• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

'Mad cow' proteins successfully detected in blood

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Although I appreciate your article R2, the test was performed on "HAMSTERS" !!!!!!!!!! What has that got to do with people and cattle? :roll: :wink: :shock: :roll: :wink: :???: :shock: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

reader (the Second) said:
Mike said:
Although I appreciate your article R2, the test was performed on "HAMSTERS" !!!!!!!!!! What has that got to do with people and cattle? :roll: :wink: :shock: :roll: :wink: :???: :shock: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Could you USE any more emoticons. GOSH.

I was simply making fun of a poster here a few months ago that questioned BSE research because the researchers used mice. I have been laughing since. 8) :p :!: :cry:

This is a good news/ bad news situation.

The bad news first. BSE is in the blood and the USDA's used "sound sience" to open the border that said it is not.

The good news. A blood test is coming that will allow us to clear this awful stuff up completely.

Question? Does its appearance in "Nature Medicine" mean that this is a peer reviewed paper?

ocm said:
Question? Does its appearance in "Nature Medicine" mean that this is a peer reviewed paper?

It wouldn't matter if the Pope blessed it- there will still be those that won't believe it :wink: ..... A US study- eh...Now thats studies from about 4 countries that say prions are in blood........Like you said not good- and especially since the USDA won't recognize it and strengthen the BSE firewalls...

ocm said:

The bad news first. BSE is in the blood and the USDA's used "sound sience" to open the border that said it is not.

The good news. A blood test is coming that will allow us to clear this awful stuff up completely.

In your haste to disparage the USDA you have forgotten to reveal this discovery was just made available yesterday and has not yet been tested in cattle. I might add that there is no indiation yet that this discovery has has been subjected to review from outside sources. How long do you think your postiton would hold up in a debate?

For the sake of the beef industry and mankind I am hopeful this test will prove to be a success.

PMCA uses sound waves to vastly accelerate the process that prions use to convert normal proteins to misshapen infectious forms.

This is a part of PURDEYS findings. In fact, I have questioned Purdeys theory of sonic booms in the amplification of BSE because of the lack of research on the topic. Wonder if they used the same frequencies or if octaves of the sonic boom frequency were used? It would be difficult to replicate a sonic boom in a lab.

Detecting "it" in the blood would be all right. Proving that "it" passes from the blood to brain matter would be another important adventure.

Why wouldn't it be possible for prions in blood to become misfolded due to attachment to the wrong metals in the same area? Misfolded prions may be anywhere prions exist, but proof of infection and transmission is still a long way off.

Good questions for you to study up on R2.

reader (the Second) said:
agman said:
ocm said:

In your haste to disparage the USDA you have forgotten to reveal this discovery was just made available yesterday and has not yet been tested in cattle. I might add that there is no indiation yet that this discovery has has been subjected to review from outside sources. How long do you think your postiton would hold up in a debate?

For the sake of the beef industry and mankind I am hopeful this test will prove to be a success.

Amen. Not to beat a dead horse (black humor here), but you never want to see what this disease does to a person. If we can detect it in the blood, we can prevent its spread to others through surgery, blood/tisse donations.

Scary part is, if prions ARE in blood, it is also in meat. What would that do to the cattle business when the veggies find out?

Good work Mike, the only problem with the statement

PMCA uses sound waves to vastly accelerate the process that prions use to convert normal proteins to misshapen infectious forms.

is the second last word.

Until BSE is proven to be infectious, misshapen, or misfolded is all that is required.

You're too quick for me Mike.

I'd like to respond to the SCAREY part.

The real scarey part is that no one has proven that eating meat with misfolded prions will cause anything. All speculation and fear mongering.

I don't want to take a chance any more than you do, but this fear that has been spewed throughtout the world is hurting YOUR industry Mike.

A Related article

BSE blood test gives new hope

Patients could be screened for vCJD

David Adam Science correspondent
Monday August 29, 2005
The Guardian

A blood test for the rogue proteins that cause BSE, or mad cow disease, has been developed by US scientists, raising hopes that people could soon be screened for the human form of the condition, vCJD.
The breakthrough could protect patients receiving blood transfusions and organ transplants, and help experts to predict the size of any future vCJD epidemic in Britain.

About 180 people worldwide have died from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, which is linked to eating BSE-contaminated meat. Scientists warn there could be many more deaths because the disease has an incubation period of up to 40 years.

There is no reliable way to detect BSE or vCJD in blood, with the diseases only confirmed after death.
The US team, led by Claudio Soto at the University of Texas Medical Branch, says it can find the infectious "prion" proteins behind such diseases in the blood of experimental animals. The researchers are now refining the method to find prions in people who died from vCJD, using blood samples from British victims.

Prof Soto said: "We believe in six months or so we should have the technology optimised to detect prions in human blood. The next step is to make sure we can detect them in blood before the clinical symptoms appear."

Finding a test to detect prion diseases like vCJD and BSE developing in apparently healthy animals and people has proven difficult.

A blood test would be the simplest way to screen donors and keep infected meat from entering the human food chain, but the prion concentration in blood is too small for it to be detected by existing techniques.

Prof Soto's team has taken a different approach, using a biochemical trick to amplify the quantity of prions in diseased blood millions of times, making them easier to find.

Prof Soto said: "The concentration of infectious prion protein in blood is far too small to be detected by the methods used to detect it in the brain, but we know it's still enough to spread the disease. The key to our success was developing a technique that would amplify the quantity of this protein more than 10 million-fold." Other prion researchers have found it difficult to replicate the technique.

Writing in the journal Nature Medicine, the researchers say they used the method, known as protein misfolding cyclic amplification, to screen blood from 18 prion-infected hamsters, which had developed symptoms. The scientists found prions in the blood of 16 of the 18 infected hamsters, with no prions found in 12 healthy ones.

The technique - similar to one used by forensic scientists to amplify fragments of DNA found at crime scenes - uses sound waves to vastly accelerate the process that prions use to convert normal proteins to misshapen infectious forms.

The researchers are talking to companies able to implement the test on a larger scale. Prof Soto said one of the first applications would be to screen thousands of blood samples taken from people in Britain and France, to gauge how many were infected. Scientists believe the BSE epidemic of the 1980s could have exposed millions of people in Europe to infectious prions.

"We want to know what we're facing in 10 or 20 years from now. Let us see whether we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people infected. We have to be prepared," Prof Soto said.

Discovering that an epidemic was looming would prompt drug companies to search harder for treatments, he added.

Such screening could be anonymous. Bigger ethical questions would be posed about how much blood donors should be told if they tested positive for vCJD, for which there is no cure.

In December 2003, the British government announced the first case of a patient who died from vCJD after receiving blood from an infected donor - thought to be the first person-to-person transmission of vCJD in the world. In response to that, anyone who had received a blood transfusion since January 1980 was banned from donating blood in the future.

Prof Soto said the new test could distinguish between prions that cause different diseases and so could be used to test sheep for BSE.

The real scarey part is that no one has proven that eating meat with misfolded prions will cause anything. All speculation and fear mongering.

The world don't care what you or I believe Randy. It is accepted as a fact by all governments and most of science that BSE is the carrier of vCJD.

You can argue with me til your fingers fall off, it won't change the way BSE is portrayed to the public and it won't keep the "Oprahs" of the world from sensationalizing it. Science would have to make a 180 degree turn and that would be unusual.

What does the detection in blood do to the SRM removal practice?

Who cares Mike. It's all BS anyway. Whatever keeps the public from going more overboard then they already are.

Speeking of which. Oprah may be a problem yet. As long as the underlings like R2 and yourself keep the heat up from your end. You are right about likely changing nothing, but the aggressive nature of people like R2 will certainly continue the fear.

People like Kathy are few and far between, and will always find it harder to make headway against the "chosen theory". R2 on the other hand can deal her BS daily and feed the frenzie. Humans like that. And those who stand to loose if BSE were proven as the simple individual poisoning that it is LOVE people like R2.

The researchers are talking to companies able to implement the test on a larger scale. Prof Soto said one of the first applications would be to screen thousands of blood samples taken from people in Britain and France, to gauge how many were infected. Scientists believe the BSE epidemic of the 1980s could have exposed millions of people in Europe to infectious prions.

"We want to know what we're facing in 10 or 20 years from now. Let us see whether we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people infected. We have to be prepared," Prof Soto said.

------------------------------------

This doesn't sound like BS :? What will happen if they have this test developed in 6 months and find its the worst case scenerio and its hundreds of thousands of infected people they are looking at :???:

rkaiser said:

Who cares Mike. It's all BS anyway. Whatever keeps the public from going more overboard then they already are.

Speeking of which. Oprah may be a problem yet. As long as the underlings like R2 and yourself keep the heat up from your end. You are right about likely changing nothing, but the aggressive nature of people like R2 will certainly continue the fear.

People like Kathy are few and far between, and will always find it harder to make headway against the "chosen theory". R2 on the other hand can deal her BS daily and feed the frenzie. Humans like that. And those who stand to loose if BSE were proven as the simple individual poisoning that it is LOVE people like R2.

Randy, You may have lost touch with reality if you think that R2 and myself could persuade the masses either way by posting on this board.
If you are attempting to stroke my ego, it won't work. I know better.

If you don't think you are having an influence Mike, take a look at the Oldtimer. He's in a frenzie as we speak. "Hundreds of thousands of infected people".

My goodness Oldtimer, better get this information to your Rcalf leadership immediately so they can broadcast it on Fox. That will certainly get that Canadian border closed again.

rkaiser said:
If you don't think you are having an influence Mike, take a look at the Oldtimer. He's in a frenzie as we speak. "Hundreds of thousands of infected people".

My goodness Oldtimer, better get this information to your Rcalf leadership immediately so they can broadcast it on Fox. That will certainly get that Canadian border closed again.

Thats what the scientist said...Kaiser- in my previous career you always hoped for the best, but planned for the worse. When dealing with life threatening situations, you always erred on the side of caution...

I'm having a huge time understanding this new procedure of USDA's of making decisions involving risk using dollars instead of safety as the main deciding factor :? .....

Yip thats right Oltimer. Rcalfs need to keep the border closed is to save hundreds of thousands of American citizens. :lol: :lol:

Go on now Old boy, tell Bill and Leo about your new evidence dug up by our local infectious agent Agent - R2
:roll:

R2 says
Issue is amount in the blood, your susceptibility, WHY it transmits sometimes but not other times. It's definitely a mystery. Why not whole herds? Why not whole families? Purdey's theory doesn't do any better here. If the environmental factors are present, how come a whole herd doesn't get it?

What are you asking all these question for R2? I thought you had it all figured out. You mst have posted a thousand articles proving your point by know haven't you?

What do you mean R2. I like the side of Rcalf that challenges the packers and looks out for the grassroots producer. Drop the protectionist crap and you might even have a partner for our own Canadian BIG C (of which I am a founder http://www.beef-initiative-group.com/).

I also love my animals. In fact , if I were on a deserted island with my bull, and a packer lover, I'd eat the packer lover first.

I'm not sure what the Public Citizen is, but I'll ask you to back off with the talk of me not caring about children.

My thoughts are this. If the world was to stop deflecting the cause of TSE's to infectivity and transmissability and start dealing with the environmental factors causing the metal imbalance which truely cause all TSE's - - thousands of lives, including children's lives could be saved.

Latest posts