• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Surprising answer!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus cattle are the recipient of a well crafted media blitz and advertising ploy. it is a gimmic, a well planned gimmic none the less.

I enjoy eating where they serve CAB I like to ask if they KNOW it is angus, we argue a while, the waiter gets annoyed, I feel better, then they bring my steak and I get nervous wondering if they spit on it!

haha you just now figurin this out? I'm not tryin to be a smarty pants or anything....I just knew and have for a long time that CAB stuff wasn't "Just Angus" like they'd like you to think.

PureCountry said:
Soapweed said:
Regardless, they are a pretty efficient and trouble-free breed of cattle to run.

Especially if they're always grain fed. :wink:

All in fun Soap. One good poke deserves another. :wink:

This reminds me of two couples of our friends who were traveling through Colorado a few years ago. They went into a restaurant one evening. The menu proudly proclaimed, "we serve only Certified Angus Beef." One of the ranchers was a long-time Hereford breeder. He said, "I'm not going to have any of that stuff," and ordered salmon. :)

Dylan Biggs said:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_CAB_have_to_come_from_Angus_beef

Grassfarmer it appears that more than just cattle may not always be what they appear :shock: :shock: :? :???:

Actually the carcass needs to meet certain specs as well.

You should also check things out a little close because Wiki answers are posted by people who think they know. You could go in and change it if you wanted. The girl that post on Wiki used to post here but hasn't been around much for a while. I think she left to chase after AZ Cowmangler.

The secret to CAB success is the carcass specs everyone fails to mention or think about. When the CAB spec was created the majority of the beef cattle that were black were angus. It is amazing how many breeds are now black and look like angus. I can remeber on of the trade mags have a picture of 8 animals and you needed to identify the breed of each. I wounder how many could identify 8 breeds with modern genetics?

jigs said:
salmon probably qualifies as CAB too !

Close they have been letting 1/2 hereford pass for a long time. :wink:

Anyone ever remember seeing straight black simmentals back in the 80's nope. Every one of these johnny come black lately breeds have open books yet for their registry they are more black angus than they are the original breed. Black simmentals what a joke they are in my opinion.

>>Close they have been letting 1/2 hereford pass for a long time. Wink<<

I got news for ya. a 15/16th Hereford could pass CAB as long as it was 50% black hided and met the carcass specs.

CAB is all about a pleasant eating experience for the customer and that all relates back to the CARCASS SPECS and age of critter. How would one prove the breed/genetic make up of an animal in 1980? Red angus and Herdford also have branded beef programs.

Denny said:
jigs said:
salmon probably qualifies as CAB too !

Close they have been letting 1/2 hereford pass for a long time. :wink:

Anyone ever remember seeing straight black simmentals back in the 80's nope. Every one of these johnny come black lately breeds have open books yet for their registry they are more black angus than they are the original breed. Black simmentals what a joke they are in my opinion.

True enough Denny, I'm certainly not a big fan of crossbreeding purebreds to change breed colors or characteristics - it defeats the purpose of breeds. Lets be honest though some examples of the Angus breed are about as far removed in type from the original Aberdeen Angus as black simmys are from the yellow and white originals. And the Angus breed achieved that miracle with a closed herd book :wink:

Great post Grassfarmer! Angus back in the 80's went through quite a transformation didn't they. Where did all that frame and milk come from? Angus were just as mongrelized as many of the continental breeds that ended up black in my opinion, especially the ones with the white bellies and the scurs. :shock:

If you look back in history of the angus you will find there has always been white. It went out of fashion in the early 1900's along with red colored angus in the american angus association. Scurs are another whole issue. Their are unscrupulous breeders in any breed willing to take shortcuts to make a buck.

The champion angus steer at the Glasgow fair in the 1800's was grey breasted jock-he was pretty much all white underneath. Hard to look at the show cattle from the 80's and not wonder about breed purity-they weren't just tall they were terrible.

Latest posts