• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

prarie dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Southdakotahunter said:
HA.....thats good.

I didnt know i was talking to a LADY....act like a man, be treated like one.

Then start acting like a MAN!!!

You freakin ranchers are just a piece of pie aren't ya????? Here you have a forum member that wants to take his son out and shoot a few Pdogs, and all you people give a sh!t about is $$$$?????????????????????? WOW!!!!!!!

How much more pure of a hunt do you need? A father wanting to take his son out??? I dought that there is going to be extreme beer drinking and cows getting shot out of this ordeal! I hope to GOD none of you ever b!tch about a P dog again! When you turn down something like that!!!!

P Joe.............just back up and take a breath.

One I do not live in SD so there is no way I could let someone hunt there. Most people on here do not live in SD.
Two if a man and a son drives in my drive and is pleasant.....sure no problem. A guy who I do not know on a message board.........probably not. For all I know the message poster could be some tony dean follower looking for a fight
Or one of the most likely answer is that some self rightous do good hunters came on a message board and gave all hunters a bad name

P Joe said:
You freakin ranchers are just a piece of pie aren't ya????? Here you have a forum member that wants to take his son out and shoot a few Pdogs, and all you people give a sh!t about is $$$$?????????????????????? WOW!!!!!!!

How much more pure of a hunt do you need? A father wanting to take his son out??? I dought that there is going to be extreme beer drinking and cows getting shot out of this ordeal! I hope to GOD none of you ever b!tch about a P dog again! When you turn down something like that!!!!

Hey P Joe it never said a dad wanted to take his boy hunting . He ask if any one would let his boy and friends hunt. You get a bunch of boys together and you could have trouble especialy from MN. as i know how they hunt over there.

you could send them here cept there was only one gopher left in my pastures last fall...and he was mighty gunshy-lol

I'm still kinda new here so I gotta ask-
is it a regular thing for these threads to turn into scraps all the time?
Don't get me wrong,I always enjoyed a good scrap...but ain't it kinda pointless on a little tv hooked up to other little tv's....

just wonderin...

codymccue said:
you could send them here cept there was only one gopher left in my pastures last fall...and he was mighty gunshy-lol

Don't get me wrong,I always enjoyed a good scrap...but ain't it kinda pointless on a little tv hooked up to other little tv's....

just wonderin...
LOL...Scraps happen here often BUT if one puts SD AND HUNTING together....its a full blown out and out WAR :roll: :roll: :roll:

At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire, I'm going to post this article from Rapid City Journal Outdoors. Tony Dean will do anything to get his name on the internet so I'm going to oblige him and post his idiotic comment at the end of this article. I'm sure every rancher who reads this will react the same way I did when I read Dean's drivel.

If you'd like to read it online or if you want to reply, here's the link: http://rapidcityjournal.com/blogs/outdoors/?p=309#comments

Quick, before they disappear forever!
March 20th, 2008
By Kevin Woster

That's kind of what the WildEarth Guardians are saying in their federal lawsuit to force a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service response to its petition to list the black-tailed prairie dog under the Endangered Species Act.

We've been here before, not so very long ago. Environmental groups petitioned for prairie-dog listing in the late 1990s, as I recall, when Bill Clinton was president and the black tail was actually considered a species that warranted listing by the F&WS.

But the agency never got around to it, partly because of other listing priorities. And the effort faded as South Dakota and other states came up with management plans to conserve the cute-but-aggravating prairie pups.
It didn't hurt the anti-listing cause to have George Bush in the White House, either.

Now the fight returns, with WildEarth Guardians asserting that the dogs face new threats including poisoning and shooting, as well as disease.

Of course, it's difficult for anybody living in western South Dakota to seriously consider the black-tailed prairie dog threatend or endangered. And in many areas, they're thick as fleas.

But there was substantial evidence for listing the last time around. I wonder if anything has changed?
Responses to "Quick, before they disappear forever!"

1. w.a.klima Says:
March 21st, 2008 at 8:06 am

35 years ago , when I moved to western SD most every ranch & farm had a little town or 2 or 3 that were tolerated-used for some plinking etc. Now there are less than 10 towns across the county, and those are kept for commercial shoots. Peta & and their little tree hugging friends made such a stir about "endangered" that they killed far more dogs & ferret habitat tnan I could have shot in a 100 years. If they would let the rancher manage with out interfering-they would still have many towns with the owner doing the management-when the gov takes over you end up with mess you have in the badlands.

2. Tony Dean Says:
March 21st, 2008 at 9:03 am

If you want to whip up a frenzy, suggest PD's need protection or that public land grazing rates should be raised.

I don't know if PD's should be listed as endangered, but neither should they be considered pests that should be destroyed. They do play a key role in a prairie ecosystem.

However, they do no more damage to a prairie landscape than can cows. After all, domestic cattle have done more to eradicate native grasses, ruin trout streams, and generally make a mess of our western public lands than anything else.

How about a sensible approach to prairie dog management?

I think that's the type of management GFP has been proposing all along. And control means something far diffrent than eradication.

If PD's were so bad and much more numerous in the past than they are today, there wouldn't have been any grass left, period.

Anyway, this should be enough to get some dialogue started on this issue.

Would the gentleman who stated that ranchers get paid just for being ranchers please share the source of that information?

I've been involved in ranching for all my 67 years and have NEVER heard of anyone being paid simply for being a rancher.

Where do I sign up for that free money????

BTW, paid hunting seems to be hateful in the eyes of some 'sportsmen'.....yet it is wonderful that restaurants, hotels, bars, etc. all make money off hunting......while the guys who pay daily the various and considerable costs of raising the game are jerks if we ask for reimbusement????

What other form of recreation do you get for free?

mrj

You have to realize Tony is a farmer's son, who was taught about the importance of wildlife and habitat.

Although his farm was sold to a housing developement ( asphalt, cement, golf courses, city parks etc.).

It is also interesting when it was sold it was sold without easements.

Mrs.Greg said:
codymccue said:

just wonderin...
LOL...Scraps happen here often BUT if one puts SD AND HUNTING together....its a full blown out and out WAR :roll: :roll: :roll:

don't spose any one cares explain the why of that one for me?

Liberty Belle said:
Quick, before they disappear forever!
March 20th, 2008
By Kevin Woster

Responses to "Quick, before they disappear forever!"

1. w.a.klima Says:
March 21st, 2008 at 8:06 am

35 years ago , when I moved to western SD most every ranch & farm had a little town or 2 or 3 that were tolerated-used for some plinking etc. Now there are less than 10 towns across the county, and those are kept for commercial shoots. Peta & and their little tree hugging friends made such a stir about "endangered" that they killed far more dogs & ferret habitat tnan I could have shot in a 100 years. If they would let the rancher manage with out interfering-they would still have many towns with the owner doing the management-when the gov takes over you end up with mess you have in the badlands.

I do think that about sums it up.

I see wear a minnesota hunter was hunting turkey with his boy and heard a noise in the bush so he shot and it was his boy that was making the noise. The boy was killed

johndeereman said:
I see wear a minnesota hunter was hunting turkey with his boy and heard a noise in the bush so he shot and it was his boy that was making the noise. The boy was killed

You can take a pill for blood pressure.....you can diet if your over weight, but you can't fix stupid!!!! :mad: :shock: :? :(

Southdakotahunter, you STILL fail to post any validation of your claims of "getting check or payment just for ranching" with at the least an implication it was a government payment.

Some of us are very curious about that. Either we have been missing out.........or we are adamantly opposed to it and want it stopped!

BTW, didn't the 'name' Liberty BELLE give you a clue????

mrj

Farming and ranching are two different deals.
Every person that goes after the farmers because of the substies should look at the guy living in town collecting money for a CRP contract and has never once worked the land. They are the ones giving farmers a bad name along with the rich guys who buy farms and use them as a "loss" to get out of paying more in taxes.
The cost of land is driving us all out of expanding.
Had a guy come in out area and buy up some land for $1000 an acre. Now he has his own private hunting preserve. That is happening too much now. Most recent guy burned up close to 3000 acres because he set his toilet paper on fire. I call him the Toilet Paper Arsonist.

Now this hunting issue. There are still a large number of private landowners who still allow hunting with no charge. Alot of the guys who do it have lost animals and had a lot damage done. It is now called a tresspass fee.
Come shoot our prairie dogs they need to be thinned out.

i do know there are those that abuse the system.

I am just answering a question that was posted to me. I answered it and have not recieved response back.

Both hunters and ranchers/farm owners are driving the land values up. I would have to say tho, there are more ranchers/farmers buying land than the hunters. They are paying the prices that are asked for the land, and i dont see anyone selling complaining they are getting too much for the land.

Southdakotahunter said:
i do know there are those that abuse the system.

I am just answering a question that was posted to me. I answered it and have not recieved response back.

Both hunters and ranchers/farm owners are driving the land values up. I would have to say tho, there are more ranchers/farmers buying land than the hunters. They are paying the prices that are asked for the land, and i dont see anyone selling complaining they are getting too much for the land.

There are far more developers buying the land than farmers and or ranchers.

Southdakotahunter said:
http://farm.ewg.org/farm/top_recips.php?fips=46000&progcode=total

Maybe this is what i am talking about?

I dont think there are any electrical contractors on the list is there?

The sad thing is, if a lot of the people on this list didn't receive these subsidies for loss of crops/livestock from the government they would go out of business! Farmers and Ranchers are who assure you have food on your plate whenever your hungry so they are just a tad bit important and THANK GOD the Government realizes that and helps out the ones that can't make a living in the unstable agricultural world. Yes there are those that abuse the system and recieve the subsidies when they don't need them, but how do you regulate....its tricky. I think it does a hell of a lot more good than harm! For years the agricultural business was a downhill slide, but in the last few years it has picked up some but still don't compare with other markets as far as inflation.

Latest posts