• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Romney wins Florida Bigtime

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well it will be interesting to see if Ron Paul's bragging about his Consitutional values are strongly supported by Mormans will win him any votes with them when they vote 98% to support their Morman brother Romney last time. Or will this materialize like the support from the miliary in South Carolina. :roll:

beethoven said:
youre not a fan of the humane society. well i wouldnt vote for you if thats the case.

Obviously you don't have any idea what the National HSUS is all about. It isn't about saving puppies, its about making big bucks and destroying agriculture as we know it. I have no problem helping the local Humane shelters, but this group isn't about that.

hypocritexposer said:
BRG said:
The only thing I don't like about Santorum, is something I read about him a couple weeks back, and now I can't find the link. But it stated that he was a strong supporter of HSUS when he was in the senate. If that is true, that worries me as we don't need that in the white house either.

I doubt the HSUS issue is the biggest one that the US faces, at this time. :wink:

You are correct, but it is close to me as they are trying to push ranchers, feeders, packers, ets out. If they get what they want, then this country will have to rely on getting our food sources from other countries. A hungry country is a weak country.

BRG said:
hypocritexposer said:
BRG said:
The only thing I don't like about Santorum, is something I read about him a couple weeks back, and now I can't find the link. But it stated that he was a strong supporter of HSUS when he was in the senate. If that is true, that worries me as we don't need that in the white house either.

I doubt the HSUS issue is the biggest one that the US faces, at this time. :wink:

You are correct, but it is close to me as they are trying to push ranchers, feeders, packers, ets out. If they get what they want, then this country will have to rely on getting our food sources from other countries. A hungry country is a weak country.

I understand, that is why I went looking for any clue that Santorum realizes that about HSUS. He did not support HSUS, HSUS supported him, because of some of the work he did on bills that HSUS uses as propaganda in an attempt to fool people that they are a legit organization.

As far as the horse slaughter goes.....I can find no information that he voted for it. He wasn't even there when it was passed

hypocritexposer said:
BRG said:
hypocritexposer said:

I understand, that is why I went looking for any clue that Santorum realizes that about HSUS. He did not support HSUS, HSUS supported him, because of some of the work he did on bills that HSUS uses as propaganda in an attempt to fool people that they are a legit organization.

As far as the horse slaughter goes.....I can find no information that he voted for it. He wasn't even there when it was passed

I hope you are correct. I read it on line, but you never know what to believe half the time. I never saw anything about horse slaughter and Santorum, only HSUS in general.

BRG said:
hypocritexposer said:
BRG said:

I hope you are correct. I read it on line, but you never know what to believe half the time. I never saw anything about horse slaughter and Santorum, only HSUS in general.

did some more searching for you BRG. He did vote for an amendment:

To prohibit the use of appropriated funds to pay the salaries or expenses of personnel to inspect horses under certain authority or guidelines.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00237

This bill never went to the Senate

In my opinion there could be many reasons for his "YEA" vote, and it does not necessarily mean he was against the slaughter of horses, just the manner in which the inspections were funded.

some further information

Rick Santorum: Of all the candidates who have served in Congress, Santorum was arguably the most active on animal protection issues. He earned a 60 percent on the Humane Scorecard for the 108th Congress, and an 80 percent for the 109th Congress. But more importantly, he was the lead sponsor of the Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS) to crack down on large-scale commercial puppy mills, and held a hearing on the bill when he was the chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee's Subcommittee on Research, Nutrition and General Legislation. He was also a leader in the Senate urging adequate funding for the enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, the federal animal fighting law, and other animal welfare programs. He cosponsored legislation to establish federal felony penalties for dogfighting and cockfighting, cosponsored legislation to require the addition of a bittering agent to antifreeze and engine coolant to prevent the poisoning of pets, and voted to stop the slaughter of American horses for food exports.

http://hslf.typepad.com/political_animal/

hypocritexposer said:
BRG said:
hypocritexposer said:

Humane Society Legislative Fund Endorses Senator Santorum in Pennsylvania

October 12, 2006

Animal Welfare Group Urges Pennsylvania Voters to Reelect Santorum for Senate on November 7th, Announces Other Endorsements for Pennsylvania

WASHINGTON — Citing him as "one of the leading animal welfare advocates in the entire U.S. Senate," the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) announced that it has enthusiastically endorsed Senator Rick Santorum in his re-election bid to the U.S. Senate for Pennsylvania. HSLF based the endorsement on Santorum's long-standing record of support for animal welfare, his active leadership on humane issues, and his tangible record of success on these issues.

"There is no stronger animal welfare advocate in Congress than Senator Santorum," said Sara Amundson, executive director of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. "Santorum has been one of our most determined and effective leaders in fighting for public policies to halt cruelty and abuse. In order to pass humane laws, we need humane lawmakers like Senator Santorum. Pennsylvanians who care about animals should support his re-election."

HSLF noted that Santorum has provided leadership year after year in seeking higher levels of funding for enforcement of the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act and the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), including the provisions in the AWA relating to better enforcement of the prohibitions against dogfighting and cockfighting. He has led the fight for increased funding, working most recently in concert with Senator Carl Levin, for higher funding levels.

Santorum's actions, and those of his colleagues to support his efforts, have boosted funding for enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act by 81% (a cumulative increase of $32 million) over the past six years, which has enabled the agency to hire dozens more inspectors to look out for the welfare of animals at research laboratories, puppy mills, zoos, and the like. These funding increases have also directed the USDA to spend $14 million specifically to ensure better compliance with the humane slaughter law. Before then, there had never been funds specifically designated for this purpose, and the agency had not taken seriously its enforcement responsibilities under this law, which literally affects billions of animals. And Congress has targeted $800,000 in each of the past few years for USDA to focus on animal fighting cases.

"We need laws to protect animals, but we also need those laws to be enforced," said added Amundson. "Senator Santorum has worked in a bipartisan fashion to secure millions in funding so that animal welfare laws can be better enforced."

In addition, Santorum has been a lead cosponsor of the Animal Fighting Prohibition and Enforcement Act, S. 382, a bill to establish felony-level penalties for transporting animals for fighting purposes across state lines. Santorum worked to get this measure to the floor for a vote of the full Senate, and the measure passed unanimously. This legislation is more crucial than ever given the threat of bird flu posed by the illegal transportation of roosters for cockfighting, and the human fatalities from bird flu that have been linked to cockfighting in southeast Asia. He is working hard to get the House to consider the legislation and send it to President Bush for his signature.

Also, HSLF recognized Santorum's efforts to provide protections for dogs sold by large, commercial breeders to the public. He has been the lead Senator on this issue during his entire Senate career, and has introduced legislation, the Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS), S. 1139, to crack down on abusive "puppy mills" that treat the dogs like they are production machines. Pennsylvania is one of the country's hotspots for puppy mill operations, making Senator Santorum's leadership especially important on this issue.

Santorum's support has helped pass important animal protection laws during his career in the Senate, including legislation that barred the interstate and foreign shipment of birds for cockfighting, stopped the trade in tigers and other big cats as exotic pets, and created a national sanctuary system for retired chimpanzees no longer used in medical research. He has also supported a raft of other animal protection measures, including efforts to ban horse slaughter for human consumption, to add a bittering agent to anti-freeze to make the substance unpalatable to animals and children, to protect dolphins from drowning in tuna nets, to prohibit the sale of bear parts such as gall bladders, and to include animals in disaster plans. Additionally, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, his efforts in tandem with Senator John Ensign caused the White House to pay closer attention to the plight of animals impacted by the disaster.

HSLF is a nonpartisan organization that evaluates candidates based only on a single criterion: where they stand on animal welfare. HSLF does not judge candidates based on party affiliation or any other issue. A complete list of HSLF's endorsements is available online at www.humanevoting.com.

For the U.S. House of Representatives, HSLF is backing Robert Brady (D-1st), Chaka Fattah (D-2nd), Phil English (R-3rd), Jim Gerlach (R-6th), Curt Weldon (R-7th), Mike Fitzpatrick (R-8th), Bill Shuster (R-9th), Chris Carney (D-10th), Paul Kanjorski (D-11th), John Murtha (D-12th), Allyson Schwartz (D-13th), Mike Doyle (D-14th), Charles Dent (R-15th), Joe Pitts (R-16th), Tim Holden (D-17th), and Todd Platts (R-19th).

--30--

Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) is a social welfare organization incorporated under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. HSLF works to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal level, to educate the public about animal protection issues, and to support humane candidates for office. Contributions or gifts to HSLF are not tax deductible. Your donation may be used for lobbying to pass laws to protect animals, as well as for political purposes, such as supporting or opposing candidates. HSLF does not accept contributions from business corporations or labor organizations. On the web at www.hslf.org.

Media Contact: Julia Janak, [email protected], (425) 208-1684

So are you saying the Humane Society is lying- and Santorum didn't work toward their efforts to ban horse slaughter-- and is just saying so and endorsing him for the fun of it :???: :roll:

You have to remember- the HSUS and Animal Rights groups have been trying to ban horse slaughter for years... In fact it was banned from pet food way back in the 70's...

The reason you can't find a vote for Santorum is that the Senate has never voted on it - directly anyway...Nor has the Senate voted on banning horse slaughter...

There have been efforts to create a Federal law, the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, designed to stop the slaughter of American horses for human consumption. On September 8, 2006, the House of Representatives passed a bill which, had it also passed the Senate and been signed by the President, would have made killing or selling American horses for human consumption an illegal practice in the United States.

Two bills, H.R.503 in the House and S.1915 in the Senate, were introduced in the 109th Congress to prevent the slaughter of horses for human consumption in the United States. H.R. 503 was passed in the House on September 7, 2006, by a recorded vote of 263–146. S.1915 was read twice, and referred committee, and not reported out for a vote. Both bills died at the end of the 109th Congress. The bills were reintroduced in the 110th Congress on January 17, 2007 as H.R.503 and S.311. S.311 was reported out but not taken up for a vote. The bills were not reintroduced in the 111th Congress. Two bills were introduced in the 112th Congress, HR 2966 and S 1176, American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011.

There is NO federal law against horse slaughter- most plants were closed because of local ordinances/state laws...Then in 2006 Congress refused to appropriate the money into the USDA's budget for USDA inspectors at horse kill plants- which essentially stopped the industry and effected a ban...

Last year Congress did appropriate the money into the USDA's budget..

In November the U.S. House and Senate each passed the agriculture appropriations bill without including any of the annual riders that have prevented the U.S. Department of Agriculture from providing necessary inspections to horse processing facilities. President Barak Obama signed the measure Nov. 18.

But these folks in Congress are not giving up trying:

Senate Reintroduces Bill to Permanently Ban Horse Slaughter
June 9, 2011 - A bill to ban horse slaughter was reintroduced in the United States Senate on June 9, 2011. Sponsored by Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), S. 1176, the "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011" will end the slaughter of American horses here and, most urgently, will stop these horses from being exported abroad for slaughter.

My understanding is this bill is still stuck in committee....

Yes I am saying they are lying, or misrepresenting facts.

He never worked or supported a ban on horse slaughter. He voted YEA on the appropriation bill, like I said in my post above.

Notice how the HSLF also misrepresented the amendment

and voted to stop the slaughter of American horses for food exports.

http://hslf.typepad.com/political_animal/

That was not the intent of the amendment.

Why don't you provide some links to how Santorum supported the ban on horse slaughter, that the HSUS wrote about, if you believe them?

misrepresenting "support", allows these types of organizations to go out into a district like Santorum's and ask for donations....."your Rep. support us, so you should too"

or it allows someone like you to misrepresent the facts and say "you shouldn't vote for him, because he supports the HSUS"

I find it odd that someone can't support Santorum for a connection with the humane society but support obama who is bigger into thew humane society.

I find it odd that someone support the production of energy in this country including oil gas and coal and hates Santorum who is for this also. Then they support obama who has done all he can to stop fossil fuel production.

I find it odd that someone condemns Bushs spending but then turn around and jump on obamas regime wagon who is outspending Bush by leaps and bounds. Also Santorum has been on the conservative side of the government spending spree.

Only a liberal cultist can still find a way to support obama after he supposedly is on opposite ends of the spectrum as this poster on here.

Larrry said:
I find it odd that someone can't support Santorum for a connection with the humane society but support obama who is bigger into thew humane society.

I find it odd that someone support the production of energy in this country including oil gas and coal and hatesd Santorum who is for this also. Then they support obama who has done all he can to stop fossil fuel production.

I find it odd that someone condemns /Bushs spending but then turn around and jump on obamas regime wagon who is outspending Bush by leaps and bounds. Also Santorum has been on the conservative side of the government spending spree.

Only a liberal cultist can still find a way to support obama after he supposedly is on opposite ends of the spectrum as this poster on here.

Maybe you just bought into the right wing propoganda...

We have more oil production than we had under Bush..We are importing less foreign oil than we did under Bush and are now exporting oil products...

There are more offshore drilling permits and federal land drilling permits currently being put up for bid than ever under GW..

We are opening up access to more natural gas fields than we ever did...And with the new technology of being able to liquify natural gas more efficiently-it is opening up hundreds of new uses....

There are several clean coal plants now in the proposal stage- which includes opening up new coal fields...

In November the U.S. House and Senate each passed the agriculture appropriations bill without including any of the annual riders that have prevented the U.S. Department of Agriculture from providing necessary inspections to horse processing facilities. President Barak Obama signed the measure Nov. 18.
And the big push to making sure the funding for horse slaughter stayed in USDA's budget- and that no one could put a rider in stopping it was Sen Baucus...

But Bush signed the ban ending horse slaughter...

Santorum was the same type of phony conservative our former Senator Conman Burns was-- would vote for and support every project or earmark- IF there was enough lobbyiest money coming into their campaigns pockets-- the reason in 2006 they topped the list of donations from lobbyiests (and maybe the reason the voters in their home states sent both a packing)...

ot you just bought into the lefwingernut cultists propaganda.

So are you telling us obama is for drilling in Anwar, that he didn't put the brakes on offshore drilling, that he isn't going to shut down coal plants like he said he was. Are you telling us he has cut spending. Are you telling us he is for opening up horse slaughter. Are you telling us he quit his cocaine use and quit smoking the man pole while he is married. Are you telling us that HSUS didn't give money to obama.

Surely you aren't one of those cultist that believes the lies obama told you.

Oldtimer said:
Larrry said:

I find it odd that someone support the production of energy in this country including oil gas and coal and hatesd Santorum who is for this also. Then they support obama who has done all he can to stop fossil fuel production.

I find it odd that someone condemns /Bushs spending but then turn around and jump on obamas regime wagon who is outspending Bush by leaps and bounds. Also Santorum has been on the conservative side of the government spending spree.

We have more oil production than we had under Bush..We are importing less foreign oil than we did under Bush and are now exporting oil products...

There are more offshore drilling permits and federal land drilling permits currently being put up for bid than ever under GW..

We are opening up access to more natural gas fields than we ever did...And with the new technology of being able to liquify natural gas more efficiently-it is opening up hundreds of new uses....

There are several clean coal plants now in the proposal stage- which includes opening up new coal fields...

And the big push to making sure the funding for horse slaughter stayed in USDA's budget- and that no one could put a rider in stopping it was Sen Baucus...

Santorum was the same type of phony conservative our former Senator Conman Burns was-- would vote for and support every project or earmark- IF there was enough lobbyiest money coming into their campaigns pockets-- the reason in 2006 they topped the list of donations from lobbyiests (and maybe the reason the voters in their home states sent both a packing)...

You have a hard time understanding timelines, consumption/production supply/demand when it comes to oil, don't you?

the increased production is Bush's fault, the decreased consumption is obama's fault and the excess oil you export is only available because you import.

Just when you think the Florida Primary is in the books Newt finds a way of slapping Romney. :) According to Florida Romney won so he gets all 50 delegates but according to the RNC rules no state can grant all delegates to one person prior to April 1st. Newt is filing a complaint in Florida see to it Florida follows the rules when awarding their delegates.

"While we welcome the president's attention to the increasing cost of gasoline, he did not paint an accurate picture of America's energy reality on oil," said Karen A. Harbert, president of the Institute for 21st Century Energy at the US Chamber of Commerce. "Last year's increase in domestic oil production is entirely a product of decisions to encourage new production that were made several years ago, in previous administrations. The reduction in the percentage of oil we import occurred due to these previously-approved permits, as well as lower US oil demand due to our weak economy."

"Only one deepwater drilling permit has been issued in the last 10 months. [DOI's] new 5-year plan on offshore exploration prohibits any new exploration through 2017. If the administration is serious about a more secure energy future and a robust economic recovery, it will revisit these decisions and let America's oil and gas industry get back to work," Harbert said.

US Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alas.) said following Obama's press conference that he was pleased that the president apparently recognizes the need to increase domestic oil and gas production, and that new development in Alaska, both onshore and offshore, is part of the equation. "Unfortunately, the reality we have seen so far from the administration includes stalled exploration in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas, a series of federal hang-ups preventing development in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska and an unwillingness to recognize the enormous potential of the resources in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge," he said.

API Upstream Director Erik Milito made a similar point in a teleconference with reporters prior to Obama's press conference. "Production levels in 2010 are a credit to the vision of previous administrations, which opened areas to development, and to the men and women of the US oil and natural gas industry who have produced more from our resources than anyone anticipated," he said.

The US Energy Information Administration predicted that production declines in the gulf of 240,000 b/d in 2011 and 200,000 b/d in 2012 resulting from the drilling moratorium and the US Department of the Interior's slow pace in approving offshore drilling permits will cut total US crude production from 5.51 million b/d in 2010 to 5.4 million b/d in 2011 and 5.27 million b/d in 2012, Milito noted. Amid widespread concern over gasoline prices, the economic recovery, and job security, "it is time for the administration to work as a real partner with an industry that is ready, and waiting, to do more, not less," he said.

http://www.ogj.com/articles/2011/03/obama--us-oil-production.html

IN CONFIDENCE

SUSPECT BSE IN A HORSE

CYO BSE 1 9

IN CONFIDENCE

SUSPECT BSE IN A HORSE

http://equinespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2012/01/horse-meat-slaughter-for-consumption.html

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:
Larrry said:

You have a hard time understanding timelines, consumption/production supply/demand when it comes to oil, don't you?

the increased production is Bush's fault, the decreased consumption is obama's fault and the excess oil you export is only available because you import.

US oil production last year rose to its highest level in almost a decade….

As a result, analysts believe the US was the largest contributor to the increase in global oil supplies last year over 2009, and is on track to increase domestic production by 25 per cent by the second half of the decade.

flounder said:
IN CONFIDENCE
SUSPECT BSE IN A HORSE
CYO BSE 1 9
IN CONFIDENCE
SUSPECT BSE IN A HORSE
http://equinespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2012/01/horse-meat-slaughter-for-consumption.html

So now that obama supports horse slaughter, I guess you won't be voting for him?

beethoven said:
youre not a fan of the humane society. well i wouldnt vote for you if thats the case.

HSUS is strictly a political activist group, in no way affilated with the Humane Society.

http://www.humanewatch.org/

Latest posts