• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sell Calves?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

S.S.A.P. said:
How many "rabid" cows have you had Oldtimer?

SSAP- We have only had one case about 40 years ago- altho there may have been more, because many times when you finally find the cow they are just a pile of bones- never know what killed them.... But I have seen and been called to several cases- know of one fellow that had 2 cases in one year....

And rabies is nothing to play around with- pretty contagious if you get near enough to be in contact with the saliva-- I've seen several people and even a whole family that had to go thru the old rabies shots series because they had not known what they had and tried to doctor the critter- and exposed themselves to the disease...

BMR,

Im the same way I have a couple covered up in snow in the stack yard.. I call it the deep freeze! hOPE TO GET RESULTS BACK THIS WEEK!

The last person to die of rabies in Canada was one of my sister's friends in highschool-a bat bite-so it definately isn't to be taken lightly.

Buckskin & Oldtimer; THE only thing that will affect the markets on March 7 is the credibility of the exagerations and outright lies that have been brought forward against the Canadian industry. If fear overrules common sense who should shoulder the blame? I for one don't feel many feeder calves will move south. We have mountains of nearly worthless, unmarketable feed ( frost damaged) and our cost of gain is lower ; our dollar has appreciated considerably; trucking capacity is diminished and the new border protocols will be a hassle. Our slaughter capacity is expanding and they'll have to be competitive to US plants to retain kill levels. Last I heard the Alberta plants were only killing 4 days a week, not enough fats right now !
On the surveillance front the CFIA is getting excellent response ( over 5000 4d tests in Jan. alone). We just put down 4 old subject cows for testing and as expected they came back negative. Our industry is pulling out all the stops to put this disease behind us in a responsible and scientifically approved manner. That is how markets are regained!

Aaron said:
I agree with Oldtimer for the most part. Probably be steers across the board that take the biggest hit in the US. I too think they will drop $10-15, especially if producers free up the calves that were part of the set-aside program. Don't see a big change in heifer or cow prices, on either side of the border, coming. Since your in Montana, I would suggest you at least sell your steer calves if the US market is good right now.

The vast majority of calves put in the set aside were heifers.

S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
PS why would you shoot a cow unless she was a subject cancer eye or lump jaw when she would be worth a couple hundred dollars.

Oldtimer why don't you run up to Assinaboia some Wednesday and check out the sale.

Big Muddy- I should get up there sometime- but kind of tied to the place for a while...Daughter works out of town 4-5 days a week and I end up playing grandpa- don't think Canada is ready for my grandkids....

Something I was wondering- how many people are calling to have cows tested this last month? It wouldn't be worth $10,000 head if you were the one that had a cow tested that came back positive a week before the border was supposed to open...... Just makes you wonder....

"Something I was wondering- how many people are calling to have cows tested this last month? It wouldn't be worth $10,000 head if you were the one that had a cow tested that came back positive a week before the border was supposed to open...... Just makes you wonder...

This reasoning could also be applied to the USA .... regaining their Japanese market......... just makes you wonder

About as many as US producers have submitted over the past twelve months off farm/rances. Not many.

Clarence said:
Some time back Agman posted that if we do not re-gain the Japanese market, when the border opens we will experience a price drop of from $6.50 to $10 cwt. In about 2 weeks we most likely will find out if he is right. Even if the Japanese decide to take our beef it will be a long time before we can export there at the same level as we did before Dec. 2003.

One positive thing I see is that the last two BSE cows found in Canada has not done anything to hurt consumer confidence. If one was found in the US now it would have little effect either.

"If one was found in the US now it would have little effect either"

But R-CALF and LMA are trying to change that on behalf of the American rancher.

While I am waiting for the drugs to work I was reading posts I missed.

"We tested 5 here too-ohh telll leo he can breath again the bull i bought from him tested negative."

My question is, of all the cattle in the world tested for BSE have any come back in bulls. Would be pretty hard to keep a steer that long, but just a thought. Maybe this is a women problem like PMS as it makes a mad women.

How much of them drugs have you taken? They're clouding your judgement on what you post! Them's almost fightin' words!

Oldtimer said:
CattleAnnie said:
Q. If you discovered one of your cows wobbling around in the pasture, how eager would you (as an American producer and seeing the impact that BSE positive cattle have made on the Canadian cattle industry) be to have that cow tested?

Q. Also, would you (not trying to imply anything untoward, but as a vote of confidence in the USDA BSE testing system) volunteer to send an additional sample from that same cow to an independant lab - say Great Britain.

CattleAnnie- I don't know for sure what I'd do- situation hasn't arose yet... I know there has been no push or program locally for testing anything on farm--I don't even know if they are lined up to take samples- I know I probably wouldn't if I had to pay the vet bill and the testing cost- just to have it probably come back rabies.....

I have no problem with USDA using a second lab for retesting positives- Anything that reduces the perception of impropriety.......

Oldtimer
Without the spin your answer is no and no, why didn't you just answer the question and get it over with. Why the devil does everyone think they have to spin,spin, spin :roll: People must be planing on going into polotics!

Latest posts