• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sitz

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:
cowsense said:
There ain't nobody better than Ranchers & Farmers at spending when they make a buck! :lol: I'm just amazed at the number of new pickup's & Iron that has been bought this fall.

I totally agree. When they have some money, ranchers and farmer do
spend it. Many times they can invest in something needed to offset
some income tax and show me one rancher/farmer that can't use something
to make their workload easier.

I still haven't figured out how a $30,000 bull makes the workload easier :???: :wink: ....Either I'd have to move him into my bedroom at night or build him an insulated room in the barn so not to worry about his vitals getting froze in our "Little Siberia" weather-- and then I'd still worry that he'd get a leg broke by another one with the first cow he tried to jump ...
But I'd guess bulls at that price don't ever have to worry about living in the real cattle world !!

You know comments like this really bother me OT. You probably don't realize it, but you are bashing seedstock breeders who work at improving their herd, and in this instance you are bashing me. Our program has purchased a $30,000 bull in the past and last spring a $22,500 bull. The first bull ran with cows at our ranch until he was 6 and injured a hip and then got sent down to TX where winters are a little easier on him and he lived there for a couple more years breeding cows. The other bull ran with 53 cows this summer as a yearling. So don't sit there and tell me that high dollar bulls don't work in the real world as I am proof that some do!

BRG said:
Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

I still haven't figured out how a $30,000 bull makes the workload easier :???: :wink: ....Either I'd have to move him into my bedroom at night or build him an insulated room in the barn so not to worry about his vitals getting froze in our "Little Siberia" weather-- and then I'd still worry that he'd get a leg broke by another one with the first cow he tried to jump ...
But I'd guess bulls at that price don't ever have to worry about living in the real cattle world !!

You know comments like this really bother me OT. You probably don't realize it, but you are bashing seedstock breeders who work at improving their herd, and in this instance you are bashing me. Our program has purchased a $30,000 bull in the past and last spring a $22,500 bull. The first bull ran with cows at our ranch until he was 6 and injured a hip and then got sent down to TX where winters are a little easier on him and he lived there for a couple more years breeding cows. The other bull ran with 53 cows this summer as a yearling. So don't sit there and tell me that high dollar bulls don't work in the real world as I am proof that some do!

Geesh, you got your panties in a knot? Most of those bulls over $10,000 are attention grabbers for the sales usually funny money deals anyway. People aren't totally stupid on the purebred business and their cattle marketing schemes. I'd have to agree with oldtimer and if your dad's ranch has purchased a $30k bull, good for it. But if he is blown out by the time he is 6, that doesn't speak well for longevity.

BRG said:
Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:

BRG- did they really buy it-did you-- or was it a money swap back for some of their cattle-- to run the price up in the emotion, commotion, promotion to make them high dollar animals to splash the advertisements and bull pimp pages with to try and make them "bull of the month"... :???:

Its comical when you follow some of the "breeders/duplicators" ( ?) and one goes to a sale and buys a $25,000 bull- and in return he goes to the others sale and buys 2 $12,500 bulls... :roll: Both hoping that some semen corporate will see those big dollar signs and think they can use it to promote/sell semen and jump on board....

The thing to me is that is saddest is the outfits that don't have enough faith in their own breeding program that they have to use someone elses- and play games while doing it...

When I look at buying seedstock- I like to buy into a program- especially a longtime program- and folks that run them like the commercial outfits they sell to...But the comedy of many of these high dollar- emotion, commotion promotion cattle is every bit of the animals pedigree/genetic makeup is bought into-- both sires and cows...

The laugh of one breeder website I frequent was where one outfit bought a $25,000 cow from another- and in turn the buyers went to the sellers sale a week later and bought a $12,500 cow and a $12,000 heifer... The question brought up- was if the auctioneer goofed or the one outfit screwed the others out of $500 in advertising/promotion value :???: :wink: :lol:

And don't tell me it isn't done- because I and many others have watched it for years- and visited with many that have played the game " I have to buy his bull for $10,000 this year because he bought mine for that"..

I'm not saying that happened here- or what you did- as I don't know- but much of the game of the high dollar cattle is a dog and pony show of shuffling papers on fake/funny money... And the higher the dollar goes- the more you can buffalo some of the people into believing their quality...

Oldtimer said:
BRG said:
Oldtimer said:

BRG- did they really buy it-did you-- or was it a money swap back for some of their cattle-- to run the price up in the emotion, commotion, promotion to make them high dollar animals to splash the advertisements and bull pimp pages with to try and make them "bull of the month"... :???:

Its comical when you follow some of the "breeders/duplicators" ( ?) and one goes to a sale and buys a $25,000 bull- and in return he goes to the others sale and buys 2 $12,500 bulls... :roll: Both hoping that some semen corporate will see those big dollar signs and think they can use it to promote/sell semen and jump on board....

The thing to me is that is saddest is the outfits that don't have enough faith in their own breeding program that they have to use someone elses- and play games while doing it...

When I look at buying seedstock- I like to buy into a program- especially a longtime program- and folks that run them like the commercial outfits they sell to...But the comedy of many of these high dollar- emotion, commotion promotion cattle is every bit of the animals pedigree/genetic makeup is bought into-- both sires and cows...

The laugh of one breeder website I frequent was where one outfit bought a $25,000 cow from another- and in the buyers went to the sellers sale a week later and bought a $12,500 cow and a $12,000 heifer... The question brought up- was if the auctioneer goofed or the one outfit screwed the others out of $500 in advertising value :???: :wink: :lol:

And don't tell me it isn't done- because I and many others have watched it for years- and visited with many that have played the game " I have to buy his bull for $10,000 this year because he bought mine for that"..

I'm not saying that happened here as I don't know- but much of the game of the high dollar cattle is a dog and pony show of shuffling papers on fake/funny money... And the higher the dollar goes- the more you can buffalo some of the people into believing their quality...

OT you are something else. Yes for me it was real money! The bull this spring is the first business I have ever done with the program I bought him from, and I don't expect to ever sell them anything. The first bull was also real money! The only other business that has ever been done with them is I purchased a $2500 cow from them and they purchased a $3000 bull from us. So don't tell me we are just swapping money!!!

Your comments prove you don't know much about the seedstock industry. Yes what you talked about happens, but when you throw all the seedstock suppliers in the same group you show your ignorance. The small percent that does it doesn't apply to the majority.

BRG said:
Oldtimer said:
BRG said:

The laugh of one breeder website I frequent was where one outfit bought a $25,000 cow from another- and in the buyers went to the sellers sale a week later and bought a $12,500 cow and a $12,000 heifer... The question brought up- was if the auctioneer goofed or the one outfit screwed the others out of $500 in advertising value :???: :wink: :lol:

I'm not saying that happened here as I don't know- but much of the game of the high dollar cattle is a dog and pony show of shuffling papers on fake/funny money... And the higher the dollar goes- the more you can buffalo some of the people into believing their quality...

OT you are something else. Yes for me it was real money! The bull this spring is the first business I have ever done with the program I bought him from, and I don't expect to ever sell them anything. The first bull was also real money! The only other business that has ever been done with them is I purchased a $2500 cow from them and they purchased a $3000 bull from us. So don't tell me we are just swapping money!!!

BRG- thats great-- but after years of breeding, was that bull really $30,000 better than what years of your own breeding can/could produce yourself? Did you not use his purchase (and price) in your promotion/advertisements?

Did you really not know this goes on frequently with the high dollar breeder duplicators ?

I never said it never happens, what I said it doesn't happen as much as you say it does.

And yes, the bull did improve us, sometimes you have to go out and invest in something other than your own. That bulls sons have averaged around $1000 more than the rest of the bulls we have sold and we have probably sold 75 sons, plus his females are quite good and we sold around 1/3 of the purchase price in semen, So I would say he was definetely worth every penny. Now I have feeders asking for feeder calves out of that pedigree. So it goes alot further than just our program.

Good for them it's to bad one jealous old hobby rancher from Siberia has to be so negative.

Well Denny you are right about Siberia... Today its snowing- drifting- blowing with winds up to 40mph- temp is 15 and plunging down toward a predicted 10 Below (with 20 mph winds) for tonight...

Just thankful I got the cows moved off the north summer pasture and down onto the river yesterday!

Faster horses said:
cowsense said:
High Plains said:
Possibly those calf checks from this fall won't last as long as some had thought :!: It's all sunshine and roses from here forward :!:

There ain't nobody better than Ranchers & Farmers at spending when they make a buck! :lol: I'm just amazed at the number of new pickup's & Iron that has been bought this fall.

I just bought a new to me baler. :D

A JD 535 that has seen only about 4500 bales and stored inside it's complete life for $9000 seemed like a fairly good buy compared to a new one. :wink:

Very little of the paint is worn off or even discoloured.

Looking for a low milage Dodge dually with the 5.9 engine in it now.

My rose coloured glasses have been put in the dresser drawer a long time ago.

Well I just took my hard earned calf cheque and invested it right back in the market by buying 20 bred cows. A few days after I got them home 2 died from pneumonia, and a third we brought back to life with Resflor but she aborted her calf. Top it all off, Dad lost two of his because of what I drug home and I spent $1300 on medicine to mass treat 100 head of first and second calvers.
My rose coloured glasses are now in the drawer like gcreeks. :lol:

Silver said:
Well I just took my hard earned calf cheque and invested it right back in the market by buying 20 bred cows. A few days after I got them home 2 died from pneumonia, and a third we brought back to life with Resflor but she aborted her calf. Top it all off, Dad lost two of his because of what I drug home and I spent $1300 on medicine to mass treat 100 head of first and second calvers.

Silver, that's awful. I've never heard of that happening before.

Faster horses said:
Silver said:

Silver, that's awful. I've never heard of that happening before.

Vet says it's all over the area right now. That and winter dysentery.

Silver said:

That is very sad, Silver. When I was a kid, we had two milk cows that were getting up in years. Dad was at a sale, and two nice little Holstein heifer baby calves came into the ring. My dad bought the pair of them, and took them home. Right away they got scours real bad. Whatever they had got into the Hereford calves on the place. It took a lot of doctoring, and many calves didn't survive. Dad always said those Holstein heifers cost several thousand dollars apiece when it was all over.

Silver, were the cattle you bought and your own vaccinated for BVD/BRSV?

We have lost a few bought cattle over the years that hadn't been vaccinated even though they were advertised that way.

gcreekrch said:
Silver, were the cattle you bought and your own vaccinated for BVD/BRSV?

We have lost a few bought cattle over the years that hadn't been vaccinated even though they were advertised that way.

Our own are vaccinated for BVD, IBR, etc. Recently had Triangle 9. Probably should be giving Somain. Can't say for sure about the ones I bought. They were from a dispersal of a reputation herd, but that doesn't mean they were on a programme of any kind. Sometimes closed herds can be vulnerable because of their lack of exposure over the years. This might also explain our own cows susceptibility, as they haven't seen outside cows for 30 yrs or more.
Hard to say what kind of bugs could have been floating around the sale barn.

Latest posts