• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My Hancock ride---

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
I was very interested to read the comments a few weeks ago about Hancock breed horses. About 20 years ago, I thought I couldn't live without a "Cow Eating Hancock Horse." I bought a 5 year old green broke gelding. He was afraid of cows, which he got over after a couple of years. But it took longer to get use to dark rocks, stumps and zipper noises. As paranoid as he was, he turned out to be the best horse I ever owned. He never offered to buck and I can whistle him up to me out of the pasture. He is registered as Blue Riata. Some pictures of him and his cousin Cactus, in some of the Utah country we have ridden in, and a few scenery shots just for fun.

2005-10-09070Copyjpg-1.jpg

2006-04-23003-1.jpg

2006-04-01032.jpg

SheepCrLakeCnynk28Sept04019copy-1.jpg

No place to "tie up" except horn to horn.
2006-04-01072.jpg

2006-04-23046.jpg

2006-04-23038-1.jpg

RoadTripLavabede_OvilleBoulderSevenMile28Sept2011100-1.jpg

2006-05-21186-1.jpg

When he got older, he settled down to where the grand daughter could ride him in the pasture.
RedCanyon_ColeMineCanyon28May05103.jpg

Absolutely stunning shots. Thank you for posting them. I've been through Utah a couple of times and your pictures reminded me of the breath-taking scenery.

Great pictures and story. I REALLY need to come out to that country sometime!!

LazyWP said:
Great pictures and story. I REALLY need to come out to that country sometime!!

"Come On Down",,,,,, I'm about the least busy guy I know,, so I'd be happy to guide you out past H's place to check on those mustangs. I need an excuse any way.

If you really want to do it wright,, we could go down to the Red Rock country and see some really colorful country. That offer would apply to anyone on Ranchers who might want a "cheap" guide.

Soapweed said:
Very beautiful photographs of your area. Thank you for the display. It would be mighty fun to see that part of the country.

I know some "out of the way" country I'd be glad to show you....

Soapweed said:
mustang said:
Soapweed said:
Very beautiful photographs of your area. Thank you for the display. It would be mighty fun to see that part of the country.

Thank you kindly for the offer. Do I bring one of my mules, or use yours? :)

I gave my horse away about three years ago,,, I was thinking of a pickup tour. However if your serious,,,, I know the guy who owned some mules and I think I could work something out. Just say when you will be here. You'll have to decide if your mule will fit in your suitcase. :?

mustang said:
Soapweed said:
mustang said:

I gave my horse away about three years ago,,, I was thinking of a pickup tour. However if your serious,,,, I know the guy who owned some mules and I think I could work something out. Just say when you will be here. You'll have to decide if your mule will fit in your suitcase. :?

The pickup tour would undoubtedly be more appropriate for an old geezer like me anyway. :wink: The Kosmo Kid probably won't give me any time off, but I'll give you plenty of warning should the opportunity arise. Even though chances are slim, I do thank you kindly for your fine offer of hospitality.

Great looking horse and rig, Mustang!

What area are you in?

I've worked and toured around from town of green river to four corners area.

And adjoining area--mostly delores river part--of sw colorado.

Lotsa neat country. Paradox is only place in my travels i've ever seen a church painted barn red.

Soapweed said:
mustang said:
Soapweed said:

The pickup tour would undoubtedly be more appropriate for an old geezer like me anyway. :wink: The Kosmo Kid probably won't give me any time off, but I'll give you plenty of warning should the opportunity arise. Even though chances are slim, I do thank you kindly for your fine offer of hospitality.

Soap, I gotta 26 foot trailer, that I am pretty sure I can get 8 horses in comfortably. Our 2, your 2, I am pretty sure that Kosmo can't get away with you gone, and then we would still have room for 4 more. Just think, another "Ranchers" tour.

LazyWP said:
Soapweed said:
mustang said:

Soap, I gotta 26 foot trailer, that I am pretty sure I can get 8 horses in comfortably. Our 2, your 2, I am pretty sure that Kosmo can't get away with you gone, and then we would still have room for 4 more. Just think, another "Ranchers" tour.

Me too??
Many years ago, we spent a week on Lake Powell. It was a fantastic vacation. Your beautiful pictures of that red rocky country reminds me of some of the scenery we drove through to get to the lake. Do you live down that area of the state, Mustang?

littlejoe said:
Great looking horse and rig, Mustang!

What area are you in?

I've worked and toured around from town of green river to four corners area.

And adjoining area--mostly delores river part--of sw colorado.

Lotsa neat country. Paradox is only place in my travels i've ever seen a church painted barn red.

I live just outside of Salt Lake,,, I guess you would say I lived IN Salt Lake, but I don't like to admit I live in the City. I gave my horse to a friend that lives in Green River. When I was working I traveled to Moab, Monticello and Blanding on business. I really like that red rock country. Three of my sons go Jeeping at Moab a couple of times each year. Great country. Some of those pictures were on the other side of the La Sal mountain from Paradox.

JF Ranch said:
LazyWP said:
Soapweed said:

Me too??
Many years ago, we spent a week on Lake Powell. It was a fantastic vacation. Your beautiful pictures of that red rocky country reminds me of some of the scenery we drove through to get to the lake. Do you live down that area of the state, Mustang?

My wife is from just outside of Kanab UT and we have a place down there, but I live in the north end of the state. I have ridden a lot in tahat country chasing cows with my nephew and brother in law. I've been blessed enough to get around the state a lot. A friend of mine had a ranch In Boulder UT and they kept my horse for 4 years, just so I would come down and help chase cows with them. It was a 3 day drive from Boulder down to Colt Mesa where they were wintered. There is some great riding country in Circle Cliffs,, just south of Boulder, along the Esclante River.

VB RANCH said:
is that a petrafied stump
nice pictures , agin

"Very Perceptive,,, I was thinking later, that I should have pointed that out.
This picture was taken in Circle Cliffs, south of Boulder UT about twenty miles at what they call the Petrafied Forest. A lot of it there. Some trees are fifty to sixty feet long and 3 feet in diameter. The BLM has it fenced off and get real nervous is you were to try and pack any of away.

I'm surprised you picked up on that. Have you had some experience with petrafied wood, or do have it in your part of the world ?

It looks like its about 720 miles from my house to Salt Lake. By the time we stop to load a couple places, it will be 12 hour trip. May have to try it yet.

Latest posts