• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

math ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

FH,
Re:
BUT, 100 nothings, is nothing.
It's been a long, long, long l--------o------------n-----------------g time since I sat in an algebra class, but here is how I remember it.

If you think of apples you will always get the correct answer.
50 apples plus 50 apples = 100 apples, apples are not "nothings".
100 apples times 0 = 100 apples (you sill have 100 apples)
100 apples plus one apple = 101 apples

But then I only ever took basic algebra! ?????????????
SL

It will definitely be nice when we get the answer and how it
is figured.

Amazing how something that appreared so simple, could
result in all these answers.

Anyway, I didn't think it was algebra but basic math.
And it's been a loooooooong time since I was in school as well.

I will give you 10 to 1 that there will never be a consensus of opinion on this, as there has never been one before on this board as far as I know!
Give it a few more days and then we need to post a poll for the correct answer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SL

Here is my random thought....
I would like to think that most humans agree that math is essential in our everyday life... Having said that, I have the following questions for you all:

When you are planning on investing in let say, two tractors, how do you quantify that it is a good investment at that time? Do you use any type of analysis like a benefit cost analysis (calculate the internal rate of return, NPV) to help you in your decision process?

Another random question, do you want your cattle to be at a particular weight by the time you sell? I believe you could use Linear Programming tools to come up with a yearly plan that can help you determine exact quantities you would need to feed you cows to get them to a particular weight (with x number of constraints) and help you reduce costs. I know that corporations use these tools for their manufacturing plans among other things, why couldn't this be applied to your operations?

I wish I could attach a project using linear programming that I did for one of my classes for you to read about it, and maybe this type of analysis could be benefitial to you.

sweetbasil

Is this to which you are referring?
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/linear-programming.html
Definition
Mathematical technique used in computer modeling (simulation) to find the best possible solution in allocating limited resources (energy, machines, materials, money, personnel, space, time, etc.) to achieve maximum profit or minimum cost. However, it is applicable only where all relationships are linear (see linear relationship), and can accommodate only a limited class of cost functions. For problems involving more complex cost functions, another technique called 'mixed integer modeling' is employed. Developed by the Russian economist Leonid Kantorovich (1912-86) and the US economist C. Koopmans (1910-86), on the basis of the work of the Russian mathematician Andrei Nikolaevich Kolmogorov (1903-87).
If so, it is nothing new! Just someone trying to re-invent the wheel.

Can you tell me what SP represents?
Can you tell me what this equation defines?
C + P = SP
C= cost
P = profit
SP = ? ?

Re:
When you are planning on investing in let say, two tractors, how do you quantify that it is a good investment at that time?
By the amount of tax write off it will produce.

Re:
do you want your cattle to be at a particular weight by the time you sell?
No!
SL

Sir Loin said:
sweetbasil

Is this to which you are referring? Yes, this definition clearly defines the fundamentals of LP.
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/linear-programming.html

If so, it is nothing new! Just someone trying to re-invent the wheel.

Your are absolutely right, LP is nothing new; the only thing is that you can do much more things using these types of tools because there are programs that can do it for you (e.g., one can do relatively a lot of LP using excel without having to invest in specialized programs).

Can you tell me what this equation defines?
C + P = SP
C= cost
P = profit
SP = ? ?

This is how I see the above equation (feel free to correct me; I don't mind constructive criticism since it only helps me become a better person).

Are you referring to the following equation when calculating profit?
CP (cost price) + Profit = Selling Price (SP)
Profit = Selling Price - Cost Price

If one wants to calcualte the percentage of profit increase, it would be something like:

Profit % = (SP -CP)*100/CP

Maybe I am wrong interpreting your equation.
:oops:

Well that was futile , he gave me 1 ,51 and 100 as his final answer ..

If you use bedmas then it is 51 ,if you go by left to right it is 1 ,if you do 50+50 then separately 1+0, X them together you get 100 .. :???:

:twisted:

My expert gave me 51.
And I invited him over here to explain himself for saying I was wrong with 101.
SL

PS: About that 10 to 1consensus of opinion, make that a 100 to 1 . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re:
Your are absolutely right, LP is nothing new; the only thing is that you can do much more things using these types of tools because there are programs that can do it for you (e.g., one can do relatively a lot of LP using excel without having to invest in specialized programs).
True!

Re:
Maybe I am wrong interpreting your equation.
No, you are correct.

Re:
Your answer ( sale price )was correct. Now I know you fully understand the equation, but you didn't answer this one.

"Can you tell me what this equation ( C + P = SP ) defines?"
This should have been the first thing you should have learned before entering into understanding LP.
SL

Well I see where this is going!
Logic vs. the new math!

I now put the odds of reaching a consensus of opinion at 1,000 to one.
My answer is still 101 based on logic.

SL

For the right answer see: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=799059
(DH )
SL

VB RANCH said:
50 + 50 x 0 + 1=?
run that thru the calculator that you balance your check book with

Try typing the equation into a cell in Microsoft Excel (type =50+50*0+1) or type the equation just as VB has it above into google or yahoo search.

The answer will be 51. The problem with using a basic hand calculator is that it does not take into consideration the whole expression only two parts at a time. I remember my favorite math teacher use to say in regards to calculators that if you put garbage in, you will get garbage out.

Latest posts