• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Speaking of Harry Potter.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
There is a move here by the religious right to have all Harry Potter books banned from school libraries. Their basis for this is that the book if full of ' witchcraft' and ' evil'.

Is any of this going on anywhere else on the continent....or is just one of those "Southern hissies" that get pitched over nothing?

kolanuraven said:
There is a move here by the religious right to have all Harry Potter books banned from school libraries. Their basis for this is that the book if full of ' witchcraft' and ' evil'.

Is any of this going on anywhere else on the continent....or is just one of those "Southern hissies" that get pitched over nothing?

Probably caused by some old "Southern Hissyfitter" with too much time on her hands...
If there appears to be someway to profit- Sharpton and Jessie will support it......Make it a "black witch" or minority witches issue or something.....

Kola, I have heard of a couple churches who tried this when the first book or two came out and I know my MIL is oppossed to all fantasy type books but I don't thin the church groups got any traction with it. Can't say I have read a single one of the books or seen a single one of the movies as they don't particulary interest me (Allthough I bet they would have 20 years ago when I was read LOTR and such books).. My mom read the first book, she thought it was "fun" but I don't think she has hit the others.

I've a friend that goes ape shite about this and swears that the books were written by the Devil Himself!!

I haven't read the books...but have seen every movie and I love them!!

Here in the deep South...the church gets into all your business whether you like it or not and they are BIG on this issue here.

Seems silly to me. Be proud kids are reading and want to read .

the wife has an uptight religion freak of a friend who think the books are leading kids to Satan. she even has her kids believing that Halloween is the devils birthday, so by trick or treating, you are a satan worshiper!

I have argued with her that by passing judgment on others for their actions and beliefs, she is not following the Word.

plus my wife feels " on guard" all the time when around this woman..... what type of friend is that?

there used to be a set of twins in my class and they were exactly what jigs said. they didnt go trick or treating, they couldnt watch 'scary' movies in class, read 'scary' books, nothing. kinda glad they moved. they were so weird and unsocialable.

Yah it happened in Pierre to my nephew's english literature class back when the first movie came out.

The teacher had the class read a few chapters of the first book each night and they would discuss the writing style character development and other stuff during class.

She had it timed so that when they finished the book it would be the day the movie opened and she arranged to get the class in for a free special viewing of the movie just for them before it opened that night.

In order for the movie to get over in time for the evening showing the class would have to skip their last class of the day which was a study hall. All the students already had signed permission slips from their parents.

But a couple of the ministers from churches in Pierre heard about the class trip and raised a big stink about it saying the school was teaching about devil worship and witch craft. they finally forced the principle to cancel the trip. :mad: :mad:

Anyone remember the tales of the brothers Grimm? Hmmmm, lets see would I rather have Braxton reading Harry Potter or some of those little tales! LOL I will let everyone know if he starts worshipping Satan. We can use him for our guinea pig :D

Think about a lot of the "wholesome" fairy tales and classics that no one really thinks twice of. All most all of the tales that have been disneyed are just god awful. Snow White, step mother trying to kill her, Cinderella Step mother enslaving her and so on and so on.. Heck, lets skin 99 Dalmation puppies for fur coats.... I probably saw most f these growing up as a kid, watched violence on TV, read books with witchcraft and wizardy and saw movies with the same and for some reason I am not out there killing folks, sacrificing criiters or praising the devil or whatever... Parents and churches need to have more faith in their teaching of the child. MY folks had a much greater influence on me than any thing else in my life because they were involved, whether I liked it or not, lol.

IL Rancher said:
Think about a lot of the "wholesome" fairy tales and classics that no one really thinks twice of. All most all of the tales that have been disneyed are just god awful. Snow White, step mother trying to kill her, Cinderella Step mother enslaving her and so on and so on.. Heck, lets skin 99 Dalmation puppies for fur coats.... I probably saw most f these growing up as a kid, watched violence on TV, read books with witchcraft and wizardy and saw movies with the same and for some reason I am not out there killing folks, sacrificing criiters or praising the devil or whatever... Parents and churches need to have more faith in their teaching of the child. MY folks had a much greater influence on me than any thing else in my life because they were involved, whether I liked it or not, lol.

:agree:

jigs said:
the wife has an uptight religion freak of a friend who think the books are leading kids to Satan. she even has her kids believing that Halloween is the devils birthday, so by trick or treating, you are a satan worshiper!

There are some of those people here, too. Lady with two daughters, one older than me, one younger. I accidentally mentioned HP around them and they looked at me like I was Satan. They are homeschooled, have no social skills, etc. Well I'm getting off topic. I just wish people would open their minds to all kinds of literature. It's not like some little kids are gonna run around killing people with their wands....LOL

Well...I bought the book yesteday.

Will wait to read it till after all the hay is cut ( my job for the next 2 days) and up THEN I'll crash out and read it. Haven't even took a peek at the last page yet!!!!

Some of you already think I'm Satan's Spawn...so it shouldn't hurt me if it's filled with ' evil'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Lord of the Rings' books were good but couldn't get by first chapter of Harry-just finished 'Dead Man's Walk' by Larry McMurtry now that's a book. Another good read is 'Death In The Long Grass' by Peter Hathaway Capstick-about a investment banker that went to Africa and became a p[roffessiuonal hunter-kind of tells how it really is hunting the big Five.

I've read all the Lord of the Rings books, too. Anybody read Eragon by Christopher Paolini, or the sequal, Eldest? They're by a Montana kid...

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy back in the 70's, and have gone back and read them at least six more times since. Got all the movies, extended versions, and watched all the extra features. I even got the LOTR Trivial Pursuit game at Christmas, and no one will play with me. :? :? :? :? :D :D :D I guess I'm a fan.

I haven't started on Harry Potter, but I'll get to him too. I have seen most of the movies so far.

I think there are probably millions of kids who have developed a love of reading through the Harry Potter books, who may have chosen to sit in front of a TV or video game otherwise. Once they get going on these books and discover the joys of reading, they look for more.

I know one person who would not let her daughter read HP, and I thought that was so sad. She didn't want her exposed to anything that's not "real" in some misguided belief that it was a good thing to only concentrate on the day to day. I don't think people realize that a child's imagination needs to be allowed to develop along with all the other parts of their lives. This kind of story is a super way to do this. To let a child wander through other worlds and realities using only thier minds is to let them learn how to think in more than black and white.

Where would our world be without people of great imagination? I think it would be in even more trouble than it is now.

Latest posts