• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TODAYS $$$$ value of RFID calves with RECORDS ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RFID by itself has not generated the extra value for calves. The extra value comes from being able to visually identify each calf and have records to prove birthdate, sex, breed and process verification(vaccines and the like). The other big thing that increases value.....being able to verify that calves have been weaned for at least thirty days and had all their weaning shots(4-way and some kind of 7-way and wormed) plus having all bulls castrated. I would assume implants would decrease value of calves....just an assumption!

Observations from several sale barns reflect at least a $12 per cwt difference between fresh calves and weaned and processed calves. The market will now reflect the calves that have been weaned and processed to bring the market.....everything else will be discounted.

At these prices, most stocker operators and feedyard owners will not give the top dollar for these calves unless they have been weaned and processed. Too much risk involved!

That's my story...what's yours?

This week of May was the second week in a row where we sold enough source verified cattle to get a true market test. We are calling these cattle $7-10 higher per pound. While this is just a start on selling source verified EID cattle at this market, the hand writing is on the wall. If you don't have your calves EID identified, coupled with a good vaccination program you can see it will pay big dividends. As we increase our volume of these calves and yearlings we expect the price for the source verified cattle to go even higher. ****Source V-key from Ca.

Ours at Gaylord is running at $12-17 over market for RFID animals with records ****source Porker Mich.

Porker, were these personal calves, or from a official trial through the bolus product you sell? I would be interested in seeing some actual numbers for a project I'm working on. thanks

These were personal calves.As for selling tags or boluses or anything RFID I don't. I just use them and these calves went through the stockyards.

Porker,

What a handle for someone in the cattle business! Why the hell did you ask this question if you already knew the answer?

In your area ,are the RFID calves worth more ?Just checking to see if it's the RFID tag or its the Records behind the tag is more important.Down at the Ranch house (coffee shop) the boys say neither.Just gotta know which color they are ,and they don't have short ears.I say they need records with the RFID tag in order to get the best price like you do. I think the Canadians on here never talk about RFID tags cause it's new to them TOO.Tully ,from Austraila en downunder has the most experince with RFID and if the records pay for themselves.I think the dollars spent on RFID's with equipment an recordkeeping is returning about $9.00 per dollar spent .maybe I am wrong ,maybe right .I just think its One of the best returns in the cattle industry.
Been a little chubby around the middle and the name caught on ,but I am on a Atkins meat diet these days.Ha ,Ha ,got a sweet tooth too and that doesn't help either.

Porker- The buyer that buys the major share of calves out of this area said that calves that are branded for ID, have an all natural affidavit signed which includes calving period dates and pasture location descriptions, and have pre conditioning shots will be worth $10-15+ per head more...Montana does not have premise ID yet- and he said he would personally for his own lotted calves rather have brands because it makes a permanent traceback that he can use with his own ID system........

Kind of ironic-- few years ago some were paying a premium for the unbranded calves- now they want them branded........

Oldtimer said:
Porker- The buyer that buys the major share of calves out of this area said that calves that are branded for ID, have an all natural affidavit signed which includes calving period dates and pasture location descriptions, and have pre conditioning shots will be worth $10-15+ per head more...Montana does not have premise ID yet- and he said he would personally for his own lotted calves rather have brands because it makes a permanent traceback that he can use with his own ID system........

Kind of ironic-- few years ago some were paying a premium for the unbranded calves- now they want them branded........

Just curious Can they be "all natural" and still have preconditioning shots.
We usually use Ivomec when we precondition.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

Just curious Can they be "all natural" and still have preconditioning shots.
We usually use Ivomec when we precondition.

Not sure what program they fit into Big Muddy- but what he wanted was a signed affidavit of no implants and no antibiotics-- He said thats really getting to be the big things-- has never quibbled about mine being poured because I do it........

You got me curious Big Muddy- so I looked up what Superior considers under their 'Natural" program...Don't see anything about pour ons...

Cattle sold in the "Owner Certified Natural" program will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the seller and will meet the following requirements. The cattle have not been:
A. Fed or injected with any antibiotics or ingredients containing possible antibiotic residues.
B. Fed any antibiotic ionophores.
C. Implanted with or fed any synthetic hormones, growth promotants or steroids of any kind.
D. Fed any feed containing protein derived from mammalian tissue.

Oldtimer: "Kind of ironic-- few years ago some were paying a premium for the unbranded calves- now they want them branded........"

Quite a few years ago, the state of Nebraska quit issuing brands with a rib location. Any new brand was only available on the shoulder or hip, so as to not ruin as much valuable hide. The only way a rib brand was available was if you bought one from a person who already had it registered and was paying for the rib location at the time. Of course, if you already had a rib brand in force and were in the habit of branding in that location, your right to continue to do so was "grandfathered in" and it was legal to still brand as before.

Here lately, the Nebrask Brand Commission has gone back to issuing rib brands. Their reason for doing this was because they were losing revenue from not being able to sell rib brands. The hide buyers were not paying any premium for the hides with only shoulder or hip locations, anyway, so that was a moot point. It's funny how things go full circle.

Until the USDA mandates a individual ID program( it appears that is going to happen on Jan 1, 2009) their is no value in putting an RFID tag on a calf you are going to market as a feeder. If you retain ownership all they way to the kill floor then RFID is a must. A good visual tag and a good set of records that you can print out or transfer via e-mail is all you need at this time. You are not going to get paid for the RFID tag at the auction this fall. You will get paid for tagged calves with documented records of source and age. I would use my veternarian as a third party verifier. On another note, a ring full of calves with many different tags and colors really looks bad. A set of calves with visual tags all the same type and color makes the group look even.

I had a pair of hair on chinks made this winter we ordered the hide and when it came in it had a rib brand on it they didnt discount what I paid for the hide due to the brand.....

The biggest market for leather now is automobile seats. Try to sell a hide to Mercedes with a brand. Won't happen. At any price.

Mike said:
The biggest market for leather now is automobile seats. Try to sell a hide to Mercedes with a brand. Won't happen. At any price.

Sure it will you just need to change your brand to a mercedes emblem or catteliac.

Denny said:
Mike said:

Sure it will you just need to change your brand to a mercedes emblem or catteliac.

That's great idea :lol: But where would you put the brand on the calf? So that the brand is centered on the seat cover. On his back?

Oldtimer said:
You got me curious Big Muddy- so I looked up what Superior considers under their 'Natural" program...Don't see anything about pour ons...

Cattle sold in the "Owner Certified Natural" program will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the seller and will meet the following requirements. The cattle have not been:
A. Fed or injected with any antibiotics or ingredients containing possible antibiotic residues.
C. Implanted with or fed any synthetic hormones, growth promotants or steroids of any kind.
\

Oldtimer how do you mark you calves and what do you do with the ones you have given scour bolus or shot ?

How can you isolate the contribution of RFID tags to higher calf prices if you don't seperate all the other variables that contribute to higher calf prices of one bunch of calves compared to another?

I contend that most RFID calves are probably from breeders with above average genetics whose calves receive a premium because they gain and convert better in the feedlots rather than the fact that they are traceable.

I don't know how you could isolate the value of RFID tags unless you had seperate bunches of calves from the same herd both with and without RFID tags. I doubt you will find a situation like that to make a valid comparison.

~SH~

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

\

Oldtimer how do you mark you calves and what do you do with the ones you have given scour bolus or shot ?

BMR- Eartags numbered to correspond with the cow tags-- makes it easier mothering because I have to move pastures a couple times...I keep a pocketbook with birthdates- shots- problems.....

Latest posts