• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranching in Kazakhstan

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
I'm a hick from the sticks; I don't know where Kazakhstan is. I've never
heard of it. Would someone clue me in????

Faster ... here is a google map link: http://maps.google.ca/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source?%7D&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSHC_en&q=Kazakhstan&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x38a91007ecfca947:0x5f7b842fe4b30e1b,Kazakhstan&gl=ca&sa=X&ei=DXJaUZ-UIs-QyQH_0oCgDg&ved=0CJoBELYD

We had a few heifers headed that way last year. They were being summered/bred here in Canada somewhere before heading over [I presume] in the Fall.

From playing with the zoom it looks to be about 1/2 the size of the continental US

Looks more like a Canada climate to me ( translates to clod for me)

What is the feed quality like? In other words do you have access to a testing lab so you can balance a ration?
What pasture and range management programs have you considered implementing?
Would it be worth while seeding fall rye or winter triticale for pasture?
In your silage have you considered oats, peas and barley?
What is your frost free period?
How limiting is the rainfall to pasture and forage production?
What is the market animal you are trying to produce?
Just some questions...

Mark

All great questions but unfortunately I can't answer most of them . I haven considered peas or oats but we do have barly. Not sure about rain fall and frost free periods since I have yet to see it for myself. The company tells me they tested all the feed but it's very difficult to get any information out of these people due to the language barrier as well as the fact that they don't have any knowledge about farming, I have been asking directors what they want to do with animals and where they want to make there money but I have yet to get a answer. It is a very slow process and I have to take baby steps to obtain my overall goal for the year. Calf crop last year was 32 % and since January I have tried everything with the tools I have been given. I tell them out weak points and what we need to fix the problems but they have yet to listen. All little things such as bed the cows and calves and feed the cattle the proper amount. Feeding and barn cleanliness is 2 of our biggest problems here . So far I have brought calf crop this year to 67 % but that is still absolutely unacceptable. Until they want to learn and want to have a well run well maintained farm they will continue to lose a lot of money.

Surely an interesting scenario there in Kazakhstan. I have to admit that I can not picture the situation at all. What did surprise me the most is that that you said that you are there for 3 month now but haven't even seen the pastures? How is that possible? Have you seen the cows at all?
Would love to see pictures!

caljane said:
Surely an interesting scenario there in Kazakhstan. I have to admit that I can not picture the situation at all. What did surprise me the most is that that you said that you are there for 3 month now but haven't even seen the pastures? How is that possible? Have you seen the cows at all?

Heck most people in Saskatchewan haven't seen their pastures for 5 months. :shock:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Heck most people in Saskatchewan haven't seen their pastures for 5 months. :shock:

I didn't even know that you have any pastures in Saskatchewan. According to what is sold here as hay from Saskatchewan every Canadian Thistle patch is called "Alfalfa field" in your country! :D :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
caljane said:

I seen a gopher with winter grips on :) ... he died :wink:

caljane said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I didn't even know that you have any pastures in Saskatchewan. According to what is sold here as hay from Saskatchewan every Canadian Thistle patch is called "Alfalfa field" in your country! :D :D :D

We could have sent a load of snow balls. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
caljane said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Know what? We would love to have the snow balls! :wink:

caljane said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
caljane said:

x2

Faster horses said:
caljane said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

x2

In regards to the hay being shipped from Sask. I don't know where it has all come from. There has been more hay leave this country then I ever thought we had. It's no wonder a lot of it has been poor quality.

Wilsonconsulting said:
All great questions but unfortunately I can't answer most of them . I haven considered peas or oats but we do have barly. Not sure about rain fall and frost free periods since I have yet to see it for myself. The company tells me they tested all the feed but it's very difficult to get any information out of these people due to the language barrier as well as the fact that they don't have any knowledge about farming, I have been asking directors what they want to do with animals and where they want to make there money but I have yet to get a answer. It is a very slow process and I have to take baby steps to obtain my overall goal for the year. Calf crop last year was 32 % and since January I have tried everything with the tools I have been given. I tell them out weak points and what we need to fix the problems but they have yet to listen. All little things such as bed the cows and calves and feed the cattle the proper amount. Feeding and barn cleanliness is 2 of our biggest problems here . So far I have brought calf crop this year to 67 % but that is still absolutely unacceptable. Until they want to learn and want to have a well run well maintained farm they will continue to lose a lot of money.

The phenomenon you're encountering WC is the result of many generations of complete government control which ultimately results in no one having a clue what turning a profit actually means. That's why when you ask such questions, you'll likely get only a deer in the headlights-type stare.

Some day America will be much the same.

andybob said:
Are you confident that you can meet their nutritional needs, or do you need to look at the genotype? The larger type modern British cattle are not ideal for this type of grazing, the heritage breeds are more adapted to poor forage. Might Galloways be a better breed to consider for the prevailing conditions there?

andybob are you saying range cows should be productive on grass in summer and dry hay only in winter? No grain, no silage, no energy supplementation? Unheard of... :D

Latest posts