• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

prarie dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

NM cowboy, I didn't say anything about easy street, what we need to discuss is the fact that most land holdings aren't being sold to farmers or ranchers, they are being bought up by the high dollar out of state hunter and recreational types.

How many can walk into a bank in 2008 and get them to invest into a farming/ranching operation worth little capitol and say I need 3+ million because I want to raise cows or corn? Not going to happen, land prices have went up big time in the corn belt because of high grain prices, many have that land better than 50% paid off or more and the land is where there nest egg is. Same with ranching no one could make a serious living with all start up cost in this day and age, many take over the family ranch those that don't have offspring will to work hard and gamble some just sell out and retire.

The land holdings are being bought up by millionaires out of state rs who have the backing to buy this ground for personnel pleasure and need to work or reap little from it to make it work. These are the very people who let little to no one on to hunt, take Ted Turner for example he offers very high dollar hunts to his high dollar friends and he owns more ground than anyone in the entire US!

This is not the America I want to see in the future and the sport of hunting will suffer, with high grain prices corn 7.50+ a bushel, beans 15.00+ a bushel,wheat gaining more ground to 9.00-14.00 farmers today can make a good living, I have relatives that farm and they will tell you these prices they can make a good living and also the back end pays as the net worth of the ground and machinery rise as do commodity prices.

Ranching cattle can be a gamble for sure, higher grain means softer cattle prices, the good thing is lower input cost on cattle raising than farming. The feed lots will have a tough time with grain prices and that will be reflective on the cow/calf producer, the smart ones can still make a go of it and do OK.

Profit hunting is one aspect, but I know many that have found other sources to offset trying times and ride the wave. I want to see many Americans have the opportunity to hunt and our young people are the future of this country in more ways than most think, hunting and other outdoor pursuits build character, hard to do that when daddy whips out the check book or the 100.00 bills to buy there way the opportunity to hunt, hard work and helping out people who own the land is far more rewarding, hunting to many is more than a buck it is a way of life to raise kids by and to show respect,build character, proper decision making and wildlife management and consumption of that wildlife.

You don;t learn much about wildlife if everything is setup on a silver platter waiting for your arrival, again not all pay hunts are this way, but more and more of this takes place.

Hunters/trappers have been the backbone of our country for many years and these people weren't those with deep pockets they didn't hunt for the trophy but for survival and the need to connect with nature. For many with money it becomes a convenience issue the quicker the better to many of them time is money and can't enjoy the experiance this happens more than most think.

Happy go check with your farming family about the price of the inputs to put a crop in the ground this year :shock: There are a lot of people in my neck of the woods that are just hoping to survive the year!!! You better have some good luck to reap the benifit of the high prices.

The inputs has risen becuase crop prices have risen that simple, many don't have the cash on hand to outright purchase imput cost, fuel,seed,fertilizer so they go to the bank, the bank isn't dumb they look at the projections made and then decide on other capitol or lack of it to extend credit, nothing has changed in that reguard.

Take 7.50 corn x's 180 bushel to the acre= 1350.00 per acre revenue, if your farming 900 acres that is 1,215,000 dollars. If in put cost are 400.00 per acre, you tell me with figures are you at 400 per acre input? That leaves 950.00 left over for other out laying exspense and profit meaning 855,000 to cover additional expsenses and profit. If you use up 92% of total gain that leaves 8% left as profit meaning on 900 acres 97,200 left over.

Unless your flooded out,droughted out or hailed out no corn farmer if prices remain at 7.50+ a bushel can say they are not making money not factual at all. I know wheat imput runs at 7.60 a bushel all things considered even with higher input cost, wheat over 10.00 leaves a profit wheat at 12.00 makes a good profit or we wouldn't have 20,000+ acre wheat operations and millions in input cost to begin with. 50 bushel wheat at 12.00 a bushel on 20,000 acres revenue generated= 12 million dollars.

Grain prices are at all time highs and with that will be higher input cost but the prices still leave a profit for a good crop.

Take 7.50 corn x's 180 bushel to the acre= 1350.00 per acre revenue, if your farming 900 acres that is 1,215,000 dollars. If in put cost are 400.00 per acre, you tell me with figures are you at 400 per acre input? That leaves 950.00 left over for other out laying exspense and profit meaning 855,000 to cover additional expsenses and profit. If you use up 92% of total gain that leaves 8% left as profit meaning on 900 acres 97,200 left over.

I can tell you haven't a clue

I would love for you to tell me how you are gonna raise corn for 400 bucks. You made the claim now back it up.

ONe little hint, land costs will be more than 400. Geez the things you come up with

Please hurry and tell me how you are gonna get by on 400. I can't wait to see the 400 break down.

I know you must be out buying land and can't answer.

Larrry said:

I can tell you haven't a clue

Who is averaging 180 bushel/acre???? I need to plant some of that seed!!

And $400/acre for input, ????
$200 for cash rent in some places
$150 for a cheap bag of corn seed
$50 left for fuel, machinery, fertilzer, chemical and time????????????? :???:

P joe many places in Iowa you can avergae 180 bushels on corn and I know some that approach 200, grows thick as trees! The soil is top quailty and using anhydrous makes Iowa the tall corn state! Illinois also will average well too.

I'm not talking cash rent or tax purpose land, I'm talking that land already in your possesion. I hadn't relized seed corn has risen that much and adding in additional fuel ok lets go 500.00 an acre here is a report from UNL:

The analysis showed the cash and labor cost per acre of irrigated corn was $309.97. This included applying nine acre-inches of irrigation water at $7.19 per inch. This compares to $105.32 per acre for soybean cash and labor costs when six acre-inches of water were applied. The cost per acre for soybeans includes a credit of $13.17 for the 45 pounds of nitrogen fixed by the growing soybeans. The returns using the 171-bushel-per-acre yield, the $3.81 per bushel price, and per acre cost of $309.97 resulted in a return to corn of $341.54 per acre. This compares to $351.28 for the 60 bushels per acre, $7.61 per bushel, $105.32 cash and labor cost of soybeans.

Growing soybeans has a $9.74 advantage over growing corn; however, if corn yield increased more than 2.8 bushels per acre, or if soybean yields decreased more than 1.3 bushels per acre, the returns to corn and soybeans would be equal, given the stated prices and costs. Corn price would need to increase approximately 6 cents or soybean price decrease approximately 17 cents to have equal returns.

The results of this analysis, as well as a table of varying prices and yields of the two crops, is at the bottom of the worksheet. Both prices and yields vary from our stated base in increments of 10%, providing a sensitivity analysis. When yields of both corn and soybeans decrease by an equal percentage, the advantage of growing soybeans compared to corn increases. When yields of both crops increase by the same percentage, the advantage of growing soybeans first decreases and eventually disappears. At a 10% yield increase for both crops, returns to corn are more than $4greater than for soybeans.

Here is another:http://www.extension.iastate.edu/CropNews/2008/0503RogerElmoreLoriAbendroth.htm

The body or Table 3 shows breakeven corn prices for different soybean prices, given the variety of yields shown in Table 2. Current price forecasts suggest that soybean prices will be near $6.00 per bu. for the 2007 crop year. Hence, the column giving breakeven corn prices for the $6.00 soybean price likely is the most relevant. The other columns are shown in case expected soybean prices change.

At a $6.00 soybean price and a 50 bu. yield, breakeven prices range from $3.07 for a corn yield of 135 bu. down to $2.52 for a 165 bu. yield. About half the farms can reasonably expect to have corn yields above 150, given a 50 bu. soybean yield. These farms will have breakeven corn prices below $2.77. Current corn price projections are in the $2.70 to $2.80 range for the 2007 crop. Hence, about half the farms with 50 bu. expected soybean yield can expect corn to be more profitable than soybeans.

As shown in Table 3, similar results exist for all soybean yields above 45 bu.: 1) the range in breakeven corn prices are from slightly above $3.00 down to $2.50 for the $6.00 soybean price and 2) about half the farms can expect corn production to be more profitable than soybeans given the current 2007 price forecast. These expected yields cover much of the production in the Midwest and are particularly relevant to northern and central Illinois.

Table 3 also shows break-even prices for expected yields of 40 bu. per acre. Breakeven prices range from $3.38 for a 105 bu. expected corn yield down to $2.63. Generally, breakeven corn prices are higher for the 40 bu. soybean yield than for higher expected soybean yields.

Caveats

Breakeven corn prices also will vary as the cost changes. Each $5 increase in the cost difference causes the breakeven prices in Table 3 to increase by $.02 to $.03 per bu.

Breakeven corn prices in Table 3 are based on an expected corn yield that should – in most cases – reflect corn-after-corn production. Agronomic research indicates that corn-after-corn yields are 10% below that of corn-after-soybean production. Many farmers do not believe that corn-after-corn has a yield drag. Consideration should be given to yields used in calculating breakeven corn prices. Lower expected corn yields will increase breakeven corn prices.

Sorry I will not accept your data. It is flawed and you admitted it so no further discussion is needed. Real cute that you leave pieces to the puzzle out. There a so many gaps in this, too numerous to mention.
I'm not talking cash rent or tax purpose land, I'm talking that land already in your possesion
One quote I found humorous

Larry I find it funny your in utah and you are the "chosen one" on corn LOL. My study is from the UNL I have a feeling they knwo a little bit about corn and yields, more so than a guy trying to grow it in utah. The data is posted as they found out, if you need more of the same from others let me know!

Latest posts