• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What Happened to Dis?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

About Steve
That guy was such a wack job that I wouldnt even reply to him. I did once on Bull Session and he was so into the Looney Tunes wacko club so deep that it would have been silly to even try to even have a conversation with him.

About SPCA
Maybe its different in different areas? The woman that runs it in Calgary is a nut job.

About R2 and Kolanu
Haha R2 I didnt really think of you as a liberal. I dont really class Kolanu as one either.
Please explain why you you think your a liberal or how your views are different than mine.
Same question for you Kolanu. Haha I suspect you just vote democrate because you see the Democrats as a "Southern" Political Party? Maybe im wrong?
You know I know more about Canadian Politics than I do American but in Canada its the Conservatives that actually look out best for the little guy. Mosty of our social safety nets up here where actually created by the conservatives. Its the Left up here that wants to trap everybody into poverty and make them dependant on the government. Its the left that uses poverty and hatred as their power base.

I think money to the the Arts programs is a good thing.....BUT....it's like all other organizations...it needs to be regulated and controlled under wise fiscal regulations.

FH..what you may consider vulgar is not considered such by others. Ya see...therein lies that pesky "Freedom of Speech & Expression" problem again!!

We need the arts, culture, language and ( this will hit a note here) poetry, literature, drama....etc.

We'd be a dull as a box of rocks, and about as smart without the arts!

reader (the Second) said:
I'm for stem cell research, a woman's right to choose, end-of-life decisions left up to the family, separation of religion and state, better regulation of our food and drugs, an end to the power of lobbyists, the return of statesmen and women to government, limits on campaign spending and donations, improved public education, improved diplomacy and US international relations ...

I'm not for pandering to the fringe elements neither right nor left. I'm not for paying hundreds of millions of dollars to snotnose kids in marketing and communications companies to set up falsefront internet foundations to sow dissent among Americans, I'm not for the uglification of partisan politics of the last 2 decades, I'm not for the lack of political education of the average American and the power of the television image in our political scene.

I'm for fiscal AND social responsibility.

I really dont know enough about stem cell to have an oppinion.
Abortion I go back and forth on. I know im against it being used as birth control.
Im all for end of life decisions being left to family as long as its reasonible and not under special circumstances like the husband wanting to pull the plug on his wife because he was going to divorce her anyways.
Im pro Christian because I dont want to move a way from the basic principils that our country was built on. Im scared of the groups that would try to move in and take over. Example the gays wanting to force churches to marry them. The gays wanting to adopt children.
I also dont like these fringe minorities that are trying to take away Christmas.
In Canada it was the Conservatives that gave women equal rights. To this day the Conservative party has more minority members of parliment than any other party. Conservatives up here have historicaly always been the champions of equal rights. That is except for sexual diviants that want to make a mockery of the church and drag children into their fight to normalize their life style.
About campain donations and spending
This is tricky and a big subject. The Liberals reformed it up here but they did it in such a way that it gave them an increadible advantage over all the other partys.
Its the Liberals up here who want to take away a parents right to home school. Its the Liberals up here who hate private schools and only want unionized public schools.
If your pro education in Canada you are a Conservative.
About improved diplomacy and US international relations
Well Ronald Reagan was very good at this. You know Brian Malroney was front row center at his funeral. This was no accident.
You know Regan really knew how to make friends and keep them. He was extremely popular with Conservatives in Canada. Way more popular than any other President in recent history.
You know a President does not have to be weak to be respected and liked.
Hey I have to run, talk to yah later.

We need the arts

Yea buddy. I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Arts in New York City a few years back.

Unrelated museum paintings were being displayed separately and were judged on originalty and expression.

Guess what, the winner was a painting named "Blue" and the artist was awarded $25,000.00 from the "Endowment For the Arts".

IT WAS A CANVAS ABOUT 6 FEET HIGH AND 8 WIDE COVERED WITH ONE SHADE OF BLUE PAINT............... Nothing else on it.

I sincerely thought I was "Dumb as a Rock" for not seeing the significance of that painting. :lol: :lol:

Sure was a pretty blue though.

kolanuraven said:
FH..what you may consider vulgar is not considered such by others. Ya see...therein lies that pesky "Freedom of Speech & Expression" problem again!!
Ummmmhuhh. That crucifix in the jar of urine was no doubt considered artistic by our muslim friends.

Mike said:
We need the arts

Yea buddy. I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Arts in New York City a few years back.

Unrelated museum paintings were being displayed separately and were judged on originalty and expression.

Guess what, the winner was a painting named "Blue" and the artist was awarded $25,000.00 from the "Endowment For the Arts".

IT WAS A CANVAS ABOUT 6 FEET HIGH AND 8 WIDE COVERED WITH ONE SHADE OF BLUE PAINT............... Nothing else on it.

I sincerely thought I was "Dumb as a Rock" for not seeing the significance of that painting. :lol: :lol:

Sure was a pretty blue though.

Would have been worth an additional 5k if it would have been the same color blue but named something like green. :wink: :roll: :roll: Guess that artist didn't have his/her creative juices flowing on that particular day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frankk said:
Soapweed said:
CattleRMe said:
She probably got tired of the lack of adult debate and tired of the way she was torn apart.

Ever notice how most here that get ganged up on just leave? I can think of four that aren't here from when i started and i haven't been around that long.

It is an open public forum.........what i wonder is if people with what are refered to as liberl views which are in reality more open views bother everyone so much why not try a msn private group???

CattleRMe, it isn't a "lack of adult debate" that drives these people off. It is an inablility to hold their own in these "adult debates". They can't stand the heat, so they slink on out of the kitchen with their tails between their legs.

This is precisely the reason that Liberal talk shows never last. They have no genuine substance. Conservatives like Rush Limbaugh are able to continue with their shows, because truth and logic stands the test of time.
Steve C didn't slink off, you guys couldn't stand the heat and whined until he was banned.

Soapweed I do believe in my opinion that you might be mistaken on your thought that people are not driven off of this board. In my opinion it is not the fact that they can't hold their own in the debate rather the fact that over and over they are harassed. JMHO

I also think it was a bunch of bull that SteveC got banned. Not that I agreed with everything he said but rather that because of his thoughts he was banned and everyone went on and on and on and on and on about him and stirred him up until he was banned. Why the moderator didn't see the stirring up as bad I don't understand. :???:

reader (the Second) said:
Oh yes, I'm for increased funding for scientific research, including in the area of stem cell research. The U.S. under this administration has take a large leap backwards and squandered its highly educated work force's potential in its anti science stance, its lack of funding for research, and its politicizing and lowering standards in its scientific bodies. Pandering to a minority for political gain. Notice that now that the Republicans realize that they need to change their policies to keep voters this election season they suddenly let the Plan B morning after pill be sold over the counter.

It's not about belief, it's about pandering and I'm fed up with how out of step this particular administration is with its citizens in certain areas, due to the pandering.

Well this isnt really something I know anything about.
However I dont really think its a conservative or a liberal issue. More of a current administration type thing.
I would point out though that most medical and scientific break throughs seem to come from your country. Not from places like Communest China.
The way Conservatives will eventually deal with abortion up here is with a free vote in parliment.
The liberal way is to just do it and to threaten to kick out members of parliment if they dont vote party line.
Like I said before im not against abortion depending on if the CHILD would be better off if it was not born. There are so many angles to this that its hard to sum it up.
I dont really see this as a Womans issue as much as I see it as a childs issue.
You know in lots of ways women up here have more rights than fathers.
Its hard to just say im for abortion only in the early stages. Its more complicated sometimes.

My kids both benefited greatly from being involved in creative activities. Society needs to support art although obviously not blindly.

Art: Art is often seen as belonging to one social class and excluding others. In this context, art is seen as a high-status activity associated with wealth, the ability to purchase art, and the leisure required to pursue or enjoy it....During the Renaissance artists gained an association with high status. "Fine" and expensive goods have been popular markers of status in many cultures, and continue to be so today.....At least one of the important functions of art in the 21st century is as a marker of wealth and social status.....

Making judgments of value requires a basis for criticism. At the simplest level, a way to determine whether the impact of the object on the senses meets the criteria to be considered art,...Though perception is always colored by experience, and can be necessarily subjective, ...However, art is not always or even regularly aesthetically appealing to a majority of viewers. In other words, an artist's prime motivation need not be the pursuit of the aesthetic....

so there fore if we feel it is "crap" we are socially lower caste,,..and unable to distinguish because of our lack of judgement?...

Ouch....a bit on edge there Steve!!

Ok..so you'd not like my collection of original Remington's and Russell's.... and you think they are crap.

They are art...thus they are crap by your definition.

Ok...fine by me!!

Ok..so you'd not like my collection of original Remington's and Russell's.... and you think they are crap.

I am sure your "collection" is well worth liking, , but it in itself would "exclude" most from enjoying original works, thus it even further proves that art is a "sport" of the wealthy.....But my arguement was aimed at supporting art for those who could well afford to support it themselves, the wealthy....but they feel we should shoulder the burden, so they can pat themselves on the back.....

14am231.jpg

High school plays, pottery sold at farmers' markets, free concerts in the park in the summer, cowboy poetry in South Dakota...

why I am not critizing these, it appear that you picked them because of thier broad based support.....

are you being "narrow minded" in your defination?

Where the heck did your last statement come from out of the blue?

an American art critic, professor and philosopher.,
teaching at Columbia University (NYC) since 1951, as a professor since 1966. He has been the recipient of many fellowships and grants including two Guggenheim Fellowships, ACLS, and Fulbright, and has served as Vice-President and President of the American Philosophical Association, as well as President of the American Society for Aesthetics.

the author of numerous books, including Nietzsche as Philosopher, Mysticism and Morality, The Transfiguration of the Commonplace, Narration and Knowledge, Connections to the World: The Basic Concepts of Philosophy, and Encounters and Reflections: Art in the Historical Present, a collection of art criticism which won the National Book Critics Circle Prize for Criticism in 1990. His most recent book is Unnatural Wonders: Essays from the Gap Between Art and Life .

As art critic for The Nation, he has also published numerous articles in other journals. In addition, he is an editor of the Journal of Philosophy and consulting editor for various other publications.

Prof. ...... is contributing editor of Naked Punch Review.

* Emeritus Johnsonian Professor of Philosophy

* B.A., Wayne State University (1948)
* M.A., Columbia University (1949)
* Ph.D., Columbia University (1952)

You are amazingly offbase and uninformed about what art is,

so because you are "informed" you can judge my artistic abilities?

making the ever judgemental Professor right.....in saying that only those with credentials can judge......

"Making judgments of value requires a basis for criticism. At the simplest level, a way to determine whether the impact of the object on the senses meets the criteria to be considered art,...Though perception is always colored by experience, and can be necessarily subjective, ."""

guess your right, I can't judge (or say) what I believe because my status is beneath yours in the social art world........because I am uninformed..

Did you know that millions come to the FREE Smithsonian museums each year?

as one of the "millions" whom has visited the great Smitsonian museums and collections often, and as one who took my child there at every chance I had, I am somewhat able to acknowledge that they exist....

(I actually worked in DC for a year).....I often used my lunch hour to visit obscure parts of the collections.....and if you look someday you might even see my miniscule contribution to one of the collections...

but it is not really "free"

The Smithsonian Institution is an educational and research institution and associated museum complex, administered and funded by the government of the United States and by funds from its endowment, contributions, and profits from its shops and its magazine. Most of its facilities are located in Washington, D.C

The Smithsonian Institution is established as a trust by act of Congress, and it is functionally and legally a body of the federal government.

I just got back, but I wanted to say that why can't the people who love art or are into art, support it? Why does the government spend money on
art? A lot of federal funds go into that trough.

Endowment of the Arts, I think is what it is called. There was quite a scandal a few years back as to some of the projects that were being
funded that were vile.

Latest posts