• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What Happened to Dis?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My opinion of art is that it shouldn't be subsidized by the government. Let free enterprise, supply and demand prevail. If there is genuine interest in a certain type of art, and sales of it enable the artist to make a living, so be it, and more power to the artist. What I have a problem with is that so much of "modern art" is merely proclaimed as such by bureaucratic elitists. This modern art has no appeal of any kind, but la-dee-dah types jump on the band wagon and think it is "wundahful, dahling," because some big name movie star said it was good.

It all reminds me of the Emperor's new clothes, so silky and fine indeed, that only the tailor himself knew that the clothing didn't exist. The Emperor thought he was clothed exquisitely, and all of his constituents gasped in awe and amazement at the wonderful new suit. Finally a little child, with honesty as pure as new-driven snow, said, "But, Mommy, the Emperor is naked."

Much of modern art can be construed as such, though an onlooker can only wish it was invisible. Instead it is ugly, worthless, subsidized by the government, but ever so trendy. :?

Steve
When I made my earlier comments about Steve I wasnt talking about you. I was talking about the other one who isnt on here anymore.
R2
About Abortion
I guess what im saying is that im pro choice as long as there is a good reason for having the abortion.
About Art
Im betting the painter from PEI that you got the paintings from did not recieve government funding. My Great Uncle used to make his living as an artist<painter>. He never recieved any government funding.
Kolonuraven
Its the same deal I bet with Russel and Remington?
BTW im envious of your paintings!!!!!
You know Bush Jr cant be to bad. PBS is still on the air. Im all for the government funding educational shows like PBS.
Haha Urine in a bottle is something different though.

R2 about the Science funding
Really thats something I just dont know anything about.

Not sure where you're coming from either since you like and recognize art and enjoy and share with your kids the publically subsidized museums.

Just wanted to show that Art is not free,....and that each one of the "fringe example of NEA",....costs the Art community dearly as one point,.

Art works in general is not available to the less affluant public. even at "reasonable prices" it is a luxury......most can not afford to take in a broadway play.....with tickets at $50 plus per child.....or other culture events, .the examples you gave are also not the norm for that the goverment funds....

while it is easy to cite the worst, it is also easy to cite the best examples of the goverment art funding.......but funding the "crap" takes away from funding all your examples......

but then again I'm uninformed.......and unable to Judge...what is crap....

" Art" is that goofy looking, wadded up creation that your 4 yr old brings home from " day school" !!! You know that thing that is a " doggie".

It's as ugly as mud, can not be recognized as any known form on the planet...you still " ohhhh" and " ahhhhh" over it. Michaelangelo it ain't!!

But that's art!!! Wanna ' ban' it and thrown it out???

And Steve....my collection is on display for everyone to enjoy in a museum, on loan there till I find another suitable place where it can been seen. If it offends I'll be more than glad to yank it off the walls and place it in storage! Oh....and what about the Dali? Ya want it gone also?

Forget Broadway, Smithsonian, etc....you people are thinking way too high on the ladder.

What about school plays, community theatre, free pottery classes @ the local tech school, all things such as that.......... that's all part of art!!!

Wanna ditch the ceramics classes @ the Senior Center also???

Some of you have a definition of art that is WAY WAY too narrow!

reader (the Second) said:
As I said to JB, my son and I had a talk about self-confidence being mistaken for arrogance.
But just as often, arrogance is correctly identified for what it is. One doesn't have to be an elite eastern liberal to recognize arrogance, does one? :lol:

The Art I'm thinking of is any that is funded by the federal government.
Why should the federal government fund ART? We could use that
money for a lot of other things, way more important things.
Some of this stuff needs to be paid for by the folks who use it, like it,
care for it, nuture it.
Some of the 'Art' stuff is nothing but filth.
That's what I'm talking about. I think the schools are taken care of
by taxes in that county/state.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a hick from the sticks.

Thanks for the resume, #2. It wasn't necessary, however. Geography doesn't really matter. Even though I must question your definition of a "cow town in California". And some of us are familiar with the melting pot of homos and ultra-liberals that you call "Central Texas". It's actually an outpost of professional college students, queers, dopeheads and misfits called Austin.

No, geography doesn't really matter. The condescending attitude is all that's necessary. That's an attitude that you liberals seem to share. HMW was the same way. Nobody is quite as smart as you are, correct? Only you liberals know all the correct definitions. The rest of us are merely morons that stand in the way of advancing society.

As I said, arrogance is most often correctly identified for what it is. If the boot fits, wear it. If it doesn't...

Whew, you really did get out of bed on the wrong side :!:

Your generalization is so vast, I'm speechless at the bizarre train of thought and attitude that could have produced it.
I understand. Typical liberal response. If you can't refute the facts, just attack the source. :wink:

katrina said:
I know steve and with all honestly their isn't a one of us that would make a pimple on his butt....

TMI.
Your acquintance with the pimples on Steve's butt should remain private knowledge.
You seem to really be trying hard to start **** with Katrina for some reason.

Red Robin said:
kolanuraven said:
Love that reply R2!!!! Good one! :lol:
Wow, how articulate :roll: :roll: If you really have an opinion, let it rip in your own words.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

This thread seems to have degenerated into a liberal lovefest...
2.gif

That's quite unusual since most threads are rightwing lovefests.

Not, mind you, conservative lovefests, which wouldn't bother me.
This is a site for ranchers, in case you forgot. What would you expect?

Latest posts