• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What Happened to Dis?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Have you read the horse slaughter thread?
No, I didn't even know it was there, but since you brought it up I read the whole thing. I do wish you would have read what some of the other folks on there wrote that made perfect sense.

BTW Im disappointed to. Im a little let down with this anything for a $ mindset.
Why do you negate the fact that there are people who cannot afford to have the vet put down a horse for them and they turn their horses loose to starve to death?

Does that slow and painful death seem more humane to you than selling that same horse to a packing plant where it will be killed as fast and as painless as possible?

Frankly, I would think that you would have a little more compassion for those horses after reading how much you claim to care about their wellbeing.

Why do you negate the fact that there are people who cannot afford to have the vet put down a horse for them and they turn their horses loose to starve to death?

I remember growing up that every once in a while, a tame dog or cat would show up....we were ussually saw a car stop and dump the animal off...once when I was older it happened as I was getting ready to go into town,,, I picked up the cat....(it was old...and sick)...and drove into town to find the car...

seems the cat belonged to an older lady, the vet said it was ill and that she should put it down....she couldn't bring herself to it so she dropped it in the country....so it could die in peace.....

I thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard, she asked what I was going to do with her cat....I told her I was taking my new cat home, and that I would bury it tomorrow.....(never forget the look on her face when I added after a pause while walking away)...after I shoot it.,,

but it seems this attitude that Nature will take care of sick old animals still persists.....Nature will not feed them......it will not make sure they don't suffer, or die in peace.....Nature's death is harsh....cold and without remorse....

BTW the cat died of old age...

Here is my take on the situation.

Fact: It is no more inhumane to kill a horse in a slaughter house than it is to let a horse suffer to death of old age. A dead horse is a dead horse.

Both sides have presented their arguements, and it turns out to be a wash.

What rankles my hide is that I am not trying to tell RoperAB how to dispose of his old decrepit horses.

What rankles my hide it that RoperAB (and others like him) are trying to tell me how to dispose of my old unnessary horses. The "humane" part of the equation is a non-issue. The private property rights issue is what is at stake.

Your right this has been done to death on the other thread.
Should you be able to make a horse suffer just because you own it?
Come on curse me and call me more names :lol: <shaking my head>
Cows are no different than horses and are handled the same<sarcasim>.
In places like BC where there are thousands of horses and no commercial slaughter option the horses are really suffering<sarcasim>
At Reagans funeral they almost lead an ox instead of a rescued horse.<sarcasim>
What would Ronald Reagan think of you :wink:

Soapweed said:
Fact: It is no more inhumane to kill a horse in a slaughter house than it is to let a horse suffer to death of old age. A dead horse is a dead horse.

Fact for less than one months board you can have your horse put down humanely by a vet if you dont want to do the grain and bullet deal.
But you guys dont want this or any other solution. You want to truck old Dobin to the slaughter plant to make a few hundred bucks.

What kind of a cowboy hates his horse? The kind that doesnt know anything about horses.

Horses are a tool of the business. They are sold when they have served their usefull life just like and old tractor. My favorite horse will likely get a bullet and grave. The rest are a commodity.
My experience has been that horse lovers do not make the best horse people.

The other thing you forgot to mention is that there are way more horses rearends than there are horses heads. :wink:

Every critter here on this place gets the " vet" treatment....when the time comes.

I guess I just don't have the guts or heart to pull the trigger on a friend.

I've got the money to use the vet, it isn't that expensive a cost for what I got in return from my ' friend'....so I guess I see it that I owe them the easy and comfortable way out.

So until I no longer have $50 to spare....it'll be the vet with the ' pink' shot here on this place!

The "humane" part of the equation is a non-issue.

it is when it is the "animal rights" crowds only arguement against your rights..

and it shows how thier only intent is to deny you the ability to make that decision....and not for the Horses well being.....

50 bucks is actually pretty cheap to put one down.. I have heard amounts wel in excess of 100 and than not being able to bury on site and having to call a service (Not a render mind you) to dispose of the body. this would be a zoning issue mind you.. I would have to look for the info, this was something I saw maybe 2 years ago and it was done by a horse organization that was not against the processing facilities...

I would imagine my one old vet would have charged 32 bucks to show up in the drive way, 80 bucks for the drug and than 20 bucks for administering the drug... Did I mention he was my old vet? Had him do a cow once I seem to remember the bill was huge.. I just give them a 30-06 injection now a days...

here is a pondering for you.. I believe in some municipalities the bullet to the brain of a companion animal would not be considered humane... Seem to remember one guy getting in trouble for shooting his dog in the head to put it down... Than the vet is theonly option... I doubt I would ever send a horse to Cavell but I guess I just don't feel it is my business to tell my neighbor he couldn't..

My brother called a Vet to put down an old horse, he gave it the shot charged sixty dollars and left, thirty minutes later the horse was still alive. he had to shot it himself. It is never a good idea to call a vet for seriouly ill anmials

A horse has to be shot in exactly the right spot to do the job with one
bullet. You need to draw an X on their head, marking down and across from one ear and then the other to form an X so you get the cross of the X in the right place, or you will have to shoot them again.

I could not do that. NEVER.

Ours good ones get put down by a vet. But we have sold some in the past that went for kill. We do not shoot them. If they have to be sent on a truck, we make sure they can make the trip. We also sent them direct with someone we knew. They never went to the auction first.

There is a fellow in Sheridan, Wyoming that does this very thing. The horses are at his place, well taken care of until he gets a load. Those horses never see the auction.

I can tell you about the owner of Montana Livestock Auction whose horse got on a truck headed to the plant in Texas. This was several years ago.
When he found out his horse was on the truck by mistake, he called the plant. They found the horse and sent it back and it was none the worse for wear. Close call, but everything turned out alright. They pay enough for the horses anymore that the plants don't take a chance with them. They are on feed and water. Abusing them or not feeding them won't make the plants any money. I think things were worse years ago when they paid $40 for horses. Now they pay $600 to $1000.

Old horses are a problem. And the good ones get old all too soon.

FH, I had to put down a cow this year and have had to in the past. Also had to puit downa calf that was born with its guts hanging out this year... Everytime I do it and I walk into the house my wife says I look ashen like I had seen a ghost or maybe someone had kicked me in the stomache or that I look like I am about to, gasp. cry... I can only imagine it being worse with a horse to be honest....

I am a bit of a sap when it comes to animals and a horse of my own would never go to a packer with my knowledge but that is just me. I can afford to feed them and house them even if they are "useless" and I will never have too many of them around as I am not a breeder nor do we work horses to the point of needing 3 or 4 per person.

I for one have consumned horse meat once in my life without my knowledge when I visited Paris.. I was 16 and a Junior in high school. The guide told us after the fact what we had just eaten.... Okay, gasp and shout but it actually wasn't all that bad tasting.... I wonder if knowing what it was would have made me find it unappetizing? I don't know and doubt I will ever find out.

I have been giving this topic a lot of thought.
Here is what I came up with, FWIW.

We currently have 3 horses in the retirement pasture.
One is 22 years old, hasn't been ridden since 1997 because he has
a hip problem. He is our daughters horse. One is 27 years old
and has been a GREAT horse in his day, probably still is, only he
is retired. One is 14 years old and
has navicular (which can be treated successfully for quite awhile) AND
a hock problem. 2 Strikes and you're out...

All of these horses have a home here for as long as they have a good
quality of life. Then the vet will come and we will put them down. We
couldn't always do this, however, because of space and/or finances.
While we don't have to send a horse away anymore, I think everyone should still have the RIGHT to do so. We cannot know all the situations that people face and/or why they chose to do what they do. But we live
in AMERICA where we have a choice. Sending horses to a kill plant has
been available forever. Why now, is it being challenged?

I couldn't stand to see our good ole horses being put in someone's back yard and ignored except for their kids to run up and down the road with. There are things worse than death.

Here are two of our retired horses. The bay is 22, the dun is 14:
[
IMG_0414-1.jpg

I agree totally with you Fh. I don't have but one on the retirement system right now. When my good ol' horses start not enjoying life anymore, I give them a good bait of oats and about the time they are done, I give them merciful release, with a well aimed shot. They never know what happens. They go from eating oats here to green grass beyond. And hopefully, Ill see them another time. :)

When my Dad was in poor health and we had him here at home taking care of him, he was giving me quite a little trouble one morning, as I was trying to get him up, out of bed. I told him, "You know, if you was an old cow, I'd shoot you and put you out of my and your misery."

He looked up at me with his one good eye, and I could tell he was completely alert and know exactly what I was saying and what he was saying when he replied, "I sure wish you could."

I wish I could have and wish someone could do it for me, when and if the time comes.

yes, there are things worse than death.

About shooting being inhumane. Up here the park wardens were on strike. The reason was that there sidearms and rifles are only to be used for #1 Putting their horses down if needed. #2 Putting down wildlife. They are not allowed to use their firearms for poachers or law enforcement.
Now that was actually last summer if I remember right and im not sure what they are doing now. But my point is they carry guns for the express sole purpose of putting down animals.
The seal hunt off Nefondland is done with 22 cal guns to satisfy the animal rights wackos because its the most humane way to kill an animal.
I have put down a lot of animals with a gun. Horses are easy because they dont really know what a gun is all about. You just have to be a little careful on the angle. Example if your a small kid and the horse is tall the X between the eyes and ears doesnt really work. You have to aim a little low.
Dogs know all about guns. Dont do it to his face because he knows whats coming. Give him some food and get your gun while he isnt looking and shoot him from behind in the back of the head. This way the dog doesnt know anything about it.
You see thats the deal I hate the most about horse slaughter plants. The horses are lead into a bloody kill floor. They watch the horses next to them being killed. Horses are not stupid. They know whats going to happen.
About lethal injection. This is not always the best on old animals because of circulation or poor circulation. Sometimes it can be a long death. (on old dogs anyways)
And the VEts around here all carry a 22 cal rifle just for putting down horses or cows.
Myself I prefer something a little bigger than a 22. I like a 30/30 rifle or a 44 revolver just because it would give you a slightly better margin of error i sappose. I know a 22 revolver works on cows but a little more has to be better.
Putting down animals <pets> was something I was always taught was the owners responsibility. I wont make my girl do it but my son will be doing it himself when the time comes. Its just part of the deal of owning an animal.
Believe me I have given this some thought after watching my father die of cancer. When my time comes I will eat a bullet.
Its the best way to go.
You know the reason why they dont really use firing squads anymore is because the guys doing the execution tend to miss a bit on porpose just to make the guy suffer. Its not because its inhumane if done right.

Latest posts