. Cubin has been an advocate for Wyoming Ag in the MCOOL fight all along.

Referring to R-CALF USA, Mr. Hendry is quoted in the Wyoming Roundup, "Let's face it, they are worried about the market, not about food safety". What part of your support for opening the Canadian border is about food safety? Can you really have both Mr. Hendry, an open border with a BSE country and a safe food supply? How does that make any sense scientifically or economically?

Last but no less important, is the arrogant cavalier attitude of Mr. Hendry concerning BSE in the world. Would you have a different opinion of it sir if one of your loved ones contracted it? Does this make it any less important to the people that have contracted it and died and the family that mourns them? What compounds the grief is the fact that they could have avoided it in their food source had they known. Not everyone has the opportunity to raise their own beef. You sir are one of the fortunate ones who has a choice to eat beef that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is safe. Apparently the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) doesn't agree with you and your assessment of the number in the world that died from BSE infected beef either. They set the scientific standards for BSE in the first place and consider even one death from BSE a tragedy and totally unacceptable. As do the rest of us with any moral thread of diginity.

Of course there is the subject of Mr. Hendry comparing R-CALF USA with PETA. Well, that is so far off it doesn't even warrant a rebuttal.

I know this is a stupid question but what is your point Haymaker.

Are you questioning R-Calf or Mr. Hendry.

I wish R-calf would explain what the difference is if the UTM cattle cross the border alive or in boxes ! I would rather we get more slaughter plants built up here and keep the border closed. We should do more testing and find new markets. Relying on the US as a trading partner is foolish ( softwood lumber, wheat etc)

Moose said:
I wish R-calf would explain what the difference is if the UTM cattle cross the border alive or in boxes ! I would rather we get more slaughter plants built up here and keep the border closed. We should do more testing and find new markets. Relying on the US as a trading partner is foolish ( softwood lumber, wheat etc)

R-CALF is not OK with UTM coming down either way.

Bill said:

MR HENDRY,and the people like him that that keep trying to twist this into an econonmic issue,by reminding the consumer that the American and Canadian herds are mixed and are one and the same only prolong the border opening by diverting attention away from the fact it is a health concern and we need to keep it isolated as best we can till the risk is neglibile.................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Bill said:

MR HENDRY,and the people like him that that keep trying to twist this into an econonmic issue,by reminding the consumer that the American and Canadian herds are mixed and are one and the same only prolong the border opening by diverting attention away from the fact it is a health concern and we need to keep it isolated as best we can till the risk is neglibile.................good luck

It is pretty clear who has used this a health issue and twisted it into an economic issue for their benefit and it ain't Mr. Hendry. Nice to know where you stand on it though Haymaker, remember that when the next US case is reported. It's only a matter of time......good luck.

Yes lets review this

Let's review the cold hard documented facts concerning the abrupt trading halt with the Pacific Rim countries. The United States had enjoyed and benefited from a healthy relationship with these trading partners up until a Canadian born cow in Washington state tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). Trade with those countries came to an abrupt halt AFTER the Canadian imported cow tested positive. That is, later, following the fact, subsequent to the positive finding

Gee we now know it was a Canadian cow that tested positive but do we know where her remains we recalled from no I guess the FACTS concerning this case and the resulting trade halt don't mention she was in the US FOOD CHAIN.

Japan trusted U.S. beef and purchased millions of dollars worth each year BEFORE one single documented case of non-native BSE was found in the U.S.

Again, was found in the US FOOD CHAIN. Japan knows how many other Canadian cattle live in the US that the US can't find and how much feed has been imported and fed to US cattle, so you can't consider the first case found in the US FOOD CHAIN to be in isolation of the whole US herd, at least that is what the OIE said.

How in the world can we open the Canadian border thinking that will do the trick to open trade exports to the Pacific Rim? What part of this media reported, hard fact, documented scenario isn't getting through? We have never opened our borders to any country that has BSE. Why would we lower the bar now and why Canada in particular? We can sum that up in two words, "packer power".

The hard facts are that the US is seen at least by the eyes of the world to be the same risk as Canada, so if you want to get back your exports you better show the world that you believe the science you have been trying to sell to them or you are dead in the water OFF the Pacific Rim Coast. If you don't trust the science that Canada has used to protect us why should they believe the lesser version you use protected you.? Remember they KNOW how much trade has gone on between the US and Canada. And maybe the volume of trade with Canada is WHY Canada in particular.

R-CALF USA President Leo McDonnell put it best in the Wyoming Roundup, "But the U.S. has been importing boxed beef from Canada for two years now, and it hasn't spurred the rest of the world to halt their import bans on U.S. beef".

Mr. Graves states, "The U.S. can't expect to regain exports to the Pacific Rim if it isn't willing to accept imports from Canada". Which part about why the border closed in the first place does Mr. Graves not understand? He also goes on to say, "Canadian cattle are no different, in terms of BSE risk, than those found right here in the U.S.".

Leo McDonnell only said half the facts and Graves is right. The US has been taking boxed beef and by not accepting imported live cattle of the same age that the beef came from in Canada, You are telling the world you don't trust your slaughter industry as much as you trust Canada's Mr. Graves is also right in that "Canadian cattle are no different, in terms of BSE risk, than those found right here in the U.S.". Because of the trade the US agreed to with the UK and the EU and Canada too your herd was exposed to BSE and the rest of the world knows it. You can't deny the FACT that one imported cow was found in your herd with BSE and there were probably other infected cows imported . Because you haven't found them , the OIE believes they when undetected through your system and were rendered and fed back to YOUR herd. Putting you at the same risk level as Canada. Again if you don't trust the US slaughter industry with imported cattle why should the pacific rim trust them with your herd?

if this is a scare tactic targeted toward R-CALF and their members, it isn't working. The only thing you are accomplishing is degrading consumer confidence, the very thing you profess to be protecting. Mr. Graves do you really think it is in the best interest of the cattle industry and consumers to spout that kind of reckless, undocumented or at least unpublished, information?

This is the biggest joke statement made in this whole write up. Just who is out trying to scare the consumer away from beef . The US consumer doesn't have any idea if they are eating US or Canadian beef or beef imported from all the other countries you import from, so by calling into question the safety of any beef is going to drive them into not eating beef period. What does this person know that the rest of the world doesn't know "that kind of reckless, undocumented or at least unpublished, information? " Could it be that the US has found BSE but just didn't publish it.?

Mr. Hendry and Mr. Graves, did you not enjoy the history making market of the past two years? Yes, the opening of the Canadian border will result in a down market.

Isn't this the real reason for the border to be closed because R-CALF member enjoyed the history making market of the past two years.

Yes, U.S. consumers will react violently to the possibility of tainted beef in their local stores and who could blame them?

"R-CALF USA President Leo McDonnell put it best in the Wyoming Roundup, "But the U.S. has been importing boxed beef from Canada for two years now," So why would the consumer react violently now don't they trust your slaughter plants either.

Mr. Magagna is quoted in the Wyoming Roundup as stating, "We are concerned about making consumer confidence an issue in discussions over the Canadian border". In all due respect, that is the issue, the only issue. Plain and simple.

Consumer confidence is based on food safety and if the beef coming in from Canada in boxes hasn't caused a big concern with them then I would have to think that live cattle of the same age shouldn't either but I think the question from about best says it. "Did you not enjoy the history making market of the past two years?"

Need I review the rest of this write up or can we just agree that it was all written from the veiw of R-CALF's twisted truth?

HAY MAKER said:
Bill said:

Haymaker I thought you have said repeatly that Canadian beef wasn't the problem but you did have concerns about the stuff coming from your neighbors to the south.

It is pretty clear who has used this a health issue and twisted it into an economic issue for their benefit and it ain't Mr. Hendry. Nice to know where you stand on it though Haymaker, remember that when the next US case is reported. It's only a matter of time......good luck.

Bill if what you say is true?why do we import your beef? How will a home grown case of BSE,have a positive effect on the border oppening?I believe if you think about this you will agree,its a health concern...........good luck

Bill if what you say is true?why do we import your beef?

You import Canadian beef because it is a safe, quality product which goes through higher standards at harvest than used in US plants.

How will a home grown case of BSE,have a positive effect on the border oppening?

No one said that a US home grown case would have a positive or negative effect on the border opening. Sadly it will have a tremendous impact on US consumer confidence in ALL beef thanks to R-Calf and folks such as yourself.

I believe if you think about this you will agree,its a health concern...........good luck

Your opinion is that it is a health concern and mine is that it is a fear tactic employed by R-Calf and those such as yourself to once again throw up a wall around the US in yet another protectionist maneuver.

Tam, Bill, others: please recall that Haymaker has a history on this site of saying anything, regardless of the facts of the matter, that he believes will support his biases.

He claims NCBA is supported by the Beef Checkoff which is an absolute lie. All contracts awarded by the Cattlemens Beef Board (membership in NCBA is NOT a requisite for membership on CBB!) are strictly on a cost recovery basis, with NO PROFIT to the contracting organization. What could be more clear, yet Haymaker insists the opposite is the case.

Why then, would we expect him to admit the facts of the Canada border problem ?

MRJ

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:
Bill said:

Haymaker I thought you have said repeatly that Canadian beef wasn't the problem but you did have concerns about the stuff coming from your neighbors to the south.

MISS TAM;
I have said repeatedly that I believe canadian cattle moved south in an orderly manner posed no more of a long term threat to the markets than the weather.I have also said I am neutral in the border dispute,we all know the cattle in canada are high quality we also know there were 4 cases of BSE ,this is what concerns many of us.I cant get some of these folks to agree we need to study this BSE before we start co mingleing these herds again.whats the hurry all your beef is going south,mixing cattle more at this time only compounds the problem.............good luck

MRJ said:
Tam, Bill, others: please recall that Haymaker has a history on this site of saying anything, regardless of the facts of the matter, that he believes will support his biases.

He claims NCBA is supported by the Beef Checkoff which is an absolute lie. All contracts awarded by the Cattlemens Beef Board (membership in NCBA is NOT a requisite for membership on CBB!) are strictly on a cost recovery basis, with NO PROFIT to the contracting organization. What could be more clear, yet Haymaker insists the opposite is the case.

MRJ

MRJ you are preaching to the choir,cattle men are not buying your bull what part of that do you not understand?And why are you willing to prevent all these hard working cattle men an opportunity to choose?
I like many have said all along leave the check off just like it is ,participate at will call it plan A ,Let the cattle man have another option call it plan B administered by the LMA,then I call that fair then I say things will start settling down .lets see some competition I believe that to be the real problem some of yall are afraid of a little friendly competition.........................good luck PS MRJ I know this is hard for you to understand because you have never practiced it but write this down..........COMPETION CREATES FAIRNESS.....Its a sad day in my life when people like you have to be taken to court to do the right thing

we start co mingleing these herds again.whats the hurry all your beef is going south,mixing cattle more at this time only compounds the problem.............good luck

Who said anything about comingleing the herds again Haymaker the rule you and your group of fearmongering idiots got the injunction to stop was for UTM cattle for immediate slaughter and UTM feeders that were to be Branded with a CAN and have a RFID tag that proves they are from Canada in they ears. They are to be hauled on sealed trucks to a single feedlot to a Pen where no other cattle resided then on to the slaughter house for slaughter. What is comingleing about that? Who will be mixing Canadian cattle with US cattle? If someone is caught mixing the cattle then that person was pretty stupid to try it and deserves whatever the law decides to do with them.

Haymaker,
when are you going to understand, checkoff dollars can only be used for BEEF PROMOTION AND RESEARCh. How can LMA do any of those things???????

Tam said:
we start co mingleing these herds again.whats the hurry all your beef is going south,mixing cattle more at this time only compounds the problem.............good luck

Who said anything about comingleing the herds again Haymaker the rule you and your group of fearmongering idiots got the injunction to stop was for UTM cattle for immediate slaughter and UTM feeders that were to be Branded with a CAN and have a RFID tag that proves they are from Canada in they ears. They are to be hauled on sealed trucks to a single feedlot to a Pen where no other cattle resided then on to the slaughter house for slaughter. What is comingleing about that? Who will be mixing Canadian cattle with US cattle? If someone is caught mixing the cattle then that person was pretty stupid to try it and deserves whatever the law decides to do with them.

Settle down Miss Tam,no since in calling 14000 no wait I heard a rumor this morning 15000 cattle men names,first utm cattle then otm cattle then breeding cattle ,then right back where we started,I just dont think we have this BSE problem solved to the point we can start moving cattle..............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

I know this is hard for you to understand because you have never practiced it but write this down..........COMPETION CREATES FAIRNESS.....Its a sad day in my life when people like you have to be taken to court to do the right thing

Maybe you should listen to your own advice Haymaker. It sure sounds like you are describing R-Calf to a T. No one seems to fear competition more than them.

R-CALF's arguments are so weak and so contradictary that they are laughable when comparing them to what they said previously.

Leo: "How in the world can we open the Canadian border thinking that will do the trick to open trade exports to the Pacific Rim?"

THE ORIGIN OF THE COW DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT SHE WAS HERE LEO AND IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT MORE CANADIAN CATTLE ARE HERE.

You yourself said that USDA should find the Canadian cattle in the U.S.

WELL IF YOU ADMIT THAT CANADIAN CATTLE ARE HERE, THEN IF CANADIAN CATTLE ARE UNSAFE, U.S. CATTLE ARE UNSAFE. HELLO???

Leo: "What part of this media reported, hard fact, documented scenario isn't getting through?":

FOR YOU LEO???

The fact that we have Canadian cattle in the United States.
The fact that SRMs are removed virtually eliminating the greatest threat of BSE contamination.
The fact that BSE surveilance has increased.
The fact that BSE positive animals are removed from the food chain.
The fact that the feed ban is in place.
The fact that Canada has a traceback system.
The fact that we are talking about UTM cattle, the bulk of which would be under 20 months, that would not reveal BSE prions.
The fact that we are importing Canadian beef now.

Those are the cold hard documented facts that are not getting through for you or your fellow Canadian blamer's thick heads.

Leo: "We have never opened our borders to any country that has BSE. Why would we lower the bar now and why Canada in particular?"

Who is lowering the bar?

We have raised the bar with the BSE precautionary measures that have been taken allowing us to open the border.

Leo: "We can sum that up in two words, "packer power"."

Of course, "BWAME DA PACKAH". It's always on the tip of your tongue isn't it?

Leo: "Which part about why the border closed in the first place does Mr. Graves not understand?"

Obviously nothing. He knows we had BSE you seem to be the one forgetting that little detail Leo.

Leo: "The only thing you are accomplishing is degrading consumer confidence, the very thing you profess to be protecting. Mr. Graves do you really think it is in the best interest of the cattle industry and consumers to spout that kind of reckless, undocumented or at least unpublished, information?"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

SUCH ARROGANCE!!!!

Who was it that said USDA doesn't care about food safety Leo?

Who was it that said Canadian beef is unsafe KNOWING WE HAVE CANADIAN CATTLE IN THE UNITED STATES????

Who was it that disregards the BSE precautionary measures that are being taken.

NONE OTHER THAN R-CULT!!!!!!

You have the nerve to accuse someone else of "fear mongering" and "reckless statements"?????

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: "Mr. Hendry and Mr. Graves, did you not enjoy the history making market of the past two years?"

Yup, a market that was driven by an increase in consumer demand which is evident by the fact that the market continued to rally after 50% of Canadian beef imports resumed??? R-CULT is simply too ignorant of supply and demand factors to understand that.

Quote: "Yes, U.S. consumers will react violently to the possibility of tainted beef in their local stores and who could blame them?"

With the lies that have been perpetuated by your blaming organization, WHODA THOUGHT??????

Quote: "With the inevitable opening of the Canadian border, consumer confidence will drop, along with their beef spending dollars."

DON'T SUPPOSE YOUR LIES ABOUT THE SAFETY OF CANADIAN BEEF HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?????

Quote: "R-CALF USA has had a record year of financial support, not from federally mandated assessments as the NCBA, but from funds raised by voluntary donations."

Which speaks to R-CULT's ability to get their lies to the masses, UNCHALLENGED!

Quote: "Can you really have both Mr. Hendry, an open border with a BSE country and a safe food supply?"

WE HAVE IT RIGHT NOW!!! WE HAVE SAFE BEEF, CANADIAN IMPORTED BEEF, AND CANADIAN COWS WITHIN OUR DOMESTIC HERD!

Who would be stupid enough to suggest otherwise.......R-CULT, of course!

Quote: "Would you have a different opinion of it sir if one of your loved ones contracted it? Does this make it any less important to the people that have contracted it and died and the family that mourns them? What compounds the grief is the fact that they could have avoided it in their food source had they known."

THIS FROM THE SAME HYPOCRITE WHO SUPPORTED PROHIBITING "M"ID FROM "M"COOL!

These guys have absolutely no shame. Pull on the heartstrings, play the victims, Poor me.

The fact is Canadian beef is safe and you have absolutely nothing to support your position to the contrary which only serves to set the U.S. cattlemen up for a fall in the event that BSE is discovered in a domestic animal. ALL BASED ON LIES.

What a pathetic bunch!

~SH~

Haymaker said:
I like many have said all along leave the check off just like it is ,participate at will call it plan A ,Let the cattle man have another option call it plan B administered by the LMA,then I call that fair then I say things will start settling down .lets see some competition I believe that to be the real problem some of yall are afraid of a little friendly competition

Do you even know who the LMA is, Haymaker? I would have to say they are the biggest bunch of crooks, packer blamers, whiners, etc. I have ever been around. They don't want imports because they don't get their precious commission dollars. They started their attack on NCBA because NCBA did research on retained ownership and found that with the right kind of cattle you could possibly make $26 a head. But that does not put commission dollars in their pocket. They say that NCBA is funded by checkoff dollars which is a lie. But Dennis Hanson from Ft Pierre sale barn finally admitted Monday morning on his "market report" that if you tell a lie enough times, people will start believing it. Thanks for the honest moment, Denny.

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=&zip=57532&last=Hanson&first=Mark

Latest posts