• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

math ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Why don't you try logic instead of the new math BS and you will get 101.

Stop your shopping cart in front of the apples.
Put in 50 AND/plus 50 more and you will have 100 apples in your cart.
Now times it by 0 (nothing ) and you still have 100 apples in your cart.
Now add one more and you have 101 apples in your cart.

Now roll up to the casher and you will pay for 101 apples.

This is known as critical thinking, which is not taught in public school these days.
SL

We're not buying apples here, anything multiplied by 0 comes out to 0. Grouping the multipliers first is not new either. Using what you call critical thinking would come out to 51. If you don't group but still use all the common math rules then you would come out to 1. Given no other information than what is provided, those are the only 2 answers that are plausible.

Sir Loin said:
Why don't you try logic instead of the new math BS and you will get 101.

Stop your shopping cart in front of the apples.
Put in 50 AND/plus 50 more and you will have 100 apples in your cart.
Now times it by 0 (nothing ) and you still have 100 apples in your cart.
Now add one more and you have 101 apples in your cart.

Now roll up to the casher and you will pay for 101 apples.

This is known as critical thinking, which is not taught in public school these days.
SL

Didn't your teacher ever tell you that if you go to the store and pick up 50 groups of zero apples you will have zero apples in your cart? Nothing new about that.
Math has had these old rules for a few centuries just to avoid confusions like this. Whether or not you find it logical is really immaterial, it's just the way it is.
I will refer you back to E=MC2 (don't know how to make the little squared symbol). Did Einstein write this incorrectly?

Back when I went to school, you had to think thins through from the start to finish. today we use a computer program or a chart.

I don't think the problem was put in a proper equation.
put it this way:

50+50X0+1=1
50+50X0+1=51
50+50X0+1=101

Now find the value of each step of the way.
Then put it in the right equation each time.

As for ranch management. Yes we have a goal of weight at weaning or at selling time. There are models to help you get there, but there are also variables. We set our expectations on our experience. If we are good business men we have to plan around that, and use what we have.

I always enjoyed working out feed rations with the computer, but for my weaning and backgrounding of calves and my brood cow rations. It was a good guide, and a way to check how well you were doing. As far as the cow rations went, I found that if you are a good herdsman. the old cow will just about tell you she needs as well as a feed chart. I had a fellow working for me that watched what the cows were eating, if it was cold, he fed an extra bale if they left a little to much , he cut back. about 3 weeks before calving time a cow has less capacity for hay, intake drops off, feed better feed then.

As far as tractors and equipment, we do have to try to estimate the hours we will use them and the number of years we will keep them and their value after that. It is hard to determine what return they will make on your investment.

Back in 1999, I bought a second hand 2550 NH swather, I figured if I used it 10 years, I would have to do a few hundred acres of custom work to make it pay out. I did do custom work the first year, but with time spent doing that it didn't pay out. Well I still have the old swather, but I don't think it ever paid for itself.

Does that answer your question Sweet Basil.

1 swather + 0 swather=1 swather too many. :wink:

Of all the machinery we have, I think the swather costs the
most to own. In our area we only use it about 30 days out
of the year. The rest of the time it sets. I hate to buy swathers,
yet we have to have one...........

Clarencen said:
Back when I went to school, you had to think thins through from the start to finish. today we use a computer program or a chart.

put it this way:

50+50X0+1=1
50+50X0+1=51
50+50X0+1=101 this equals 100 not 101 .

As for ranch management. Yes we have a goal of weight at weaning or at selling time. There are models to help you get there, but there are also variables. We set our expectations on our experience. If we are good business men we have to plan around that, and use what we have.

I always enjoyed working out feed rations with the computer, but for my weaning and backgrounding of calves and my brood cow rations. It was a good guide, and a way to check how well you were doing. As far as the cow rations went, I found that if you are a good herdsman. the old cow will just about tell you she needs as well as a feed chart. I had a fellow working for me that watched what the cows were eating, if it was cold, he fed an extra bale if they left a little to much , he cut back. about 3 weeks before calving time a cow has less capacity for hay, intake drops off, feed better feed then.

As far as tractors and equipment, we do have to try to estimate the hours we will use them and the number of years we will keep them and their value after that. It is hard to determine what return they will make on your investment.

Back in 1999, I bought a second hand 2550 NH swather, I figured if I used it 10 years, I would have to do a few hundred acres of custom work to make it pay out. I did do custom work the first year, but with time spent doing that it didn't pay out. Well I still have the old swather, but I don't think it ever paid for itself.

hillsdown said:
Clarencen said:

put it this way:

50+50X0+1=1
50+50X0+1=51

I don't follow that 50+50x0+1=100, not 101.
Please explain. :D

I think I'm getting more mixed up the longer this thread
goes along. And here all this time I thought my math teachers
were telling me true. :???: :? :D

Faster horses said:
hillsdown said:
Clarencen said:

put it this way:

50+50X0+1=1
50+50X0+1=51

I don't follow that 50+50x0+1=100, not 101.
Please explain. :D

I think I'm getting more mixed up the longer this thread
goes along. And here all this time I thought my math teachers
were telling me true. :???: :? :D

It is like this 50+50 = 100
0+1 = 1
100X1 = 100

How do you come up with 101 as I cannot figure it out that way .

To get 1 you do it like this 50+50 =100
100X0 = 0
0+1 = 1

To get 51 you do it like this 50x0 =0
50+0+1=51

Well, The real problem was not math, It was just some numbers thrown together haphazardly.

It is so much Like our economy. Like Keynesism. Keynes had a point in his time, but there are flaws in his theory. Sometimes you do need to prime the pump sometime there may be a need to put money in the hands of those who want to buy but it is not sound economics for alltime. if you follow it all the way through.

Money has no real value it is the 0, it is just paper that the government has printed on. You can't add zeros to anything or multipy zeros There has to be some basis. Money is just the common means of exchange.

The only problem is, 51 is not the correct answer!
101 is the correct answer.
The only true wrong answer is other than 1, 51, and 101.
This mathematical problem is from an actual employment test and is for the purpose of determining your critical thinking skills, among others things.
And there are many more like it out there.
For a critical thinker this is very basic math problem that can be done in your head without even thinking about it.

After you have completed the test and the interviewer has the results you may be quizzed on this very question to gage your reaction when you are told you got it wrong.
It is not your math skills they are measuring, its your reaction to being told you are wrong and how much protest you put up after you have been told you were wrong. Your body language may give your reaction away even if you do not protest vocally.

They also use many Johara window questions to further evaluate your psychological demographics.
Hope this help on your next employment test and interview.
SL

HD,
Re:
50 + 50 x 0 + 1=?
A critical thinker sees:
50 plus 50 = 100
The "x0" means do "nothing". The times sign could be a plus, minus or divide sign and it still means nothing. A zero means "nothing" to a critical thinker.
Fact is: the "times zero" shouldn't even be there as it has no value and makes no sense even being there.

The ( x0 ) is like you have 100 apples in your shopping cart and you "think" you may need more but decide you don't. And you then "think" again and add just one more.

And as you have 100 already you simple add ( + ) 1 to get 101.

To a critical thinker, zero means nothing and you can't talk about "nothing" and make any sense.
If I ask you to talk to me about "nothing" what would you say?
If you talk about "nothing" you say "nothing" and the conversation is over!
Get it?

SL

HD,
Read this, it may help you better understand.
IMO critical thinking should be taught in our public school and in our institutes of higher learning.
Defining Critical Thinking

http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766

Fact: If you are a critical thinker, man made global warming is a BFJ. B= big J = joke.
SL

I don't think I need to understand as math it is not meant to be subjective . There are rules that need to be followed ,probably why I got honors in it all the time . :wave:

My corporate books balance every year without "critical thinking" and making things up . 8)

HD,
Re:
math it is not meant to be subjective .
True, but they made it subjective by putting in the ( x0 ), which has no relevance.

Re:
There are rules that need to be followed ,
True and by ignoring the (x0) you are following the rules as it has no relevancy.
SL

Latest posts