• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 6310 Issues

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I really don't remember how that series of tractor is built. Now this might sound crazy, but I have known of tractors of other makes, that had loaders on them. For some reason the bolts where the transmission splits will loosen just enough to cause enough flex that eventually drive shafts or something will fail. Might be a good idea to have them use new bolts.

One time we had a 4020, just got it back from a transmission job, used it about 45 minutes with a loader on to move and scoup snow. The main shaft in the transmission broke. The repair shop said it couldn't be anything they had done as it was the main shaft. Still I wonder if the bolts on the split were tightened to the right torque. Just something to think about.

Clarencen, the model of tractor Ben H is speaking of has a short exposed drive-shaft with a U-joint on each end between the engine and transmission. In my opinion the yokes are built too light to take the torque the engine is transfering to the transmission when all the oil is cold. Maybe the retaining bolts get a little loose or worn and let go when conditions are right. I do know it was an $8000.00 operation when mine went out as the transmission case got cracked and a bunch of wiring and hydraulic lines were damaged also.

I thought that may have been the case with that model. Still we are looking for clues for what happened. Maybe the cracked transmission case is the clue. Cast Iron breaks more easily when it is cold. We don't know for sure what gave out first. Maybe something was a little off balance, causing viberation or something.

There was a few years when John Deere came out with a lot of different models of tractors. I think they were trying to meet compition. I never was very familiar with some of them. From what I have heard some that were built in Germany or Japan didn't quite live up to the standards expected of them.

I think the 55 series JD tractors are the best models they ever made. Every time they start messing with the design they take a step backwards. I'd rather have four 55 series tractors than one new one for the same money. Don't have to stop and unhook anything either. 😉
This is an old thread but I was looking at buying a 6410 JD.
Question for anybody still on this site would be do you feel an older 40 series JD even if it had 8 to 12 thousand hours on it would be a better buy?

This is an old thread but I was looking at buying a 6410 JD.
Question for anybody still on this site would be do you feel an older 40 series JD even if it had 8 to 12 thousand hours on it would be a better buy?
Our 00 series tractors have been and still are the best. 6410 has not had this issue since we built a warm shop for it to live in during the winter. Our newest tractor is a 6430 that just turned over 10000 hours. Love operating it but computer issues show up quite frequently.

Latest posts