• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
In light of the abortion law South Dakota passed, my wife and I are seriously discussing taking our family vacation to SD this fall. My question is in late Aug. or early Sept. what do we want to see and do. We'll usually just stay a couple days with the kids. State fair? ( something wholesome or preferably Christian) The Arkansas state fair is horrible. The Kansas state fair is wonderful. Anyone got any ideas?

Red Robin said:
In light of the abortion law South Dakota passed, my wife and I are seriously discussing taking our family vacation to SD this fall. My question is in late Aug. or early Sept. what do we want to see and do. We'll usually just stay a couple days with the kids. State fair? ( something wholesome or preferably Christian) The Arkansas state fair is horrible. The Kansas state fair is wonderful. Anyone got any ideas?

Red Robin:

If I may, I'd like to offer some suggestions...

The first to me would be Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills....I personally have been to Rushmore several times, and still love going back.

From there you could visit the Devils Tower in Wyoming...it's not that far and would be a great day trip from the Rapid City/Black Hills area.

As well, I would also consider taking a trip up through the Badlands of NORTH Dakota to Medora...and Roosevelt National Park.

The South Dakota State Fair runs around Labor Day time. I have not been but it's in financial dispair, and sadly those who attend seem to be really disappointed.

I know that Jinglebob has some dinosauer (? spelling) artifacts on his place. And, I've yet to go through the Badlands of SD but have traveled south of Kadoka to Martin and that road skirts the Badlands, and there are some really beautiful landscapes...

As well, we have a lot of fishing around our area, and Mr. TTB and I would love to host you...we have a really neat "Old Stone Church" on the adjoining place to ours.

Let us know if we can be of more assistance....

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Don't forget it's only 100,99,98,97,96,95,94,93,92, miles to WALL DRUG

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, or make what you said political Red Robin, but you did make me feel better about the issue. The PRO-abortion folks are trying to say that we are neandrethals (probably are since I can't spell it), and they say there will be a tourism backlash because of the abortion law. I think that is BS myself. It is funny how moralism could ever be characterized as going back 200 years. I don't understand that logic? :?

Welcome to our great state. I am proud of the stand that SD is taking.

If you decide to come out this fall, ask again, and we will give you lots of good ideas as to what to see. We have a lot of awesome sights here in our NW SD county.

RR, one thing that comes to my mind at that time of year is the Black Hills Steam and Gas Threshing Bee at Sturgis. It is a 3 day event in late Aug after the motorcycles leave!

Old steam and gas tractors, antique tractor pulls, some old automobiles, threshing machines, sawmill, blacksmithing demonstrations, old one room school, and a lot of other stuff from the early days. It's a good wholesome family oriented event. Lots of good homemade stuff to eat too! :D

Central States Fair is on about that time in Rapid City too.

I second the Black Hills. reptile garden is excellant. You must see Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Mounument, Wall Drug is a must. Take in a rodeo. Stay west river. And you are very welcomed to come tube the Niobrara (sp) with us. Maybe I can talk the Soapweed family and Saddletramp family to partake. Cal is around this area too. I can also show you how your goverment dollars are spent too. Let me know and I will set up the arrangements.

katrina said:
I second the Black Hills. reptile garden is excellant. You must see Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Mounument, Wall Drug is a must. Take in a rodeo. Stay west river. And you are very welcomed to come tube the Niobrara (sp) with us. Maybe I can talk the Soapweed family and Saddletramp family to partake. Cal is around this area too. I can also show you how your goverment dollars are spent too. Let me know and I will set up the arrangements.
The Niobrara is a blast! We would drop everything and bring the canoe and extra tractor tubes if that's the plan. It's not South Dakota but close enough.

We did most of those things mentioned last Fall (except Jewel Cave and Crazy Horse). also saw Bear City or was it Bear Town open air zoo..
Also the tracks left from the wagon trains- guess that was in WY near CO/SD border which were interesting historically. Also toured a sod house in SD or NE somewhere near the Badlands.
Drove thru Badlands and did some of the hikes there, did the minuteman missle(that spelling doesn't look right somehow) site which was near Rapid City very interesting (you go down into the ground) but have to make an appt. by phone probably now as they fill up quickly. SD and NE are interesting and pretty areas. Best part was meeting the ranchers natch! We had hoped to work in tubing but didn't have the time. That was the only disappointing part of the trip. I hope you get to do that with the kids.

You guys make South Dakota sound so great,we'll have to also try and take a trip there one year!

Of course it's the people in South Dakota who make it all worthwhile.

Even if they do talk a little funny. :lol:

Ya Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say blue toungue........ Mr. Mike...........

All jokes aside, It sounds wonderful just to sit and listen to a Southener(sp) I'm like NR, that don't look right..

Hmmmmm,I don't know much about the good old USA BUT,Don't people from AL have a strong accent :lol: :lol: :???:

Oh...they don't really talk funny in SD or other points West....but it seems they can't hear!!

Cause if you're from the South and you travel West....you have to repeat things over and over. Guess it's just the cold weather that's done something to their hearing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

katrina said:
You're on Cal!!!!!!! Let's do it.........
Can you all swim???? :wink: :wink:
You bet. Are you gonna tell the folks about the river being clothing optional in your area? :D

kolanuraven said:
Oh...they don't really talk funny in SD or other points West....but it seems they can't hear!!

Cause if you're from the South and you travel West....you have to repeat things over and over. Guess it's just the cold weather that's done something to their hearing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too Funny!

Latest posts