• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"Sangers"that got left out!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Juan

Reaction score
Can't believe that nobody mentioned Bing Crosby...more number one hits than anybody in history.He had a voice that will never be equaled and He could sing any genre and crossed over from Pop to Country many times.He took Mule Train and made a monster hit of it.
As female singer imho Jo Staffiord was the best ever.She also crossed over to Country and had huge hits.Faster Horses mentiond Connie Smith,I'd have to put her a very close second .Then there is Kay Star,Dottie West,Martha Carson,Anne Murry and yummy yummy Wanda Jackson!!!
Back to the men.....How could You leave out George Jones,Jim Reeves,Buck Owens and the country singers country singer Gene Watson!How about Ernest Tubb,Lefty Frizzel,T Texas Tyler,Tex Ritter,Red Foley,George Morgan,Hawkshaw Hawkins,Slim Whitman,Shed Wooley,Merle Travis.Mack Wiesman,Ferlin Husky,Hank Locklin,Marvin Rainwater,Carl Smith,Don Gibson,Faron Young,Ray Price,Web Pierce,Cowboy Copas,Bill Anderson,Tommy Collins,Sonny James,Porter Waggoner,Roger Miller,Jerry Lee Lewis,Moon Mullican,Jimmy Dean,Carl Perkins.
I can't forget Freddy Hart.At one time he played every night at a club in Fenix City,Alabama,Just across the river from Columbus Georgia(where we went for Ranger training)and he would come out and say "we're all here to have a good time.Now if any of you tough guys think you want to fight just step up and I'll help You get it out of your system.You know,I never saw anyone take him on.
Then there is the truck drivers friend,Dave Dudley

I could mention some that started it all in the country field....Vernon Dalhart,The Singing Brakeman,Jimmy Rodgers,Oklahoma Jack Guthrie.Real oldies,Elton Britt,Al Dexter,Wayne Raney,Lonnie Glossen,Grandpa Jones,Jimmy Wakely,Jimmy Davis(who wrote the one country song that nearly every one in the world knows)
Well I've gone on long enough.surely missed some that could be here and mispelled a lot of names :shock: :shock: :? :

Anyone remember Johnny Rodriguez??? How about Don Williams??? C.W. McCall??? and who was the silver haired man who sang "hey, did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world"??? who was the woman who sang "Teddy Bear"??? What about Mel Tillis?? What about Ronnie Milsap??? Sylvia??? Alabama??? The Oak Ridge Boys (all-time favorites of my childhood)?? :shock:

Ranchwife,
I think the silver haired man was Charlie Rich.
I also think that George Jones, as Juan mentioned above, is one of the great voices of our time.
There are not many music artists that I don't like..... in fact the only one I can think of off-hand that I absolutely detest is Janis Joplin.My wife however, loves her "singing" and is very good at hiding her CD's from me and the boys. :wink:
I also hate all rappers but that is niether music nor art. It just sucks. :D

TimH----Yes, Charlie Rich was indeed the man...what a wonderful voice...and I could not agree with you more about Rap!! :p :p Does not take alot of talent to yell, scream and throw around obsenities!!!Ich!!!!

ranchwife said:
who was the woman who sang "Teddy Bear"???

Barbara Fairchild. Another great male singer that I don't think anyone mentioned is Billy Walker. Juan mentioned Dottie West and Ray Price, but they are two that belong near the top of my list.

Have any of you Texans heard of Michelle Murphy. I bought one of her CDs on a bargain rack a few years ago, and she has some good songs.

Ranchwife,

You also mentioned Don Williams in your post, who I also like very much.
Here is a little story that I hope does not bore you, but will maybe show what it is like for an artist, even a popular and successful one, to be onstage performing for other people..... espescially a good and humble man such as Don Williams, I'm sure it is true for others,as well........here's the story........

It was probably 18 or so years ago, Don williams was playing a concert in Edmonton(near where we lived at the time). I liked Don's music but my wife and some of our friends could take him or leave him. However, The Whites were the opening act, and we all liked them, and in particular we all liked Jerry Douglas who played dobro with them, at the time. We got tickets and went to the show.
The Whites were great, but it turned out that Jerry wasn't even on that tour with them. No big deal, but we were a little dissapointed.
Anyway, The Whites finished their set and Don came out and started his. He sat down in his chair and just did his thing. I was loving it. My wife and the other people we were with decided it was time to leave and go to a Country Music club that was close by. I tried to talk them into staying for the rest of the show but.... no way!! They all stood up, in the middle of a song mind you, and made their way to the aisle and out of the theatre. I had no choice but to follow them.
We had been sitting in the 3rd row from the front and as I made my way out I looked at Don Williams and he looked at me(less than 30 feet away). The look in his eyes was not anger or disgust at us disrupting his song. It was pure HURT......I'm no mind reader but I swear he was wondering what he had done wrong that would make us walk out in the middle of his show.
I feel terrible about it to this very day. If I ever have the honor of meeting Mr. Williams in person, you can bet I will be apologizing.

Good story, thought it didn't have a happy ending; you can tell from it that you are a good and caring person. And Yes, that was rude of the people you were with. It wouldn't have hurt to sit there a little longer.

I've always liked Don Williams music. Soothing.

When in W. Montana some of our friends were friends with the fellow that was with Hank Williams Jr. when he fell off the mountain. Hank was there hunting and we were invited to a private jam session at the local Moose Lodge. Boy, was that fun! Hank Williams can play anything, anytime and anywhere. We were duly impressed with his musical ability. It was something we will never forget. Just a few couples in a little town in an old Moose Lodge being entertained by Hank Williams Jr.

What ever happened to another Canadian talent, Michele Wright??? She has a beautiful voice that almost anyone can sing along with without giving themselves a hernia!! :D

ranchwife said:
Anyone remember Johnny Rodriguez??? How about Don Williams??? C.W. McCall??? and who was the silver haired man who sang "hey, did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world"??? who was the woman who sang "Teddy Bear"??? What about Mel Tillis?? What about Ronnie Milsap??? Sylvia??? Alabama??? The Oak Ridge Boys (all-time favorites of my childhood)?? :shock:

I love Don Williams. I named my daughter after his song "Amanda"

You and me both Hanta Yo, that's why our daughter is named Amanda too, Don Williams, " The Gentle Giant" I dont know why I didnt list him on the previous thread ....cuz he is one of my all time favorites. Mr Lilly and a date, and I and a nother fella, went to see him together way back in highschool. That was kinda the start of our friendship.........that led to us gittin married. August 2004 he took me to a Don Williams concert for our 20th anniversary. And that man looks exactly the same as he did 20 years ago, sounds the same too. Love his voice.

Almost forgot Don Williams, he was hot and then kinda disappeared. I think he lives near Yakima, Washington....

Ok, I grew up listening to my dads favorite, Charley Pride,

PPRM

It is pretty hard to improve upon the Statler Brothers, and the Oak Ridge Boys are another great group. Don't forget the wonderful harmony of Dave and Sugar. Peter, Paul and Mary and the Kingston Trio are good ol' folk singers.

The Bar J Wranglers are a top-notch cowboy band from Jackson, Wyoming. Other nifty bands from that area were Tarwater and also the Sawmill Creek band.

Has anyone ever heard of the Maines Brothers, they were a band of brothers from Lubbock Back in the late 70s and 80s. My brothers went to school with them. I've had 4 of their cassettes for years now, and dont know if they've ever made anymore. They mostly played locally, and never really made it "big". I loved their music. One of ems daughter is Natalie Maines. of the Dixie Chicks, however I never was too fond of her music or her attitude.

I forgot about Clay Walker and Wade Hayes. They are really good, IMO.

What happened to Wade Hayes, you never see anything of his anymore?
I would like to know, just curious, I guess.

I agree about the Bellamy Brothers. Missed thier concert in Bowman, ND with regret, because it was so HOT when they were there. My husband hides when it gets that hot.

We had the incredible fortune of meeting Soapweed, Peach Blossom and Brock (he'd rather we didn't call him the Cosmo Kid) while we were at the Black Hills Stock Show. Soapweed pointed out a CD by Kyle Evans and right now that is our favorite CD. I would have passsed right by if Soapweed hadn't told us how good it was.

So thanks, Soapweed, and meeting you and your family was the highlight of the whole Stock Show as far as we were concerned.

Marty Campbell is a local talent I have mentioned. I gave a presentation last night in Dayton Washington on Cattle Handling, corrals and Equipment. During thier meeting, they mentioned he had entertained there. After each show, he will generally sell all the CD's he brought in and have to go out and get more from his rig,

I think there's lots of talented locals that have other Life Events they ar more resposible to than chasing after a Nashville Carreer,

PPRM

Latest posts