• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Isn't COOL great?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wdcook

Reaction score
Massive losses in the feedlot sector, our two best beef importers furious with us and filing suit in the WTO, the calf market in the tank and it is painfully obvious the US consumer doesn't give a tinker's damn about a "COOL" label. Isn't it quite a coincindence that this happened shortly after COOL took effect?

SH, where is he now?

Don't forget packing jobs lost, and the almost total destruction of the Canadian cattle industry.

If prices had risen after cool, whether it had anything to do with it or not, you can bet you'd see an RCALF press release in every newspaper around. Quick to take credit for high prices, and quicker to blame low prices on us, but only when convenient. Real quiet the rest of the time.

Today our neighbour told us that his banker told him he should sell his tractor and baler to pay his bills. :shock: :shock: What the *&^ kind of advice is that? The advice you get from someone who does not want you in business any more that's what. :? :? :? This guy has good cows, raises big calves, has no big debt, and a good job, yet the bank wants to pull the plug. Bull hockey! :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the last winter for a lot of people here. At last weeks sale I saw at least a dozen calves weighing 200 to 250 pounds in the sale. That only means one thing. That their mommas have gone to slaughter and the whole calf crop is being sold no matter whether they are ready to wean or not.

It's enough to make you sick.

Thanks.

If you go to your supermarket, can you seperate the US beef from the Canadian beef from the Mexican?

Sandhusker said:
If you go to your supermarket, can you seperate the US beef from the Canadian beef from the Mexican?

Sandy, I believe the infered question was how much money has COOL made the US producer?

gcreekrch said:
Sandhusker said:

Sandy, I believe the infered question was how much money has COOL made the US producer?

My question has a point.

Sandhusker said:
gcreekrch said:
Sandhusker said:

My question has a point.

In the larger scheme of things, no it doesn't.

How long will you keep on fooling yourself sandy?

Sandhusker said:

How can Canadian consumers help the Canadian cattle producer when they can't even identify what is Canadian beef?
How can the Canadian producer promote something that the consumer can't even identify- or separate from US, Mexican, Uruguayan, etc. beef ?

I thought it was a quite interesting article on Agriville- how at a time when Canadian producers are going broke/selling out- the ABP/CCCA folks in charge were using your checkoff dollars to buy big screen TV monitors to put in all the Livestock Yards- so you can better watch yourselves going broke... :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Too bad they aren't working on some ways to promote Canadian beef- things like being able to identify and separate if from the generic beef coming in from all over the world-- some way to identify it and using those checkoff dollars to promote and market it...... :???:

burnt said:
Sandhusker said:
gcreekrch said:

My question has a point.

In the larger scheme of things, no it doesn't.

How long will you keep on fooling yourself sandy?

My point is that, the last time I was at a meat counter, you couldn't seperate US from Canadian from Mexican. Therefore, we don't have COOL.

We can find Canadian beef in our stores quite easily. And it can be done without passing laws that break trade agreements. It's labeled on a voluntary basis, and consumers have the choice. The hottest new trend in food marketing in this country is local food, and the stores are embracing promoting Canadian beef as part of their marketing strategy.

We have the Beef Information Centre, which promotes Canadian beef on line, as well as by traditional methods. http://www.beefinfo.org/

We have the Canadian Beef Advantage program that promotes the values of Canadian beef, both here and in other countries. Yes, that means in the U.S. too. :wink:

And yes, there is COOL. It's killing us up here. :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, you guys lobbied for years to bring it in, and got it. So it had the desired effect of killing off the competition. At least the live cattle competition, not BEEF competition. The BEEF is still coming in. And then it didn't do a thing for your prices. It did not bring the American label to the stores. Wonder why? Maybe because people are more concerned with being able to just afford groceries than they are about where the animal that became their BEEF was born?

Maybe because it was one big royal waste of time?

So therefore it doesn't exist. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Good Grief........ Now I've heard it all.

Well with the USA's dubious track record of inspection/testing and recycling of bovine byproduct and SRM's back through the food chain, it is safe to say that the effect of COOL as a successful marketing tool rests fully on the sustained ignorance of the average American consumer.

If they would realize the extent of the risk in producing beef U.S. style, then the beef sold under the Maple Leaf would be a pretty hot item in the retail cooler.

C'mon guys, don't let science or logic get in the way of RCALF. MCOOL is great, just ask RCALF. If you don't agree, they will surely help you see the error of your ways.

Kato, "So, you guys lobbied for years to bring it in, and got it. "

No, we haven't got it. We've got an emasculated bill that the packers got watered down. When I last checked the meat counter, the labels said "Product of USA, Canada, Mexico". That is not country of origin, that is continent of origin.

You say that COOL is the reason for low prices? How so? With a label like that, what is the justification? How is it costing the packers more to sell Canadian beef under that label?

It doesn't even have to cost them anything, because all they need is an excuse. Last time I spoke to our buyer it was an even five cents a pound right off the top, and to that you have to add the extra freight, and shrink, wait time for limited trucks, and loss of grade that comes from hauling the extra miles to the plants that will even take them at all.

It comes to a fair amount of cash off of an already low price. Just another nail in the coffin. :shock:

We could have worked together to deal with this packer concentration, but no, you guys wouldn't want to do that would you? It's much better to go it alone eh? It's much better to alienate thousands of fellow cattle producers who could have backed you up. Cattle producers who would be more than willing to work together to solve this problem we share.

No, much better to just help get rid of us first.

Kato said:
It doesn't even have to cost them anything, because all they need is an excuse. Last time I spoke to our buyer it was an even five cents a pound right off the top, and to that you have to add the extra freight, and shrink, wait time for limited trucks, and loss of grade that comes from hauling the extra miles to the plants that will even take them at all.

It comes to a fair amount of cash off of an already low price. Just another nail in the coffin. :shock:

We could have worked together to deal with this packer concentration, but no, you guys wouldn't want to do that would you? It's much better to go it alone eh? It's much better to alienate thousands of fellow cattle producers who could have backed you up. Cattle producers who would be more than willing to work together to solve this problem we share.

Go get em' Kato. :D Even if it is like pouring water in a gopher hole. :wink:

Kato said:

That's right, all it is is an excuse. They're screwing you so that you'll argue against COOL and get it tossed so that they can continue screwing you like they have been for years - and you're doing exactly what they want.

You say that could of worked together? What were you doing? Allowing private BSE testing would of been a shot to them, but noooo, couldn't do that. Your goverment funding a startup producer-owned packing plant would of been a big blow, but what was the deal, "We can pick winners and losers"?

Here's the deal, how about we BOTH get REAL COOL? The packers obviously don't want it, they'll lie and cheat to fight it - doesn't that tell you something?

Sandhusker said:
Kato said:

That's right, all it is is an excuse. They're screwing you so that you'll argue against COOL and get it tossed so that they can continue screwing you like they have been for years - and you're doing exactly what they want.

You say that could of worked together? What were you doing? Allowing private BSE testing would of been a shot to them, but noooo, couldn't do that. Your goverment funding a startup producer-owned packing plant would of been a big blow, but what was the deal, "We can pick winners and losers"?

Here's the deal, how about we BOTH get REAL COOL? The packers obviously don't want it, they'll lie and cheat to fight it - doesn't that tell you something?

AMEN !!!!

wdcook said:
Massive losses in the feedlot sector, our two best beef importers furious with us and filing suit in the WTO, the calf market in the tank and it is painfully obvious the US consumer doesn't give a tinker's damn about a "COOL" label. Isn't it quite a coincindence that this happened shortly after COOL took effect?

SH, where is he now?
And I thought that it was the depressed economy and high unemployment in the world's largest beef market that was causing consumers to spend less of their money for high dollar items like beef...boy, was I wrong!!!

And SH says....

Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:
Kato said:

AMEN !!!!

Well you boys can fool yourselves until the cows come home if you want to, but the reality is that the industry is done as in "stick a fork in it, it's done" done.

I hope you mindless rcalfers are proud of the fact that you handed the packers the kyjelly while they raped our industry to death.

Spin it however you want, but you played right into their hands and thought you were saving your domestic market with your protectionist attitudes and actions.

You couldn't have been more wrong and if you are stupid enough to believe otherwise then the demise of your industry will deservedly meet the same fate as ours.

Latest posts