• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stock Dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

greg

Reaction score
I've been looking for a started stock dog preferably border collie....any ideas or names? I've got a pup starting but no where near ready to use on my pasture Thx

Only guy I know of that is really good at training them is down the road a bit. if Kansas ain't too far I can get ya the phone number.

Norm Close at Craigmyle raises and trains some really nice dogs. His number is(403) 665-0008. I got my dog from him, and he is excellent. I also had him train my daughters dog. I don't know if he has any trained dogs available, but I would definitely recommend calling him.

Thx guys I think I'll try thr Craigmyle guy first, bought my last one from Chris Cutter but he apparently doesn't do it anymore

greg said:
I've been looking for a started stock dog preferably border collie....any ideas or names?

Rover or Spot

Greg: Bill and Virginia Peters, at Perdue, SK, raise border collies and do lots of stock dog trials, teach clinics, etc. I don't know if they sell dogs, but I'm pretty sure they'd be able to tell you who in your area would. Hope this helps.

greg said:
I've been looking for a started stock dog preferably border collie....any ideas or names? I've got a pup starting but no where near ready to use on my pasture Thx
Regarding names for stock dogs:

The purpose of a dog's name is to get it's attention!

To preclude confusion for the dog in calling him/her or talking to him/her I would suggest, strongly, ONE SYLLABLE names (male or female) only - the purpose being that the dog's name can be pronounced with a single, uninterrupted sounding of the owner's voice. This is for the same reasons that when working two or more dogs at the same time and using whistle signals, different pitch sounds are used for each dog. Same thing goes for names. If a dog's name has more than one syllable, a person's voice changes pitch on the succeeding syllable(s), or vowel(s) and an instants hesitation on the part of the dog could result - possibly not a desirable situation at certain times.

Male names: Cap - Dan - Hap - Jack - Jake - Deek - Doc - Dick - Bob - Buck - Duke - names ending in hard consonants such as "-ck"or "b", "d", "g", "j", "p", "t", are positive sounds, not soft, quiet ones. By going through the alphabet you can come up with lots of others.

Female names: Beck - Nell - Kat - - - - - - for some unaccountable reason I am having a difficult time coming up with female names that are appropriate. Names such as Susanna, Geraldine, Sophie, Helen, Virginia, Mildred, Caroline, Stephanie, Tamara, Esmerelda, Scarlet, Hillary (Even if it is for a Bitch), Catherine, Marilyn - - -all of these just would not work. But I think you get my point. I'll leave the female names up to you and your family!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, the old stock dog we lost in Feb. was named Jake still miss the old boy best darn dog I ever had.

Zip, was the yellow dog we had that was the best. But we have had Pat, Cat, and Toot. And Doc is correct, one-syllable names are best. Our male is Pete, but we didn't do right with Dixie's name, it is a bit too long.

Right now, my husband took Pete with him in the pickup, and Dixie had to say home. She is outside, howling for him. She sounds so sad...

She's a pistol, though, and really has a personality.

Latest posts