• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

US Beef is not popular with US Consumers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the chief

Reaction score
Agman, "Once it is demonstrated clearly in the marketplace that imported beef can develop a stronger consumer allegiance than U.S. produced beef who will you and yours blame then."

Agman is indicating that mCOOL will not be good for US beef because once the consumer knows that the beef they buy in the grocery store is from Mexico or Argentina or Venezuela, then the consumer will flock to that countries' meat.

What do you think?

Chief: "Agman is indicating that mCOOL will not be good for US beef because once the consumer knows that the beef they buy in the grocery store is from Mexico or Argentina or Venezuela, then the consumer will flock to that countries' meat."

I think you are taking Agman's statements out of context.

Let me help you with the facts again chief..........

For the hundredth time (conservatively)................

U.S. BEEF CONSUMPTION UNDER NORMAL TRADE

20% imported
80% U.S. born and raised.

Of the 20% imported beef, 75% of this ends up in food service with the vast majority being imported lean trimmings for blending THAT ADD VALUE TO our surplus 50/50 trim from all those overfed Y3 carcasses.

Lean trimmings from Australia and New Zealand are PRICE POSITIVE to U.S. producers by adding value to a virtually worthless product because nobody is going to eat a 50% fat hamburger.

With food service being exempt from your "PLEASE GOVERNMENT, SAVE US FROM OURSELVES" flawed "M"COOL law, that leaves 5% of the total U.S. beef consumption labeled as "imported beef".

What does that accomplish?

IT CREATES A RARE NOVELTY ITEM OUT OF FOREIGN BEEF.

Do you actually believe, that the Hispanic population in the U.S. will shy away from "MEXICAN" beef????

Canadian beef is amongst the highest quality beef in the world. Creekstone was wanting to import Canadian beef for Japanese export.

Think our U.S. consumers will shy away from Canadian beef when Canadian beef is a rare novelty item?

The only reason they would shy from it is if R-CULT & Co. lied about it's safety as they are doing now.

5% of the beef consumed in the U.S. would be labeled as "imported beef" under your flawed SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE law.

WOW, SOME ACCOMPLISHMENT!

You have producers claiming to be in the "CATTLE INDUSTRY" who think they know more about the "BEEF INDUSTRY" than those who are actually in the "BEEF INDUSTRY".

Didn't you take the time to read all the testimonials from those in the "BEEF INDUSTRY" during the "M"COOL listening sessions from processers of all sizes?

I didn't think so!

Now let's look at some real world examples.

In Colorado CSU did a survey, that R-CULT misquoted and had to be corrected on, where consumers "claimed" they would prefer U.S. born and raised beef over foreign beef.

Enter Callicrate's Ranch Food Direct. According to R-CULT's publication, Mike Callicrate is offering a "Born, Raised, and Processed in the U.S." branded beef product in the same area where consumers stated they would prefer a "U.S. born and raised product". According to R-CULT's publication, Mr. Perjury's product suffers from "CONSUMER APATHY" and he's on the ground floor in offering a "U.S. born and raised product".

What's the problem chief????

Why aren't people tripping all overthemselves to buy it?????

You can't explain it can you? I can! PRICE!

Next, tell me why New Zealand lamb sold right next to U.S. lamb outsold the U.S. lamb????

"M"COOL is "SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE" with nothing to back it.

If consumers were more loyal to U.S. products than foreign products, then explain Walmart's success with China products????

You can't!

Heck, I even know some big time "M"COOL supporters who claim U.S. consumers would pay more for U.S. "born and raised beef" that are rolling bales out to their cattle with Belarus tractors (made in Germany). LOL!

Symbolism over substance!

And what facts do you have to support your position?????

~SH~

the chief said:
Agman, "Once it is demonstrated clearly in the marketplace that imported beef can develop a stronger consumer allegiance than U.S. produced beef who will you and yours blame then."

Agman is indicating that mCOOL will not be good for US beef because once the consumer knows that the beef they buy in the grocery store is from Mexico or Argentina or Venezuela, then the consumer will flock to that countries' meat.

What do you think?

I like the ole fart that calls himself "agman"but if you read his posts and replys long enough it becomes obvious where his loyalities are.Its not with the cattle man................good luck

~SH~ said:
As always, those who can't debate discredit.

Same-O, Same-O!

~SH~

there is nothing to debate in this ~SH~ facts are plain..R CALF is growing fast and the ncba is failing ,no debate necessary............good luck

Scott, you defeat your own argument...if there was such a "novelty'" market, wouldn't the packers have already exploited that market?????
If Canadian beef was that much better, why not label that beef as "PRODUCT OF CANADA"???????
The question is...Why do they want all beef to be "GENERIC" and push for "FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS"?????

the chief said:

What do you think?

I think Agman just gave the US beef industry a vote of no confidence. How else could a person take it?

Sandhusker said:
the chief said:

What do you think?

I think Agman just gave the US beef industry a vote of no confidence. How else could a person take it?

No what I gave was the reality that all consumers do not think like you or I regarding U.S. beef. I have stated previously, that foreign product when labeled has outsold U.S. product. There is a group of consumers, however large or small, who will perceive foreign product as superior no matter what you or I think. It will become the 'IN" thing. Do you remember the first Toyotas and Datsuns, now Nissan?

the chief said:

What do you think?

You remain in a state of mass confusion chief. Evidently the only person you lead around the pole is yourself. Read carefully my reponse to Sandhusker.

I have sold a lot of my cattle on the bun and I can tell you from my observations that amajority of people don't taste the beef they eat.I have spent many hours cooking roastbeef to perfection only to have acustomer drown it in ketchup and must ard . :mad: I have my doubts that cool would for the cattle producer in the USA be agood thing but I would like to know where the beef I eat comes from so Icould make up my own mind.Some of the beef Ihave had in restraunts and out of grocery stores needs the flavor covered up. Belerus tractors come from Russia I believe.SH is right about consumers and price.If you sell ahot dog for 2.50 and a roast beef sandwitch for 3.00 you will sell morehot dogs even tho the roast beef is abetter value.I support these statements from personal experience .

Agman, "No what I gave was the reality that all consumers do not think like you or I regarding U.S. beef. I have stated previously, that foreign product when labeled has outsold U.S. product. There is a group of consumers, however large or small, who will perceive foreign product as superior no matter what you or I think. It will become the 'IN" thing. Do you remember the first Toyotas and Datsuns, now Nissan?"

I agree that there are a few morons who percieve foreign to be superior to domestic, whatever to product. However, if it is the "IN" thing, it will soon become the "OUT" thing. Anyway, if they want the foreign beef, they can get it already. I'd be willing to bet a good sum that there is a heck of a lot more folks who would pick US over foreign than visa-versa, especially when there is a checkoff-driven campaign that touts the superiority of US product.

You have shown an isolated incident of foreign out selling domestic. However, it was a poor example. Was there any ad campaign pushing the US product? When you're just putting your product out there to compete with the competitor's without any advertising, you're not even trying.

agman to the chief: Evidently the only person you lead around the pole is yourself.

Tell us, again, agman, WHOSE pole do you dance around? Is the the american beef producer?

My attitude is :"If you have a good product, why not promote it? Especially if American beef producers consider their product to be favorable to the consumer. As for Toyota and beef, it is like apples and oranges. At least when someone buys a Toyota, they KNOW where it came from. In US supermarkets, we have no clue as the origin of our meat.

Since I am a consumer, you cannot put words in my mouth. I always ask the butcher where their meat is from. If he can't tell me, then I ask him why? I may not get an answer, but I am letting him know that consumers want to know.

Sandhusker said:
Agman, "No what I gave was the reality that all consumers do not think like you or I regarding U.S. beef. I have stated previously, that foreign product when labeled has outsold U.S. product. There is a group of consumers, however large or small, who will perceive foreign product as superior no matter what you or I think. It will become the 'IN" thing. Do you remember the first Toyotas and Datsuns, now Nissan?"

I agree that there are a few morons who percieve foreign to be superior to domestic, whatever to product. However, if it is the "IN" thing, it will soon become the "OUT" thing. Anyway, if they want the foreign beef, they can get it already. I'd be willing to bet a good sum that there is a heck of a lot more folks who would pick US over foreign than visa-versa, especially when there is a checkoff-driven campaign that touts the superiority of US product.

You have shown an isolated incident of foreign out selling domestic. However, it was a poor example. Was there any ad campaign pushing the US product? When you're just putting your product out there to compete with the competitor's without any advertising, you're not even trying.

What you fail to understand and therefore will lose your bet is that those consumers who believe foreign beef is the "IN" thing are more numerous than you or I would expect. I have not taken a single incident as you presume. This consumer action has been observed over the past several years. You are so far removed from the real and total marketplace that you do not even have a clue it is ongoing today. As far as featuring, it is U.S. product, presumed or real that is featured with their checkoff contributions. Their product which I am referring to is already labeled as to origin in the locals I am referencing.

Do you think if we separate their beef checkoff contributions that they will not spend those additional dollars to distinguish their product from ours. You are smarter than that.

the chief said:
agman to the chief: Evidently the only person you lead around the pole is yourself.

Tell us, again, agman, WHOSE pole do you dance around? Is the the american beef producer?

My attitude is :"If you have a good product, why not promote it? Especially if American beef producers consider their product to be favorable to the consumer. As for Toyota and beef, it is like apples and oranges. At least when someone buys a Toyota, they KNOW where it came from. In US supermarkets, we have no clue as the origin of our meat.

Since I am a consumer, you cannot put words in my mouth. I always ask the butcher where their meat is from. If he can't tell me, then I ask him why? I may not get an answer, but I am letting him know that consumers want to know.

Response...Your point is well taken but you are only one consumer and do not represent the vast majority of consumers in this country. You need to get off this idea that you and I, being involved in agriculture daily, represent the average consumer. As far a consmers are concerned what you and I think does not make a hell of beans to them. They do not know you nor do they know me nor do they care to know either of us. They are only concerned with what they think and can afford. If you cannot grasp that basic concept you will keep walking around the same poll with the only follower being your shadow.

Agman, "What you fail to understand and therefore will lose your bet is that those consumers who believe foreign beef is the "IN" thing are more numerous than you or I would expect. I have not taken a single incident as you presume. This consumer action has been observed over the past several years. You are so far removed from the real and total marketplace that you do not even have a clue it is ongoing today.

We don't know how numerous they are. You say a lot, I say a few, neither of us can prove anything. All I know is that advertising works. Billions are spent on it each year. The folks running the checkoff that you support must believe in advertising,hence, the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" campaign. With this generic beef promition, we haven't even tried to promote our product! I'm positive a good promotion would make US beef the thing to buy. Think about it, Agman, what guides those people's spending? It's image! Put US beef out there in the image they want and we're all happy. You're saying they won't buy our product which is totally defeatest considering they haven't heard one flipping ad telling them why they should!

Agman, "Do you think if we separate their beef checkoff contributions that they will not spend those additional dollars to distinguish their product from ours. You are smarter than that."

Right now, both you and I would simply be specualting as to whether or not they would advertise themselves. The one thing we both KNOW right now is that they contribute to the checkoff because they have NO CHOICE.
Even if they did consider that buck already budgeted for advertisement and made their own ads, do think they could hold a candle to the might of the check-off's deep pocketbooks? You're talking Leinenkugle taking on Anheuser Busch! For every ad they put out, the check off could put out 10. If they want to play the advertising game....

Sandhusker said:
Agman, "What you fail to understand and therefore will lose your bet is that those consumers who believe foreign beef is the "IN" thing are more numerous than you or I would expect. I have not taken a single incident as you presume. This consumer action has been observed over the past several years. You are so far removed from the real and total marketplace that you do not even have a clue it is ongoing today.

We don't know how numerous they are. You say a lot, I say a few, neither of us can prove anything. All I know is that advertising works. Billions are spent on it each year. The folks running the checkoff that you support must believe in advertising,hence, the "Beef, it's what's for dinner" campaign. With this generic beef promition, we haven't even tried to promote our product! I'm positive a good promotion would make US beef the thing to buy. Think about it, Agman, what guides those people's spending? It's image! Put US beef out there in the image they want and we're all happy. You're saying they won't buy our product which is totally defeatest considering they haven't heard one flipping ad telling them why they should!

Agman, "Do you think if we separate their beef checkoff contributions that they will not spend those additional dollars to distinguish their product from ours. You are smarter than that."

Right now, both you and I would simply be specualting as to whether or not they would advertise themselves. The one thing we both KNOW right now is that they contribute to the checkoff because they have NO CHOICE.
Even if they did consider that buck already budgeted for advertisement and made their own ads, do think they could hold a candle to the might of the check-off's deep pocketbooks? You're talking Leinenkugle taking on Anheuser Busch! For every ad they put out, the check off could put out 10. If they want to play the advertising game....

Response...The difference is that I have actual report data of consumer acceptance and you have nothing but pure speculation on your part. I believe actual results trumps your speculation every time.

You have been in the sun too long if you think they will not advertise with their checkoff dollars if given the opportunity. You have got to be kidding yourself because I cannot think anyone else would believes they will just lay down and die.

Sandhusker said:
You're saying they won't buy our product which is totally defeatest considering they haven't heard one flipping ad telling them why they should!

Response...Where did I say consumers would not buy our product? You are making an awful lot up Sandhusker. They will buy it, just not as much and at the same price if the foreign competition was not there competing for the same consumer dollars. That process should not be too difficult to comprehend unless you have high-centered yourself on a sand berm in western Nebraska.

Sandhusker, speaking of beer...have you seen Anheuser Busch's commercials of late...the only wholely USA-owned beer in America. If it wasn't so late, I'd have a Bud Ice!!!!!

RM: "Scott, you defeat your own argument...if there was such a "novelty'" market, wouldn't the packers have already exploited that market?????"

That's a good question but I did not defeat my own argument because the costs of segregating a novelty item have to outweigh the benefits of selling that novelty item.

If the gains of the novelty item outweigh the expenses of segregation, the packers would exploit those markets.

In the case of "M"COOL, packers are FORCED into expensive segregation and not given the option. That doesn't change the fact that the novelty item would not be discriminated against by most consumers and in some cases it would outsell U.S. product.

Look at the recent craze for Argentina "grass fed beef" on the East coast. There is a perfect example of what Agman is trying to tell you guys who refuse to face facts. The story of the success of Argentina "grass fed beef" made the front page of the Wall street journal. I didn't make that up!

Now if I was a betting man, I would bet that this beef was probably not aged and therefore hardly comparable in quality to U.S. corn fed non aged beef. Based on that, one can only conclude that Argentina "grass fed beef" happend to become the "IN" thing at that time as Agman has pointed out.

This real time example provides the proof that All U.S. consumers are not as loyal to U.S. products as you would like to believe, as does the success of Wal Mart's products from China, as does all the foreign cars going down the road, as does the Japanese motorcycles riding down the same highways as the Harleys.

Look at the world around you for once!

RM: "If Canadian beef was that much better, why not label that beef as "PRODUCT OF CANADA"???????"

If the benefits outweighed the costs, they would.

I think the Canadian producers should market their beef as a "PRODUCT OF CANADA" in the U.S. since they have the quality to back it.

The only downside to that would be the threat of the R-CULTers taking out more adds to lie about the safety of Canadian beef.

RM: "The question is...Why do they want all beef to be "GENERIC" and push for "FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS"?????"

Because Free Trade Agreements with Australia and New Zealand allows them to import a product that adds value to our surplus 50/50 trim.

Labeling this blended beef as "BLENDED WITH FOREIGN BEEF" would have as much impact as a "PRODUCT OF U.S." label on U.S. commodity beef containing a USDA inspection stamp.

Want to talk about a self defeating argument, as Agman pointed out, you guys already claim that consumers think USDA means U.S. product so what is the advantage of adding "Product of U.S." if consumers already believe USDA means U.S.????? Hello? Hello? Anybody there?

As far as Anheiser Busch's U.S. campaign, if there is a handful of "BUY U.S." consumers out there and this advertising didn't cost them a dime in segregation of U.S. barley, the small gain would be worth the limited expense of advertising. They really don't have anything to lose.

In order for the gains of advertising "U.S. Beef" to offset the costs of segregation of "U.S. Beef", you have to be differentiating your product from more than a measely 5% of the U.S. beef consumption.

When 95% of the labeled beef is "U.S. Beef" anyway, and according to you guys most consumers think USDA inspected means "U.S. product", what the hell have you gained by adding the expense of segregation?

Lastly, WHY DO YOU INSIST ON A GOVERNMENT MANDATE TO DO WHAT ANYONE CAN DO?????

Mike Callicrate's Ranch Foods Direct "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." beef proved that you don't need a government mandate to sell "U.S. beef"..

You R-CULTers are always looking to the federal government to solve your "PERCEIVED" problems for you.

~SH~

There are probably a whole bunch of good ol' boy beer drinkers that would sure prefer foreign made beer to American produced soda pop. Here is a question for the patriotic producers--which would appeal to your taste buds the best, foreign beef or American chicken? How many hard core R-Calfers drive foreign made pickups and feed hay with Belarus tractors? I have to admit one of my Agco Allis tractors was made in Treviglio, Italy, and the more recent model was made in France. Parts for my American assembled Ford pickups were made in Canada and Mexico. If a true blue American was a purist, he wouldn't drive a vehicle at all because there is sure a mighty good chance there would be some foreign produced gas running through the motor.

I am a patriotic American, and love my country very dearly. But I am also a bargain hunter, as are most Americans. Most folks tend to look out for their pocket books first and their convictions second. This is just my view looking through the sharp spines of the soapweed.

Latest posts