• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Welcome to Canada Gold Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Canadians , your group on SA is getting bigger I see
http://www.scoringsystem.com/scoringsystem/sandbox/sales/america/index.cfm

Other Canadians want Country of origin CANADA!

Miller, who is a member of the Standing Committee on Agriculture and Agri-Food and chair of the National Rural Agriculture Caucus, praised the fruit growers' association for taking a proactive approach to preserving and strengthening their rural community and economy.

"It's one thing to have a viable industry today but this is more about preserving orchards and rural life for the future," he said. "I really give credit to your group for thinking about the future."

Miller said he was a big promoter of buying local and closing loopholes in food labeling regulations.

He cited the example of opening a can of grapefruit juice with Product of Canada on the label. "I don't know anywhere they grow grapefruits in Canada," he said, adding the beef industry had to deal with the same issues. If beef imported from Argentina, Australia and the United States is cut and packaged in Canada, it can be labelled as Product of Canada, he said.

Miller said the country of origin for all food products should be clearly marked.

"I believe if consumers have a choice they will support our own farmers," he said. "Support for agriculture can't just come from government, it has to come from society."

Miller also said growers have to realize the reality of the global marketplace. "We export a lot more than we use. We can't expect to ship our product out and not have our borders open – that's why we have to be competitive," he said.

Miller also said the federal government had come through for fruit growers with a transition program that pays $1,600 for growers who want to take some orchard land out of production. It was supposed to have been a joint federal and provincial program, with the province helping with the cost of replanting new trees, but according to Miller, Ontario is resisting funding their share.

Meaford orchard owner Dave Lambe said it's important for both growers and the government to think about the future.

"Look around this room – not too many people here are under 50 years old," he said. "Agriculture in Canada is in rough shape. There is some urgency out there."

Georgian Bay Fruit Growers President Brian Gilroy said the meeting with Miller was arranged two weeks ago in Ottawa when he attended the Canadian Horticulture Conference. Miller toured the region with Gilroy, who showed him the extent of orchards in the area (over 5,000 acres) and the numerous processing and packing plants that would close if the orchards disappear.

"Larry is a great listener and understands the situation in agriculture," said Gilroy. "He speaks our language and works hard on our behalf."

Randy, I don't want to pour cold well water on what sounds like a good idea and a positive initiative, but does this beef get marketed as "Canada Gold" stateside? If not then why bother.
It's like Alberta Beef Producers spending millions of the cow tax money on the "If It Ain't Alberta It Ain't Beef" campaign (I'm, with George Strait by the way, love those cowgirls in the ads) then oppose COOL. If Alberta beef is so great (It is by the way) then why hide the fact?
And why isn't APB doing it? They've got all the cow cash.

Manitoba Hog Producers Take A Stand

A grass roots hog producer meeting in Steinbach Thursday night may be the start of a revolution in the hog industry. Boyd Penner from Southeast Marketing called the meeting to encourage producers to band together and lobby government for change in the industry. The issue is country of origin labeling.

If COOL becomes law in the United States, it will prohibit Canadian born hogs from being sold on retail store shelves in America. This is causing many American hog finishers to break existing contracts and not purchase Canadian iso-weans.

Eastman Feeds General Manager Ron Friesen believes 4-million hogs need to be taken out of the market to make a difference. Grunthal area producer Lauren Wiebe says producers have been quiet way too long and may be coming to the table a little too late. He notes many producers have been pushed to the edge of financial disaster and they are now starting to react.

Weanling producer Larry Friesen says the American COOL legislation is a direct violation of the NAFTA agreement and should be stopped. Producers supported a motion to that effect. They will also ask the Canadian government to create an iso-wean disposal program and humanely dispose of up to 2-million baby pigs.

This has turned into one big mess for the hog producers here. There are a lot of big operations that solely sell isowean piglets south. There is nowhere to feed these pigs, no facilities, no barns, no feed. They are set up for farrowing only. Some barns are putting out a couple of thousand a week! These are not all corporate barns either. A good portion of them in this province are on Hutterite colonies, and they support a lot of people. These pigs go mainly to Iowa and have made a lot of money for American producers over the years.

There is a cull sow program here that will help a bit, but it's got strings attached too. I'm not so sure about a program to destroy piglets. :? A little extreme in my opinion. A sow's gestation is short enough that if they quit breeding today, the piglets just wouldn't be there in probably less time than it would take the government to come up with some kind of program.

OT, you have said lots of times that you shouldn't have to suffer financially because of the actions of another country. Is it right then for others to suffer because of the actions of another country just because that other country is yours? :???: :???:

Kato said:
OT, you have said lots of times that you shouldn't have to suffer financially because of the actions of another country. Is it right then for others to suffer because of the actions of another country just because that other country is yours? :???: :???:

If the other country hadn't been profitteering by being involved in a mafia operated fraud and deceit operation- maybe they wouldn't be suffering now that truthfulness and honesty are prevailing :wink:

What did these folks do before they shipped weaners south :???:

Kato said:
This has turned into one big mess for the hog producers here. There are a lot of big operations that solely sell isowean piglets south. There is nowhere to feed these pigs, no facilities, no barns, no feed. They are set up for farrowing only. Some barns are putting out a couple of thousand a week! These are not all corporate barns either. A good portion of them in this province are on Hutterite colonies, and they support a lot of people. These pigs go mainly to Iowa and have made a lot of money for American producers over the years.

There is a cull sow program here that will help a bit, but it's got strings attached too. I'm not so sure about a program to destroy piglets. :? A little extreme in my opinion. A sow's gestation is short enough that if they quit breeding today, the piglets just wouldn't be there in probably less time than it would take the government to come up with some kind of program.

Any businessman will tell you that you're just setting yourself up for disaster relying on only one customer.

I don't understand the rationale that thinks US citizens can't pass a law that benefits them because a small group of foreigners will get hurt.

There's a bit of a difference when the foreigners that are getting hurt are people who are in this in the first place because of a previous law that was written jointly by Americans.

Before NAFTA, trade with the U.S. was a mishmash of little deals with an endless stream of tariffs and trade obstructions that popped up at a moments notice whenever a special interest group took a notion it didn't like the way the markets were working. No one on either side of the border could make a long term plan to save their lives.

That was the purpose of the trade agreement. To establish a framework under which trade could take place. To set ground rules. To establish an environment under which plans could be made with at least some assurance that once a large investment had been made in establishing a business, there would be a reasonable expectation that the rules would be followed.

The whole hog thing in Manitoba got started with a bunch of American buyers looking for a steady large supply of weanlings to feed. Nobody drove around Iowa trying to sell piglets out of the back of a truck. :shock: We didn't come to you, you came to us. :!:

Since there is supposed to be a trade agreement between our countries that one would expect to be lived up to once it was signed, there was no reason not to do business with each other.

But as we have learned, America only follows rules when they are convenient, trade agreements or no trade agreements. Lesson learned. :!: Agreements are only good when both sides live up to them.

COOL was not intended to be a trade barrier. You can take virtually any dang law there is and make it a trade barrier if that is your mind set - just like the BS we are facing with Mexican trucks. Demanding that they be up to the same safety standards we require of domestic truckers is supposed to be a trade barrier, too. Both are rediculous.

If we are in an agreement that says we can't have a common sense consumer law like COOL on the books because it will harm foreigner's checkbooks, that's a pretty friggen stupid agreement that needs to be abolished. Let's have some priorities here.

["If COOL becomes law in the United States, it will prohibit Canadian born hogs from being sold on retail store shelves in America. "]

I guess there is more than one part of this I don't understand. (nothing new about that!) What part of COOL prohibits Canadian born hogs from being sold here?
If it is just a matter of labeling, we have been told a thousand times on this forum that cool is a waste of time and is not going to make any difference. So why the quoted statement? :???:

fedup2 said:
["If COOL becomes law in the United States, it will prohibit Canadian born hogs from being sold on retail store shelves in America. "]

I guess there is more than one part of this I don't understand. (nothing new about that!) What part of COOL prohibits Canadian born hogs from being sold here?
If it is just a matter of labeling, we have been told a thousand times on this forum that cool is a waste of time and is not going to make any difference. So why the quoted statement? :???:

"Canadian born, USA raised and processed" on the label...but that would be too simple!!!

Question for you Kato...do you think these Canadian producers displace USA any producers??????? Think about that!

Best of Luck Rkaiser...

I chose to go it on my own.. Too many people with different ideas than mine so I am working on my own program. I have been pretty busy and not checked in for awhile,

Again,

Good Luck,

PPRM

Canadian born, USA raised and processed" on the label... because the pig label or RFID tag source was in Canada on a pig farm, COOL requires traceback to the Country of Origin and all it takes is a RFID tag and a international database.

I guess my question was 'a little tongue in cheek' as I felt this statement:["If COOL becomes law in the United States, it will prohibit Canadian born hogs from being sold on retail store shelves in America.]" was pure BS!

PORKER said:
Canadian born, USA raised and processed" on the label... because the pig label or RFID tag source was in Canada on a pig farm, COOL requires traceback to the Country of Origin and all it takes is a RFID tag and a international database.

There are already Product of Canada pork products on the US store shelves today-- things such as packaged bacon and ham, that under even the old laws had to be labeled with the country of origin.....

Farmers whine- ranchers lament- and in Canada where most are both, they just cry in their Labatts while sitting at the mailbox waiting for their government check :wink: :lol: :lol:

I agree but the COOL requires a full audit trail of everybody from retailer back to the source of birth, in this case on some farm in Canada. The COOL law doesn't want some one in wholesale or processing slipping in pork from another nation without the consumer being shown a placard on the shelf denoting a source of origin.

PORKER said:
I agree but the COOL requires a full audit trail of everybody from retailer back to the source of birth, in this case on some farm in Canada. The COOL law doesn't want some one in wholesale or processing slipping in pork from another nation without the consumer being shown a placard on the shelf denoting a source of origin.

I thought they already had to tag and trace everything anyway....

Latest posts