• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF USA meeting for live cattle producers only

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac, you surely don't believe that NCBA is against privately labelled beef, do you??? FYI, selling your own beef under your own label, either individually or in an alliance of cattle producers is EXACTLY what NCBA has encouraged and some members have been pioneers in that type of enterprise.

That is market driven COOL as opposed to the government driven and controlled COOL, which certainly has the potential to be detrimental to privately labelled beef.

Boys, why is it that you can't understand the value of "speaking with one voice" WHEN it serves cattle producers? You have your genuine rcalf issue blinders on if you think NCBA blindly goes along with everything AMI does or wants.

It's pretty sad when a goup definitely in the extremist minority insists that they are the ONLY group who truly understands the cattle and beef business and that the group with many times the CATTLE PRODUCER members is the group that does not understand.

I'll stick with the ranchers group having a large number of this nations most successful ranchers as members, thanks.

mrj

How can you claim NCBA is in favor or market driven products after the Creekstone deal? That was a market driven niche and NCBA stumped to disallow it in favor of government quashing the private enterprise that NCBA also claims to support! Do you ever for a minute look to see if NCBA is practicing what you preach?

You are trying, yet again, to compare apples to woodchips.

A test for BSE is a very serious thing, for a single packer to use; which, with improper reading or usage, mistakes, or failure of the test could damage the entire cattle and beef industry in this country. You have offered no third party verification that such a test was available at the time it was requested, either.

That is quite a contrast with an individual or small group of individuals putting their own label, regulated by government rules, on a few carcasses worth of beef.

Don't waste your time worrying about whether NCBA and I are on the same page! I've stated several times I don't agree with every issue, nor do I believe that is necessary in a large membership organization, so long as the general direction is right, like NCBA's is.

mrj

mrj said:
You are trying, yet again, to compare apples to woodchips.

A test for BSE is a very serious thing, for a single packer to use; which, with improper reading or usage, mistakes, or failure of the test could damage the entire cattle and beef industry in this country. You have offered no third party verification that such a test was available at the time it was requested, either.

That is quite a contrast with an individual or small group of individuals putting their own label, regulated by government rules, on a few carcasses worth of beef.

Don't waste your time worrying about whether NCBA and I are on the same page! I've stated several times I don't agree with every issue, nor do I believe that is necessary in a large membership organization, so long as the general direction is right, like NCBA's is.

mrj

That's not the excuse NCBA gave..... You had a market driven product and not only was it rejected by NCBA, they wanted it stopped. A prime example of say one thing and do another. The packers whistled and their dog came running. Did they try to make it work? Did they happen to notice that both the seller and the buyer had an arrangement already figured out?

Pretty dang pathetic... - but go ahead and tell us all the wonderful things NCBA is doing to help us all prosper....

mrj said:
nenmrancher, why would rcalf do that? Judging by past action, that board is a law unto themselves. They sure do trash even 'their own' who turn against, or even question their actions.

OT and Sandhusker, the NCBA stand on that bill is OUR MEMBERS' position that they will be damaged if it passes. Because you disagree with those members' position does NOT mean it is a lie to tell how they believe it will affect their business with packers.

Obviously, you have an over-inflated in the importance of your own opinions and feel it should override a 30,000+ and growing member organization. We disagree with you. We can do that WITHOUT calling you liars........even when you so obviously are!

You boys claim to have lots of 'information' about what you also infer is a 'secret' organization. How do you get that information, anyway? Maybe you better check that crystal ball again. Maybe one side of it got too close to a source of hot air. It is definitely off balance and giving you crooked information!

mrj

ncba dont have 30,000 members and you know it,they are floundering for uninformed folks to take advantage of with their free wormer program if you sign up they will give you some ivomec...............what a joke,the ivomec would be put to better use if they used it on themselves.
good luck

PS after reading some of the malarkey you have posted,you could use a good dose yourself.

Cinch said:
Since I was there and attended most of the sessions, I would be willing to shed a little light on some of the happenings there.

But, since I am an R-CALF member, I will lie, put a liberal spin on it, and adhere to our blood oath not to tell anybody anything about the fact that R-CALF members only THINK their votes count, that unbeknownst to us, we are all just brainwashed zombies.

There was a pretty good contingent of reporters there, all with their bright orange badges, which may explain why Steve Dittmer, who sneaked past the registration desk (for the second time in two years) did not possess the press badge. So, he was asked to leave, just like he has been before in meetings held by other organizations.

Moreover, if anyone wants to suggest that Dittmer was kicked out to keep R-CALF meetings secret and their financials secret, ask Dittmer who supports (financially) his Agribusiness Freedom Foundation.

So, if you were there, would you like to give your slant on what went on at your convention? How many people were there? Were you given a clue about financials? Who were all the reporters there? :roll:

Heres a good article from the Canadian press on the R-CALF Convention- and that shows some of the issues that have raised differences between US and Canadian cattlemen...

As one Canadian I like to argue with said- we're too much to being alike in the western US and western Canada- geographically, weather, resources, populations, and even to quite an extent beliefs....We're like family arguing ( and with much of the cross border marriages actually are :roll: )..

When NAFTA came about- and Canada got access to many US markets it did not previously have- and with differing laws and rules giving advantages to certain industries and segments of such, it was Montana that took a big hit in their cattle , mining, oil, and timber industries....Between NAFTA and CRP it almost decimated some areas of the state....

Meatpackers, USDA come under fire at R-CALF convention

By Sheri Monk

Maple Creek News – Canada

February 26, 2008

R-CALF USA carries a certain mystique north of the border. Access to the activist group has been difficult for Canadian journalists who are told outright that R-CALF will speak only with their domestic American media.

Their annual convention was held Feb. 20-23 at Omaha and members attended from all over America to convene on the state of their cattle industry. R-CALF unapologetically seeks to stop Canadian cattle from moving south into America. Mad cow disease (BSE) hit Canada for the first time in 2003 and the landscape of the cattle industry in both countries was changed forever.

"We heard the news, it was auction day and the sale still went on, but the prices were dropping and there wasn't a smile on anyone's face," said a Montana rancher at the conference.

The American border slammed shut in May of 2003 and flaws in the Canadian cattle industry that had been neglected for years were finally illuminated, but without any avenue of escape for producers caught in the crisis.

Canada, as with many other industry segments, had built an export economy tailored upon the low value of the Canadian dollar and the mass market of the U.S. situated just a couple hours south of most major Canadian cities. When the border closed, cattle producers were raising more cows than Canadians could eat and there were too few packinghouses to kill them all.

The Canadian government worked feverishly to reopen the border and in 2005, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced cattle under the age of 30 months (UTM) could cross the line.

R-CALF won a temporary injunction to keep the border closed, but the injunction was lifted in appeals court.

On Nov. 19, 2007, the USDA fully opened the border and Canadian cattle older than 30 months (OTM) could be imported. The highest number of Canadian cattle ever shipped to the U.S. was around two million head annually–seemingly small potatoes to a country with 100 million head of cattle. R-CALF members, however, maintain it was the timing of the imports that hurt them.

"I'll tell you what, the packers you have up north, they're American and they wanted the border open worse than anyone else," said a rancher from Montana. "We'd see our prices start to get a little high and all of a sudden, the packers stopped buying. Three weeks they went once and never bought a cow and the feedlots are all of a sudden full of Canadian cattle. They showed up with a price they wanted to pay, we said it was too low and that's how they'd fix it."

While Canada and BSE were addressed at the convention, topics ranged from animal health management, international trade agreements, animal identification and movement tracking, the shrinking middle and working classes, agricultural law, income taxes, country of origin labeling, property rights, check-off and global market analysis.

R-CALF CEO Bill Bullard addressed the crowd and chastised the meatpackers he feels are exploiting producers while warning that without action, the beef industry will change forever. "You will become producers only at the invitation of the handful of packers," said Bullard.

R-CALF is affiliated with another influential producer group. John Carter with the Australian Beef Association crossed the ocean to address the crowd and spoke of their producers' national animal identification system.

"Don't let anyone take you down this suicidal path. This is a ploy to give jobs to bureaucrats and create money for multi-national tag manufacturers," said Carter.

The Aussie claimed that the RFID (radio frequency identification) system was a wreck from the start and was never subject to a cost-benefit analysis. Before flying to America, he checked what their system had recorded about his herd. "I had 22 head on the ranch this system claimed were dead that never died. I had 60 head reported as sold that I never owned. We hot brand, we run a careful operation, I know what we have."

Australian producers were told McDonalds had requested the program. Carter called McDonalds and the fast food chain denied having anything to do with the program. "So I say this to you–fight this to the last cowboy," Carter urged to a standing ovation.

If there was one entity that received the wrath of R-CALF at the convention, it was the USDA. Over and over, there were messages of how the agency has failed not only to protect American livestock producers, but the American public. "We have a tough battle, but it is an important one," said Russ Frye, who provides legal counsel for R-CALF. "Even the pets in Canada have better protection from BSE than our public in America," said Frye.

R-CALF has applauded Canada's recent improvements to the feed ban, which far exceed that of the United States by removing the parts of cattle that are known to host the infectious agents of BSE. Called "specified risk material" (SRM), Canada removes the tissues, renders and disposes of them to prevent the material from entering any part of the animal feed chain. It is widely believed the cause of the massive mad cow outbreak in the U.K. resulted from feeding cow tissues to cattle.

America prohibits ruminant to ruminant feeding, but still permits SRM to be used in other feeds such as dog food and chicken feed. Litter from chicken cages can be used in cattle feed. The chances of accidental contamination and feeding errors are greatly reduced by removing SRM from the food chain entirely and R-CALF strongly criticizes the USDA for their failure to ensure the same safety standards that Canada has.

The price of removing SRM is estimated to cost between $15 and $30 per head at the packinghouse level.

SRM cannot be sold and it's expensive to have it picked up and hauled to the single disposal site in western Canada. "With this border wide-open now and our dollar being the same, it'll be cheaper for Tyson and Cargill to buy your cattle and bring them into America for slaughter because here, they'll still make their money on SRM," said a South Dakota rancher.

R-CALF will continue to try to block Canadian beef imports. The organization strongly feels that BSE in Canada poses a health risk to their national herd, to their markets and to their beef consumers. The convention featured Professor Jason Bartz, an expert in BSE research from Creighton University who spoke about classical BSE and two other strains of BSE that little is known about. America has had three cases of BSE, the first was in an imported Canadian cow and was of the classic variety, the same strain of mad cow from the U.K. outbreak and the same strain in all of Canada's 11 BSE cases. The other two American incidents of BSE were of a strain called "atypical H type." R-CALF sees this difference in the strain as another reason to segregate Canadian and American cattle until more can be learned of the disease.

Information was available to members at the R-CALF convention on the history of BSE in Canada. These visual aids were presented to the judge at a court case on Feb. 19 to block older Canadian cattle from entering the U.S.

maplecreeknews.com

Latest posts