• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TODAYS $$$$ value of RFID calves with RECORDS ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
You got me curious Big Muddy- so I looked up what Superior considers under their 'Natural" program...Don't see anything about pour ons...

Cattle sold in the "Owner Certified Natural" program will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the seller and will meet the following requirements. The cattle have not been:
A. Fed or injected with any antibiotics or ingredients containing possible antibiotic residues.
B. Fed any antibiotic ionophores.
C. Implanted with or fed any synthetic hormones, growth promotants or steroids of any kind.
D. Fed any feed containing protein derived from mammalian tissue.
\

Oldtimer how do you mark you calves and what do you do with the ones you have given scour bolus or shot ?

BMR- Eartags numbered to correspond with the cow tags-- makes it easier mothering because I have to move pastures a couple times...I keep a pocketbook with birthdates- shots- problems.....

So the calves you treat on't go with the bunch you sell at auction?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
\

Oldtimer how do you mark you calves and what do you do with the ones you have given scour bolus or shot ?

BMR- Eartags numbered to correspond with the cow tags-- makes it easier mothering because I have to move pastures a couple times...I keep a pocketbook with birthdates- shots- problems.....

So the calves you treat on't go with the bunch you sell at auction?

They all go with a signed affidavit showing all shots or treatments, including everything from birth to branding to preconditioning to delivery, with a date of each shot or treatment--leave it up to the buyer to decide if he wants to cut back or not......Most I have talked to say that treatment as baby calves does not affect them or the people they are buying for- they are more worried about the cattle that are implanted, or fed antibiotics and steroids as they grow out thru the summer or after weaning........

Until the USDA mandates a individual ID program( it appears that is going to happen on Jan 1, 2009) ********so are you going to wait till the LAST minute or the last week,Month,Year or Decade ,Cattleco

their is no value in putting an RFID tag on a calf you are going to market as a feeder. *******I see that the sale markets,feeders and packers have made a move to pay higher prices for source verified cattle with shot and health records .

****If you retain ownership all they way to the kill floor then RFID is a must.Why then,how do you know?

A good visual tag and a good set of records that you can print out or transfer via e-mail is all you need at this time.*********Before I got started with this new system I have,I lost a email of records to a virus worm and it wiped out 4 years of hard work.

You are not going to get paid for the RFID tag at the auction this fall. ********I did last fall and the buyers have allready said they want more of the same.
You will get paid for tagged calves with documented records of source and age.******I agree,and our Michigan cattle where we live have to have RFID tags right to the Auction because of our TB problem in deer.

I would use my veternarian as a third party verifier.******* yup,Our county agents do the same thing.

On another note, a ring full of calves with many different tags and colors really looks bad. *******Then they probably came from a cow jockey.

A set of calves with visual tags all the same type and color makes the group look even.******** I use boluses as they never get lost and I don't have to ever replace them. I Still say that calves with RFID and records in our area bring an extra $9.00 for every $1.00 invested in recordkeeping . I keep these same records with the following requirements too. The cattle have not been:
A. Fed or injected with any antibiotics or ingredients containing possible antibiotic residues.
B. Fed any antibiotic ionophores.
C. Implanted with or fed any synthetic hormones, growth promotants or steroids of any kind.
D. Fed any feed containing protein derived from mammalian tissue.

All my records are in www.scoringag.com as it does the whole works from field to fork.

Say Porker, you missed a few things that our database handles such as,

Additive-Free Feed
Animal By-Product Free
Animal Housing
Animal Transport Welfare
Animal Welfare
Antibiotic-free
Chemical-Free Products
Controlled Composting
Ecologically Balanced
Free-range
Genetically-modified
Grain-fed
Grass-Fed
HACCP
Halal Approved
Hand-Cultivated
Herbicide-Free
Homeopathic Veterinary
Hormone-free
Humane Harvesting
Hygiene Approved
ISO Certified
Kosher Approved
Low Input
Natural
Naturally Grown
No-Till Production
Nutrient Managed
Organic
Other
Pasture-fed
Pasture-Raised Poultry
Pesticide-Free
Product Analysis
Product Environment
Product Quality
Product Weight
Quality Control
Rotational Grazing
Soil / Water Habitat Conservation
SRM-Free
Sustainable Farming
Transport Welfare
Value-Added
Wild
May 16, 2005 [email protected] OR www.scoringag.com

Quoted from Sucecessful Farming Mag.feb.2005--(Kentucky cow-calf producers near Curry already have gained from pioneering ID.One mulitcounty group sells up to 5000 tagged feeder calvesa year that bringa premium of $5 to $12 a hunderdweightover marketprices,Says Glenn Mackie,Bourbon County,Kentucky,Extension agent for agriculture and natural resourses.)Another RFID story with records that brings great returns.

STAFF said:
Say Porker, you missed a few things that our database handles such as,

Additive-Free Feed
Animal By-Product Free
Animal Housing
Animal Transport Welfare
Animal Welfare
Antibiotic-free
Chemical-Free Products
Controlled Composting
Ecologically Balanced
Free-range
Genetically-modified
Grain-fed
Grass-Fed
HACCP
Halal Approved
Hand-Cultivated
Herbicide-Free
Homeopathic Veterinary
Hormone-free
Humane Harvesting
Hygiene Approved
ISO Certified
Kosher Approved
Low Input
Natural
Naturally Grown
No-Till Production
Nutrient Managed
Organic
Other
Pasture-fed
Pasture-Raised Poultry
Pesticide-Free
Product Analysis
Product Environment
Product Quality
Product Weight
Quality Control
Rotational Grazing
Soil / Water Habitat Conservation
SRM-Free
Sustainable Farming
Transport Welfare
Value-Added
Wild
May 16, 2005 [email protected] OR www.scoringag.com

Interesting, STAFF. Have you ever had a customer get caught lying about something they claim they did or did not do? What were the consequences? Do you check up on them, or how is possible fraud handled? I like things to be fool-proof and verifiable, no more of this "some of the best cattle in the country, boys" as stated about every animal going through the sales ring, when they obviously can't ALL be the very best!

MRJ

MRJ, I can't help but notice the unusual amount of skepticism you have towards some yet you are so quick to admonish those who are skeptical concerning your organization.

These people are simply tracking the information provided to them. They are NOT the FBI!

Mike said:
MRJ, I can't help but notice the unusual amount of skepticism you have towards some yet you are so quick to admonish those who are skeptical concerning your organization.

These people are simply tracking the information provided to them. They are NOT the FBI!

Mike, what you call skepticism on my part is not directed in one direction only, as is much of the criticism of NCBA and/ or the Beef Checkoff. There have been well publicized instances of businesses caught mis-labelling, quite innocently in my opinion, yet being harshly penalized. There have been instances of businesses and/or individuals cheating in one way or another in the beef industry and being exposed. Some pay dearly for their misdeeds, some have not. It happens. I believe the more people are aware and call attention to possible problems, the better our cattle/beef industry will be for producers and consumers alike. Trust, but verify. And I believe that applies to many areas, not only the cattle/beef industry.

MRJ

You know with the right marketing angle a leather product with a brand visible could become a premiumproduct-the new western chic. Imagine buying a King Ranch Ford Truck with a King Ranch brand visible in the leather seats. I'm sure with the right approach it could sell especially in Europe-the western deal is huge there.

Mike said:

Mike--MRJ will not be happy until it becomes a NCBA run nationwide Mandatory ID system- then all this same info she now is skeptical about will become the gospel :roll: ......

I contend that most RFID calves are probably from breeders with above average genetics whose calves receive a premium because they gain and convert better in the feedlots rather than the fact that they are traceable.

I don't know how you could isolate the value of RFID tags SH******** By each record,example http://www.scoringag.com/demo/index.cfm?pageaction=displayentity&entity_id=4370&showAll=1

Northern Rancher said:
You know with the right marketing angle a leather product with a brand visible could become a premiumproduct-the new western chic. Imagine buying a King Ranch Ford Truck with a King Ranch brand visible in the leather seats. I'm sure with the right approach it could sell especially in Europe-the western deal is huge there.

You might be on to something there NR. A custom branded seat for a truck might be quite a novelty!

Yes Mike, thats a great Idea of using a Brand and our system could prove that the brand on the seat cover was regeristered to the ranch of origin a not a counterfeit hide branded for just the money.

Staff

Are you aware that every brand state in the United States could have the same brand as the King Ranch. And also each cow has 6 spots to put the brand on.

I've tried to brand leather and it don't work worth a shuck unless it's still on the critter! :lol:

Jinglebob said:
Staff

Are you aware that every brand state in the United States could have the same brand as the King Ranch. And also each cow has 6 spots to put the brand on.

[I don't want to pick on you here, but are you positive of that, JB? When we visited the King Ranch last winter, we learned that they have copyrighted their running W brand. It currently is their most valuable asset. I would be very surprised if they allow anyone else to use it. MRJ]

I've tried to brand leather and it don't work worth a shuck unless it's still on the critter! :lol:

Well they would have to copyright it in every state wouldn't they? I would bet if there wasn't a conflict in this state, someone could get it somewhere on a cow. But I may be wrong. Seems like I have been once or twice before in my life! :shock: :lol:

Jinglebob said:
Well they would have to copyright it in every state wouldn't they? I would bet if there wasn't a conflict in this state, someone could get it somewhere on a cow. But I may be wrong. Seems like I have been once or twice before in my life! :shock: :lol:

{Aren't copyrights at least national, if not international? And are there separate protections for intellectual property? I know the King Ranch is VERY protective of that brand.}

MRJ

I think the copyright applies to the brand on products other than cattle. The King Ranch has dozens of different products with their brand logo on them in their catolog. I may be wrong but brands on cattle are not covered under copyright laws.

Jinglebob said:

JB, The copyright law is a "Federal" statute, i.e. a copyright would cover all states plus an imported infringement. Having just gone through a two year ordeal concerning infringement of the law I have been enlightened more than I care to be on this subject. It is broad ranging and covers almost anything imaginable.

The copyright laws deal more with "artistic expression" than anything else. In other words, if John Doe took a photograph of Jim Smith's tree, the actual photograph [or any duplicate] would be John's property, subject to a royalty. Even though Jim owns the tree he would share no royalties because the photograph itself is John's expression.
If I took a picture of Jim's tree I would be a separate copyright owner. Unless it was proven that I was copying John. Same tree, different photograph, different copyright, different "artistic expression".
A word, letter, or phrase cannot be copyrighted. A book of words and letters can be.
A copyright need not be registered with the copyright office to be valid in most cases. Proof of originality can suffice.
Very complicated.

Latest posts