• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA to appeal Montana court decision

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
U.S. Agriculture Department expected to go to bat for Canadian cattlemen

OTTAWA, Mar 16, 2005 (The Canadian Press via COMTEX) -- The U.S. Agriculture Department is moving to counter a Montana court ruling that is keeping the border closed to young Canadian cattle, sources say.

The department was expected to announce Wednesday how it will fight the ruling, which prevented the border from reopening to young cattle as scheduled March 7, the U.S. government sources said.

The department was expected to appeal the ruling but might also take other action, said one source on condition of anonymity.

The border has been closed since a BSE infected cow was discovered in Alberta in May, 2003.

Congressional auditors told the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday that it's not doing enough to enforce the ban on feed linked to the spread of mad-cow disease.

The FDA said it believes its inspection approach to the feed-ban rule is adequate.

"U.S. Agriculture Department expected to go to bat for Canadian cattlemen "

I am sorry, I don't know if that headline is yours or not, but that is a very inaccurate and misleading headline. That would be treason in my mind!

That is not what the USDA has in mind.

Good point Jake!

USDA is taking a science based position period.

It has nothing to do with supporting Canada or opposing R-CULT!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Good point Jake!

USDA is taking a science based position period.

It has nothing to do with supporting Canada or opposing R-CULT!

~SH~

Which science based opinion would that be? The 30 month science or the 20 month science? Maybe the science that has no definition for "low risk"?

Sandhusker: "Which science based opinion would that be? The 30 month science or the 20 month science? Maybe the science that has no definition for "low risk"?"

The 30 month science.

Certainly not R-CULT's unproven "isolationist" driven BSE fear mongering position.

~SH~

Actually, if everyone could see past the end of their noses, and think a little into the future, they are really going to bat for the American cattleman. That's OK with us. :)

Moves made now to set a new standard are the best insurance against the finding of a positive American cow. :shock:

The 30 month science.
Listen UP GUYS an GALS That Technology is old and the NEW tests being developed can DETECT a PIRON in cut beef tissue or blood ,DEAD OR ALIVE animal at any age in less than 100 minutes.That's the new world standard thats coming whether you or your business's like it or NOT.

The 30 month science.
Listen UP GUYS an GALS That Technology is old and the NEW tests being developed can DETECT a PIRON in cut beef tissue or blood ,DEAD OR ALIVE animal at any age in less than 100 minutes.That's the new world standard thats coming whether you or your business's like it or NOT.

Of course, as you can see in the other post, the US isn't using the most current tests by a longshot.

BEST science is the newest TESTs being built, and tested for BSE detection in animals an meat are getting better everyday.Faster and cheaper and detecting in any age animal is going to be the norm.The NMA and NCBA and its mercenaries will have to go underground when the truth is known.

PORKER said:
BEST science is the newest TESTs being built, and tested for BSE detection in animals an meat are getting better everyday.Faster and cheaper and detecting in any age animal is going to be the norm.The NMA and NCBA and its mercenaries will have to go underground when the truth is known.

Response...The truth-are you referring to the possibility that U.S. beef may not be as safe as claimed? If that proves to be the case then R-Calf's claim about American beef will go up in flames-everyone else's beef is unsafe. Have a great day.

Agman, "Response...The truth-are you referring to the possibility that U.S. beef may not be as safe as claimed? If that proves to be the case then R-Calf's claim about American beef will go up in flames-everyone else's beef is unsafe. Have a great day."

Beef that has passed the test is safe. Would your clients see any value in that?

Sandhusker: "Beef that has passed the test is safe."

Why isn't R-CALF promoting testing of UTM Canadian cattle?

~SH~

~SH~ said:

~SH~

They have been all along! Want to bet on this? :wink:

Mike,

Are you suggesting that R-CALF would allow the importation of cattle under 30 months of age if they were BSE tested??

~SH~

SH:"Are you suggesting that R-CALF would allow the importation of cattle under 30 months of age if they were BSE tested??"

You have changed your question to suit your argument. Try again!

~SH~ said:

~SH~

I know it's not your style, but if you would stop and think about it, you would realize what a silly question that is.

The real question is why aren't the Canadians promoting testing of UTM cattle?

Divert and Discredit.

You two make a good team.

Why don't you just answer the damn question?

If Canada BSE tested UTM cattle would R-CALF oppose opening the Canadian border to UTM cattle that are now coming down in boxes?

Yes or no?

~SH~

I don't know about the others but I am aginst the us importing any beef from Canada. Boxed, live or any other way. At least untill we get our export markets.

~SH~ said:
Divert and Discredit.
You two make a good team.
Why don't you just answer the damn question?
If Canada BSE tested UTM cattle would R-CALF oppose opening the Canadian border to UTM cattle that are now coming down in boxes?
Yes or no?
~SH~

Your being the "MASTER" of diversion should qualify you to see that you are the one diverting from your original question.

The answer to your diversional question above could better be addressed by e-mailing R-Calf yourself.
Personally I would agree to the testing, especially by the Canadians, they have proved that they can test accurately. But I cannot speak for R-Calf.

I do not have a dog in the Border Dispute hunt, except to say that Canada, as of the recently, has been more transparent than the USDA.
At least they have a "RULE" saying that spinal cords "Must" be removed from UTM's. As far as I know we do not have that.
Discredit? Where?

Latest posts