• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Last American Cowboys.......?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BAR BAR 2 said:
Thanks Old Farm Boy. I wish all of the people who lived back east had such a common sense approach and attitude. Please don't get me wrong as far as "Whale Wars" goes. I am all for protecting endangered species and the earths resources. I just think we could take a more common sense approach to it and we sure don't need environmental terrorists causing ship wrecks at sea or driving spikes into timber. I read once that the average activist is a college educated housewife. They have a disposable income and time on their hands. ( Don't get mad ladies. That's what the article said). Anyhow, these educated people feel that its their right and perogative to dictate to the rest of us how we shoud conduct our business and live our lives. Last American Cowboys was a fairly decent show but I wish they had put more thought into some aspects. One thing that ranchers have to overcome is the stigma of corporate ranches or factory farms. Thanks to the show, now a lot of people think that 1 out of 3 cattle operations in the country gather cattle with helicopters. Some parts of the show were spot on but other parts were kind of out there. Eventhough it bugs me to no end, as ranchers we have to be ever vigilant to perception. All the animal rights people need is a little toe hold and then they are like a dog with a bone. I was watching O'Reilly a while back and he had a spot on about "Muttin' Bustin'". Bill allowed how this kids parents were "Pinheads" for allowing their child to do this. It goes back to not knowing. Even the "Culture Warrior" has some prejudice against our way of life. Always be ready to educate !

Did you not see my post/video on that ignorant man, Tim Long, and his brave brave cows? That was my point with that video....it gives those salad eaters the toe hold they need and puts a feather in their hats! Makes me sick....

I will replace the Galt coyote incident with the latest in my back 40 (backyard). I have two apple trees espaliered on the south picket fence of my property. I started the year with 60 apples and had 7 left on Monday. Today I have three. My neighbors came over this morning and asked me if I knew what happened to their fence. I told them I was at a production of Guys and Dolls, to the delight of the wife. :evil: They told me that one of their PVC picket fence sections was knocked down and that one of mine was knocked down. They set them back in place. I had a suspicion. For weeks I have seen what appeared to be hoof prints on my side of the fence in the bark mulch under the apple trees. I just couldn't bring myself to believe that a deer was in my fenced in yard. The hoof prints were there again ( as I smooth out the mulch to keep track). I now have three apples left. I couldn't believe it was a deer though. I had to check the north fence. There is a tight space between my shed and the rabbit hutch. I went around the outside of my north fence and saw more evidence that a deer had been in the yard. Right at the narrow opening between the buildings, the top of two pickets had been broken right off.
I have seen deer jump six foot fencing on cattle grazing land up north, but just didn't believe that in a tight urban area along the seacoast, that they would be up to the same shenanigans. I have had no deer issues on this property in the past nine years, but sure did this year. Now I have to deer proof my apples. Can't shoot here, so will have to get inventive.
I won't be roping any that I see, like some on this bulletin board have done. Deer that jump the fence are definitely feeling it, either in the legs or belly, if they are breaking of pickets. Hmmm.... spears? lances? This gives me an idea. :wink:

Hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and have enjoyed the dialog. I found the site after watching the last episode of The Last American Cowboy and trying to find information on Cal's recovery progress.

I have every episode recorded and enjoy marathoning a couple times a week. I am particularly fond of the Stucky Ranch and their traditional ways of doing things. We to still ranch using the traditional methods.

Does anyone know if another season has been filmed?

I sent a message to the Discovery Channel asking if there will be a second season. Hope to hear something in a week or so. Keep your fingers crossed. Will let everyone what I hear.

The Last American Cowboy is on the Green network (Channel 286 on Direct TV), at 8 p.m. Mountain Standard Time each Wednesday evening. I have only managed to catch one of the episodes so far.

Soapweed said:
The Last American Cowboy is on the Green network (Channel 286 on Direct TV), at 8 p.m. Mountain Standard Time each Wednesday evening. I have only managed to catch one of the episodes so far.
Soap, are these replays from the first season or new episodes?

Justin said:
Soapweed said:
Soap, are these replays from the first season or new episodes?

Not having seen many of the first season's shows, this is a question I can't answer.

It's the same series. I think the Green Channel is ran by the same one's as Animal Planet. I checked it out.....and sure enough it was the last of the series when they shipped calves this last wednesday.

BAR BAR 2 said:
Thanks Old Farm Boy. I wish all of the people who lived back east had such a common sense approach and attitude. Please don't get me wrong as far as "Whale Wars" goes. I am all for protecting endangered species and the earths resources. I just think we could take a more common sense approach to it and we sure don't need environmental terrorists causing ship wrecks at sea or driving spikes into timber. I read once that the average activist is a college educated housewife. They have a disposable income and time on their hands. ( Don't get mad ladies. That's what the article said). Anyhow, these educated people feel that its their right and perogative to dictate to the rest of us how we shoud conduct our business and live our lives. Last American Cowboys was a fairly decent show but I wish they had put more thought into some aspects. One thing that ranchers have to overcome is the stigma of corporate ranches or factory farms. Thanks to the show, now a lot of people think that 1 out of 3 cattle operations in the country gather cattle with helicopters. Some parts of the show were spot on but other parts were kind of out there. Eventhough it bugs me to no end, as ranchers we have to be ever vigilant to perception. All the animal rights people need is a little toe hold and then they are like a dog with a bone. I was watching O'Reilly a while back and he had a spot on about "Muttin' Bustin'". Bill allowed how this kids parents were "Pinheads" for allowing their child to do this. It goes back to not knowing. Even the "Culture Warrior" has some prejudice against our way of life. Always be ready to educate !

I watched a piece on RFDTV this past week that was about protective ranching association efforts to outweigh the efforts of PETA and the Humane Society in attacks against the cattlemen's industry. I was stunned at the lengths these organizations have taken to reduce and eliminate the ranch and feedlot operations. They highlighted the operation in Manhattan, Kansas and its efforts to get into direct marketing with Stew Leonard's out east. They also highlighted the efforts of the cattlemen's association in identifying the ulterior motive of the executives of these member groups and their efforts to take donor dollars and beef up their own pay and pensions. It is sickening to see how animal rights groups have twisted an essential food service - beef production, chicken production, pork production into unhealthy, inhumane activities that should not be supported by the public. How insane. Sadly it is the voice of a minority that is trying to ruin it for all. These voices need to be silenced. Thank goodness for the efforts of the associations in being vocal and proactive in battling such garbage!

Saw the season finale of the Last American Cowboy last Wednesday. Sounds like they all did pretty good at the scales. At least Tucker had a smile on his face. It was good to see Cal home after 6 months in the hospital. I wonder how his recovery is progressing. I sent a message to the network asking if there will be another season. Haven't heard back yet. Has anyone found this out yet?

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I don't know..haven't heard. But I think the Spearhead/Soapweed outfit would be a good candidate for the next series :D

maybe they should do a series @ Spearhead/gcreek/BMR ranches. i'd watch it. :D

Justin said:
I don't know..haven't heard. But I think the Spearhead/Soapweed outfit would be a good candidate for the next series :D

Ya'll tune in to the comedy channel cuase they are doing a series about the Leanin' H! :wink:

leanin' H said:
Justin said:

Ya'll tune in to the comedy channel cuase they are doing a series about the Leanin' H! :wink:

:D :lol: :lol: While choring this afternoon I was thinking Haymaker would call it "The Three Stooges Comedy Hour" :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Maybe we be on Back to Back. :D

Can't wait for the Xmas day marathon. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
leanin' H said:
Justin said:

:D :lol: :lol: While choring this afternoon I was thinking Haymaker would call it "The Three Stooges Comedy Hour" :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Maybe we be on Back to Back. :D

Can't wait for the Xmas day marathon. :wink:

Wonder how well it would go over on Animal Planet for the film crew to be following an evil stick rancher while he eliminates the odd fluffy creature? :D

The wife and I watched this earlier this year and loved it. Introduced my brother to it last night and that got me searching for the Galt ranch and a link to Ranchers.net

I'm one of those city boys you all make fun of.... actually I think i was born in the wrong state. Can't wait to get out of here but until the Mrs can retire we are stuck here.

As for the yote incident, I have seen what a yote can do to a newborn calf, but the reintroduction of wolves is a bigger issue. In the meantime I will continue to hunt predators as the opportunity arrives.

ML

Latest posts