• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Schweitzer orders cattle inspection

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam said:
You claim there are places in the US that don't know what a brand is so how can you use your brand system for a National ID system? :? And just how many of the USDA appoved feedlots that will be excepting these Canadian cattle would you say don't know that the cattle are to be branded with a C A N when they get off that truck and what it means? :? I would guess that there will be a paper trail of how many cattle were brought into the feedlot and how many are sent to slaughter and if the numbers don't jive someone will be out checking to see why. As far as the firewalls R-CALF seems to like to quote the OIE but they seem to forget the little OIE rule saying
"The importing country cannot be more trade restrictive than necessary to achieve the desired national level of protection, and that it's measures must not be different from those applied to products within the domestic market"
since our firewalls are stricter than yours, you can't us your firewall problems to hold up trading with us. Maybe R-CALF should have bought an Ad in the Washington Post to inform Congress of your loopholes instead of telling them about the Safest beef in the world because of your highest standards in the world. Maybe then they would have got to work on the loopholes instead of writing threatening letter to Japan for not taking your beef. And if you don't trust your system to produce safe beef why should Japan Korea or even Canada as far as that goes. Oldtimer did you bother to read the court of appeals ruling about R-CALF's arguments. Not one argument stood under appeal. You were the one that has been spouting let the courts decide. And they did, all three appeal court judges ruled against Cebulls ruling on all counts. So do you think the courts have spoke loud enough in saying this border should be open according to science and world trade rules? Let the courts Decide Oldtimer

Well Tam- You better hope USDA's position that we have enough firewalls is right- since the Canadian industry is tied to the shirttails of the US industry and if we go down the toilet you will pass us on the way to the cesspool.....Hopefully a year or two down the line more and more cases don't start appearing or the ultimate disaster- in 10 or 20 years vCJD cases begin appearing- tied back to cattle from North America.......What kind of a North American Beef Industry will there be then?

Its too bad the corporate world has gotten so much power that the government will put trade and trade rules in front of safety......With all the questions and unkowns I still believe this is an issue on which the government and the industry should error on the side of safety.....

What kind of a North American Beef Industry will there be then?
So we are back to a North American Beef industry are we. :wink:
Oldtimer everytime we increase our slaughter capacity in Canada the grip we have on that shirt tail lessens. The fact we have proof of compliance to our stricter feed bans with a history of yearly inspections and we are doing the 4D testing that is excepted of us with the world recognised test. Put that with the fact we have a National ID system that works and can age verify with birth date and we don't have a beef organization handing Anti beef groups a loaded gun I think we are in a better position to survive.

USDA BSE Minimal Risk Regions Rules Explained
The border between Canada and the U.S. is open to live cattle shipments for the first time since a case of BSE was confirmed in Alberta in May 2003. There has been some confusion regarding the process of when cattle are destined for Montana, and some clarifying information would be beneficial to Montana livestock producers, as well as the citizens of Montana.

USDA has initiated BSE Minimal Risk Regions Rules to be followed when cattle are destined for specific states. The regulations require cattle to be inspected in Canada, at the port of entry, and at the destination. The process is outlined as follows:
Cattle are inspected in Canada and the trucks are sealed with a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) seal.

At the border, all bovines are presented to the USDA port veterinarian under a declaration of importation. The port veterinarian inspects the animals and the health certificates to determine that they are less than 30 months of age, non-pregnant, have the Canada brand and have individual ID.

When feeder cattle arrive at the border, the CFIA seal is broken and the cattle are off-loaded and inspected. A USDA seal is then applied to the load. Sealed shipments must be moved directly from the port of entry as a group to the feedlot identified.

Cattle for slaughter are not off-loaded, but visually verified in the sealed truck. The CFIA seal remains until the shipment arrives at the slaughter facility.

When cattle arrive at a Montana feedlot or slaughter facility, only a state or USDA-accredited veterinarian can break the USDA or CFIA seal and certify the cattle are the same cattle inspected at the port of entry.

Under USDA's own regulations, a state cannot simply accept the paperwork completed at the port of entry. The cattle must remain under a veterinarian's supervision and must be inspected and tested a second time with written and signed forms completed and returned to USDA. The cost to complete this USDA-required certification may be charged by the veterinarian, but no additional requirements or costs are mandated by the state.
Currently, no feedlots in Montana have requested approval to receive these restricted feeder cattle. One Montana slaughter plant has applied for approval to receive cattle for slaughter under the USDA regulations.

Governor Schweitzer and the Montana Department of Livestock will continue to work to protect the Montana livestock industry and consumers. We will inspect and test cattle coming from Canada, just as we inspect and test cattle coming from our 49 other states, as required under state and federal regulations.

USDA BSE Minimal Risk Regions Rules and other USDA protocol is available at

Oldtimer:
since Canada is going to push for further opening of the border which could easily mean bringing in post feed ban infected OTM cattle which without the US firewalls all in place could mean a much higher risk of infecting our cattle-
Good reasoning for Canadians Oldtimer.

We only need to send down OTM BEEF not OTM cattle. That way we can keep the jobs in Canada and avoid the huge holes in your firewalls you like to use as a crutch.

Perfect situation. You are happy because we are not adding to your risk and Canadians are really the big winner. :wink:

Bill said:
Oldtimer:
since Canada is going to push for further opening of the border which could easily mean bringing in post feed ban infected OTM cattle which without the US firewalls all in place could mean a much higher risk of infecting our cattle-

We only need to send down OTM BEEF not OTM cattle. That way we can keep the jobs in Canada and avoid the huge holes in your firewalls you like to use as a crutch.

Perfect situation. You are happy because we are not adding to your risk and Canadians are really the big winner. :wink:

But Bill- you are adding to the risk.....Not counting the increased risk to humans you forget that table scraps from that OTM beef you send down gets fed back to ruminants under US law- adding to the risk of infecting more cattle and further perpetuating the disease cycle.......

In the past few years schools in Canada and the USA are fighting to control bullying. I wonder how young people are supposed to know it is wrong when they watch a larger, stronger country use the same tactics as school bullies wanting to get their own way. We tell the kids it is not right to tell lies about someone who they believe threatens them, yet US groups like R Calf, and individuals like OT do it all the time.

These groups and individuals do not want to hear that Canada's testing is better, only that Canada has had 4 native born cases, more than the US at present. Don't you think that is because Canada has been testing more cattle, Canada has been using a test that works and Canada has been testing the highest risk groups of cattle? The USA does not test as high a percentage of total cattle as Canada does, USA has been using a test that is often not accurate to test cattle that are not likel;y to be positive anyway.

I'm sure my argument won't help any to change how these groups/people think, just as the bullied child at school cannot talk their larger, stronger bullier out of picking on him.

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer:

But Bill- you are adding to the risk.....Not counting the increased risk to humans you forget that table scraps from that OTM beef you send down gets fed back to ruminants under US law- adding to the risk of infecting more cattle and further perpetuating the disease cycle.......
You seem to keep forgetting Oldtimer, the US HAS BSE and you keep telling us how inadequate the US firewalls are! Real boost for consumer confidence isn't it? :???:

Following your flawed reasoning, the more beef coming out of the Canadian system with its superior checks and balances, the more it lessens the risk to the US consumer.

By the way to the rest of you who aren't using this as a last ditch excuse like OT and the rest of the R-halfers, I believe US beef to be entirely safe and enjoy it whenever I am in your fine country. Watch chicken and pork gain on beef consumption while Leo and Co. break R-Calf and continue to pad their own pockets with their P..ass T..he L..oot ministry.

Border rancher said:
In the past few years schools in Canada and the USA are fighting to control bullying. I wonder how young people are supposed to know it is wrong when they watch a larger, stronger country use the same tactics as school bullies wanting to get their own way. We tell the kids it is not right to tell lies about someone who they believe threatens them, yet US groups like R Calf, and individuals like OT do it all the time.

These groups and individuals do not want to hear that Canada's testing is better, only that Canada has had 4 native born cases, more than the US at present. Don't you think that is because Canada has been testing more cattle, Canada has been using a test that works and Canada has been testing the highest risk groups of cattle? The USA does not test as high a percentage of total cattle as Canada does, USA has been using a test that is often not accurate to test cattle that are not likel;y to be positive anyway.

I'm sure my argument won't help any to change how these groups/people think, just as the bullied child at school cannot talk their larger, stronger bullier out of picking on him.

Border rancher- What lie did I tell about you or Canada?

Canada has more cases-Period...... Canada has what scientists call a cluster area- Period.... Even the Canadian government estimates there could be 12+ more cases of BSE "found" during testing in Canada-Period......

Importing in more Canadian cattle and beef will increase the risk to US cattle because the corporate controlled USDA and FDA have never put the recommended feed firewalls in place- No matter if its already here, the more concentration you add to an area increases the risk--Period....

Is that simple enough for even a Canadian to understand-Period.....

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
You seem to keep forgetting Oldtimer, the US HAS BSE and you keep telling us how inadequate the US firewalls are! Real boost for consumer confidence isn't it? :???:

Why did Canada ban chicken litter and table scraps---Because your science says it was a needed firewall- USDA and FDA "economic science" say the opposite....Just a fact--Our economic science doesn't give me a strong feeling of confidence......

Like I told Tam--Canada better hope that these loopholes are not needed in the firewalls- or else it could mean economic ruin for both countries industries in the future......

OT, with your help, I understand just fine!

I understand that Canada should not accept any beef from the US, because even with your poor testing procedures you have found 1 native born animal, that could well mean you have millions infected with BSE!

I understand Canada should stop all imports of US beef, especially from the Dakotas until their anthrax problem is cleared up.

I understand that Canada should not import any feed at all from the US as my friend in Washinton state tells me that a news article appears in their paper every few weeks about a feed plant there being charged again for putting at risk materials in their feed.

I thought these were isolated incidents and localized problems. But, now you have enlightened me, I understand they are "clusters" and we had better not accept any product related in any way to these "clusters".

Border rancher said:
OT, with your help, I understand just fine!

I understand Canada should stop all imports of US beef, especially from the Dakotas until their anthrax problem is cleared up.

You better stop importing from everywhere if your worried about anthrax-it shows up in many parts of the country ever so often- brought on by the weather and moisture conditions....You may have spores in your own soil that will show up every 50 years or so......And my understanding is that the Dakota cattle are quarantined until the outbreak is brought under control- which was the normal practice with diseases- until the corporate world changed the rules for Canadas BSE.....

Oldtimer said:
Border rancher said:

Canada has more cases-Period...... Canada has what scientists call a cluster area- Period.... Even the Canadian government estimates there could be 12+ more cases of BSE "found" during testing in Canada-Period......

Importing in more Canadian cattle and beef will increase the risk to US cattle because the corporate controlled USDA and FDA have never put the recommended feed firewalls in place- No matter if its already here, the more concentration you add to an area increases the risk--Period....

One huge correction Oldtimer, Canada has had more IDENTIFIED cases. How many more cases has USDA projected could be "found" in the US now that the first one has been admitted to and the proper testing protocol is being used? Hey why don't y'all raise the bar and take all the tests from the 4-D population.:lol: :lol: :lol: This is getting old Oldtimer. Fess up, open the border to OTM Canadian beef and start worrying about the real competition. Is that simple enough for you to understand? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Border rancher said:

One huge correction Oldtimer, Canada has had more IDENTIFIED cases. How many more cases has USDA projected could be "found" in the US now that the first one has been admitted to and the proper testing protocol is being used? Hey why don't y'all raise the bar and take all the tests from the 4-D population.:lol: :lol: :lol: This is getting old Oldtimer. Fess up, open the border to OTM Canadian beef and start worrying about the real competition. Is that simple enough for you to understand? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you Bill- Our testing is in question, which leaves us not knowing the true extent of the disease... That is the reason I think we need to go back to square one- do the adequate testing, including 4 D's- not end it now like the USDA is talking about ...But we also need to close the loopholes in the BSE firewalls (chicken litter, table scraps, blood in milk replacer, etc)- and we should not be opening up imports from countries already known to have BSE ( and that have post feedban cases appearing) until we get a true idea of our problem and the BSE firewall loopholes closed...Especially not OTM beef or cattle that would introduce an increased access to more prions getting into US cattle thru some ignorant US producers chicken sh*t feeding program or some feed companies use of blood or bloodmeal in ruminant feed products :( .......

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

I agree with you Bill- Our testing is in question, which leaves us not knowing the true extent of the disease... That is the reason I think we need to go back to square one- do the adequate testing, including 4 D's- not end it now like the USDA is talking about ...But we also need to close the loopholes in the BSE firewalls (chicken litter, table scraps, blood in milk replacer, etc)- and we should not be opening up imports from countries already known to have BSE ( and that have post feedban cases appearing) until we get a true idea of our problem and the BSE firewall loopholes closed...Especially not OTM beef or cattle that would introduce an increased access to more prions getting into US cattle thru some ignorant US producers chicken sh*t feeding program or some feed companies use of blood or bloodmeal in ruminant feed products :( .......
OT your going to be about as successful as a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest convincing anyone one of that. OTMs going across aren't far away. :wink:

Oldtimer I would like to know if you support the US Senates threats of trade sanction on Japan if they don't take US beef. As I understand it your Montana Senators both sides of the table are behind the threats.

Oldtimer wrote:
I agree with you Bill- Our testing is in question, which leaves us not knowing the true extent of the disease... That is the reason I think we need to go back to square one- do the adequate testing, including 4 D's- not end it now like the USDA is talking about ...But we also need to close the loopholes in the BSE firewalls (chicken litter, table scraps, blood in milk replacer, etc)- and we should not be opening up imports from countries already known to have BSE ( and that have post feedban cases appearing) until we get a true idea of our problem and the BSE firewall loopholes closed...Especially not OTM beef or cattle that would introduce an increased access to more prions getting into US cattle thru some ignorant US producers chicken sh*t feeding program or some feed companies use of blood or bloodmeal in ruminant feed products ......."

Care to make a correction OT??
( and that have post feedban cases appearing) caseS??

Tam said:
Oldtimer I would like to know if you support the US Senates threats of trade sanction on Japan if they don't take US beef. As I understand it your Montana Senators both sides of the table are behind the threats.

Tam- I think and have always thought that USDA should have allowed Creekstone and the other packers that wanted to test for the Asian trade be allowed to--Give the consumers what they want...USDA already has the BEV program set up working out of several slaughter houses for some of our export customer countries- go one step further and allow testing for the Japanese....

I agree with Agman that any WTO filing will take forever-- and it could muddy the waters even worse...Even if we won, we can't force the customers to buy it...As far as I'm concerned the whole WTO is as big a joke as the UN- we should have got out of both of them....

The MSGA was pushing hard for the trade sanctions, so that is probably the reason the Senators are supporting it......

S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer wrote:
I agree with you Bill- Our testing is in question, which leaves us not knowing the true extent of the disease... That is the reason I think we need to go back to square one- do the adequate testing, including 4 D's- not end it now like the USDA is talking about ...But we also need to close the loopholes in the BSE firewalls (chicken litter, table scraps, blood in milk replacer, etc)- and we should not be opening up imports from countries already known to have BSE ( and that have post feedban cases appearing) until we get a true idea of our problem and the BSE firewall loopholes closed...Especially not OTM beef or cattle that would introduce an increased access to more prions getting into US cattle thru some ignorant US producers chicken sh*t feeding program or some feed companies use of blood or bloodmeal in ruminant feed products ......."

Care to make a correction OT??
( and that have post feedban cases appearing) caseS??

I wasn't talking only of Canada-- dropping our standards for Canada could open us up to having to take beef from UK, Japan, and others.....

Latest posts