• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

In the news

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bill

Reaction score
Quotes from a CCA director in Friday's Star Phoenix nexspaper regarding BSE testing in Canada:

"The first thing we should do is look at what it does cost, how quickly could we get the system implemented and what's the logistics of that. And then, will it really get us into any markets."

After 22 months this is the leadership shown during the worst disaster to ever hit Canadian producers?

"Maybe we need to go out and offer that to some of these countries to see if they'll bite on it."

Yes it is probably about time.

Beef News
Canadian political party backs universal testing for exports

by Pete Hisey on 3/21/05 for Meatingplace.com

Saying that it is time to expand Canada's export markets, the Saskatchewan Party has recommended that Canada test every animal meant for export for bovine spongiform encephalopathy. According to The Regina Leader-Post, spokesman Bob Bjornerud said that such testing "would really put the Americans in a spot" and would give Canada a competitive advantage in foreign markets, particularly Japan.

However, such a decision would have to be made on the federal level, and Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister Mark Wartman said that no foreign markets closed to Canadian beef have said that testing would influence their decisions.

Government sources said that such testing would also undercut the long-held Canadian argument that Canadian beef, by every scientific standard, is safe.

If we do test every one .... American beef will never be let back into export markets...lets go for it, show the R-calfers our beef is safe!

M-R...If we do test every one .... American beef will never be let back into export markets...lets go for it, show the R-calfers our beef is safe!

Test them all and find out. I am all for you on this.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
If we do test every one .... American beef will never be let back into export markets...lets go for it, show the R-calfers our beef is safe!

Sounds great in theory, but do you really think R-calf would go away if we tested all animals?

This is a political issue not a food saftey issue. That has been conceeded by most of the R-calf supporters here.

I think we are light years ahead of the US in terms of herd health, animal id, and BSE testing. Now it's time to tell the rest of our customers we are open for business, going into potential export countries and explaining our system will be sucessful. We don't have to wait for the States, if we get that market back great, but we will need more than that when all these plants come on line this fall.

I, for one, firmly believe that the US will never test all their beef animals because of what it would reveal. There is no way that the American beef industry, and I use that term deliberately, wants to risk experiencing the fiasco that took place in Britain. With the long history of importing British cattle, and worse yet, feedstuffs, why would the North American herd be free of BSE?

How many hundreds of billions of dollars would it cost the US if that scenario would repeat itself here?

So the tactic of choice is to deny, deny deny....

Hat said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

Past performance shows if you test everyone you'll probably end up with 10 more BSE cows. Your like the kid who gets all excited p***** his pants while the others sit quietly and think it out. Go for it, show us, i know your scared.

:eek: Oh, is that why US ranchers aren't turning over their dead and dying because they sat back and thought it out and they're scared if they do the U.S. will find BSE in your herd too. :shock: You want to boost about having the safest beef in the world and your high health and safety standards are protecting the US consumers, the beef indusrty and U.S. jobs but you don't want to back those statement up with the actual OIE recommended testing program do you. :???: No you would rather the USDA test slaughter plant animals the ones that the OIE say is a less risky subpopulation for finding BSE. I hope you bet on the right plan because if BSE is found, you and the rest of the US ranchers are going to loose everything by the time PETA gets done reciting R-CALF lies about food safety back to your consumers. :cry2:

Excuse me, but isn't PETA in bed with R-calf? Didn't I read that somewhere that they were aligning themselves together on how "safe" Canadian beef was? If I'm wrong, I'm sorry for asking. If I'm right, well then Hat, you're not that well informed. Somebody, other than Hat, let me know one way or the other, please.

Shelly...Excuse me, but isn't PETA in bed with R-calf?

Shelly why don't you do a search and find out for yourself? Do you honestly think that 14,000 cattle producers would stand for it if they aligned with PETA?
Now the NCBA aligning themselves with the Nature Conservancy is ok by the members on this board.

Tommy said:

Shelly why don't you do a search and find out for yourself? Do you honestly think that 14,000 cattle producers would stand for it if they aligned with PETA?
Now the NCBA aligning themselves with the Nature Conservancy is ok by the members on this board.

Hey, I was just asking! I really just wanted a straight honest answer WITHOUT being called names or having some nasty smartmouthed comeback! Jeez, I guess I shouldn't be asking anything!

reader, I wasn't referring to you. It was Tommy, I just got the sense he was being quite sarcastic with me.

Hat said:
No you would rather the USDA test slaughter plant animals

Why wouldn't you? Aren't those the ones your gonna eat? Sorry try to keep up with common sense.

You and the rest of the US ranchers are going to loose everything by the time PETA gets done reciting R-CALF lies about food safety back to your consumers. :cry2:

Lady, your a few fries short of a happy meal. Do you honestly think that the American consumer takes every thing PETA says verbatim? You know their a joke, I know their a joke, and the US consumer knows their a radical small fringe group and puts no stock in what they say. Find a new argument, this ones DONE.[/quote]

Yes in the pass they have been thought of as a radical group but when they stand up hand in hand with other anti beef groups and say this is what R-CALF a beef organization has been telling you about Canadian beef do you think they will just be over looked. Them and the rest of the anti beef groups will be using beef industry words against you and if you think that is not going to happen well guess again old man You can sell your whole herd and donate the money to R-CALF but that is not going to change the fact they stood up with the enemy and lied about beef safety to further their agenda.

"A few fries short of a happy meal" LMAO
That was a good one. I will have to remember that one.

Shelly...reader, I wasn't referring to you. It was Tommy, I just got the sense he was being quite sarcastic with me

Not at all Shelly. Although your statement to Hat seemed a bit sarcastic to me.

Which is more sarcastic?

My reply to you...Shelly why don't you do a search and find out for yourself? Do you honestly think that 14,000 cattle producers would stand for it if they aligned with PETA?

Or your reply to me...Hey, I was just asking! I really just wanted a straight honest answer WITHOUT being called names or having some nasty smartmouthed comeback! Jeez, I guess I shouldn't be asking anything!

And I never called you a name either. I don't do that.

No you would rather the USDA test slaughter plant animals

Why wouldn't you? Aren't those the ones your gonna eat? Sorry try to keep up with common sense.

when asked Why isn't the USDA testing all cattle slaughtered in the U.S.
their answer was

USDA BSE tests are not food safety tests. They are specifically used to determine whether BSE exsists in the U.S. cattle population and if so, at what level. It is USDA's position that such testing is vaild only for a staistically based surveillance system. It is inportant to note that the removal of specified risk material (SRM's) is the single most important action that can be taken to protect public health. Current BSE tests are not accurate for animals that are not showing clinical signs of BSE. One estimate is that current test methodology would have a false negative test rate of 92% for clinically normal adults cattle because prions accumulation is lower than the detection threshold(i.e if 100 BSE- infected adult cattle were tested while clinically normal, 92% of them would test negative even though they were, in fact infected).
Why don't you keep up with the science!!! And read something beside R-CALF press releases to see what your next thought should be. :roll:

By the way The OIE is very clear in stating that the likehood of detecting BSE in cattle varies immensely among cattle sub popualtions and testing healthy cattle at slaughter is the least likely to produce results. This statement was also made by the the US government.

reader (the Second) said:
Alabama said:
"A few fries short of a happy meal" LMAO
That was a good one. I will have to remember that one.

It was amusing, I agree, although I hate to see anyone tease Shelly who has restrained herself and been polite and pleasant on the worst of days here on the Bull Session. I personally loathe McDonald's so the image conjures up greasy fries and unidentifiable flattened meat substance to me.

Hat made that comment to my post Reader and I personally think he is a hamburger, a drink and a few fries short of a happy meal. I guess that is what you get when you rely on R-CALF to do your research for you.

Latest posts