• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Recipes and things you cook with that you recommend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Harley's Texas BBQ and seasoning was recommended to me by a good cook. I bought it off Amazon and we really like it. It's good on or in everything!! Not too hot, but wonderful flavor. Not just for BBQ'ing either. We had mac and cheese with ground meat and I sprinkled the meat (it was ground pork) with Harleys and it was the best ever.

So what do you recommend?

As for recipes, I made a chicken soup that was on the front page of Good Housekeeping or some magazine like that. It was God AWFUL! I wadded the recipe up and threw it away!! UGH.

I use Spanish hot paprika from SPAIN on almost everything. Other paprikas don't compare and are basically just for color. Pimenton has flavor. Use sparingly. I even put a sprinkling in brownies. A must for all steaks, roasts, hamburgers, soups, chowders, and chilis. Another favorite I use in soup is white pepper. Back in my Baker County days, after dropping off some cattle at the auction in La Grande, I wandered over to a new soup and sandwich place. I tried their special, turkey noodle soup and it was fantastic. The cook told me the secret ingredient was white pepper. If white pepper can make turkey taste good, then it is a miracle spice. I have used it ever since. Mc Cormick's makes the best white pepper and is available locally. Quality Pimenton has to be ordered. I think Amazon still carries this brand.

I always get this brand of Pimenton, a product of SPAIN, and put it in a sprinkle bottle. Hungarian and other hot paprikas do not compare. Even some from Spain are not as good as Chiquilin.

5193zlxknEL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Thanks, MC. I might get some of your hot paprika for a friend. We don't do HOT much.
I have McCormick's white pepper, never use it, I wondered why I bought it. Now I know. I'll give it a try.
It isn't that hot if you use it sparingly, it just gives a wonderful flavor like no other spice. Just a few sprinkles go a long way. White pepper can be hot also if you overdo it. Easy does it is the rule.

We love garlic and use it a lot. This stuff is extra handy on garlic bread, mashed potatoes, stews and soups. Have to order it online. Used to be at Costco but no more.
View attachment 2587
I use it also. I take a half hoagie roll and butter it liberally and then sprinkle the garlic spread on heavy and then top it with shredded cheddar cheese (sometimes add feta), then I cut Spanish olives in half to top it with and then put it under the oven broiler element with the door cracked and then watch until it gets toasted.

I just got home there was a large package for me that UPS delivered. I didn't buy anything? Opened it and there was a card from CS pack the place that killed our slaughter cows. In the box was 8 bacon wrapped rib eyes 2 inches thick. After the check they sent me for the cows and they send me Christmas present!!!! I hope these aren't rib eyes from the cows I shipped. Now to figure out how to cook a 2" bacon wrapped steak......

Last edited:
We like smoked paprika,especially on jerky. We've never tried the hot, it sounds good.
Here's my recipe:
Jerky:
2lbs beef, buffalo, moose, deer. steak sliced, then thin sliced.

Make a salt brine(no Chinese soy sauce):
1/4c.salt to 1qut. warm water(dissolve salt).
In a lg. metal bowl put:
sliced meat
1c. salt brine
4-6 fresh crushed garlics(could probably use 1T. jarred garlic bits in place of every fresh garlic).
1/2t. fresh ground pepper(I use an old coffee grinder)
1t. smoked paprika
1/2t. chili pepper flakes
Add 1/2 to 1c more water if necessary to cover meat.
Mix it up. Saran the bowl top,soak it overnight in fridge.
Spread parchment paper on cookie sheets.
Lay meat on paper, slices touching but no overlapping or stacking the meat.
With gas oven: put trays in on warm about 3 hrs. then let it set in oven (with pilot light on) overnight with oven turned off.
With electric oven: put it on lowest setting overnight or for about 8-10 hrs.

In the first couple hours take the trays out acouple times about every forty mins. And carefully drain off the water without dumping the meat.

My boys love it and are always begging me for more, their grampa likes it too.

Harley's Texas BBQ and seasoning was recommended to me by a good cook. I bought it off Amazon and we really like it. It's good on or in everything!! Not too hot, but wonderful flavor. Not just for BBQ'ing either. We had mac and cheese with ground meat and I sprinkled the meat (it was ground pork) with Harleys and it was the best ever.

So what do you recommend?

As for recipes, I made a chicken soup that was on the front page of Good Housekeeping or some magazine like that. It was God AWFUL! I wadded the recipe up and threw it away!! UGH.

We like smoked paprika,especially on jerky. We've never tried the hot, it sounds good.
Here's my recipe:
Jerky:
2lbs beef, buffalo, moose, deer. steak sliced, then thin sliced.

Make a salt brine(no Chinese soy sauce):
1/4c.salt to 1qut. warm water(dissolve salt).
In a lg. metal bowl put:
sliced meat
1c. salt brine
4-6 fresh crushed garlics(could probably use 1T. jarred garlic bits in place of every fresh garlic).
1/2t. fresh ground pepper(I use an old coffee grinder)
1t. smoked paprika
1/2t. chili pepper flakes
Add 1/2 to 1c more water if necessary to cover meat.
Mix it up. Saran the bowl top,soak it overnight in fridge.
Spread parchment paper on cookie sheets.
Lay meat on paper, slices touching but no overlapping or stacking the meat.
With gas oven: put trays in on warm about 3 hrs. then let it set in oven (with pilot light on) overnight with oven turned off.
With electric oven: put it on lowest setting overnight or for about 8-10 hrs.

In the first couple hours take the trays out acouple times about every forty mins. And carefully drain off the water without dumping the meat.

My boys love it and are always begging me for more, their grampa likes it too.
It's done when it's crunchy.

I use Spanish hot paprika from SPAIN on almost everything. Other paprikas don't compare and are basically just for color. Pimenton has flavor. Use sparingly. I even put a sprinkling in brownies. A must for all steaks, roasts, hamburgers, soups, chowders, and chilis. Another favorite I use in soup is white pepper. Back in my Baker County days, after dropping off some cattle at the auction in La Grande, I wandered over to a new soup and sandwich place. I tried their special, turkey noodle soup and it was fantastic. The cook told me the secret ingredient was white pepper. If white pepper can make turkey taste good, then it is a miracle spice. I have used it ever since. Mc Cormick's makes the best white pepper and is available locally. Quality Pimenton has to be ordered. I think Amazon still carries this brand.

I always get this brand of Pimenton, a product of SPAIN, and put it in a sprinkle bottle. Hungarian and other hot paprikas do not compare. Even some from Spain are not as good as Chiquilin.

View attachment 2575
I'm going to ask our small town mom'n'pop grocery to carry this, I don't I've ever seen it before. We like a little heat and spice in our house. I bet this is good on deviled eggs too.

The best steak in the world of any kind o' meat ( beef, game, salmon) is that cooked on an old oven grate over a good old fashioned cowboy fire burned down a bit. No seasonings just what the fire an' smoke do to it.

Last edited:
I cool all the time on a camp chef smoker. I've done everything from brisket and ribs to macaroni and cheese and even an apple pie. Amazing what smoke flavor adds.
We have a Green Mountain Grill, have had it for years. And you are right.

I haven't cooked an apple pie on it yet. Or mac and cheese. You are pretty daring.

So tell me how you do your brisket, please. I have one and was thinking of fixing it for Christmas. However, currently our smoker is covered in snow. Hopefully it wil be warm enough Christmas day to use it.

I just got home there was a large package for me that UPS delivered. I didn't buy anything? Opened it and there was a card from CS pack the place that killed our slaughter cows. In the box was 8 bacon wrapped rib eyes 2 inches thick. After the check they sent me for the cows and they send me Christmas present!!!! I hope these aren't rib eyes from the cows I shipped. Now to figure out how to cook a 2" bacon wrapped steak......
Pan cook them on high heat flipping them about every minute and a half for 5 or 6 flips.While your pan is getting hot,turn on oven to bake and set the temp to 250.After you pan cook put in oven on a foil lined cookie sheet for 50 minutes for medium well.40 minutes for medium rare.Make sure they are thawed good and down to room temp before you start process.I've learned too,don't stab them in the meat when your pan frying and flipping them with a fork.If using a fork go for the edge fat or use tongs to flip.

We have a Green Mountain Grill, have had it for years. And you are right.

I haven't cooked an apple pie on it yet. Or mac and cheese. You are pretty daring.

So tell me how you do your brisket, please. I have one and was thinking of fixing it for Christmas. However, currently our smoker is covered in snow. Hopefully it wil be warm enough Christmas day to use it.
I use a dry rub on a brisket. Make sure you thaw it naturally and don't microwave it. Once thawed, apply rub of your choice liberally on every nook and cranny. If you have a grill and not a smoker, I'd do what's called indirect cooking. Meaning place the meat on one side of the grill and don't light that side. Only have fire on the opposite side. Take several cups of wood chips (I prefer hickory and apple on a brisket) and soak in water for half an hour. Then make a tinfoil pouch big enough for the wood ships and completely seal them inside. Take a fork and make three punctures in it and place on the side where the fire is. I smoke my brisket about 18 hours. The key is to monitor internal temperature. Once it's to 205F it's done. Try not to move it once the brisket is on the grill. Don't turn it. Some people "crutch" to get past the dreaded stall. The meat will seem to take forever to go from 180 up to 205. So they will carefully wrap the brisket in paper and then foil and it will increase to temp faster. But to me that takes away from the crust and taste. To each their own. It does make it cool quicker when you crutch it. The key is 205 degrees and then remove it. Wrap in foil immediately and then a couple old towels and place inside a small cooler to hold the heat. That's only if it's 9 am and the brisket reaches temp but supper isn't until 1 pm. Then slice and eat. Or rather, watch it fall apart because it'll be tender as heck. Look up on YouTube Steven Raichlen and he can show you what I've talked about

Latest posts