• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

preg check trainwreck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Replace the bull and move on. Some bulls not effective breeders just that simple. MO there are more out there than we think.

What about lepto HB? That one likes to sneak up on you and bite you in the backside. It sounds fairly similar to our experiences with it. Cows seem to be bred, with no activity and then they start to cycle again weeks or even months later. Blood and urine test, it may or may not show antibodies. They are pretty short lived in the blood. Even if you are giving a vaccine with a lepto component you need to make sure that it has the Hardjo-Bovis strain in it. That is the one that has caused us lots of headaches.

Agree with rancherfred on the Hardjo-bovis. Also, if you moved your cows through pens to clean weeds up, Pig weed is high in nitrates which causes abortion. I learned that one from actual experience :cry:

Vaccination does not equal immunity. Either way I would be purchasing a bull from a different breed next time to get some heterosis going on, regardless of what is at fault this time. Crossbred cows are more fertile and more disease resistant.period.

Mill Iron A said:
Vaccination does not equal immunity. Either way I would be purchasing a bull from a different breed next time to get some heterosis going on, regardless of what is at fault this time. Crossbred cows are more fertile and more disease resistant.period.

I don't agree. They might be a touch more fertile, but your comment that crossbred cows are more disease resistant is nonsense.

Sorry my previous post contained incorrect information. In 2011 and 2012 the cow got express fp3 vl5. In 2013 they got preg guard gold fp 10. This spring they got vira sheild 6 vl5. All of these cover a stain of hardjo but non cover hardjo HB. So hardjo bovis could be it. Wendesday I will get the trich test back, will dna test for dd after that. Lots of things a guy could test for, alot of which you need an aborted fetus to test. I know I will likely not end up with a definite answer to the cause, but I am going to see where some of the tests take me. The plan has been for a year to go to a hereford bull starting in 2015.

redrobin said:
Mike said:
All 7 of the cows ultra sounded open but showed signs of being bred at one time.

Explain?
and this?

"The vet saw no signs of pus which he said would likely be present if trich was the cause."

To my understanding when they were ultrasounded something with the nodules of the uterus tell the vet they were at one time bred. And he saw no pus while ultrasounding which he said can usually be seen if trich is the cause.

Vira Shield is a killed vaccine. I switched to Vista 5 VL5 this past spring. The Vista vaccines have worked well for me. Especially on feed lot calves.
You are so right in saying you may never know what caused 7 opens and I'm bettin it isn't trich. One thing is certain, if it isn't trich, you sure need a different bull!

Triangle Bar said:
I would buy two bulls or do some AI and buy one clean up bull.
You will never regret having too much bull power or too much horsepower.

I agree, I always had 2 bulls till this year, 24 cows and 90 acres of pasture I thought we could get by on one, for a year. Was waiting to go hereford rather than introduce a young bull into t mature bulls world.

If one bull can't breed 24 cows in an extended breeding season.... I expect 2 mature bulls to cover 75 cows in a section in 60 days. Currently, I've turned out three yearlings on 50 falls cows that are grazing 6 rough quarters.

DejaVu said:
If one bull can't breed 24 cows in an extended breeding season.... I expect 2 mature bulls to cover 75 cows in a section in 60 days. Currently, I've turned out three yearlings on 50 falls cows that are grazing 6 rough quarters.

Agree, I call it insurance though.

Faster horses said:
Mill Iron A said:

I don't agree. They might be a touch more fertile, but your comment that crossbred cows are more disease resistant is nonsense.

Research indicates that there actually is a contribution to disease resistance in heterosis.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1030&context=hruskareports

Latest posts