• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Range cubes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
We had a friend in Texas that fed whole cottonseed. The cows loved it and did amazing on it, mixed with hay. We had never seen that done but always knew what high regard the oldtimers in the north had for it. They still tell stories about cottonseed cake and how good it was. It had lots of energy because of the cottonseed oil in it. Now, up here, if you can get cottonseed cake, the oil is pressed out and used for other things, so it isn't as good as it was. (I am referring to cottonseed cake, not whole cottonseed.)
Same here FH. Cottonseed meal has about 1% fat guaranteed. the new process is much more efficient at extracting the oil. Still a great product and the primary protein source used by most feed companies for cattle feed across the south/southwest. Just a personal opinion but you can't make a commercial feed as good as whole cottonseed. Just limited by how much you can feed but it will make a cow bloom and milk production and butterfat will go straight up.

TexasBred said:
Faster horses said:
We had a friend in Texas that fed whole cottonseed. The cows loved it and did amazing on it, mixed with hay. We had never seen that done but always knew what high regard the oldtimers in the north had for it. They still tell stories about cottonseed cake and how good it was. It had lots of energy because of the cottonseed oil in it. Now, up here, if you can get cottonseed cake, the oil is pressed out and used for other things, so it isn't as good as it was. (I am referring to cottonseed cake, not whole cottonseed.)
Same here FH. Cottonseed meal has about 1% fat guaranteed. the new process is much more efficient at extracting the oil. Still a great product and the primary protein source used by most feed companies for cattle feed across the south/southwest. Just a personal opinion but you can't make a commercial feed as good as whole cottonseed. Just limited by how much you can feed but it will make a cow bloom and milk production and butterfat will go straight up.

It is my thought that Cottonseed Cake is what is used up here because of transporting it.

Ok I have 2 questions, is there any fat in corn stalks and alfalfa? And how much is there in DDG? I lied, one more, what percent does a 2nd thru 3rd trimester cow need? Anymore than she carries on her ribs going into winter?

What percent are you talking about? Fat? Protein? Nutrition requirements go up in the third trimester.
If you are wondering about fat, I don't know of % fat that is a nutrition requirement.
As for condition scoring, you need to look at their back, not their ribs/belly. Cows can have a 'hay belly' and be
thin over their back. That's where condition scoring starts--on their back.

Hope this helps.

Haytrucker said:
Ok I have 2 questions, is there any fat in corn stalks and alfalfa? And how much is there in DDG? I lied, one more, what percent does a 2nd thru 3rd trimester cow need? Anymore than she carries on her ribs going into winter?
Roughage (hay, alfalfa) seldom has any really measurable fat although it will always have some. DDG on the other hand may contain as much as 12-14% crude fat depending on processing. A third trimester cow needs only a maintenance feed, crude protein not being as critical as energy level. Good quality hay often makes it unnecessary to supplement them with anything other than the hay.

Third trimester 'maintenence feed' does require higher nutrition requirements than second trimester. Of course, after she calves, her nutrition requirements are even greater.
If the producer can get more body condition on their cows before going into winter/third trimester it is much cheaper to maintain that condition as opposed to trying to build body condition when the weather is cold. Sometimes, here in the north, we can't feed enough to maintain them, so good body condition going into the winter is very important; both for the cow and the producers pocketbook.

Faster horses said:
Third trimester 'maintenence feed' does require higher nutrition requirements than second trimester. Of course, after she calves, her nutrition requirements are even greater.
If the producer can get more body condition on their cows before going into winter/third trimester it is much cheaper to maintain that condition as opposed to trying to build body condition when the weather is cold. Sometimes, here in the north, we can't feed enough to maintain them, so good body condition going into the winter is very important; both for the cow and the producers pocketbook.
Should always go into winter with cattle in good condition regardless of where you live....but when you need conditioning lower protein higher energy feed is usually higher quality and less expensive than high protein feed and does a much better job of improving body condition.

TexasBred said:
rightwinger82 said:
I am now considering a grain mix of half cracked corn half whole cotton seed. That would be around 15 protien and 15 fat. No out of wack minerals or trace elements for around the same price as cake, and no need to change mineral programs. If all a person was short was protien alfalfa would be fine. Especially if you feed twice the amount needed, cause they ain't gonna eat them stems. I am looking to push fat to keep consumption of hay up.
Have you considered just feeding straight cottonseed and feeding only half as much. Should still have adequate crude protein and great energy level not to mention milk production if you have cows nursing calves. Would be a great compliment to hay and your cattle should flourish.
I have considered straight cottonseed. I have no experience with it, only read about it. Due to my location and shipping and handling, i thought the addition of 50 percent cracked corn would help it flow and handle better. Also, i didn't know how the cows might react to them little fuzzy seeds, thought the corn wouldn't run them off. What percent waste would you think there would be feeding whole cottonseed on the ground? Lots of folks feed ddg or grain mix on the ground here out of a cake feeder. Thanks, i had been wanting to hear from someone with whole cottonseed experience.

rightwinger82 said:
TexasBred said:
rightwinger82 said:
I am now considering a grain mix of half cracked corn half whole cotton seed. That would be around 15 protien and 15 fat. No out of wack minerals or trace elements for around the same price as cake, and no need to change mineral programs. If all a person was short was protien alfalfa would be fine. Especially if you feed twice the amount needed, cause they ain't gonna eat them stems. I am looking to push fat to keep consumption of hay up.
Have you considered just feeding straight cottonseed and feeding only half as much. Should still have adequate crude protein and great energy level not to mention milk production if you have cows nursing calves. Would be a great compliment to hay and your cattle should flourish.
I have considered straight cottonseed. I have no experience with it, only read about it. Due to my location and shipping and handling, i thought the addition of 50 percent cracked corn would help it flow and handle better. Also, i didn't know how the cows might react to them little fuzzy seeds, thought the corn wouldn't run them off. What percent waste would you think there would be feeding whole cottonseed on the ground? Lots of folks feed ddg or grain mix on the ground here out of a cake feeder. Thanks, i had been wanting to hear from someone with whole cottonseed experience.
Cattle will give them a strange look at first but will adjust quickly. I've never fed them on the ground but there will be waste. Probably 10-15% at least. The darn things stick together so your thoughts about adding the corn will certainly work for improving the flow of the seed. And the corn certainly won't hurt anything. You might begin by mixing then see how they react when you slip them some without the corn.

TexasBred said:
Faster horses said:
Should always go into winter with cattle in good condition regardless of where you live....but when you need conditioning lower protein higher energy feed is usually higher quality and less expensive than high protein feed and does a much better job of improving body condition.

:agree: Range country in the north has cows pretty far from home much of the time and it's hard to feed energy; plus we are far from a cheap source of energy like DDG's or cottonseed. I wish that wasn't the case, but we get by and the cows in the north can look remarkably good.

rightwinger82 said:
What kind of feeding rates have you used them at? I am looking to suppliment third trimester until pasture, any recommendations? Thanks
Most of my experience has been with dairies and we often fed much more than recommended (as much as 7-8 lbs. per head per day). Three to four pounds should be more than enough for good beef cattle along with the hay.

Faster horses said:
:agree: Range country in the north has cows pretty far from home much of the time and it's hard to feed energy; plus we are far from a cheap source of energy like DDG's or cottonseed. I wish that wasn't the case, but we get by and the cows in the north can look remarkably good.
Forgot about the distance factor but for most folks corn is the cheapest and easiest obtained source of energy usually contained in a good heavy commercial feed. Very little DDG fed down this way for beef cattle and if used primarily a protein source in a TMR.

Faster horses said:
Yes, corn is fed in the north too. Cob corn or whole corn, sometimes cracked corn. Fun to watch cows learn to eat cob corn that have never done so. They sure get the hang of it though.
Hard to find ear corn around here as most is machine picked and stored. I remember as a kid hand picking corn (hated my dad for it) adn then hauling a pickup truck load to the feed mill to be ground, have protein and more roughage added to it along with molasses and hauling it home. Fed it to everything. When we fed corn on the cob dad made me break the ears in half for the cows. Amazing how they can get it all down the chute eventually. :wink:

TexasBred said:
rightwinger82 said:
Cattle will give them a strange look at first but will adjust quickly. I've never fed them on the ground but there will be waste. Probably 10-15% at least. The darn things stick together so your thoughts about adding the corn will certainly work for improving the flow of the seed. And the corn certainly won't hurt anything. You might begin by mixing then see how they react when you slip them some without the corn.

We're feeding cottonseed on the ground. Short dormant grass. We scoop it out of the barn with the fel and dribble it out in small piles. They clean it up pretty good. I've tried mixing it with corn in a overhead and bin. As little as 10 percent will cause flow problems in my experience.

Latest posts