• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is this the beginnings of cancer eye?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cancer eye can start on the eyeball itself, but more commonly it starts in the third eyelid or the bottom eyelid. The growths then can irritate the eye, causing watering, grey color to the cornea or ulcers. The pink tissue at the front of the eye is the third eyelid and it is hard to tell from the picture but it looks a little bumpy to me. That can be because it is a bit inflamed from something in the eye or infection (there is infection fighting tissue in there like in lymph nodes that gets bigger when needed) or it could be an early cancer eye. If you run her in a chute and run it between your fingers, it should be soft. If you feel a lump or hard area, it is probably early cancer eye and it should be treated early. Cancer eyes on third eyelids are the best kind because you can remove that eyelid quite easily and get rid of it. Ones on the eyeball, you remove the eyeball and if it is early enough you saved her. Ones on the lower lid are hardest because it is really hard to get it all and then the eye won't close properly. Too late on any of them and it has spread. I would check it out soon for sure. If you can't, get it to a vet. At that size, you have a good chance of fixing it permanently pretty easily (and cheaply) compared if you leave it.

Had a steer once with a similar looking eye. Also had a pretty good country vet who took a scalpel and cut the eye where the white spot was, injected an antibiotic. Month later never would know it was there.

Vet said that the eye was probably irritated from hay/grass weed seed,ect.

I hate to say this but most people around here run angus because we cant get away from eye problems any other way.

Take the animal to the vet. Cheap easy fix vs blind cull.

We had a cow years ago that developed cancer eye..... vet removed the eye, stitched her up and she lived for several more years producing several calves.

I posted a picture back in 06 on CT under" pic of the cloud in the eye." I tried to post that picture here but no luck. If it is the same thing, my cow went blind in that eye but that was it. otherwise she was fine and raised her calf. I did cull her for having one eye though.

No.
we get one like that once in awhile and it is an injury.

The cancer on the eye that we have dealt with starts as a small white mass or as it has been said an ulcer looking mass.
We will have the eye removed if it has progressed pretty far. Let her raise the calf and sell her.

Have one cow right now with a small white mass due to a piece of hay causing an injury to her eye. It has not grown, but it still freaks out vet when he see's it.

Latest posts