• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

If you won a million dollars?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kathy

Reaction score
This might be more suited to the other session, but I have a theoretical question.

If you won a million dollars, or two, would you stay in the cattle business or would you quit it?

I think I would quit raising cattle, but continue to harass researchers and investigate the BSE situation. And I would travel.

How about you?

If I won a million dollars I would pay down some debt and rest would have to wait. :lol:

I'd live off the interest, and also give some to R-calf, so they could burn the other cheek! they are going to be one of the most hated groups in America, right beside PETA in the future! Was talking to a rancher in PA, (300 cows) yesterday, he didn't even know who R-calf was.

The R-Calf train is just getting warmed up buddy.

Hope you jump off before it hits the end of the tunnel! they'll be crumpled in a heap soon enough!

Murgen, love your sense of humor. Keep me laughing, it's helping to take the edge off the crappy day I'm having.

:shock: If I had that million Kathy, I'd have a couple hundred embyo recips bought while my wife wasn't looking, and pump them with Galloway and Welsh Black embryo's. Why would anyone ever want to quit this business???????????????????????

I would donate it all to my favorite charity........ME !

Just getting my foot really planted in this business, I could really use the million right now.

Many people wonder why I want to go into ag, or live out here in the middle of nowhere...... all I can say is if you don't understand it, then you are one less I have to compete against !

I would absolutely get back into the cattle business full time. Without hesitation. Why? Because I love raising quality cattle.

Hat: "I've got news for you, they are one of the fastest growing groups in my area. R-Calf signs are going up in businesses on main street daily. The R-Calf train is just getting warmed up buddy."

No organization will ever maintain success by lying. The PETA comparison is valid for that reason. Prey on people's emotions and the truth be damned. I'm finding more and more people are getting R-CULT figured out for the lying, deceptive organization that they are.

The truth is coming Hat!

R-CULT has seen their glory days. R-CULT has said to the nation that increased BSE surveilance, the feed ban, and SRM removal is not enough to assure that cattle under 30 months of age are safe.

R-CULT's position has been established and they will not be able to lie their way around it in the event of a domestic case of BSE. If Canada's beef is unsafe, they cannot change their position for our beef in the same situation. They've sealed their doom.

~SH~

Buy more land, a decent tractor, a decent baler, a decent mower, a new and smaller barn, a quonset, a decent corral system....and after all that...maybe next week's groceries :p :D

Hat: "Please enlighten me how FTA's with Australia, South America, Canada, and Central America are going to make me more money as a US cow/calf producer."

1. The bulk of our imports from Australia and New Zealand is lean trimmings that are blended with our surplus 50/50 trim TO ADD VALUE TO IT. Imports from Austalia and New Zealand are PRICE POSITIVE for U.S. producers.

R-CULT didn't tell you that did they?

2. South America constitutes a small fraction of our imports making them basically irrelevant at this time.

3. Canadian beef imports are a deficit but if Canada doesn't export to the U.S., they will eventually absorb that same portion of our export market. What have we gained then? NOTHING!

4. Mexico? When R-CULT was filing a dumping case against Canada, Mexico was filing a dumping case against the U.S. Prior to the recent BSE situation, we exported more dollars worth of beef and beef products to Mexco than we imported.

5. For the previous 7 years prior to the border closing we exported $1.3 "BILLION" dollars more beef and beef by products than we imported. That adds about $28 per head to your cattle. That's why NCBA is focused no normalized trade while your beloved R-CULT is lying about the safety of Canadian live cattle that are now coming down in boxes and jeoprodizing our export markets in the process.

So much for your theories on free trade agreements huh?

If you think you can refute anything I have presented here, BRING IT HAT!

When you stop listening to R-CULT and do your own research you will find out how badly you are being misled.

~SH~

SH, "2. South America constitutes a small fraction of our imports making them basically irrelevant at this time. R-CULT didn't tell you that did they? "

South America also has a much larger herd than the US. South America has also openly declared that they want to "feed the world". South America is rapidly modernizing their infrastructure so they can feed the world. US packers (yeah, the same guys who supply US meat counters) are establishing a presence in South America. Trade barriers are dropping left and right. South Americans have cheaper land, labor, etc... than the US does, lowering their cost of production. The large US packers have already shown their game plan via Canadian boxed beef. R-CALF is telling you that. (enough facts yet?)

Are you going to listen or read "basically irrelevant at this time" and fall asleep and listen to what the nice AMI and their backers tells you. When you wake up, it'll be too late.

What's your point Sandblaster?

South America is currently a very small portion of our import market.

Who knows what the future holds for South America but R-CULT is not the only organization focused on it. They are simply the only organization "fear mongering" about it.

~SH~

Hat: "You're a pathetic piece of scat masquerading as a rancher. You couldn't be further from it or it's ideals."

Typical! You ask a question, I provide factual answers, and you can't handle the truth.

That's called BRAINWASHING!!!!

I'll take this insult as your admission to your inability to contradict anything I have presented regarding trade.

NEXT!!!!!

~SH~

SH, don't forget, Hat stated he is 25 years old, didn't he? He hasn't had time to gain the necessary experience to give him a true sense of the cattle business, IMO.

Hat, what is the extent of your education? I don't necessarily mean formal ed. because that can be over rated. What I mean is from whom do you take/get advice? Where do you look for information about the agriculture business? Do you believe it is best to seal the borders of the USA and keep all the "profits" from farming from feeding our own population only?

Any of you who believe we do not need to import/export beef: realizing the USA contains approximately 4% of the world population, do you see any value in the give and take necessary to trade in the 94% portion of the world market for beef?

I believe a smaller piece of that 94% market will better serve the US cattlemen than the entire piece of ONLY the 4% market (exclusively the USA).

MRJ

I'd go to Tahiti where the girls dont wear no tops ..

no actually I would spend it on wine,women and song.The rest I would just waste.

I would buy stock in the distillery that produces "Tangle Ridge", then travel the world all the while promoting my product. :wink:

Hat: "Prior to BSE we were in Nafta and our prices were s***. I acknowledge were in the high end of the price cycle but our price cycles are not historically accurate given we've never had FTA's like we have now."

You just flat don't get it do you????

Australian and New Zealand imports create a PRICE POSITIVE situation for U.S. producers by adding value to their worthless 50/50 trim. We can't supply enough "CHEAP" trim domestically to blend with it.

Mexico "WAS" a PRICE POSITIVE situation for the U.S. WE EXPORTED MORE DOLLARS WORTH OF BEEF AND BEEF BY PRODUCTS THAN WE IMPORTED FROM MEXICO. When R-CULT was filing their loser dumping case against Canada, Mexico was filing one against the U.S.

JAPAN "WAS" a price positive situation for the U.S. WE EXPORTED MORE DOLLARS WORTH OF BEEF AND BEEF BY PRODUCTS THAN WE IMPORTED FROM JAPAN.

South Korea "WAS" a price positive situation for the U.S. WE EXPORTED MORE DOLLARS WORTH OF BEEF AND BEEF BY PRODUCTS THAN WE IMPORTED FROM SOUTH KOREA.

Canada is the only deficit situation for beef and beef by product trade and if we didn't import from Canada, they would assume that same percentage of our Japan market. DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT??? NOOOOOOOO!!!!

ONCE AGAIN HAT, "PRIOR TO THE BSE BORDER CLOSURE, WE WERE IN A $1.3 BILLION DOLLAR TRADE SURPLUS SITUATION FOR A SEVEN YEAR AVERAGE AMOUNTING TO AN ADDITIONAL $28 PER HEAD IN THE U.S.

In Contrast, Bullard says we'd be in a favorable position without any trade. Is taking less for your cattle a "favorable position" to you????

Those are the unrefuted facts. You can get that information from the U.S. Dept of Commerce - Bureau of Census.

If you just want to R-CULT it by looking only at cattle prices rather than isolating the trade value of those prices, you cannot possibly understand the value of trade.

To say that prices were higher prior to NAFTA is to ignore CONSUMER DEMAND, DOMESTIC SUPPLIES, COMPETITIVE MEAT VALUES, VALUE ADDED PRODUCTS, and all the other things that affected cattle prices during that period of time.

Nobody but a complete fool looks at one aspect of the equation and tries to determine what caused low cattle prices.

40 pounds extra carcass weight will damn near wipe out your bitch about Canadian imports. Don't you understand that??? Probably not if all you do is listen to Bullard, McDonnel, Herman and Johnny.

You R-CALFers don't have a clue about all the things that affect cattle prices do you? You just repeat what you hear. Come on, step up to the plate and take me to task on the value of beef and beef by product trade.

For years we have heard that low cattle prices were a result of packer concentration and captive supply. WE JUST SAW THE HIGHEST CATTLE PRICES EVER RECORDED WITH THE SAME LEVEL OF PACKER CONCENTRATION AND VIRTUALLY THE SAME LEVEL OF CAPTIVE SUPPLY.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT????

Why wasn't anyone bitching about packer concentration and captive supplies then?? BECAUSE THEY ARE BOGUS BULLSH*T THEORIES, THAT'S WHY!

I suppose you R-CALFers have some whiz bang domestic market for tongues, livers, ofal, chucks and rounds huh? Oh, that's right, you were probably giving financial contributions to ending the checkoff program instead huh? Based on another lie about checkoff funds funding NCBA while you were getting your daily brainwashing from the Livestock Marketing Police. Rather support packer parasite lawsuits because they made a WHOPPING $26 per head on your cattle and signed your captive supply contracts that you willingly entered into huh?????

Now let's divert these issues by talking about how rude I am shall we? LOL!

~SH~

Latest posts