• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Should of/Could of been happening 2 years Ago

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Creekstone Farms to ship first exports to Japan this weekend

ARKANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A Kansas meat processor that made international headlines after the Agriculture Department refused to allow it to voluntarily test all cattle for mad cow disease will resume exports to Japan.

Creekstone Farms Premium Beef will begin shipments this weekend, company officials said.

"This is a long-awaited, wonderful gift for our employees and for the community," said John Stewart, Creekstone's chief executive officer and founder. Stewart and other company officials were at the Arkansas City plant Friday to oversee preparation of the shipment.

Japan banned imports of American beef in December 2003 after the first U.S. case of mad cow disease was reported in a Washington state dairy cow later traced to Canada. At that time, Japan represented 25 percent of Creekstone's sales.

Tokyo lifted the ban Monday on beef from U.S. cows younger than 21 months.

Creekstone asked permission from the Department of Agriculture in February 2004 to allow testing for mad cow disease of all the cattle slaughtered at its Arkansas City plant. Its request was denied.

"It's been challenging," Stewart said of Creekstone's efforts to re-establish trade.

Two Creekstone customer representatives from Japan were in Arkansas City this week to arrange for the export shipment.

"They were here looking at product; they took a lot of pictures," said Rich Swearingen, Creekstone's vice president for international and ethnic sales.

The first export shipment to Japan consists of 34,000 pounds of chilled beef including various cuts of meat, officials said. It will be loaded into an ocean container that will leave from a port in Oakland, Calif., on Tuesday and is scheduled to arrive in Tokyo on Jan. 2.

A total of six containers, each with 34,000 pounds of products, will be shipped to Japan by next week.

"We have 2 million pounds already sold to Japan," Swearingen said. "We're now working on sales for late January and February."

Where is your proof that Japan would have allowed BSE tested beef 2 years ago?

I have never seen Japan state anything about accepting BSE tested beef ever?

OT, you are such a hypocrite. On one hand you call selling foreign beef under the USDA inspection stamp "FRAUD" because some consumers might think that "USDA" means "U.S. BEEF" when 5% MIGHT BE ......GASP.....FOREIGN BEEF??????

"LIONS, AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY"!

On the other hand he supports allowing Creekstone to sell "BSE TESTED" beef from tests that would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age.

REAL CONSISTENCY IN YOUR ARGUMENTS THERE MR. LAW DOG.

YUP, SHOR NUFF UPSTANDING MR. LAW DOG SHOR DON'T WANT TO DECEIVE THEM THAR CONUMERS, YUP....PETUI....SPLAT!

Another R-CULT phony revealed!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Where is your proof that Japan would have allowed BSE tested beef 2 years ago?

I have never seen Japan state anything about accepting BSE tested beef ever?

OT, you are such a hypocrite. On one hand you call selling foreign beef under the USDA inspection stamp "FRAUD" because some consumers might think that "USDA" means "U.S. BEEF" when 5% MIGHT BE ......GASP.....FOREIGN BEEF??????

"LIONS, AND TIGERS AND BEARS, OH MY"!

On the other hand he supports allowing Creekstone to sell "BSE TESTED" beef from tests that would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age.

REAL CONSISTENCY IN YOUR ARGUMENTS THERE MR. LAW DOG.

YUP, SHOR NUFF UPSTANDING MR. LAW DOG SHOR DON'T WANT TO DECEIVE THEM THAR CONUMERS, YUP....PETUI....SPLAT!

Another R-CULT phony revealed!

~SH~

Forgot your Prozac again today didn't you? :lol: :lol:

SH,So you don't think that todays urine BSE tests could ID a animal that carries BSE Pirons at any age ? huh?( tests that would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age.SH) Your TESTS or My TESTS?Creekstone's TESTS or Japans TESTS

SOoo WE know BSE has been in the USA. WE know the June 2004 Enhanced BSE surveillance was nothing more than a surveillance system to hide any BSE and they could not even get that right after 7+ months of trying, the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG proved Johanns wrong and have that negative proven postive. OF course they did manage to screw up another one without using WB and THEY did cover-up another mad cow in TEXAS, then admitted they screwed that up (FDA website). IN fact, I question the whole 500,000 plus cattle tested in the June 2004 Enhanced BSE cover-up. THE only cow we have proven was negative IHC and only proven positive with WB. NO WB were used on the 500,000 cattle in the Enhanced June 04 cover-up, except the one the Honorable Phyllis Fong made them retest, that I am aware of. IN FACT, of those same 500,000 cattle, 9,200 did not have either rapid test OR WB, only IHC, the least likely to find it. WE know Marsh et al had proven a strain of TSE was in USA cattle long ago, via TME and the feed source there i.e. 95%+ dead stock downer cattle feeder. WE now have other strains of TSE in cattle BASE that is not similar to nvCJD but very similar to sCJD. WE know in the USA, when US scrapie are fed to cattle, it does not look like the UKBSE in the infected cow. WHAT about GSS infectivity in blood? WHAT about CWD? THE myth that Scrapie does not transmit to humans is another myth. SCRAPIE in sheep will transmit freely to primate by it's non-forced ORAL consumption. Also a myth,there is not a way to detect BSE pirions in animals under 24 months ,Fact is BSE pirons can be detected at any age from the fetus to any age using the correct test.

They are From Canada or can't you remember when you made comments back in July on the same issue Posted HERE;By bse-tester
Member on Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:48 am Post subject: Urine Test
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada If I have a cow named Betty Ann, should I write that name in to please my duaghter or to confuse the pathology lab? Only kidding Mike. We are extremely confident that it will work. I have been provided the forms for application to receive some Scrapie infected urine and will send them off to get some to conduct our validation at CWRU in Cleveland this Fall. Some folks on this board still seem to think that by removing the SRM's from a carcass, renders the entire remaining carcass free of any infectious prions. I do not understand that line of thinking. It is like removing the boils from a plague infested human and then declaring him, or her plague free!! I just want to say that the SRM removal is one way of removing tissue that is known to collect prions in great numbers. However, if the animal is indeed infected with the disease causing agent, the PrPsc, then the entire animal is infected, not just selctive tissue and it is about time that people started to wrap their heads around that fact. Even if the animal is younger than 30 months or older, it matters not. Granted, the risk of a younger than 30 month animal breaking out with BSE is now reduced since the feed ban came into effect, but one must remember that not all feed mills followed the ban and there was no recall - zero - of feed that was stored by ranchers and producers and it was still used until all gone. Some ranchers kept feed for months after the ban and we know that some feed producers here in Canada and in Europe have been busted for not abiding by the ban. Also, let us not forget that incredible stroke of wisdom by the authorities that stated although we are bannig the feed, we are still going to feed it to pigs and chickens and then folk, we will still allow cattle to feed on the remains of pigs and chickens that we render into cattle feed. Talk about a tainted process and a political nightmare that all politicians seem to want to avoid when the question of banning feed on the one hand and then feeding it right back to the cattle by means of another route. Our test will be a terrific "Risk Management Tool." Ron.

yea I remember that poster but I still don't see where that test is proven or marketed. So i don't know BSE tester from Adam and don't know if the test even exists. It would be nice if it was that easy.

The test even exists but we can't import it into the us because of usda laws.I can buy test's for a lot of things here in the US. but not one that can protect my health or my cattle from bse.

Try to get it over the internet, OT probably has an internet address where you can buy all of the Canadian unapproved drugs and tests!!!

PORKER,

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL????

Creekstone's own Fielding stated that the tests they planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age. Perhaps you should clue Fielding in to your urine test and sell him some Ginzu knives while you're at it.

I smell a "FAST BUCK ARTIST" in the wind.

~SH~

SH wrote
Creekstone's own Fielding stated that the tests they planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age.

Quite a stretch there Scott. To my knowledge, Fielding DID NOT say that.

He did say that he could not personally guarantee a test.

Given that his testing proposal would have had USDA oversight, and knowing what we know now about their inept and outdated methods, I can't say that I blame him.

The Japs request that a sample of brain accompany each animal shipped says a lot about their confidence in the USDA tests also.

The test that Creekstone planned to use was the only "Rapid" kit that the USDA had approved so far. There were MANY other kits out there used in EUROPE extensively that the USDA had not approved, that were proven to be much more sensitive than the "Gold Standard" IHC which could not be used in younger animals because of the highly erratic "interpretations" required.

Understand this; IHC identifies vacuoles (holes) in the brain were prions are present. Rapid tests finds prions through chemical reaction. Therefore the rapid tests can find prions at a much earlier age. Some less than 24 months.

Don't make me call you out and ask you to "PROVE" that Fielding made the statement you claimed. Because you cannot. Besides there was no "AGE" requirement on the cattle that Creekstone was to ship to Japan. Only that they be tested. Period.

~SH~ said:
PORKER,

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL????

Creekstone's own Fielding stated that the tests they planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age. Perhaps you should clue Fielding in to your urine test and sell him some Ginzu knives while you're at it.

I smell a "FAST BUCK ARTIST" in the wind.

~SH~

If Fielding said that (which he didn't), how could you say that Creekstone was involved in deception? :roll:

BSing again, SH? How do you put that, "Making baseless empty statetments"?

You're a dandy

Oh give me a frickin' break Sandbag and Mike!

Fielding said and I quote "BSE TESTED does not mean BSE FREE". That's an admission that the tests he planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age.

Don't try to bullsh*t me!

Fielding knew damn well that the tests he planned to use would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age OR HE WOULD HAVE TOUTED HIS TESTS AS BETTER THAN USDA'S. Who the hell do you think you are kidding?

Moot point anyway because Japan saw the light.

Sandbag,

Leave it to a deceiver like you to immediately latch on to something you wanted to hear. What a spineless coward. You knew Fielding had admitted that "BSE TESTED" does not mean "BSE FREE" and now you start changing your story to what you want to believe again. PATHETIC @%*&@@&*~!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Oh give me a frickin' break Sandbag and Mike!

Fielding said and I quote "BSE TESTED does not mean BSE FREE". That's an admission that the tests he planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age.

Don't try to bullsh*t me!

Fielding knew damn well that the tests he planned to use would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age OR HE WOULD HAVE TOUTED HIS TESTS AS BETTER THAN USDA'S. Who the hell do you think you are kidding?

Moot point anyway because Japan saw the light.

Sandbag,

Leave it to a deceiver like you to immediately latch on to something you wanted to hear. What a spineless coward. You knew Fielding had admitted that "BSE TESTED" does not mean "BSE FREE" and now you start changing your story to what you want to believe again. PATHETIC @%*&@@&*~!

~SH~

SH, if the Japs wanted all of the cattle sold to them palpated before slaughter and were willing to pay for it as a condition of selling cattle to Japan, then so what? It is really immaterial what you want. It was what the buyer wanted. If you keep leaving the buyers out of your little equations, you will lose them. That is the problem with these type of decisions being so political. They allow decisions that help those they want to help instead of letting the market decide. That creates inefficiencies and leaves the current market powers on top. It is part of the problem with concentration of power, both political and market power.

Except the customer isn't always right.

I watched a news interview with a retailer that said consumers need to be educated about different things in the stores like beef and produce.

Canada has already been involved in educating consumers as to what cuts of beef are suitable for different cooking methods.

Retailers were getting too many people buying a tougher cut of meat and complaining that on the BBQ it wasn't tender. They have also been getting complaints about the appearance of some produce not chemically treated. Some people think apples naturally look like a turtle wax finish.

Japan needed to be educated about the difference in our slaughter system and theirs. Most of their beef is from dairy cows, and older than 20 months. The US/Canadian beef is younger and better genetics, BSE isn't running rampant, safegards are in place.

Using your arguments, when it comes to consumer safety, why not let private companies approve drugs rather than the FDA???

SAME LOGIC!

Palpating cows is not a consumer safety issue, BSE testing is.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Oh give me a frickin' break Sandbag and Mike! Fielding said and I quote "BSE TESTED does not mean BSE FREE". That's an admission that the tests he planned to use would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age. Don't try to bullsh*t me!"

That is not an admission by even the furthest stretch. You're putting words in his mouth same as you do with us - certainly less than honest. He said nothing about age nor even implied anything about age. Stick to the facts Mr. "my only bias is the truth".

Now, with Fieldings exact words before us, where is the deception you speak of? How can he make it any clearer?

SH, "Fielding knew damn well that the tests he planned to use would not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age OR HE WOULD HAVE TOUTED HIS TESTS AS BETTER THAN USDA'S. Who the hell do you think you are kidding?"

You can't even understand his direct 7-word statements, but you know what he thinks unsaid? :lol: :lol:

SH, "Moot point anyway because Japan saw the light."

Yeah, they have. I guess you missed all those stories of the majority of Japanese consumers saying they still won't buy untested US beef"

SH, "Sandbag, Leave it to a deceiver like you to immediately latch on to something you wanted to hear. What a spineless coward. You knew Fielding had admitted that "BSE TESTED" does not mean "BSE FREE" and now you start changing your story to what you want to believe again. PATHETIC @%*&@@&*~!"

What story did I change? I know exactly what Fielding said and what he meant - it isn't hard to understand. It only becomes difficult for some who want to imply meanings that aren't there.

Jason said:
Except the customer isn't always right.

I watched a news interview with a retailer that said consumers need to be educated about different things in the stores like beef and produce.

Canada has already been involved in educating consumers as to what cuts of beef are suitable for different cooking methods.

Retailers were getting too many people buying a tougher cut of meat and complaining that on the BBQ it wasn't tender. They have also been getting complaints about the appearance of some produce not chemically treated. Some people think apples naturally look like a turtle wax finish.

Japan needed to be educated about the difference in our slaughter system and theirs. Most of their beef is from dairy cows, and older than 20 months. The US/Canadian beef is younger and better genetics, BSE isn't running rampant, safegards are in place.

Jason, I don't have a disagreement with you at all on this post except to point out that consumuers (the japs in this case) have the ability to make their own decisions and decide what to pick up and buy or not. If they want a more safe system of safeguards and they are willing to pay for them, then why deny them? Sounds like your little sales ability should have been put to use with the USDA so your borders were not closed so long. All I see that you did was ask for a taxpayer handout.

~SH~ said:
Using your arguments, when it comes to consumer safety, why not let private companies approve drugs rather than the FDA???

SAME LOGIC!

Palpating cows is not a consumer safety issue, BSE testing is.

~SH~

So Creekstone testing for BSE for the Japanese market with a test the Japanese wanted is a consumer safety issue for the U.S.? Why do you keep making up stuff?

Sandbag: "That is not an admission by even the furthest stretch. You're putting words in his mouth same as you do with us - certainly less than honest. He said nothing about age nor even implied anything about age. Stick to the facts Mr. "my only bias is the truth"."

All right you deceptive little weasel, crunch time:

1. WOULD THE BSE TESTS CREEKSTONE WANTED TO USE REVEAL BSE PRIONS IN CATTLE UNDER 24 MONTHS OF AGE?

Yes or no?

2. WOULD JAPANESE CONSUMERS WHO BOUGHT "BSE TESTED BEEF" ASSUME THAT IT WAS "BSE FREE"?

Yes or no?

This dance is going to stop before it starts.

Sandbag: " Now, with Fieldings exact words before us, where is the deception you speak of? How can he make it any clearer?"

"BSE TESTED" implies "BSE FREE" when Creekstone's test wouldn't reveal BSE prions in cattle under 24 months anyway.

Sandbag: "I guess you missed all those stories of the majority of Japanese consumers saying they still won't buy untested US beef"

Yeh and Colorado residents said they would pay more for U.S. labeled beef and Mike's company has yet to realize a profit in Colorado with U.S. labeled beef. TALK IS CHEAP!

Conman: "If they want a more safe system of safeguards and they are willing to pay for them, then why deny them?"

There is no safeguards when Creekstone's BSE test would not have revealed BSE prions in cattle younger than 24 months anyway.

Conman: "So Creekstone testing for BSE for the Japanese market with a test the Japanese wanted is a consumer safety issue for the U.S.?"

If Japan had really wanted a BSE test that would not reveal BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age, WHY ARE THEY NOT STILL WANTING IT???

I would guess they now understand that "BSE tested" with Creekstone's test did not guarantee "BSE FREE".

The USDA was smart not to give it's consent to a test that implied BSE FREE as opposed to a test that really offered a guarantee of being BSE FREE.

I'm proud of USDA for not condoning consumer fraud.

~SH~

Latest posts